Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SWIAC 2019-20

Well after this weekends games I am surprised at some outcomes.  Still hard to get a gauge on Linton based on their opponents.  I thought Shakamak did a good job early of controlling tempo against Linton Friday night, but a few quick shots and silly turnovers and you look up at scoreboard and it is double digits.  Linton can score quickly and in bunches.   After watching Shakamak Friday night I felt like  they were young,  but scrappy and had some kids that can play. Felt like they would compete with many on their schedule.   Then they go up and get beat double digits by Eminence?  Still shaking my head on that score.  I watched the Bloomfield/WRV game and was not impressed with Bloomfield.  WRV should have won that game.  Hats off to Bloomfield freshman Sherrard for winning that game at FT line for them.  WRV just fell apart the last 3 minutes against pressure.  North Daviess seems to have righted the ship some.  We will see how they do in the ONB classic.  N. Central still surprising me and Eastern as well.   Clay City took a couple L's this week although one was in OT.   I think the SWIAC has 3-4 teams that on any given night could surprise some better teams, but inconsistencies keep them on a rollercoaster. 

Looking forward to the WV Classic.  Linton got a good draw and should win their first two games.  The upper bracket is loaded with good teams. Two of them undefeated. Of course with South and North their records don't mean much when you play the type of teams they have on their schedule.   Should be some good games. 

I am still sticking with my original prediction of BR by double digits and if Hopf is eligible by then it will be more than 15.   I hope I am wrong, but I think our youth and inexperience will be a problem.  The Hopf court hearing was Friday and the judge should rule this week on Thursday or Friday.   That little tourney on the 4th has Southridge, Barr Reeve and Christian Academy who lost by 1 point to Floyd Central.  The same FC that nearly beat Bloomington South this past weekend. All 4 of those games will be tourney atmosphere games and a really good team may come our of there 0-2.  I think we will have a better idea about the Miners after the Wabash Valley Classic. 

What's up with the Sags?  Linton was 3rd.  Blackford was 5th.  Linton beat Shakamak, West Vigo, and Terre Haute South and gets dropped to 5th.  Blackford beats Southridge in OT and loses back to back games (by 22 and 16 points) to 1A teams Barr Reece and Loogootee and get moved up to 3rd.  The Sags have become a joke.

On 12/29/2019 at 6:34 PM, itiswhatitis said:

What's up with the Sags?  Linton was 3rd.  Blackford was 5th.  Linton beat Shakamak, West Vigo, and Terre Haute South and gets dropped to 5th.  Blackford beats Southridge in OT and loses back to back games (by 22 and 16 points) to 1A teams Barr Reece and Loogootee and get moved up to 3rd.  The Sags have become a joke.

I don't pay too much attention to the SAGS.....too many numbers make my brain hurt LOL

Watching Linton at the Wabash Valley has exposed some of the concerns I had about them.  Listen, they are a good team, but they don't do the little things real well.  Youth and inexperience is part of it.  I watched it all tourney and this will get them beat against the really good teams and the more disciplined teams.  That happened tonight against Terre Haute North.  We gave up ten 3 point FGs'!  Many were wide open because we are slow to rotate.   Slow rotations on defense led to easy buckets on the weak side inside as well.  No offensive rebounding.  Too many perimeters shooters and no real post players on this team.  Nobody to replace the Robbins twins, which is a big ask, but someone needs to be in the post more. Not sure why Frady didn't play tonight. He is the only one that can really help there.  We miss Slover too in a big way.   Shot selection was poor all night tonight and especially when we cut it to 3 points late.  Settled for too many 3FG attempts, especially in 2nd half tonight when they had THN in the bonus with 6 minutes to go in the 4th.   These are all things that Joey can get corrected if the players buy in.  Joey mentioned early in a preseason interview that his team was pretty and how good they end up being will be determined by their willingness to defend and rebound and do the little things that last years team did.  I would say that is a very true statement.  With Barr Reeve coming up this weekend and and Christian Academy or Southridge in the 2nd game they better get it fixed quickly or they could add 2 more the L column.

Whatever switch North Daviess flipped on in the last 2-3 weeks they need to make sure it stays on! Wow.. They are playing some good ball now.  Had Barr Reeve on the ropes Saturday night in the ONB Classic.  They have won 5 out of the last 6 and certainly have found that groove.  They come to Linton on Jan 24th and that could be a big game in determining the SWIAC champion.  Bloomfield will have something to say about that on the 17th.  So Linton has back to back games against the two other strongest teams in the conference.  That seven day stretch will have a lot to say about who is in the drivers seat for the conference championship.

