Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Mercy Rule

A lot of discussion on it at the ICFA meeting, Friday morning and a proposal will be presented to the IHSAA. Until then we shouldnt muddy up the waters until the verbiage is all laid out. But will be beneficial if accepted.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 11:05 AM, CoachJackson said:

Being a coach I agree with the sentiment above. Coaches preach to players "never give up, fight till the end". Going to a running clock no matter how out of hand the game is makes you feel like a hypocrite. Having been a coach on both sides of a blowout I think it's a respectable way to get games over with and having a rule to enforce it would take it out of the coach's hands. Though I think there would need to be some discussion on how it's implemented.

Ohio's rule is that at any point during the game if a team gets up 30+ they go with a running clock. I saw a game where this hurt a teams chance to come back. Running clock went into effect near the beginning of the 3rd and basically ran off the entire quarter on two consecutive drives. The losing team closed the gap stopping the clock, started to come back and literally ran out of time. Would like to think if that time hadn't ran off would they have had an opportunity to tie or win.

I few years ago when Bobby Cox was pushing this I heard someone suggest no running clock in the first half. Running clock would only begin when leading by 42+ in the 3rd and 35+ in the 4th and would end if the score was brought back within those ranges which I think makes more sense.

I do agree there should be no running clock in the 1st half.  Also feel that it shouldnt be left to the coaches because we have had some games where it continues to be a regular clock when it is way out of hand.  We play Kentucky schools often here and their rule is at a 36 point deficit the clock runs.

On 3/11/2019 at 10:52 AM, NPFB said:

A lot of discussion on it at the ICFA meeting, Friday morning and a proposal will be presented to the IHSAA. Until then we shouldnt muddy up the waters until the verbiage is all laid out. But will be beneficial if accepted.

I CO SIGN!!!!   

Fruitful conversation 

• Like 1