Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SWIAC 2019-20

6 hours ago, wvigo13 said:

Lol. Not once did I say we'd beat Linton. That's a FACT. I said don't overlook West Vigo. We've won 2 in a row. That's a FACT. Not an opinion. And you obviously missed where I said they're fully healthy now. Also a FACT. Not once did I say I expect WV to win. But you go off lol.

Then why the warning?  "Don't overlook West Vigo, they are rolling."  You expect them to beat Linton or else you wouldn't have made that comment.  I guess where you come from a 2 game winning streak is rolling.  Fully healthy = a 2 game winning streak over 1A teams?  I didn't "go off" as you accuse me of, just stated facts.  I stated you won 2 in a row.  You want to thump your chest over that?  Whatever.  Peace out.

Itiswhatisis-----Chill out a bit.  Good grief this is just  High School basketball. Matchups make games, not polls and ratings.  Common opponents are helpful in scouting but that is about it.  I put little weight in polls and more so in the Sagarin ratings. I should remind you that you said Mater Dei was going to roll over Triton Central in the Football semi state based on Sagarin and we all know what happened then.   The Lady Miners might be considered a favorite next weekend, but the championship game is next Saturday not Yesterday.  Frankton isn't going to care that they beat TC.  They will have to play well to beat a good Frankton team. That is facts. 

I watched the first West Vigo game in person and I can say that they are a scrappy, but inconsistent bunch. They gave the Miners all they wanted that night.  I expect the Miners to win, but if the Miners are off a bit like they were against North Central the other night, then WV can make this a contested game.  The Miners are the better team, but that doesn't always mean much.   Coach Hart has the Miners playing well right now, but they still have some of the early season chinks in the armor that show up from time to time.  Those chinks will get them beat against a really good team. They will no doubt be the 2A sectional favorite, but anything can happen in the tournament.  

I would say that the Sectional 57 is going to be interesting. Bloomfield is still the favorite, but with Royals injury they aren't as clear cut as they once were.   Clay city is starting to click with wins over Shakamak, WRV and Edgewood and a two point loss to NC all in the last few weeks.  WRV and Shakamak are capable of playing some good ball and N. Central would love nothing better than a 3rd chance at the Cardinals.   The draw for this sectional could be a huge factor. 

32 minutes ago, wvigo13 said:

Didn't mean to step on any toes. Wish I was going to the Linton game Tuesday. It should be good. I'm not expecting a win but West Vigo should play a decent game. Been playing well the last 2 weeks. Good luck to your Miners in the state tournament!!

• Like 1

There are still some question marks with this Linton team..  Defensively this could be one of the weaker teams Coach Hart has had at Linton.  At times they look good when the 1-3-1 takes advantage of undersized guards.  But under the basket Linton struggles,  this is where you start to notice how good Sammy and Silas Robbins where last year anchoring that post defense.  Pyne and Robertson shows signs of being those tough hard nosed defenders Linton is known for under Coach Hart, if they can play smart and stay out of foul trouble.  

This team lacks role players,  still not sure how they all fit together.  Looks like lots of scorers on the floor at times and noone doing the dirty work of rebounding, setting solid screens, and playing tough D.  Linton vs.  Everyone idk..  Maybe Linton needs to go back to a few years ago when we Defined Toughness.

That might sound harsh but to make a run in the post season Linton needs to step it up.  Love watching this team play, tons of talent and alot of young talent too.  The future for the program looks very bright. 

With all that being said could we  chip in and get Coach Moore something real nice to show our appreciation for his contribution to the program.  😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lot of good and not so good basketball over the last week or so. 

