jshuttlesworth

SWIAC 2019-20

Well after this weekends games I am surprised at some outcomes.  Still hard to get a gauge on Linton based on their opponents.  I thought Shakamak did a good job early of controlling tempo against Linton Friday night, but a few quick shots and silly turnovers and you look up at scoreboard and it is double digits.  Linton can score quickly and in bunches.   After watching Shakamak Friday night I felt like  they were young,  but scrappy and had some kids that can play. Felt like they would compete with many on their schedule.   Then they go up and get beat double digits by Eminence?  Still shaking my head on that score.  I watched the Bloomfield/WRV game and was not impressed with Bloomfield.  WRV should have won that game.  Hats off to Bloomfield freshman Sherrard for winning that game at FT line for them.  WRV just fell apart the last 3 minutes against pressure.  North Daviess seems to have righted the ship some.  We will see how they do in the ONB classic.  N. Central still surprising me and Eastern as well.   Clay City took a couple L's this week although one was in OT.   I think the SWIAC has 3-4 teams that on any given night could surprise some better teams, but inconsistencies keep them on a rollercoaster. 

Looking forward to the WV Classic.  Linton got a good draw and should win their first two games.  The upper bracket is loaded with good teams. Two of them undefeated. Of course with South and North their records don't mean much when you play the type of teams they have on their schedule.   Should be some good games. 

In today's Sags, Barr Reeve is ranked #1 in 1A and 14th in the state overall.  Linton is ranked #3 in 2A and 38th in the state overall.  I'm predicting there is a storm brewing!  It is gonna hit January 4th.

Edited by itiswhatitis

I am still sticking with my original prediction of BR by double digits and if Hopf is eligible by then it will be more than 15.   I hope I am wrong, but I think our youth and inexperience will be a problem.  The Hopf court hearing was Friday and the judge should rule this week on Thursday or Friday.   That little tourney on the 4th has Southridge, Barr Reeve and Christian Academy who lost by 1 point to Floyd Central.  The same FC that nearly beat Bloomington South this past weekend. All 4 of those games will be tourney atmosphere games and a really good team may come our of there 0-2.  I think we will have a better idea about the Miners after the Wabash Valley Classic. 

What's up with the Sags?  Linton was 3rd.  Blackford was 5th.  Linton beat Shakamak, West Vigo, and Terre Haute South and gets dropped to 5th.  Blackford beats Southridge in OT and loses back to back games (by 22 and 16 points) to 1A teams Barr Reece and Loogootee and get moved up to 3rd.  The Sags have become a joke.

On 12/29/2019 at 6:34 PM, itiswhatitis said:

What's up with the Sags?  Linton was 3rd.  Blackford was 5th.  Linton beat Shakamak, West Vigo, and Terre Haute South and gets dropped to 5th.  Blackford beats Southridge in OT and loses back to back games (by 22 and 16 points) to 1A teams Barr Reece and Loogootee and get moved up to 3rd.  The Sags have become a joke.

I don't pay too much attention to the SAGS.....too many numbers make my brain hurt LOL

Watching Linton at the Wabash Valley has exposed some of the concerns I had about them.  Listen, they are a good team, but they don't do the little things real well.  Youth and inexperience is part of it.  I watched it all tourney and this will get them beat against the really good teams and the more disciplined teams.  That happened tonight against Terre Haute North.  We gave up ten 3 point FGs'!  Many were wide open because we are slow to rotate.   Slow rotations on defense led to easy buckets on the weak side inside as well.  No offensive rebounding.  Too many perimeters shooters and no real post players on this team.  Nobody to replace the Robbins twins, which is a big ask, but someone needs to be in the post more. Not sure why Frady didn't play tonight. He is the only one that can really help there.  We miss Slover too in a big way.   Shot selection was poor all night tonight and especially when we cut it to 3 points late.  Settled for too many 3FG attempts, especially in 2nd half tonight when they had THN in the bonus with 6 minutes to go in the 4th.   These are all things that Joey can get corrected if the players buy in.  Joey mentioned early in a preseason interview that his team was pretty and how good they end up being will be determined by their willingness to defend and rebound and do the little things that last years team did.  I would say that is a very true statement.  With Barr Reeve coming up this weekend and and Christian Academy or Southridge in the 2nd game they better get it fixed quickly or they could add 2 more the L column.

