Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

4A Discussion

Coach Gillin took Tri-West to the state Finals in 1989.  They lost to FW Leurs by a last second field goal 24-22; which gave Coach Lindsay his first of many state titles.  Anyone that was there will recall the controversy of time of when the the clocked stopped while running back was still in the air at the Hoosier Dome at the 1 or 2 yard line.  That is the the only time Coach Gillin has been to the dance in Indy.  I played for Coach at DC....I hope he can pull it off and shake the demons that have haunted some very good teams (Tri-West/DC/ Creek) over the years.

2 hours ago, CoachJones35 said:

Coach Gillin took Tri-West to the state Finals in 1989.  They lost to FW Leurs by a last second field goal 24-22; which gave Coach Lindsay his first of many state titles.  Anyone that was there will recall the controversy of time of when the the clocked stopped while running back was still in the air at the Hoosier Dome at the 1 or 2 yard line.  That is the the only time Coach Gillin has been to the dance in Indy.  I played for Coach at DC....I hope he can pull it off and shake the demons that have haunted some very good teams (Tri-West/DC/ Creek) over the years.

He was clearly out of bounds and down.  🙂  

2 hours ago, CoachJones35 said:

Thanks for the history lesson.  I never knew.  Just went by Mr. Harrell's site which does not go back to the 80s unless you look at the "state finals history" tab.  I should've been more thorough.

Mooresville is loaded on the line on both sides of the ball.  A few really good athletes just happen to be sprinkled in as well making them one heck of a team.  They are going to be tough to beat, but from what I hear about Memorial, this could be a GREAT GAME!  Good luck to both squads and stay healthy!

1 hour ago, Ryan11p said:

Hobarts D is to much for East Noble they advance 

Hobart by at least17

Memorial wins by 3

Hobart beats Memorial for the championship by at least 14

If Memorial gets back to LOS, I think that it gives them a big advantage having played there the last two years. These are 16-18 year old kids, big games at high school stadiums are one thing, but playing at LOS under those circumstances is an entirely different animal if you haven’t ever experienced it before. JMO

1 minute ago, ShakeDownTheThunder said:

Hobarts D is to much for East Noble they advance 

Hobart by at least17

Well East Noble is the home team and Hobart's been at home 5 out of the last 6 weeks, I think that 2.5 hour drive hurts Hobart and East Noble gets the win, but defense does win Championships!  Should be a great game!

5 minutes ago, ShakeDownTheThunder said:

If Memorial gets back to LOS, I think that it gives them a big advantage having played there the last two years. These are 16-18 year old kids, big games at high school stadiums are one thing, but playing at LOS under those circumstances is an entirely different animal if you haven’t ever experienced it before. JMO

Yes, I think Memorial's experience at LOS gives them a HUGE advantage!  Some teams handle it better than others but I think Memorial won't make the bright lights mistakes that some teams do at LOS so I see them with their 2nd State Championship in 3 years (but playing the Regional and Semi-State both at home is the main factor that they even have the opportunity to win another State Championship).

• Kill me now 1

Responding to both comments both valid points travel time and Memorial having legit experience at LOS both great points. My response would be #1 from my coaching exp defenses travel better than offenses. As far as Memorials experience super valuable, I would suggest that the only thing better is being from a town like Hobart with a rich football history like ours, a coaching staff that lived the glory years of the past. Serveral of the parents involved with this team were the players winning state titles. Most important a group of kids and have dreamed of being the ones who bring Hobart to the forefront once again. I would take that over LOS playing exp. But with respect to East Noble you definitely have to devote 100% focus on them and I have never met or worked with a group of kids and coaches that show as much respect to each opponent as Hobart. Maybe it's just past experience of this coaching staff but Hobart does the best job i have ever seen at the 1 game at time concept.

Edited by Ryan11p