Thursday vs. Marshall... The Miners looked really good in the 1st half.  Hale was hitting shots... Marshall looked out of sorts, but it was difficult to know if it was our defense or their sloppy offense.  They were a little undisciplined in their attack.  Foul trouble hurt them as well.  The second half was the opposite for both teams.  Marshall came out and got physical with the Miners.  They moved the ball for open shots and actually made some of them.  Their big kids were out hustling and muscling us for rebounds.  I' don't know if the Miners lack of ball movement was masked by Lincoln's lights out shooting in the 1st half, but we weren't moving the ball nearly as well in the 2nd half.  The officials were letting them play and we struggled to meet the physicality of the game.  We pushed off and whined about calls... flopped a few times, but we had nobody on the floor interested in going shove for shove.  It was down to 4 or 5 points at one point late.  Perfect example of the highs and lows of watching the Miners.  Maybe the most physically gifted group of players from 12th-9th grade, but some times we don't play like it.  Not enough guys willing to do what's best for the team.  20+ wins is an awesome accomplishment, but there are some major things that need to be sorted before I feel confident in a return trip to Indy.  Weird... but the expectations are higher than years past... and the talent is there to be amazing.  Of course, the beauty is these are HS kids who can be all over the place.

Friday night the Miners won against North Central, but it wasn't impressive.  If I had to give a scouting report on NC prior to Friday, I would call them undisciplined with bouts where individuals put their success over that of the teams.  After Friday, I'm not sure I wouldn't say the same about the Miners.  So much talent, but at times they seem to be 5 guys moving an at least a couple different directions.  I don't believe West Vigo has any chance against the Miners when they are playing well, but who knows ... if they play like the 2nd half of Marshall game and most of the North Central game.  

Saturday was an awesome moment for the Lady Miners.  Triton Central had some serious talent on the girls team... but so do the Lady Miners.  That overconfidence probably hurt TC, but a great game plan helped fluster the Trojans on offense.  Then the girls did the rest... they moved the ball and made shots.  If you haven't seen the Lady Miners... they are worth the watch.  They move the ball with no concern to who scores.  The craziest thing is there is not one senior on the roster.  Regardless of Saturday, it is special moment for those girls.  

6 hours ago, jshuttlesworth said:

This team lacks role players,  still not sure how they all fit together.  Looks like lots of scorers on the floor at times and noone doing the dirty work of rebounding, setting solid screens, and playing tough D.  Linton vs.  Everyone idk..  Maybe Linton needs to go back to a few years ago when we Defined Toughness.

I said early on this season that how those roles are filled will go a long way toward how far the Miners go in the postseason.  We haven't replaced the toughness and physical play of the Robbins twins nor have we replaced Slover's motor and leadership.  This team can score points in a hurry, but they are also prone to long stretches of play like they had against Marshall where they look lost.

1 hour ago, Greene County Coach said:

Thursday vs. Marshall... The Miners looked really good in the 1st half.  Hale was hitting shots... Marshall looked out of sorts, but it was difficult to know if it was our defense or their sloppy offense.  They were a little undisciplined in their attack.  Foul trouble hurt them as well.  The second half was the opposite for both teams.  Marshall came out and got physical with the Miners.  They moved the ball for open shots and actually made some of them.  Their big kids were out hustling and muscling us for rebounds.  I' don't know if the Miners lack of ball movement was masked by Lincoln's lights out shooting in the 1st half, but we weren't moving the ball nearly as well in the 2nd half.  The officials were letting them play and we struggled to meet the physicality of the game.  We pushed off and whined about calls... flopped a few times, but we had nobody on the floor interested in going shove for shove.  It was down to 4 or 5 points at one point late.  Perfect example of the highs and lows of watching the Miners.  Maybe the most physically gifted group of players from 12th-9th grade, but some times we don't play like it.  Not enough guys willing to do what's best for the team.  20+ wins is an awesome accomplishment, but there are some major things that need to be sorted before I feel confident in a return trip to Indy.  Weird... but the expectations are higher than years past... and the talent is there to be amazing.  Of course, the beauty is these are HS kids who can be all over the place.

It certainly was the tale of two halves. Marshall owned us on the boards in the 2nd half and once they got physical with Lincoln they neutralized him.  It was a physical game and if he gets those calls then he probably scores 40 but you get in games where the refs let them play and he has to adjust better.  Overall, this group is soft when it comes to this type of play.  They get pushed off screens, the get out rebounded especially from the weak side, and the offensive movement slows down when the other team gets physical.   They have had a good season, but this isn't last years team and it is a little unfair to think they can be what last years team was.  I do believe if they clean things up they can get through the regional, but I also believe they can get beat anywhere along the way if they don't.