The GCI starts next week.  Looking forward to seeing some of the other conference teams in person for the first time.  Should be some good games and a few stinkers, but hey its HS Basketball so you gotta love it!

I would agree with about everything stated about Linton.  Individuals looking to score... not enough guys willing to do the little things.  The new faces are still trying to figure out where they fit.  Some of the returning guys are looking to carry a team, which seems to just slow the process down.  We get glimpses of how some guys could fill a role... then things get bogged down.  

Post play is only an option when Kip has a favorable matchup on the block.  He doesn't get as many of those since a big man is usually guarding him without the Robbins twins around.  Frady is good in the post(even though I don't know that he has ever received a post entry pass), but has some limits on defense.  Those limits could have played a role in him not playing against TH North.  Clearly... they have zone busters.

This team might think to last years senior class.  Sammy and Silas Robbins both could have scored 15-20 ppg if the offense ran through them.  Slover... he could have scored 20 a game on his quickness and ability to finish around the basket.  Tucker Hayes is one of the most gifted shooters to come through Linton... on other teams... he scores 25+ ppg.  All sacrificed a little for the good of the team.  I can't count how many times I've seen Frady alone on the block... Hart or Cook open on the perimeter  with no pass to the open guy. Hart is also under utilized as a slashing scorer, which is his greatest asset.  Some teams have a defender to lock up Hale... I've not seen too many with 2nd guy as athletic as little Joey.  Same could be said for D-Rob and Pyne. Instead we shoot a lot of one on one contested 3 pointers.

With all that said... Coach Hart usually starts whipping them into shape after Christmas.  If guys buy in... this team could make another trip to Indy.  If not, we might have a guy or two break some individual records... maybe even win a sectional... I just don't see them beating really good teams.  

Isn't it sort of comical to hear Linton fans(myself included) complain about things when they have a varsity bench and JV team full of guys that would get varsity minutes elsewhere.

• Like 1

Agreed!  The Barr Reeve game was a good glimpse into what the Miners can be.  The first half they were really good defensively and moved the ball well on offense and got some great looks.  The 2nd half we saw the little things show up that cost them, but overall it was a good weekend with a nice bounce back win against a pretty good Christian Academy team.  I felt like they got better during the last half of the THN game and these two games. Hopefully they will continue to build on that.  How far they go will depend on those little things. 

6 hours ago, Greene County Coach said:

Isn't it sort of comical to hear Linton fans(myself included) complain about things when they have a varsity bench and JV team full of guys that would get varsity minutes elsewhere.

Yes, I am guilty of that as well. I think the bar has been raised so much higher than anyone could have expected.  It wasn't that long ago we were just hoping for a sectional title.....a state title wasn't even in the conversation.

A few games into the GCI and I think I have more questions than answers about some teams.

WRV... They were hard to watch against Shakamak.  That isn't a slap at the Lakers... I think they play hard and do some good things, but WRV looked really bad.  Even worse when Records went out with what looked like an ankle injury.  A team that should have beat Bloomfield... looked even worse.  I just keep thinking about what could/should have been with WRV's 2019/2020 team.  First, Clayton Hoover and Tanner Denham earned tough minutes as freshman a few years ago.  They lose a lot of games, but the future looks solid to good.  Clayton is a double digit scorer as a freshman... never plays basketball again.  Denham has improved ever since, but he often plays like he needs a cape.  When he was younger... his versatility and ability to make others better were intriguing.  On this team, he doesn't get to be that guy.  Records is an emotional leader, but his size puts limitations on him.  If that kid is 5'10", we are talking about a really solid backcourt with Denham.  What happened to the Ellett boy?  I thought he would be a stud by now.  I don't know if his game has improved, but his intensity is inconsistent at best.  It would be different if that was always his problem, but there was a time(8th grade)... he was a warrior around the basket.  With intensity... he is a 15-20 ppg and 10 rpg type of player.  There isn't many other players who provide consistent production on offense.  Rogers and Crites have moments where they look good.  As for their bench... I was a little shocked the freshman transfers from Linton didn't dress.  Some of their bench guys weren't very good C team players when I caught a WRV C team game before Christmas.  I'm not suggesting those freshman are varsity ready, but they at least can play a little and both are good shooters.  Fast forward to Eminence... Different team.  I would have bet a sizable amount that the Eels would smoke them after watching Tuesday's games.  I guess it shouldn't be a shock... their scores from previous games suggest they are all over the place.

