Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Shovel Mishawaka Football Field

On the news this morning they were asking for adults to come to Mishawaka High School today to help shovel off the field.  We had like 6" of snow Monday night into Tuesday.

It is suppose to get over freezing tomorrow but then in the evening fall into the 20's

Not sure what this field will be like Friday night.

15 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Maybe Mishawaka got more snow than Valpo, but I saw where Valpo had their grass practice field (MS field) cleared for last evenings practice.

They probably also have sushi as a lunch menu option in their "cafe"...

Move the game to Valpo so I can attend!! 

Wasn't there a game between these 2 schools in the early 90s where they played on a frozen field at Valpo? I could be wrong (or have the wrong 2 schools) but I thought there was a snowstorm and the custodial staff tried watering the field, not sure why, and it all froze turning the playing surface into an ice rink. 

1 minute ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Move the game to Valpo so I can attend!! 

Wasn't there a game between these 2 schools in the early 90s where they played on a frozen field at Valpo? I could be wrong (or have the wrong 2 schools) but I thought there was a snowstorm and the custodial staff tried watering the field, not sure why, and it all froze turning the playing surface into an ice rink. 

There most certainly was, and I was the Referee on that game. Valpo had a big lead and appeared in control. Mishawaka mounted a furious comeback on the strength, of all things, of their passing game. Al Smith was the coach at Mishawaka, and his attitude toward the forward pass was somewhere to the right of Woody Hayes. 😅 Outside the hashes the field was OK, but between the hashes was solid ice. The big play that won it for the Cavemen was a long punt return TD where the returner literally skated right down the middle of the field.

Perhaps @maroonman can confirm my recollection, if he’s lurking out there somewhere.

5 minutes ago, Bobref said:

There most certainly was, and I was the Referee on that game. Valpo had a big lead and appeared in control. Mishawaka mounted a furious comeback on the strength, of all things, of their passing game. Al Smith was the coach at Mishawaka, and his attitude toward the forward pass was somewhere to the right of Woody Hayes. 😅 Outside the hashes the field was OK, but between the hashes was solid ice. The big play that won it for the Cavemen was a long punt return TD where the returner literally skated right down the middle of the field.

Perhaps @maroonman can confirm my recollection, if he’s lurking out there somewhere.

I believe it was current Mishawaka councilman Matt Mammolenti who returned that punt! Must have been 90 or 91

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Is this the same year that Mishawaka came to LC in the post season?  Fall of 91.

1 hour ago, Indian72 said:

Does anyone know when the IHSAA could step in and move a game due to poor field conditions?

There are a few great fields within 20 miles of MHS that have turf

No, I don't know the answer, but I think Penn has a real nice field they won't be using for a while......😀

2 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

Is this the same year that Mishawaka came to LC in the post season?  Fall of 91.

Think 91 was the year Mishawaka made it to semi state, only to get blown out by Penn like 41-0. Think they played LC the year before, and again were shut out like 24-0. I'm getting old so my memory may be way off!

3 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

They came to LC in '90. In '91 they beat Portage in 2nd Round 13-12 in Mishawaka, won Sectional's at Valpo in the game mentioned above, beat Crown Point in Regionals, and lost to Penn in Semi-State. I was at the Portage game as a 7th grader. Man, that was brutal weather that week as well. It's pretty crazy though, at least to me, that Penn and Mishawaka didn't meet each other until SEMI-STATE. It's not like 5A was just a 32 team class back then. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Da Region said:

No, I don't know the answer, but I think Penn has a real nice field they won't be using for a while......😀

I think the last thing Mishawaka would want to do is host a playoff game at Penn. Maybe play game at School Field?

7 hours ago, Bobref said:

It was 1991.  Sectional championship.  The middle of the field was solid ice.

Valpo led 19-6 at the half and was "comfortably" ahead 26-6 in the third quarter.  But after Valpo's TD to go up by 20, the Cavemen held them to only 1 first down for the rest of the game.

The punt return occurred with 1:41 remaining in the third quarter - and yes @WolvesOnTheProwl, it was Mammolenti.  He slipped and slid and at one point did a 360 spin, but somehow kept his feet and ran it back for a 64 yard touchdown.  Mishawaka went for 2 and failed, making the score 26-12.

After a Valpo punt, Mishawaka did use the pass because their running game was going nowhere.  The Cavemen scored on an 11 play drive (5 passes).  The touchdown was a 10 yard pass.

After another Valpo punt, Mishawaka needed only 3 plays (2 passes) to go 30 yards to the Vikings 35 yard line where Mammolenti broke free for the touchdown run to tie the game at 26.  Mishawaka made the PAT and went ahead 27-26 with 2:30 remaining.

Valpo had one last chance but Mishawaka intercepted a pass at the Valpo 30 and ran out the clock. 

The Cavemen went on to defeat Crown Point in the regional, 14-7.  They lost to Penn in the semi-state game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Boilernation said:

They came to LC in '90. In '91 they beat Portage in 2nd Round 13-12 in Mishawaka, won Sectional's at Valpo in the game mentioned above, beat Crown Point in Regionals, and lost to Penn in Semi-State. I was at the Portage game as a 7th grader. Man, that was brutal weather that week as well. It's pretty crazy though, at least to me, that Penn and Mishawaka didn't meet each other until SEMI-STATE. It's not like 5A was just a 32 team class back then. 

This was back when Mishawaka had some great sectional games vs valpo, like 3 straight years including a game I saw as a 7th grader with Mishawaka recovering an onside kick and kicking a field goal as time expired to win. Penn was east and Mishawaka went west when it came tourney time. 

1 minute ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

This was back when Mishawaka had some great sectional games vs valpo, like 3 straight years including a game I saw as a 7th grader with Mishawaka recovering an onside kick and kicking a field goal as time expired to win. Penn was east and Mishawaka went west when it came tourney time. 

Thank you all for the fantastic information. 

I got my years wrong and thank you all for clarifying it. It was the LC class of 91 (fall of 90) that hosted Mish. I was at that game at the old Burial Grounds. I was in 7th grade. That LC team started 21 seniors (at 1 point I believe had all starters that were seniors....until a junior replaced a senior at QB.  That D was so deep, future Nebraska star and nfl d lineman, Jared Tomich was the 5th d lineman) and ended up losing at Marion in SS, 10-7. 

48 minutes ago, Wedgebuster said:

That's Awesome!   Huge fan of those mid 90s Nebraska Teams!   Tomich, Winstrom , and all the other Rush Ends they had back then were STUDS!!!

They were. They sure were. 

10 hours ago, Indian72 said:

Does anyone know when the IHSAA could step in and move a game due to poor field conditions?

There are a few great fields within 20 miles of MHS that have turf

They can and they will. They moved the Dwenger/ Lowell game back in 2017.