It was just a few years ago that the Miners could barely score... they were a physical defensive machine hoping a defensive play would lead to an easy bucket... because buckets were hard to come by.  Fast forward to now... we are loaded with scorers who play a little soft and struggle at times on defense.

Last night was a little rough to watch.  West Vigo has anybody who could hit a lay up and this game goes down to the wire.  Like most games... The Miners looked really good at times.  They had a double digit lead at half... lost it... broke out to a near 20 point lead... lost it... won by double digits.  West Vigo had a nice little PG in #23.  The rest of the guys were solid, but no world beaters... just scrappy kids that played hard.  Physical and scrappy play has sort of been kryptonite to the Miners as of late. 

I think the Miners short comings are well discussed at this point.  Personally, I have to just enjoy what we are... maybe not what we aren't.  Some stuff we do poorly just seems to be magnified at this point. 

Here are some of my positives from last night... I really liked watching the younger Coach Wittmer(sp) take on the JV the last game or two.  He looked to wrangle in some of the poor shot selection that has hurt the JV team.  He also seemed to sub more frequently... and wasn't afraid to use it to deter poor play.  Coach Hale doesn't usually say or sub anyone for poor decisions.   In the varsity game... Everyone got to see a little of Cool Hand Joey Hart at work.  I'm guessing he had over 20 points.  If we are going to outscore people... a freshman hitting his stride right before the tournament can't hurt.  A kid who can score, but doesn't dominate the ball is sort of a rarity these days ... he does that.  Big Frady looked good at times.  He is a capable passer and finished around the rim.  He still doesn't provide much defense, but he is a big body.  Drew Smith played a little more and adds a nice physical defensive spark to the Miners.  He is versatile enough to guard just about anyone on the floor.  Although the Miners seemed to be in a zone defense most of the night.  Kip and Lincoln both made some nice passes to Hart and Frady throughout the game.  

10 minutes ago, Greene County Coach said:

It was just a few years ago that the Miners could barely score... they were a physical defensive machine hoping a defensive play would lead to an easy bucket... because buckets were hard to come by.  Fast forward to now... we are loaded with scorers who play a little soft and struggle at times on defense.

Last night was a little rough to watch.  West Vigo has anybody who could hit a lay up and this game goes down to the wire.  Like most games... The Miners looked really good at times.  They had a double digit lead at half... lost it... broke out to a near 20 point lead... lost it... won by double digits.  West Vigo had a nice little PG in #23.  The rest of the guys were solid, but no world beaters... just scrappy kids that played hard.  Physical and scrappy play has sort of been kryptonite to the Miners as of late. 

I think the Miners short comings are well discussed at this point.  Personally, I have to just enjoy what we are... maybe not what we aren't.  Some stuff we do poorly just seems to be magnified at this point. 

Here are some of my positives from last night... I really liked watching the younger Coach Wittmer(sp) take on the JV the last game or two.  He looked to wrangle in some of the poor shot selection that has hurt the JV team.  He also seemed to sub more frequently... and wasn't afraid to use it to deter poor play.  Coach Hale doesn't usually say or sub anyone for poor decisions.   In the varsity game... Everyone got to see a little of Cool Hand Joey Hart at work.  I'm guessing he had over 20 points.  If we are going to outscore people... a freshman hitting his stride right before the tournament can't hurt.  A kid who can score, but doesn't dominate the ball is sort of a rarity these days ... he does that.  Big Frady looked good at times.  He is a capable passer and finished around the rim.  He still doesn't provide much defense, but he is a big body.  Drew Smith played a little more and adds a nice physical defensive spark to the Miners.  He is versatile enough to guard just about anyone on the floor.  Although the Miners seemed to be in a zone defense most of the night.  Kip and Lincoln both made some nice passes to Hart and Frady throughout the game.  

A bit ironic that on Senior Night the Miners were led in scoring by a freshman.   He's going to be fun to watch the next three years.  The past 2 games have been "meh" by the Miners.  Yes, they both were wins, but were a bit closer than they should have been.  West Vigo wasn't the only team missing layups.  I think I counted the Miners missed 5 of them in the first quarter.  They missed at least 3 of them in the first couple of minutes.  And free throw shooting was simply awful by the Miners!