Shakamak... They play hard. They are well coached.  There is some talent and size in the younger classes.  They just aren't very big with their older guys. Scoring seems to be an issue.  I really like the Steinstra(sp??) kid.  Another kid that would be animal with a little more height.  Looking at their earlier games... the Eminence loss made sense after watching Tuesday... not so much after the WRV/Eminence game.  Too bad they have to tangle with Linton for a 3rd time in less than a month.

Linton... Same ole same ole... Could we have looked worse against Eminence?  That isn't to knock Eminence... I thought they played with a lot of heart and most of the time far smarter than the Miners.  I would chalk some of it to playing a scrappy team with less talent than they have seen since the first day or two of the Wabash Valley Tourney, but some of those previously discussed issues keep popping up.  We also didn't play smart basketball in spots.  Hopefully, the Miners will come out and play better tonight and tomorrow.

Bloomfield... I'm not sold on them.  Although I believe they will play in the Championship game tomorrow... I wouldn't be shocked if they were beat by North Central.  If the T-Birds can contain Royal and Graf... the next set of guys don't seem to be consistent threats.  Sherrard is solid for a freshman PG, but I'm not sure he is considerably better than he was 2 years ago.  The rest are nice pieces as long as the two top dogs score.

North Central... They give me the WRV feel in some ways.  I wonder how consistent they are, but I just haven't seen enough of their guys this year and prior to this year to really know.  Edmondson does a nice job coaching and their seems to be a pipeline of transfers to help bolster their ranks.  

Eastern... I know Eastern isn't home to a loaded roster, but after watching Pike Central.  I was a little shocked at their loss.  Did PC add a new player or two?  They just seemed like a team that had no chance of winning a game in this tournament...  which is saying something because there are some teams that are wildly inconsistent and not real strong.  Maybe Eastern had a Tuesday/WRV type game.

GC Coach, I came away feeling the same way.   I feel like Eastern is really trying to find an identity and I know Coach Hudson will get that in place in time, but from watching them they are going to struggle this year until they find it.   In some ways the Eastern program needs to be rebuilt from the ground up and that will take some time.   WRV, North Central and Shakamak are all in the same boat.  My goodness they are all like Jekyll and Hyde.  They play some good basketball at times and in stretches, but they play some bad ball too.  I felt like North Central was giving Bloomfield a good game as they were up 17-14 with about 4 minutes to go in Q2 and then poor shot selection and bad defense and they are down double digits and never recover.  Same with the other two.   I will say this, if they get things worked out before sectional upsets are not out of the question although I believe Bloomfield will win that one.  I know WRV and NC both think they can upset the Cardinals in March.

The championship game between Bloomfield and Linton was an exciting game.  I felt like Linton had a chance to run and hide coming out for the 2nd half, but Bloomfield scores the 1st six and the momentum swings.  The Cardinals are a scrappy bunch, playing with a lot of heart and pride.  Linton, is still struggling with help side defense and rebounding.  We got caught standing on Graf's putback to tie it.   Linton still needs to find a consistent 3rd scorer.  I felt like Robertson and Hart disappeared a bit in the championship game, but that is a Frosh and an inexperienced Sr playing in a big game. They didn't hurt us, just didn't play as well as I think they have been.  Bloomfield is scrappy.  Dean, Ross, Sherard, Oliphant, Pegg....they all play hard.  Was really impressed with Ross and Dean. Dean's shot to win it was 2" short of being a winner.  I thought it was good.  Turner and Graf did what you would expect them to in a big game.  Much like Hale and Fougerousse did for Linton. 

I will say this if Linton is going to win Friday night at Bloomfield they will have to play much better than they did.  It will be rocking and this is an important SWIAC conference game.  I am anxious to see what adjustments each coach makes.  Who are they going to take away?  Who will step up?  Going to be a good one for sure. 

2 hours ago, jshuttlesworth said:

Slightly off topic but has anyone else noticed the quality of coverage on sports in the greene county daily world have a severe decline since Terry has retired.  It's really a disservice to these high school athletes 

Yes,  I noticed going back to football season as well.  The coverage is late many times.  I don't want to wait 2-3 days to read it in the paper or online.  By that time I have seen stats and details elsewhere.  Terry was very good and devoted a lot of time to it.  He is surely missed.  I don't know these other two, and I know they don't get paid a lot, but it needs to be better.  This was two ranked local teams that deserved better.   Also, There are no quotes from players or coaches of either team.

