Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Shovel Mishawaka Football Field

10 hours ago, Mebuck said:

They can and they will. They moved the Dwenger/ Lowell game back in 2017.

AT this late stage I doubt if they will.  The snow is not melting fast around here and any wetness will refreeze.  I am anxious to see video of the game Friday night

• Like 1

Icey field conditions benefited New Prairie in their 2014 run to Lucas. Final play of the game against Lowell in Regionals. Lowell goes for the 2 and win. Their stud back Ike James slips on a chunk of ice and comes up short.

Keep the field as it is, Mishawaka! Valpo is used to playing on their shag carpet.

3 hours ago, Indian72 said:

AT this late stage I doubt if they will.  The snow is not melting fast around here and any wetness will refreeze.  I am anxious to see video of the game Friday night

They did it to Dwenger and Lowell in 2016. We didn't have any idea were we were hosting till the Monday before the game.

23 hours ago, Bobref said:

There most certainly was, and I was the Referee on that game. Valpo had a big lead and appeared in control. Mishawaka mounted a furious comeback on the strength, of all things, of their passing game. Al Smith was the coach at Mishawaka, and his attitude toward the forward pass was somewhere to the right of Woody Hayes. 😅 Outside the hashes the field was OK, but between the hashes was solid ice. The big play that won it for the Cavemen was a long punt return TD where the returner literally skated right down the middle of the field.

Perhaps @maroonman can confirm my recollection, if he’s lurking out there somewhere.

I was the quarterback on that team...and YES, we RARELY threw the ball, but it was our ONLY option as our running game was stuffed in the 1st half.  Besides winning such a thrilling game, the second best memory of that game was after.  The SB Tribune and The NW Indiana Times asked Coach Smith and myself to stick around in our "makeshift locker room" by the football field (it was a garage).  We were both interviewed about the game and walked out of the garage expecting the school bus to be there so we could hitch a ride back to Valpo High School to change/warm up for our trip home.  When we walked out we realized the bus had already went back to the school and Coach Smith and I RAN back to the high school because it was so cold.  It was the ONLY time I ever saw Coach Smith run.  

Side Note:  Coach Smith was and is one of the all-time greatest men to ever coach in Indiana!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FormerCoach said:

I was the quarterback on that team...and YES, we RARELY threw the ball, but it was our ONLY option as our running game was stuffed in the 1st half.  Besides winning such a thrilling game, the second best memory of that game was after.  The SB Tribune and The NW Indiana Times asked Coach Smith and myself to stick around in our "makeshift locker room" by the football field (it was a garage).  We were both interviewed about the game and walked out of the garage expecting the school bus to be there so we could hitch a ride back to Valpo High School to change/warm up for our trip home.  When we walked out we realized the bus had already went back to the school and Coach Smith and I RAN back to the high school because it was so cold.  It was the ONLY time I ever saw Coach Smith run.  

Side Note:  Coach Smith was and is one of the all-time greatest men to ever coach in Indiana!

What a great memory ... and you’re absolutely correct about Coach Smith.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FormerCoach said:

Shout out to #3, who had 3 straight sectional starts vs Valpo in the early 90s (and was 3-0 I might add!)

• Like 1