Hats off to West Vigo. They play hard, scrappy and defend pretty well. They stripped our guys 4-5 times in first half on offensive boards.  I would agree the Miners are who they are.  I thought the baseline cutter for West Vigo was open entirely too much against our zone. Several easy buckets there.  This game was about what I expected it to be. Pretty much the same as last game.  If Linton ever puts 4 quarters together on both sides of the ball they will be scary good. 

Bloomfield—-it was great to see Turner back and playing well.  Great kid that deserves to finish out his senior season. 

Eastern—- a two game winning streak??? Anyone see that coming?

1 hour ago, Pops said:

Hats off to West Vigo. They play hard, scrappy and defend pretty well. They stripped our guys 4-5 times in first half on offensive boards.  I would agree the Miners are who they are.  I thought the baseline cutter for West Vigo was open entirely too much against our zone. Several easy buckets there.  This game was about what I expected it to be. Pretty much the same as last game.  If Linton ever puts 4 quarters together on both sides of the ball they will be scary good. 

Bloomfield—-it was great to see Turner back and playing well.  Great kid that deserves to finish out his senior season. 

That wasn't the same West Vigo that played really well in the 3 games prior to that. They looked flat to me. They seem to always make a run in the 2nd half. Did it again last night. Newhouse was our leading scorer and I think that's the first time that's happened all season. Hannahs is the #23 that was mentioned earlier. He's taken over the PG job since Zion has been benched, the #50 that came in to foul. They've been better with Hannahs at PG. Linton's zone gives us trouble. Gave us trouble in the WVC too. It was a bit of an ugly game all around for both teams. Both teams left points off the board with missed layups and FT's. Hale is an unbelievable player. Hart is gonna be special. We haven't had a scorer like Hale since Houser or Wampler played for us. 

Good game and good luck in the tournament!!

6 hours ago, Pops said:

Maybe they are like West Vigo and they are "rolling" now.  (sorry I just couldn't resist)

On 2/22/2020 at 11:46 AM, itiswhatitis said:

I wasn't stating an opinion, just facts.  You say your guys are rolling.  That is your opinion which you are entitled to.  They have a 2 game winning streak.  Linton is on a 13 game winning streak, but I won't say Linton is "rolling".  And those wins are facts and NOT my opinion.  Past games mean nothing ONLY when someone is trying to get their opinion recognized.  I deal in facts and reality.  You say you are at full strength now.  How long has that been?  Just the past 2 games?  And to say you are rolling due to beating Clay City and Cloverdale?  Your opinion doesn't have much basis in that regard.  VERY small and weak sample size.  I can agree that every game is different, but I don't agree that past games mean nothing.   In your mind if past games mean nothing, then I guess I can see how you can just ignore the fact that THS beat you in overtime and 3 days prior Linton beat them by 24.  And that was just last week!  So your guys are rolling for one week???  The facts don't support your opinion.  But hey, I'll give you some credit for being a true, blue homer.  "Rah, rah, rah.  Our guys can beat your guys".  Reality is such a bitter disappoint for those who tend to wear rose colored glasses.  

Good Lord...calm down man

On 3/1/2020 at 6:18 AM, itiswhatitis said:

No sectional 47 topic?

Why would someone create one? If anybody even dares suggesting someone can compete with Linton you rip into them..

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

Miners looked sloppy last night.  The kind of sloppy that gets you beat against good teams.  They better clean it up and hope that shots start to fall or a disciplined South Knox team could upset them.     WRV vs Bloomfield could be a good game for a while but I don't see the Wolverines upsetting them tonight.  I will say this about the Wolverines....they have zero quit in them.  They don't always play smart with the ball, or make the right pass, but they play really hard.  Lot's of offensive rebounds on missed FT's and second chance baskets because they outhustled North Central was the difference.  Denham played like a Senior in his last few games and Ellett was a force inside.  Crites and Rogers continue to improve as well. Again, I don't think it will be enough against a Cardinal team that is clicking right now, but that's why you play the games.  Good luck to all three SWIAC teams tonight.