Whatever switch North Daviess flipped on in the last 2-3 weeks they need to make sure it stays on! Wow.. They are playing some good ball now.  Had Barr Reeve on the ropes Saturday night in the ONB Classic.  They have won 5 out of the last 6 and certainly have found that groove.  They come to Linton on Jan 24th and that could be a big game in determining the SWIAC champion.  Bloomfield will have something to say about that on the 17th.  So Linton has back to back games against the two other strongest teams in the conference.  That seven day stretch will have a lot to say about who is in the drivers seat for the conference championship.

The GCI starts next week.  Looking forward to seeing some of the other conference teams in person for the first time.  Should be some good games and a few stinkers, but hey its HS Basketball so you gotta love it!

I would agree with about everything stated about Linton.  Individuals looking to score... not enough guys willing to do the little things.  The new faces are still trying to figure out where they fit.  Some of the returning guys are looking to carry a team, which seems to just slow the process down.  We get glimpses of how some guys could fill a role... then things get bogged down.  

Post play is only an option when Kip has a favorable matchup on the block.  He doesn't get as many of those since a big man is usually guarding him without the Robbins twins around.  Frady is good in the post(even though I don't know that he has ever received a post entry pass), but has some limits on defense.  Those limits could have played a role in him not playing against TH North.  Clearly... they have zone busters.

This team might think to last years senior class.  Sammy and Silas Robbins both could have scored 15-20 ppg if the offense ran through them.  Slover... he could have scored 20 a game on his quickness and ability to finish around the basket.  Tucker Hayes is one of the most gifted shooters to come through Linton... on other teams... he scores 25+ ppg.  All sacrificed a little for the good of the team.  I can't count how many times I've seen Frady alone on the block... Hart or Cook open on the perimeter  with no pass to the open guy. Hart is also under utilized as a slashing scorer, which is his greatest asset.  Some teams have a defender to lock up Hale... I've not seen too many with 2nd guy as athletic as little Joey.  Same could be said for D-Rob and Pyne. Instead we shoot a lot of one on one contested 3 pointers.

With all that said... Coach Hart usually starts whipping them into shape after Christmas.  If guys buy in... this team could make another trip to Indy.  If not, we might have a guy or two break some individual records... maybe even win a sectional... I just don't see them beating really good teams.  

Isn't it sort of comical to hear Linton fans(myself included) complain about things when they have a varsity bench and JV team full of guys that would get varsity minutes elsewhere.

• Like 1

Agreed!  The Barr Reeve game was a good glimpse into what the Miners can be.  The first half they were really good defensively and moved the ball well on offense and got some great looks.  The 2nd half we saw the little things show up that cost them, but overall it was a good weekend with a nice bounce back win against a pretty good Christian Academy team.  I felt like they got better during the last half of the THN game and these two games. Hopefully they will continue to build on that.  How far they go will depend on those little things. 

6 hours ago, Greene County Coach said:

Isn't it sort of comical to hear Linton fans(myself included) complain about things when they have a varsity bench and JV team full of guys that would get varsity minutes elsewhere.

Yes, I am guilty of that as well. I think the bar has been raised so much higher than anyone could have expected.  It wasn't that long ago we were just hoping for a sectional title.....a state title wasn't even in the conversation.

A few games into the GCI and I think I have more questions than answers about some teams.