Edited by Pops

GCDW will always have a hard time finding passionate capable writers at $10 an hour.  It is sort of a self fulfilling prophecy... newspapers are dying... throw in average to below writers who don't really cover things well or in timely fashion... the reader chooses not to take the paper or read it online.  Less money for the paper... less qualified writers who aren't paid a decent wage.  Linton was smart some years back clamping onto young writers looking for experience over money... problem is the good ones... move on.  

Three conference games on tap this weekend.   All on Friday night. 

Clay City at Eastern Greene----I have seen the Eels one time vs Linton, but they sit at 5-5 now going up against a Thunderbird(4-7) team that broke a 4 game skid in their last game with a win against Eminence.  Clay City has won four in a row and I would have to give them the edge on the road against Eastern.  Both scrappy teams, so it should be a good game.

Shakamak at North Daviess ---- This game will come down to how healthy Jack Townsend is.  If he is  near 100% I think the Cougars win by double digits.  If not,  the Lakers have a chance if they shoot well and take care of the ball

Linton at Bloomfield ---  This is the Big One for the conference. Most likely the winner Friday night will win the conference, although ND might think otherwise.  The winner will certainly sit in the drivers seat.  If the Miners can weather the initial emotion and energy that a packed house at Bloomfield will bring I think they come away the winner.   However, I can see this being another OT game or a double digit win for either team depending on how each team makes adjustments from Saturday.  Two good coaches and two good teams.  This is the proverbial toss up game or chess match if you prefer.  Should be a good one! Better get there early!

Well have to say I am surprised at the Eastern/Clay City score.  Looks like Coach Hudson has his kids finally buying in to what he is trying to do.   I expected a much tighter game. 

Linton/Bloomfield was about what you would expect.  Linton made some small adjustments here and there but pretty well played them the same as they did in the GCI.  Cardinals were intent on taking Kip and Lincoln away and  did a decent job early but it was nice to see Hart, and Cook step up and Pyne had a great game.  If they get that balance in scoring they will be a hard out for anyone.  Was really surprised that Bloomfield didn't look to get Graf more involved.  If Royal is going to have to take 24 shots a game to score 31, they are going to have a tough time against good teams.  They need to find 3 consistent double figure scorers.

Interesting weekend of basketball. 

Linton defeats Bloomfield with the supporting guys leading the way.  Bloomfield was sort of a one man show.  My favorite few minutes from Friday's game was 18 straight points off of 6 three pointers... from a pair of Linton freshman.  Joey Hart and Drew Cook carried the Miners into halftime.  Shows how dangerous Linton can be when the ball is moving around.  Josh Pyne played a great 2nd half to help seal the game.  My favorite chant was directed at Pyne... "He's a Senior!".  Why?  Bloomfield has some guys that should be freshman in college.  Nobody asked to see birth certificates.  I think people would be shocked how many seniors  throughout the conference will turn 19 at some point during their senior year.   Regardless, he will be back next year to wreak more havoc on the Cardinals.  The recruiting theme for the student block was also funny.  I saw a lot of kids from other schools in the Cardinal student section... so do they recruit fans.  Hmm???   It felt like an important HS basketball game.  Something that used to be commonplace around here.  As for Bloomfield, Royal needed a lot of shots to score 31... Graf played like a sophomore... they didn't do a good job of getting him going... and he wasn't assertive enough.  The Ross kid played another very solid game.  He was a bright spot in both games.  Everyone else played their part, but they still could use another consistent scorer.

Eastern Greene beating Clay City was a little bit of a shocker, but only because of the Pike Central loss in the GCI.  I heard Eastern sat starters in the game against PC.  That would explain the loss.

North Daviess over Shakamak was to be expected.  Did Townsend play?  If so, the score looks about right.  

Bloomfield, North Central, and Shakamak had wins Saturday night... nothing that jumps out in those wins.

1 hour ago, Greene County Coach said:

Interesting weekend of basketball. 

