Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Best Young Coaches In the State

2 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

Who you callin' old! lol Tell him @Coach Nowlin 25 and going strong for how many years now? Are we counting actual age or age at heart?

Oh, I understand old ... I'm probably old enough to be @Coach Nowlin's dad ... not that I'm admitting to anything mind you. 😀

Awe Shucks fellas.  :classic_love:

I just turned 40, I am pretty well land locked in Crown Point and I do love my Bombers.    I do not need a fancy title at this point me my life, but you never know what shakes down the future lane.   I would take our offense to any school 6a on down who are not afraid to run the ball 85% of the time for a high success rate.  

6 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I just turned 40, I am pretty well land locked in Crown Point and I do love my Bombers.    I do not need a fancy title at this point me my life, but you never know what shakes down the future lane.   I would take our offense to any school 6a on down who are not afraid to run the ball 85% of the time for a high success rate.  

Major part of a winning formula right there!

tick-tick-tick-tick-TICK!

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

85%.....feels a little low coach. lol

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Major part of a winning formula right there!

tick-tick-tick-tick-TICK!

People do not realize that Time of Possession might be the number 1 stat that can consistently even games.   In my opinion,  New Prairie was much better than Mishawaka this year, far more than the 1 point we won by,  but we only had the ball for something like 10 plays the entire 2nd half..............those Caveman run that clock on everyone.  Even more devastating if you can get a turnover. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, CoachVeatch said:

I'd sure hate to have to gameplan it. But I enjoy watching it

Last year Cass had to plan for it twice in three weeks...Ugh!  It is not fun.  Very hard to simulate in practice.  It takes about two series to get up to speed.  By then you are down 14 before you can blink.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Wedgebuster said:

People do not realize that Time of Possession might be the number 1 stat that can consistently even games.   In my opinion,  New Prairie was much better than Mishawaka this year, far more than the 1 point we won by,  but we only had the ball for something like 10 plays the entire 2nd half..............those Caveman run that clock on everyone.  Even more devastating if you can get a turnover. 

2009 RCHS vs Wheeler game.  Wheeler had some sick dudes on offense, was running up tempo,  a bunch of formations to keep you scrambling.   

We got down 12 to start the game and clawed back to make it 14-12 at halftime then got the ball to start the 3rd quarter.  Held it the entire quarter and scored on 1st play of the 4th quarter.   

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/indiana/rensselaer-plays-keep-away-from-wheeler-defends-title/article_82a8f050-71d5-5e55-bb1b-cdf66f8946cd.html

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

2009 RCHS vs Wheeler game.  Wheeler had some sick dudes on offense, was running up tempo,  a bunch of formations to keep you scrambling.   

We got down 12 to start the game and clawed back to make it 14-12 at halftime then got the ball to start the 3rd quarter.  Held it the entire quarter and scored on 1st play of the 4th quarter.   

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/indiana/rensselaer-plays-keep-away-from-wheeler-defends-title/article_82a8f050-71d5-5e55-bb1b-cdf66f8946cd.html

The drive featured 22 plays, all but one of them runs, three fourth-down conversions as well as another on third and 11. Bohannon tooted the ball 14 times on that possession alone.

This line from the attached article made me chuckle a bit!  Seems to be many more of these types of typos than in yesteryear. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Wedgebuster said:

Press Coverage of HS Sports is not what it once was.  I think NWI Times and Region Sports does a good job compared to what we get up here. 

I would agree, but Times has switched to a new model, it used to send out a bunch of reporters each Friday, had multiple articles a week, a couple feature stories a week, predictions, stats, the whole 9 yards.  

Old guard, Jim Peters, Steve Hanlon ( @Bobref buddy) Al Hamnik all left within last year or so.    I know the newspaper business has changed, but it has affected local prep beat.   

19 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

Last year Cass had to plan for it twice in three weeks...Ugh!  It is not fun.  Very hard to simulate in practice.  It takes about two series to get up to speed.  By then you are down 14 before you can blink.

Not always.  😉

Edited by Guest

59 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I was in attendance for that game.  One of the best drives I have ever witnessed.  Bohannon carried the load for the Bombers.  He was a great player and an even better kid!  

Wheeler had a great offense, but couldn't utilize it because the Bombers kept the clock ticking.

• Like 1

Mike Davidson at Mishawaka Marian...19-6 in two season...he is the HC and DC and over the course of those two years his defenses have averaged giving up only 9.8 pts/game.  Not to mention he has won 2 sectionals a regional and is playing for another regional championship tonight.  Pretty impressive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I would agree, but Times has switched to a new model, it used to send out a bunch of reporters each Friday, had multiple articles a week, a couple feature stories a week, predictions, stats, the whole 9 yards.  

Old guard, Jim Peters, Steve Hanlon ( @Bobref buddy) Al Hamnik all left within last year or so.    I know the newspaper business has changed, but it has affected local prep beat.   

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

There are some good young coaches coming up in the WRC right now. None are Varsity head coaches yet, but they’ll be great when they get their chance. 

Robby Davis coaches WR/DB and is head JV coach at North Vermillion. 

Joe Culbreath is the head Jr High coach and Director of football operations for the 7-12 grade program at North Vermillion.

Nate Bryan is OL/DL and DC at Parke Heritage.

Scott Moore is the DC at Seeger.

Look for all of these men to be successful when they get their shot.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Woody_Hayes said:

There are some good young coaches coming up in the WRC right now. None are Varsity head coaches yet, but they’ll be great when they get their chance. 

Robby Davis coaches WR/DB and is head JV coach at North Vermillion. 

Joe Culbreath is the head Jr High coach and Director of football operations for the 7-12 grade program at North Vermillion.

Nate Bryan is OL/DL and DC at Parke Heritage.

Scott Moore is the DC at Seeger.

Look for all of these men to be successful when they get their shot.

Sir, you left the YOUNGEST and most spry up and coming coach in the WRC off of your list.

There is a man named Kenny Kerns that coaches football and proudly wears a Wildcat visor at South Vermillion. 

Now enjoy this piping hot fart sandwich on Regional Friday. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Knightmare said:

Are there any great young coaches in the HCC, MIC, or Mid-State that could be moving into a job this off season as a Head Coach?

Mark Brown is the Associate Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator at North Central in Indianapolis. He was an assistant at LCC and part of 4 state titles, then he had a successful stint as the HFC at Carroll (Flora) before reuniting with Coach O'Shea at North Central. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CoachStewart said:

Mark Brown is the Associate Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator at North Central in Indianapolis. He was an assistant at LCC and part of 4 state titles, then he had a successful stint as the HFC at Carroll (Flora) before reuniting with Coach O'Shea at North Central. 

BOOM, very much CONCUR