Congrats to the Miners and the Cardinals on Sectional titles.

The Miners struggled again this weekend.  At this point... I think we faced off with two teams that had a plan of attack for the Miners.  It doesn't hurt that we have already played these teams on top of the countless scouting trips and tape watched by these coaches.  Both North Knox and South Knox had solid plans and guys step up to make plays.  I would think there is plenty of evidence on some of our weaknesses.  Yet even with that said... and without playing particularly well... and NK and SK playing at least above their usual level... we keep rolling.  

After watching the last few weeks of "inconsistent" play by the Miners... I have noticed something that seems to be a part of each lead we lose.  Is it just me... or do we have guys that get too involved in little measuring contests in the game.  Some are against the opponent... some within our own team.  Watch an opposing player make a big play... or talk a little trash... We immediately come down and try to make a contested fade away 3 in that players face.  Great when we hit it... not so much when we miss.  3 or 4 times over the weekend we fell prey to dumb shots followed by long rebounds and fast break baskets by the opposing team.  4-6 point turnarounds when we were building a lead.  Then we have the "Me" moments within our own team.  Some players take difficult shots... others seem to be missing out on their shot quota... so they fire one up.  Same type of things happen... we miss... other team capitalizes... lead evaporates.  We are unbelievably talented, but our mental and physical toughness is inconsistent.

Bright spots... Drew Smith offered some big minutes.  He plays physical defense... he can handle the ball... he makes the right basketball plays.  He still looks a little uncomfortable when looking to score.  I'd like to think that will work itself out.  Pyne was maybe the most consistent Miner Friday and Saturday night.  He stayed out of foul trouble and provided some great scoring along with great defense.  He is one of the few guys that can get scrappy when teams get physical.  He looks like he enjoys it just a little bit.  The freshman duo of Hart and Cook made a few shots, but also seemed to hang back too much.  Especially Hart... most teams don't have the defenders to guard Hale and Fougerousse... they are even less likely to have another defender to handle Hart.   Kip has really struggles offensively... Yet... he makes a huge 3 and 2 FT's late to win the Sectional... I don't see a return to Indy if he can't get going consistently.  Lincoln has had moments of D1 level awesomeness... then long stretches of questionable shots.  He still holds the ball too long... and he is never looking at the roll man when he has a pick and roll.... or if he does... it is too late.  He also can score 15-20 points in a quarter when he gets going.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 9:16 AM, Greene County Coach said:

The Miners struggled again this weekend.  At this point... I think we faced off with two teams that had a plan of attack for the Miners.  It doesn't hurt that we have already played these teams on top of the countless scouting trips and tape watched by these coaches.  Both North Knox and South Knox had solid plans and guys step up to make plays.  I would think there is plenty of evidence on some of our weaknesses.  Yet even with that said... and without playing particularly well... and NK and SK playing at least above their usual level... we keep rolling.  

After watching the last few weeks of "inconsistent" play by the Miners... I have noticed something that seems to be a part of each lead we lose.  Is it just me... or do we have guys that get too involved in little measuring contests in the game.  Some are against the opponent... some within our own team.  Watch an opposing player make a big play... or talk a little trash... We immediately come down and try to make a contested fade away 3 in that players face.  Great when we hit it... not so much when we miss.  3 or 4 times over the weekend we fell prey to dumb shots followed by long rebounds and fast break baskets by the opposing team.  4-6 point turnarounds when we were building a lead.  Then we have the "Me" moments within our own team.  Some players take difficult shots... others seem to be missing out on their shot quota... so they fire one up.  Same type of things happen... we miss... other team capitalizes... lead evaporates.  We are unbelievably talented, but our mental and physical toughness is inconsistent.

