Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Indian72

Shovel Mishawaka Football Field

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Mebuck said:

They can and they will. They moved the Dwenger/ Lowell game back in 2017.

AT this late stage I doubt if they will.  The snow is not melting fast around here and any wetness will refreeze.  I am anxious to see video of the game Friday night

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

So who does a snow and ice covered field benefit more, valpo or Mishawaka?

The Cavemen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Icey field conditions benefited New Prairie in their 2014 run to Lucas. Final play of the game against Lowell in Regionals. Lowell goes for the 2 and win. Their stud back Ike James slips on a chunk of ice and comes up short.

Keep the field as it is, Mishawaka! Valpo is used to playing on their shag carpet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Indian72 said:

AT this late stage I doubt if they will.  The snow is not melting fast around here and any wetness will refreeze.  I am anxious to see video of the game Friday night

They did it to Dwenger and Lowell in 2016. We didn't have any idea were we were hosting till the Monday before the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Bobref said:

There most certainly was, and I was the Referee on that game. Valpo had a big lead and appeared in control. Mishawaka mounted a furious comeback on the strength, of all things, of their passing game. Al Smith was the coach at Mishawaka, and his attitude toward the forward pass was somewhere to the right of Woody Hayes. 😅 Outside the hashes the field was OK, but between the hashes was solid ice. The big play that won it for the Cavemen was a long punt return TD where the returner literally skated right down the middle of the field.

Perhaps @maroonman can confirm my recollection, if he’s lurking out there somewhere.

I was the quarterback on that team...and YES, we RARELY threw the ball, but it was our ONLY option as our running game was stuffed in the 1st half.  Besides winning such a thrilling game, the second best memory of that game was after.  The SB Tribune and The NW Indiana Times asked Coach Smith and myself to stick around in our "makeshift locker room" by the football field (it was a garage).  We were both interviewed about the game and walked out of the garage expecting the school bus to be there so we could hitch a ride back to Valpo High School to change/warm up for our trip home.  When we walked out we realized the bus had already went back to the school and Coach Smith and I RAN back to the high school because it was so cold.  It was the ONLY time I ever saw Coach Smith run.  

Side Note:  Coach Smith was and is one of the all-time greatest men to ever coach in Indiana!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The snow cant possibly make that field any worse. The field was awful even in good conditions. Sand and holes everywhere. Maybe they should've spent a couple dollars on their grass instead of a jumbotron.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FormerCoach said:

I was the quarterback on that team...and YES, we RARELY threw the ball, but it was our ONLY option as our running game was stuffed in the 1st half.  Besides winning such a thrilling game, the second best memory of that game was after.  The SB Tribune and The NW Indiana Times asked Coach Smith and myself to stick around in our "makeshift locker room" by the football field (it was a garage).  We were both interviewed about the game and walked out of the garage expecting the school bus to be there so we could hitch a ride back to Valpo High School to change/warm up for our trip home.  When we walked out we realized the bus had already went back to the school and Coach Smith and I RAN back to the high school because it was so cold.  It was the ONLY time I ever saw Coach Smith run.  

Side Note:  Coach Smith was and is one of the all-time greatest men to ever coach in Indiana!

What a great memory ... and you’re absolutely correct about Coach Smith.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly don't think it's going to matter.  Valpo by 14.

I could certainly be wrong.  Mishawaka is always a tough place to play, but Valpo is really, really good folks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FormerCoach said:

I was the quarterback on that team...and YES, we RARELY threw the ball, but it was our ONLY option as our running game was stuffed in the 1st half.  Besides winning such a thrilling game, the second best memory of that game was after.  The SB Tribune and The NW Indiana Times asked Coach Smith and myself to stick around in our "makeshift locker room" by the football field (it was a garage).  We were both interviewed about the game and walked out of the garage expecting the school bus to be there so we could hitch a ride back to Valpo High School to change/warm up for our trip home.  When we walked out we realized the bus had already went back to the school and Coach Smith and I RAN back to the high school because it was so cold.  It was the ONLY time I ever saw Coach Smith run.  

Side Note:  Coach Smith was and is one of the all-time greatest men to ever coach in Indiana!

Shout out to #3, who had 3 straight sectional starts vs Valpo in the early 90s (and was 3-0 I might add!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Shout out to #3, who had 3 straight sectional starts vs Valpo in the early 90s (and was 3-0 I might add!)

Shout to legendary Caveman #28!!!    STUD 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think now that Krutz is back for valpo this game isn’t close. That young man is the leader of an already impressive defense. He’s been injured most of the season. I think valpo’s defense shuts down the slow Mishawaka offense. Not too sure I trust opperman tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...