Linton defeats Bloomfield with the supporting guys leading the way.  Bloomfield was sort of a one man show.  My favorite few minutes from Friday's game was 18 straight points off of 6 three pointers... from a pair of Linton freshman.  Joey Hart and Drew Cook carried the Miners into halftime.  Shows how dangerous Linton can be when the ball is moving around.  Josh Pyne played a great 2nd half to help seal the game.  My favorite chant was directed at Pyne... "He's a Senior!".  Why?  Bloomfield has some guys that should be freshman in college.  Nobody asked to see birth certificates.  I think people would be shocked how many seniors  throughout the conference will turn 19 at some point during their senior year.   Regardless, he will be back next year to wreak more havoc on the Cardinals.  The recruiting theme for the student block was also funny.  I saw a lot of kids from other schools in the Cardinal student section... so do they recruit fans.  Hmm???   It felt like an important HS basketball game.  Something that used to be commonplace around here.  As for Bloomfield, Royal needed a lot of shots to score 31... Graf played like a sophomore... they didn't do a good job of getting him going... and he wasn't assertive enough.  The Ross kid played another very solid game.  He was a bright spot in both games.  Everyone else played their part, but they still could use another consistent scorer.

Eastern Greene beating Clay City was a little bit of a shocker, but only because of the Pike Central loss in the GCI.  I heard Eastern sat starters in the game against PC.  That would explain the loss.

North Daviess over Shakamak was to be expected.  Did Townsend play?  If so, the score looks about right.  

Bloomfield, North Central, and Shakamak had wins Saturday night... nothing that jumps out in those wins.

I've seen that happen several times at Miner Football games, especially in the tournament.  Other area teams players standing on the visitors sidelines.  Thought it was pretty crappy of them to do that.  It was especially bad during the Southwest Seven Conference days.  I guess no loyalty to your conference, eh?

6 hours ago, Greene County Coach said:

Jack did play against Shakamak.  He has 12 and was the only player in double figures for the Cougars.

4 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

I've seen that happen several times at Miner Football games, especially in the tournament.  Other area teams players standing on the visitors sidelines.  Thought it was pretty crappy of them to do that.  It was especially bad during the Southwest Seven Conference days.  I guess no loyalty to your conference, eh?

In the past I think once you got past sectionals you started seeing the area schools pulling for the remaining schools in the tourney.  Before class basketball that was very true.  Once you lost the local rivalries in the sectionals you also lost some of that support from the conference for sectional foes.  Championship game at the GCI was a decent crowd but it doesn't come close to what it used to be at the GCI or the sectional. Every night was packed and standing 3 deep all the way around the top. Having said that I think you still have that support to a degree but "Miners against Everybody" on the warmup is pretty appropriate.  Everyone is pissed at the Miners, about "recruiting".  Everyone wants to see them fall.  The Bloomfield cheering block came across as funny, and it didn't bother me, but believe me the underlying message was meant to be heard. 

11 hours ago, Pops said:

Jack did play against Shakamak.  He has 12 and was the only player in double figures for the Cougars.

In the past I think once you got past sectionals you started seeing the area schools pulling for the remaining schools in the tourney.  Before class basketball that was very true.  Once you lost the local rivalries in the sectionals you also lost some of that support from the conference for sectional foes.  Championship game at the GCI was a decent crowd but it doesn't come close to what it used to be at the GCI or the sectional. Every night was packed and standing 3 deep all the way around the top. Having said that I think you still have that support to a degree but "Miners against Everybody" on the warmup is pretty appropriate.  Everyone is pissed at the Miners, about "recruiting".  Everyone wants to see them fall.  The Bloomfield cheering block came across as funny, and it didn't bother me, but believe me the underlying message was meant to be heard. 

Of course.  That's small town mentality added to the "rivalry".  I've often wondered how it would be if ALL of the Greene County Schools would consolidate.  Think of the possibilities for sports if that would happen.  I guess we'll never see it because of all of the infighting between school admins.  Everyone would want to be in charge.  LOL  I recall a semi state game in football and seeing other school letter jackets on the sidelines of the visitor.  They weren't rooting for the Miners I can tell you that.  I wasn't the only one who noticed either.

It made me laugh... only because most people have a vague understanding of student movements, retentions, etc... I guess the irony of accusing a school of recruiting when you have people who attend other schools holding the sign.  It just made me laugh.  