WRV... They were hard to watch against Shakamak.  That isn't a slap at the Lakers... I think they play hard and do some good things, but WRV looked really bad.  Even worse when Records went out with what looked like an ankle injury.  A team that should have beat Bloomfield... looked even worse.  I just keep thinking about what could/should have been with WRV's 2019/2020 team.  First, Clayton Hoover and Tanner Denham earned tough minutes as freshman a few years ago.  They lose a lot of games, but the future looks solid to good.  Clayton is a double digit scorer as a freshman... never plays basketball again.  Denham has improved ever since, but he often plays like he needs a cape.  When he was younger... his versatility and ability to make others better were intriguing.  On this team, he doesn't get to be that guy.  Records is an emotional leader, but his size puts limitations on him.  If that kid is 5'10", we are talking about a really solid backcourt with Denham.  What happened to the Ellett boy?  I thought he would be a stud by now.  I don't know if his game has improved, but his intensity is inconsistent at best.  It would be different if that was always his problem, but there was a time(8th grade)... he was a warrior around the basket.  With intensity... he is a 15-20 ppg and 10 rpg type of player.  There isn't many other players who provide consistent production on offense.  Rogers and Crites have moments where they look good.  As for their bench... I was a little shocked the freshman transfers from Linton didn't dress.  Some of their bench guys weren't very good C team players when I caught a WRV C team game before Christmas.  I'm not suggesting those freshman are varsity ready, but they at least can play a little and both are good shooters.  Fast forward to Eminence... Different team.  I would have bet a sizable amount that the Eels would smoke them after watching Tuesday's games.  I guess it shouldn't be a shock... their scores from previous games suggest they are all over the place.

Shakamak... They play hard. They are well coached.  There is some talent and size in the younger classes.  They just aren't very big with their older guys. Scoring seems to be an issue.  I really like the Steinstra(sp??) kid.  Another kid that would be animal with a little more height.  Looking at their earlier games... the Eminence loss made sense after watching Tuesday... not so much after the WRV/Eminence game.  Too bad they have to tangle with Linton for a 3rd time in less than a month.

Linton... Same ole same ole... Could we have looked worse against Eminence?  That isn't to knock Eminence... I thought they played with a lot of heart and most of the time far smarter than the Miners.  I would chalk some of it to playing a scrappy team with less talent than they have seen since the first day or two of the Wabash Valley Tourney, but some of those previously discussed issues keep popping up.  We also didn't play smart basketball in spots.  Hopefully, the Miners will come out and play better tonight and tomorrow.

Bloomfield... I'm not sold on them.  Although I believe they will play in the Championship game tomorrow... I wouldn't be shocked if they were beat by North Central.  If the T-Birds can contain Royal and Graf... the next set of guys don't seem to be consistent threats.  Sherrard is solid for a freshman PG, but I'm not sure he is considerably better than he was 2 years ago.  The rest are nice pieces as long as the two top dogs score.

North Central... They give me the WRV feel in some ways.  I wonder how consistent they are, but I just haven't seen enough of their guys this year and prior to this year to really know.  Edmondson does a nice job coaching and their seems to be a pipeline of transfers to help bolster their ranks.  

Eastern... I know Eastern isn't home to a loaded roster, but after watching Pike Central.  I was a little shocked at their loss.  Did PC add a new player or two?  They just seemed like a team that had no chance of winning a game in this tournament...  which is saying something because there are some teams that are wildly inconsistent and not real strong.  Maybe Eastern had a Tuesday/WRV type game.

GC Coach, I came away feeling the same way.   I feel like Eastern is really trying to find an identity and I know Coach Hudson will get that in place in time, but from watching them they are going to struggle this year until they find it.   In some ways the Eastern program needs to be rebuilt from the ground up and that will take some time.   WRV, North Central and Shakamak are all in the same boat.  My goodness they are all like Jekyll and Hyde.  They play some good basketball at times and in stretches, but they play some bad ball too.  I felt like North Central was giving Bloomfield a good game as they were up 17-14 with about 4 minutes to go in Q2 and then poor shot selection and bad defense and they are down double digits and never recover.  Same with the other two.   I will say this, if they get things worked out before sectional upsets are not out of the question although I believe Bloomfield will win that one.  I know WRV and NC both think they can upset the Cardinals in March.

