Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Who are the teams to watch in Fall of 2019?

On 1/19/2019 at 11:48 AM, Screagle said:

Southridge with Montgomery at QB should be dangerous. Tremendous 3 sport athlete that competes year around. 

He is a great rusher....over 1000 yards I believe last season.  You have to wonder with the baseball offers if he will play football next season.

The Warsaw Tigers are, at the very least, intriguing to watch because they're on the radar. Can't hide this year! The buy-in among the seniors on the 2018 squad had a contagion among all four participating grade levels. The seniors on that squad had a rough start their freshman year, but most of them learned how to win while playing big roles on the JV squad, and they became great off-the-field citizens. They had great personalities. The "Tiger Talk" interviews were unmatched by any previous recent year. You have a few obvious leaders on field returning in 2019, almost the entire offensive line, almost all your halfbacks (you can't swing a dad cat without hitting a talented returning halfback or split end) and a few players eager to step into roles vacated by graduation. These fellas, though, have much different personalities from this last season's senior bunch. However, the staff knows what it takes to get the best out of each senior class. They are probably already looking for leaders in the weight room. That's where it started last year. Most of those guys on the 2018 7-3 team were one-year/two-year JV starters and intermittent role players champing at the bit for their upcoming bigger Friday night role. At least a dozen of them were insane in the weight room, and they took ownership long before June conditioning opportunities began.

Edited by HSFBFan64

1 hour ago, superjay said:

Noblesville!  Competitive in most every game last year.  Went toe to toe with Avon and Brownsburg at the end of season.  Starting out with Cathedral and Carmel is pretty brutal.

What are the general opinions about frontloading a team's non-conference schedule?  Is it worth the risk of potentially starting the season 0-2?  0-3?  Even 0-4?  I remember a pretty good Lowell team who started 1-4, only to rattle off ten straight and win the state championship, but this has to be few and far between.

17 minutes ago, HanShotFirst said:

What are the general opinions about frontloading a team's non-conference schedule?  Is it worth the risk of potentially starting the season 0-2?  0-3?  Even 0-4?  I remember a pretty good Lowell team who started 1-4, only to rattle off ten straight and win the state championship, but this has to be few and far between.

My personal opinion...starting off 0-3 to non conference opponents could be hit or miss.

if your team is competitive and all the games are close but lose all of them, that is much better down the stretch than just scheduling powerhouses in your area and getting blownout. 

If you front load with balanced competition, I think it’s great as it will get your team into better game condition going down the stretch. Likely only benefits and the players will still be mentally on board. 

If you just get blown-out every game, likely will be tough sledding all year and kids will start to check out if you don’t get some wins.

just my thoughts on the matter.  Could see it both helping and hurting depending on how good your team is and the opponents you face 

40 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

My personal opinion...starting off 0-3 to non conference opponents could be hit or miss.

if your team is competitive and all the games are close but lose all of them, that is much better down the stretch than just scheduling powerhouses in your area and getting blownout. 

If you front load with balanced competition, I think it’s great as it will get your team into better game condition going down the stretch. Likely only benefits and the players will still be mentally on board. 

If you just get blown-out every game, likely will be tough sledding all year and kids will start to check out if you don’t get some wins.

just my thoughts on the matter.  Could see it both helping and hurting depending on how good your team is and the opponents you face 

I'm with you - seems rather subjective.  Especially if you are a smaller school playing larger competition.  If you are a 4A program and start 0-2 against 6A programs, that's to be expected, right?  One hopes you are able to match the physicality of those programs, thinking this will pay dividends when you match up with a program your own size.  Just have to hope the team stays healthy to make it to that point.

Curious if there are other examples out there like the 2005 Red Devils?  I remember a LaPorte team finishing 4-5 and making it to the Dome.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2019 at 12:49 PM, Staxawax said:

Until proven otherwise, Avon and Brownsburg should rule the HCC.  The 2 Fishers schools (HSE and Fishers) have slipped the last few years and that's disappointing.  Westfield is rebuilding and Zionsville will be a tough matchup.

Westfield is not rebuilding.. last years junior class has been one of the best in Westfield history. They were undefeated in JV as Sophomores. Last years JV lost once.

16 hours ago, Coach P said:

Westfield is not rebuilding.. last years junior class has been one of the best in Westfield history. They were undefeated in JV as Sophomores. Last years JV lost once.

Yeah, I meant they have been rebuilding.  I think the 'Rocks will be a force in 6A football for a good while.

On 1/17/2019 at 11:05 AM, Screagle said:

Heritage Hills 

Heritage Hills should be loaded with mostly Senior starters. This class went 7-1 in 7th grade, 7-0 in 8th grade, 8-0 as freshman , As sophomores  with 4 or 5 of them playing varsity the JV was 5-1-1 and with most of them varsity last season the varsity went 10-1.

That said if we want to make a post season run must be able to pass the ball more, last season HH ran the ball 474 times and only threw 66 passes, You wont make a post season run passing 12% of the time 3A is too tough to be one dimensional  .

Don't get me wrong love the Flexbone but  personally feel we need to pass at least 30% of the time to keep defenses honest.  

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:41 PM, indycoach10 said:

Look for New Pal to be the favorites for a repeat in 2019. 

Not so fast Indy Coach. Snider and Dwenger might have a say this year. It will be a fight to the end. Slight edge to Dwenger..............they hoist the 2019 state championship 5a trophy.  Or.................Snider/New Pal rematch? 5a will be interesting this year, to say the least.

6 hours ago, indycoach10 said:

Yeah, but New Pal will be coming out of the south which will be missing Roncalli, Cathedral, and Columbus East. Granted, Decatur Central is still there, but the north is a much more difficult path. Didn't say that they will run away with it, but they return a lot from a 5A state team where no one came within 14 points of them. I would say they are definitely the favorites, but yes, there will be challengers.

Good luck to New Pal, it sounds like they have a heck of a team coming back for 2019. Whoever makes it out of the north will welcome the challenge.

On 3/26/2019 at 1:44 PM, BTF said:

Good luck to New Pal, it sounds like they have a heck of a team coming back for 2019. Whoever makes it out of the north will welcome the challenge.

New Pal has several big holes to fill at QB, center, and LB.  The do return 3 starting OL, 3 WR, 2 DL, 1 LB, their entire secondary, and 1 RB.

What does Snider/Dwenger have returning?

30 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

New Pal has several big holes to fill at QB, center, and LB.  The do return 3 starting OL, 3 WR, 2 DL, 1 LB, their entire secondary, and 1 RB.

What does Snider/Dwenger have returning?

Snider has QB returning (Barnes), experienced RB (Bennett), returning WR (Derrick) a P5  D1 O lineman so I think the will be pretty good on O. On D side a very good DT (Bellzaire) and a few LB and DB's from last years team. They are usually able to reload fairly easy, so if they can get by the Saints, the regional and semi state should not be as tough as sectional match up. 

2 hours ago, psaboy said:

Snider has QB returning (Barnes), experienced RB (Bennett), returning WR (Derrick) a P5  D1 O lineman so I think the will be pretty good on O. On D side a very good DT (Bellzaire) and a few LB and DB's from last years team. They are usually able to reload fairly easy, so if they can get by the Saints, the regional and semi state should not be as tough as sectional match up. 

Should be fun!  Looking forward to it.  I think everyone expects 5A to be down with losses of East, Roncalli, and Cathedral, but I still think it will be a battle!

15 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

Should be fun!  Looking forward to it.  I think everyone expects 5A to be down with losses of East, Roncalli, and Cathedral, but I still think it will be a battle!

Only down slightly as a result of losing three and gaining two. The quality of teams are the same.