On a serious note, when parents choose to find a better opportunity... is that recruiting?  I have seen parents actively shop their kid around looking for some guarantee of playing time.  This is allowed until that athlete starts playing as a freshman.  Throw in AAU basketball where like minded parents see this happening regularly... is it a shock some parents treat their athlete like a recruit.  I've seen coaches associated with programs make promises.... I have also heard coaches flat out tell parents their kid will have to work to play or even tell them their kid would likely not play until they were a junior or senior.  The common fan doesn't realize how deep this is... and it is centered around the parents.  They also don't likely realize that kids have a much wider friend group, so moving to a neighboring school means most kids already have friends there.  If your school doesn't have an established program with a good coach, there is a good chance some of your kids have considered moving.  My sons will not move, but the prospect of playing time isn't lost on my oldest.  He recognizes kids in football and basketball that are lesser players that are competing at a higher level.  Fortunately, he has good coaches/programs where there is a lot of team success and an expectation of working toward starting at the varsity level.   With that said, it is a delicate balance.  There are a lot of solid players that stop playing basketball when they see their prospect of playing is limited or non existent.  Linton could probably field a middle of the road conference team with guys that aren't even playing.  Also... can you really recruit a 4th or 5th grader?  I'm not sure those are sure fire prospects 🙂

Consolidation is a tricky prospect.  For one... we bump up classes in every sport.  The first few years would likely see huge accomplishments.  Think of what WRV accomplished when they combined 3 small school starting fives.  Even Shakamak was really good back when they combined in the 1960's.  There would be some really good years.  Then you find there are also problems with that.  Fringe athletes in one sport quit and focus on their best sport.   Look at Linton... with all that talent... there is also struggles.  It takes a really strong program to have kids buy into sitting for 2-3 years until their turn comes.  Linton has lost kids for that very reason.  Some kids would just stop playing as well.

My thoughts on this have changed over the last decade or so.  The idea of recruiting isn't a new thing.   The 1984-1985 L&M teams aren't the talked about in the same light if Coach Oliphant isn't recruited to come to Lyons and bring his son with him.  Also, that might have been the first time a HS redshirt was ever used lol....but that is for a different discussion.  Listen our education system is a mess because we have people calling the shots that are idiots.  When those idiots decided to make it so any kid could transfer from one school to another for academic reasons they also took the lid of the toothpaste tube on athletic transfers.  There is also a financial side to this as well that isn't often talked about. When a kid transfers for any reason the money moves with him. So when schools are struggling for money and a middle school kid transfers for athletic reasons their is a cherry on top in the money that also transfers.  Do I think that is a big benefit? No, but it is a reason not to frown on it too.  The IHSAA rules say you can't transfer in HS for athletic reasons. They made an example out of this in the Curt Hopf case.  However, they don't govern Middle School or elementary athletics so there is no "recruiting" if a kid moves.  If a kid and parents decide to transfer for athletic reasons before HS, that shouldn't be looked at any differently than a kid transferring for academic reasons.   

Consolidation to one school system isn't feasible,  but I could see one administration office and two High Schools in our county at some point in the future.  If that happens we will be sitting around 20 years from now talking about the good ole days, because it will change everything from a sports perspective.  

You are right... Our leaders in the statehouse created this type of competition among schools.  It was a political power move to centralize power in Indianapolis under the guise of eliminating property taxes.  Nobody likes taxes... so people bought it hook, line, and sinker. Instead... small communities lost that little chunk of money that gave them power over the state.  Schools fought this new era as long as they could.  Once smaller schools started to be eliminated, everybody started to realize that education is now operated as a business in a Capitalist market.  We see it in bulletin board and newspaper ads to attend a neighboring school.  Schools send buses into neighboring school districts.  Every school has to market themselves to their customers.  That is academically... it is about opportunities... and that even brings athletics into the picture.

So take Linton's situation... There are things that are out of their control.  Parents who move into their school district.  Some of those so called "recruits"... live in Linton's school district.  If we are to police that... when do we start?  T-Ball Baseball?  After 5th grade basketball?  Middle School?  Linton also had nothing to do with Dugger closing their doors.  If you remember back, a handful of schools could have benefited from that.  Many Dugger folks headed to Sullivan first since it was within the county, but for various reasons... many left. I always got the impression that one or two bad experiences turned a lot of those Dugger folks against the Arrows. Once one family moved... it seemed to be an exodus in a short amount of time.  Where would they go? Shakamak didn't have football, but some went that direction.  For most people North Knox was a little too far (although they had at least a few).  Linton wasn't always the first choice, but as those parents were looking for the best situation for their kids... the Miners rose to the top.  Did a basketball coach with ties to Dugger help... sure.  Did a school and community willing to bring those kids into the "family" help?  Probably more than anything.   Personally, I am proud of the way most people handled that delicate situation.  Linton folks could have been jealous and petty (a few were... still might be).  Instead they embraced these kids and families.  Another thing that schools can't control is the way kids communicate today.  Some think they are Dwyane Wade looking to get their buddies to come to South Beach.  I've heard of lots of kids recruiting each other.  Now that is just kids talking, but if an opportunity is there... parents may consider it.  Especially, if they aren't worried about that transition of being the new kid.  Lastly, success will always be an attractive option for those wanting to win.  