Bright spots... Drew Smith offered some big minutes.  He plays physical defense... he can handle the ball... he makes the right basketball plays.  He still looks a little uncomfortable when looking to score.  I'd like to think that will work itself out.  Pyne was maybe the most consistent Miner Friday and Saturday night.  He stayed out of foul trouble and provided some great scoring along with great defense.  He is one of the few guys that can get scrappy when teams get physical.  He looks like he enjoys it just a little bit.  The freshman duo of Hart and Cook made a few shots, but also seemed to hang back too much.  Especially Hart... most teams don't have the defenders to guard Hale and Fougerousse... they are even less likely to have another defender to handle Hart.   Kip has really struggles offensively... Yet... he makes a huge 3 and 2 FT's late to win the Sectional... I don't see a return to Indy if he can't get going consistently.  Lincoln has had moments of D1 level awesomeness... then long stretches of questionable shots.  He still holds the ball too long... and he is never looking at the roll man when he has a pick and roll.... or if he does... it is too late.  He also can score 15-20 points in a quarter when he gets going.

Seems like since the Marshall game, the Miners have been playing only to the level of their competition and not playing the same ball they had prior..  They've been heavy favorites in all of those games and have only been winning by slight margins.  I get that it's the tournament and everyone should/is playing their best ball.  However, I'm not seeing it from the Miners.  Coach Hart should make them watch tapes of some of the Lady Miners games.  Maybe they could learn how you play team ball and not "me" ball.  <shrugging shoulders>

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 9:16 AM, Greene County Coach said:

Congrats to both the Cardinals and Miners on their Sectional Championships and good luck this weekend representing the SWIAC and Greene County.    The issues with the Miners are the same issues that we have seen all year, but now it is costing them more.  When you play a sectional opponent,  who has already played you at least once and has scouted you at least a half dozen times you can bet that they are going to be prepared for everything you bring to the table and they will game plan for it.   The Knox county teams did just that and it nearly paid off.  That was two of the worse shooting games that we have had this year.  Partly due to what S. Knox and N Knox did and partly due to poor shot selection.  A wide open 3 pointer in the 4th quarter with a 7 point lead is not the same as a wide open three in the 1st quarter and we don't seem to recognize that.  Value the basketball!  Lots of dumb fouls in the 2nd half away from the bucket that stopped the clock and gave them free throws, and either the players, coaches or both, never seemed to make an adjustment to letting Fickling get the ball deep in the post.  He killed us in the 2nd half and especially the 4th Qtr.   Drew Smith has played really hard and really well in the last 3-4 ball games. He does need to be a scorer more in the paint, but the ball has to get to him too.  Regionals and beyond are a little different than Sectionals.  Most teams watch a little tape, but really line up and do what they have done all year and see if you can stop it.  I think we will be fine against a hot Crawford County team, but it will take our best game to get by Providence or South Spencer.   Providence has been beat up all year and just got healthy and is showing what they are capable of.  South Spencer, coached by Former Bloomfield player and coach Matt Britton, will be a handful if we face them.  They actually will run something other than a dribble drive offense and are very talented.  I have an uneasy feeling this weekend about the Miners.  I hope they surprise me and find their groove.

Bloomfield is stepping up their game at the right time.  Turner still doesn't look 100% yet, but he is still a dang good player at 80 -90%.  They will have to play really well to get out of that Regional but, the type of game they play and their defense will give them a chance and that is all you want this time of year....a chance. 

Looks like fans will not be in attendance for the rest of the tournament.  

Essential players and coaches (those on the official roster)... Immediate family members... 75 person limit per team

No Cheerleaders... No Pep Band... No shaking hands before or after the game... Fans that make the 75 cut must separate from each other... Teams will enter through separate entrances as will the 75 fans.

I think the IHSAA will be livestreaming the games.

I think it would be very hard for the IHSAA (and NCAA) to run amateur athletes out there when the paid professional athletes aren't doing it.  The situation with the Utah Jazz and last night with the Hoiberg situation probably were the tipping point for the IHSAA, NCAA and other sports. It is unfortunate for these HS athletes and especially Seniors.  I just talked to one of them a few minutes ago and he is pretty bummed.  Said it is going to be hard to get up because they feed off the crowds.  Going to be more like a summer league or AAU game atmosphere.    I do hope the IHSAA can stream all these games, because I do hate the fact that players, fans, families, students are going to miss out on a High School experience that isn't guaranteed from one year to the next.  Certainly unprecedented times for us.