Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Who are the teams to watch in Fall of 2019?

A little homerism here but I think West Washington could have a great year. 9-3 last year running almost all soph and jrs. 

On a side note prayers and thoughts to Head coach Phillip Bowsman as he suffered a stroke Saturday. All indications (social media) are he is doing well. Regaining movement and feeling on left side of his body. Way too young for this but never want anyone to suffer moments like this.

Im looking for continued improvement from Highland under second year HC Pete Koulianos.  Still much work to be done to break into top tier of the Northwest Crossroads Conference (Lowell/Andrean)  

Obviously a homer here, but I will be interested to see what the Warsaw Tigers do in year 2 under Bart Curtis. They over exceeded my personal expectations last year, and in no way was that due to doubting the Tiger coaching staff. Implementing a completely new offensive philosophy and getting the players and community to "buy in" to it was going to be a hurdle in my opinion. However, they were only a few points away from going 10-0 in the regular season last year and even led Penn at halftime of their 1st round sectional game. A revamped out of conference schedule (replacing 4A schools Columbia City and East Noble with 5A foes Huntington North and Michigan City) and higher expectations following the "success" of 2018... I am very excited and interested to see how Warsaw does in 2019!

Edited by NLCTigerFan07
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Obviously a homer here, but I will be interested to see what the Warsaw Tigers do in year 2 under Bart Curtis. They over exceeded my personal expectations last year, and in no way was that due to doubting the Tiger coaching staff. Implementing a completely new offensive philosophy and getting the players and community to "buy in" to it was going to be a hurdle in my opinion. However, they were only a few points away from going 10-0 in the regular season last year and even led Penn at halftime of their 1st round sectional game. A revamped out of conference schedule (replacing 4A schools Columbia City and East Noble with 5A foes Huntington North and Michigan City) and higher expectations following the "success" of 2018... I am very excited and interested to see how Warsaw does in 2019!

Our freshmen team played them about mid-season to replace a game that was canceled on our schedule and beat our kids pretty soundly. I was impressed how well the line got off the ball, and how well the QB ran the offense. The future is definitely bright there.

48 minutes ago, CoachVeatch said:

South Adams had a lot of young talent this year. That Sophomore (soon to be Junior) group is stout. They sure gave us a kicking. If @Basementbias is around I'm sure he could help me out here.

Not a whole lot being an AC guy. Just know we are losing key guys and they aren't. Arnold, Besser, Gorney, and Stutzman I believe are back for SA as well as others.

18 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Gibson Southern.  

Should be very interesting.  Brady made maxpreps 2nd team all freshman and the offense returns a lot of the key players. Lost Witte though. 

Biggest issue is the losses on defense due to graduation.....2 all state players and a few other key players will need to be replaced and that’s never easy, but I know some of the kids are up for that task.

also lose an outstanding kicker 

5 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Should be very interesting.  Brady made maxpreps 2nd team all freshman and the offense returns a lot of the key players. Lost Witte though. 

Biggest issue is the losses on defense due to graduation.....2 all state players and a few other key players will need to be replaced and that’s never easy, but I know some of the kids are up for that task.

also lose an outstanding kicker 

We lost 11 on defense going into 2016.  That is never an issue at GS.  Potent offense and some nasty kids stepping up to fill holes on defense.  Get ur popcorn ready!

More Homerisms... but I can't leave out my Miners...By the end of the year the offensive side of ball had 0 seniors on the field.  And truly most all of the year there was but 1 senior on offense.  Several seniors are going to be 3 year starters at their position, and the QB Goodman will have a year under his belt at QB as a junior.  I look for the passing game to be a much bigger part with 6'2 senior Deyn Robertson at SE, and with Dyer, Howard and Lannan back in the backfield... a good balance will be key.   We started 2 sophs and a freshman on the OL... so a year of building some muscle and experience should make them improved.  Defensively  we do lose 5 starters...and gonna have to be better in the pass coverage cause that killed us last year...everyone returns for the most part in the DB unit... but there's got to be improvement..  and some of that will be getting to the QB.   We'll see..  it's unusual to have the concern on the D side in Linton.. but...there's some youth coming in that could fill those needs!   BEing that we are pretty much gonna be 2A from here on out... we will have to climb that ladder again.. and the schedule is definitely a test.  

It's tough to say without having the sectionals set yet, but the 3A sectional in southwestern part of the state has been pretty dominant lately.  Gibson Southern, Evansville Memorial (now 4A success factor), Vincennes Lincoln and Heritage Hills all have been very good in recent seasons.  Southridge possibly joining that bunch (due to success factor alone).  That could be an area of the state to watch for 3A.

On 1/14/2019 at 1:41 PM, indycoach10 said:

Teams to keep an eye on In the HHC: 

Mt. Vernon - 2nd year of Mike Kirchner at the helm with a full off season to work with. Talent is there, so I suspect a jump in year 2 will occur. Don't think they will quite be on New Pal's level, but will close the gap some. 

New Pal - Lose QB that went 24-1 and won a state title, however, they have a more than serviceable back up. Not to mention Charlie Spegal, Maxen Hook, and Kyle King all returning. Plus, Kyle Ralph is still coaching there. Look for New Pal to be the favorites for a repeat in 2019. 

Greenfield - My biggest curiosity of 2019 is Travis Nolting's first year at GC. GC was in desperate need of leadership and direction, and they have it in Travis. It will be interesting to see how his offense fares in the HHC, but have no doubt that GC will improve.... I mean it can't get worse right? 

Agree on MV and NP . . . dunno about GF . . . but you're right,  I don't think it can get worse.

• Like 1