• Like 1

This weekend...

Friday...

Bloomfield vs. Eastern-  Man... wouldn't Coach Hudson love to play the spoiler for the Cardinals.  I'm sure he would be sad for the boys he coached, but it would almost be worth it to stick it to the powers that be in Bloomfield.  I don't think it happens.  Bloomfield should roll.

North Central vs. Riverton Parke-  No clue about Riverton Parke, but NC is sort of all over the place.  If RP is disciplined, they could win this.  I'll go with the T-Birds, but I wouldn't bet on this one.

Clay City vs. TH North-  North by a lot... North JV guys need to save quarters for this one.

Shakamak vs. WRV-  Could the Wolverines have played any worse against the Lakers in the GCI?  I hope not.  The Lakers are scrappy and at home.  Which WRV will show up?  Will this team be fired up and focused... or lazy and sloppy.  I'll take the Wolverines in a close one...  Not a game for the betting man.

Linton vs. North Daviess-  It has been a rough week for most of the Miner basketball teams against the Cougars.  The Freshman team won... but the 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th grade teams lost.  5th grade and 7th grade were beat badly.  The 6th graders lost their first game in 2 years... maybe the worst game I've seen them play... the Cougars made them pay.  The 8th grade game was good coaching by the Cougars (switching up defenses and slowing down the Miners) and questionable officiating (it was like watching a 5th grade girls game.. travels... jump balls... lots of pushing, shoving, and even tackling).  The 8th graders were also without their 2nd leading scorer.  Either way... if the 6th and 8th grade games are an indicator.  The Cougars will try to disrupt the Miners with the tempo of the game, ever changing defensive sets, and physical play.  The tempo and physical play could give the Miners fits.  Hopefully... physical play will be less of an issue since the Miners are at home.  The tempo will be their biggest struggle.  If we come down and miss a couple quick shots and the Cougars hit a few shots.  I have no doubt the Cougars will take the air out of the ball.  Expect a score in the 40's if the Miners aren't hitting shots.  If the Miners are hitting shots, it could force the Cougars to play at a faster pace.  Fans will get to watch another really good freshman for the Cougars.  The Mullins kid is true blue point guard.  A kid who makes people around him better.  I'll be interested to see how he plays in a slowed down game.

Saturday Night...

Bloomfield at Loogootee-  This could be a really good game.  The Lions had a respectable season going, but the win against Barr-Reeve propels them to a different level.  Maybe there were circumstances involved that contributed to that win... but it is still one that gets people talking.  Loogootee also has a really good freshman named Bledsoe.  His dad was a 6'5" post player for Jack Butcher... he is about 6'3" and a guard.  He isn't a plus athlete, but he is really crafty with the ball and understands the game.  Who knows... this could be a match up later in the tournament.

Clay City at Cloverdale-  Hmm... CC is scrappy, but Cloverdale has at least one player that should be tough for the Eels to defend.  The Thomas kid is pretty solid for Cloverdale.  I'd take Cloverdale if I had to pick.

Eastern at South Knox- This is probably a winnable game for the T-Birds.  

North Daviess at Barr Reeve-  Whew... tough weekend for the Cougars.  Winning either game would be big for them... Winning both is a  long shot... Close losses could be a moral victory.

North Vermillion at North Central-  NV doesn't look very good on paper... NC big.

WRV at Sullivan-  Every year the Wolverines seem to lay an egg against Shakamak followed by a tough game against the Arrows.  I've seen recent Arrow teams plagued by inconsistent play.  It will take that and a big night from the Wolverines to win this one.  I don't see it.

On 1/24/2020 at 12:14 PM, Greene County Coach said:

This weekend...

Friday...

Bloomfield vs. Eastern-  Man... wouldn't Coach Hudson love to play the spoiler for the Cardinals.  I'm sure he would be sad for the boys he coached, but it would almost be worth it to stick it to the powers that be in Bloomfield.  I don't think it happens.  Bloomfield should roll.