The championship game between Bloomfield and Linton was an exciting game.  I felt like Linton had a chance to run and hide coming out for the 2nd half, but Bloomfield scores the 1st six and the momentum swings.  The Cardinals are a scrappy bunch, playing with a lot of heart and pride.  Linton, is still struggling with help side defense and rebounding.  We got caught standing on Graf's putback to tie it.   Linton still needs to find a consistent 3rd scorer.  I felt like Robertson and Hart disappeared a bit in the championship game, but that is a Frosh and an inexperienced Sr playing in a big game. They didn't hurt us, just didn't play as well as I think they have been.  Bloomfield is scrappy.  Dean, Ross, Sherard, Oliphant, Pegg....they all play hard.  Was really impressed with Ross and Dean. Dean's shot to win it was 2" short of being a winner.  I thought it was good.  Turner and Graf did what you would expect them to in a big game.  Much like Hale and Fougerousse did for Linton. 

I will say this if Linton is going to win Friday night at Bloomfield they will have to play much better than they did.  It will be rocking and this is an important SWIAC conference game.  I am anxious to see what adjustments each coach makes.  Who are they going to take away?  Who will step up?  Going to be a good one for sure. 

Slightly off topic but has anyone else noticed the quality of coverage on sports in the greene county daily world have a severe decline since Terry has retired.  It's really a disservice to these high school athletes 

2 hours ago, jshuttlesworth said:

Slightly off topic but has anyone else noticed the quality of coverage on sports in the greene county daily world have a severe decline since Terry has retired.  It's really a disservice to these high school athletes 

Yes,  I noticed going back to football season as well.  The coverage is late many times.  I don't want to wait 2-3 days to read it in the paper or online.  By that time I have seen stats and details elsewhere.  Terry was very good and devoted a lot of time to it.  He is surely missed.  I don't know these other two, and I know they don't get paid a lot, but it needs to be better.  This was two ranked local teams that deserved better.   Also, There are no quotes from players or coaches of either team.

Edited by Pops

GCDW will always have a hard time finding passionate capable writers at $10 an hour.  It is sort of a self fulfilling prophecy... newspapers are dying... throw in average to below writers who don't really cover things well or in timely fashion... the reader chooses not to take the paper or read it online.  Less money for the paper... less qualified writers who aren't paid a decent wage.  Linton was smart some years back clamping onto young writers looking for experience over money... problem is the good ones... move on.  

Three conference games on tap this weekend.   All on Friday night. 

Clay City at Eastern Greene----I have seen the Eels one time vs Linton, but they sit at 5-5 now going up against a Thunderbird(4-7) team that broke a 4 game skid in their last game with a win against Eminence.  Clay City has won four in a row and I would have to give them the edge on the road against Eastern.  Both scrappy teams, so it should be a good game.

Shakamak at North Daviess ---- This game will come down to how healthy Jack Townsend is.  If he is  near 100% I think the Cougars win by double digits.  If not,  the Lakers have a chance if they shoot well and take care of the ball

Linton at Bloomfield ---  This is the Big One for the conference. Most likely the winner Friday night will win the conference, although ND might think otherwise.  The winner will certainly sit in the drivers seat.  If the Miners can weather the initial emotion and energy that a packed house at Bloomfield will bring I think they come away the winner.   However, I can see this being another OT game or a double digit win for either team depending on how each team makes adjustments from Saturday.  Two good coaches and two good teams.  This is the proverbial toss up game or chess match if you prefer.  Should be a good one! Better get there early!

Well have to say I am surprised at the Eastern/Clay City score.  Looks like Coach Hudson has his kids finally buying in to what he is trying to do.   I expected a much tighter game. 

Linton/Bloomfield was about what you would expect.  Linton made some small adjustments here and there but pretty well played them the same as they did in the GCI.  Cardinals were intent on taking Kip and Lincoln away and  did a decent job early but it was nice to see Hart, and Cook step up and Pyne had a great game.  If they get that balance in scoring they will be a hard out for anyone.  Was really surprised that Bloomfield didn't look to get Graf more involved.  If Royal is going to have to take 24 shots a game to score 31, they are going to have a tough time against good teams.  They need to find 3 consistent double figure scorers.