North Central vs. Riverton Parke-  No clue about Riverton Parke, but NC is sort of all over the place.  If RP is disciplined, they could win this.  I'll go with the T-Birds, but I wouldn't bet on this one.

Clay City vs. TH North-  North by a lot... North JV guys need to save quarters for this one.

Shakamak vs. WRV-  Could the Wolverines have played any worse against the Lakers in the GCI?  I hope not.  The Lakers are scrappy and at home.  Which WRV will show up?  Will this team be fired up and focused... or lazy and sloppy.  I'll take the Wolverines in a close one...  Not a game for the betting man.

Linton vs. North Daviess-  It has been a rough week for most of the Miner basketball teams against the Cougars.  The Freshman team won... but the 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th grade teams lost.  5th grade and 7th grade were beat badly.  The 6th graders lost their first game in 2 years... maybe the worst game I've seen them play... the Cougars made them pay.  The 8th grade game was good coaching by the Cougars (switching up defenses and slowing down the Miners) and questionable officiating (it was like watching a 5th grade girls game.. travels... jump balls... lots of pushing, shoving, and even tackling).  The 8th graders were also without their 2nd leading scorer.  Either way... if the 6th and 8th grade games are an indicator.  The Cougars will try to disrupt the Miners with the tempo of the game, ever changing defensive sets, and physical play.  The tempo and physical play could give the Miners fits.  Hopefully... physical play will be less of an issue since the Miners are at home.  The tempo will be their biggest struggle.  If we come down and miss a couple quick shots and the Cougars hit a few shots.  I have no doubt the Cougars will take the air out of the ball.  Expect a score in the 40's if the Miners aren't hitting shots.  If the Miners are hitting shots, it could force the Cougars to play at a faster pace.  Fans will get to watch another really good freshman for the Cougars.  The Mullins kid is true blue point guard.  A kid who makes people around him better.  I'll be interested to see how he plays in a slowed down game.

Saturday Night...

Bloomfield at Loogootee-  This could be a really good game.  The Lions had a respectable season going, but the win against Barr-Reeve propels them to a different level.  Maybe there were circumstances involved that contributed to that win... but it is still one that gets people talking.  Loogootee also has a really good freshman named Bledsoe.  His dad was a 6'5" post player for Jack Butcher... he is about 6'3" and a guard.  He isn't a plus athlete, but he is really crafty with the ball and understands the game.  Who knows... this could be a match up later in the tournament.

Clay City at Cloverdale-  Hmm... CC is scrappy, but Cloverdale has at least one player that should be tough for the Eels to defend.  The Thomas kid is pretty solid for Cloverdale.  I'd take Cloverdale if I had to pick.

North Daviess at Barr Reeve-  Whew... tough weekend for the Cougars.  Winning either game would be big for them... Winning both is a  long shot... Close losses could be a moral victory.

North Vermillion at North Central-  NV doesn't look very good on paper... NC big.

WRV at Sullivan-  Every year the Wolverines seem to lay an egg against Shakamak followed by a tough game against the Arrows.  I've seen recent Arrow teams plagued by inconsistent play.  It will take that and a big night from the Wolverines to win this one.  I don't see it.

Good call GCC.  Must have been a real nail biter!  Glad the Miners pulled it out.

Miners did just enough last night to get it done.  Talked to Joey afterwards a bit and he said they are tired mentally and physically.  Had today off whether they won or lost.  They have played 11 games since Christmas and most of those were big time games. Not to many easy ones.  I think that showed up last night.  North Daviess is much improved. Freshmen are good and when/if Townsend gets healthy again they could be a real handful down the stretch. 

Not sure what went on between TH North and Clay City for that to be only a five point win.  I think WRV is better than Shakamak and played like it last night.  They are just so up and down right now.   Bloomfield winning big over Eastern was expected, but North Central getting beat by RP by 18!?!   Can't say I saw that coming. 

Overall, outside of Linton and Bloomfield, I don't think any SWIAC teams are playing very consistently right now. 

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

As for Tonight I will take Cloverdale over Clay City by 10

South Knox over Eastern by 15

Barr Reeve over N. Daviess by 8

North Central over North Vermillion by 8

Sullivan over WRV by 15

Last thing...Hats off to the Lady Miners for their nice win this morning over  1A #1 Loogootee Lions.