Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

4A South Semi State: Mt. Vernon(Fortville) @ #3Memorial

EM will count on another big game from their defense. I figured it would be tough sledding for EM offense vs Mooresville’s stout D. Offense did enough to help EM advance. 

Always fun playing in November when teams don’t know much about their opponents other than video or stats. 

What can EM expect from Mt V Fort? I know they have a HOF’er for a coach. 

Edited by Screagle

Line update 
JH now favors Memorial by 4 

Mount Vernon (Fortville) (11-2) at Evansville Memorial (11-1)
GAME TIME: 7 pm CT, Enlow Field.
COACHES: Mike Kirschner, 18-6 in 2nd year at Mount Vernon, 127-68 in 17th year overall. John Hurley, 98-55 in 12th year at Memorial.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Memorial, 74.73, 47th overall, 7th in 4A. Mount Vernon, 68.31, 67th overall, 15th in 4A.
LAST OUTING: Mount Vernon defeated Indianapolis Roncalli, 25-17. Memorial defeated Mooresville, 17-14.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Mount Vernon 62-80. Memorial 71-60.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: No meetings.
jh PREDICTION: Memorial, 28-24.

13 minutes ago, Tiger391 said:

Man MV really brings it on D. May not be the biggest but they are blitzing 6-7 guys every play. Memorial OL will once again have their hands full....

Their D will be very tough against us, we just need Pence to have enough time to throw or scramble 

I was gonna ask about Memorial running game, but then I looked it up on MaxPreps.  Looks like they've been more of a passing team this year?  That's probably in MV favor.  They lost a couple WR/DB kids to injuries in our game. I think at least one is back now.  They have some nice athletes in the secondary.

11 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

Some of the New Pal guys could give you some insight since they played them earlier. @dmizers3 @CaptainHook @crimsonace1  any info on MV? 

Only time I saw them was a 49-7 game against the top team in 5A, so it's difficult to get a really fair read, but they do a nice job mixing the run and the pass. Their QB, who started last year as a freshman at Greenfield-Central, throws it well. They use a second QB who is more of a runner, and will put both in formation (one as a QB, one as a slot). Their RBs - Cole and Labelle - are solid if not flashy. Have a solid group of DBs. They don't score a ton of points, but their defense is pretty good. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Only time I saw them was a 49-7 game against the top team in 5A, so it's difficult to get a really fair read, but they do a nice job mixing the run and the pass. Their QB, who started last year as a freshman at Greenfield-Central, throws it well. They use a second QB who is more of a runner, and will put both in formation (one as a QB, one as a slot). Their RBs - Cole and Labelle - are solid if not flashy. Have a solid group of DBs. They don't score a ton of points, but their defense is pretty good. 

These teams look very similar from the films I've seen.  My biggest take from their game with New Pal is I'm glad we don't have to play New Pal. 

This is the same thing I posted in the Mooresville thread, but it might also be helpful for the Mt. Vernon fans who are making the trip down for the game on Friday... 

Enlow Field is on the campus of Bosse HS, not Memorial HS.  Bosse's campus sits on the corner of Highway 41 and Washington Avenue.  Also, Enlow Field is not the same as Bosse Field.  If you are using Google maps or Siri, use "Bosse HS", not "Bosse Field".  If the directions take you anywhere but the area near the intersection of Highway 41 and Washington Avenue, you have something wrong.  Bosse HS sits in a residential area, so there isn't a whole lot of parking at Enlow.  There is a parking lot west of the stadium, which is accessed from Washington Avenue.  That lot is on the home side, so you'll have to walk around the outside of the stadium to get to the visitor entrance on the east side (not a big deal).  There is also a lot east of Bosse HS, which is also most easily accessed from Washington Avenue and Lodge Avenue.  You can also park in the residential neighborhoods north of Bosse HS.   The east lot will start filling up with Memorial tailgaters by 4:15pm or so.  There will also be a lot of gatherings at houses along College Highway, which runs into Enlow from the north side.  As a result, close parking will be tough to come by unless you get there early or use the west lot.

Wow, the stars have aligned for Memorial to get to the State Final this year!  First week of Sectional = bye and get healthy, 2nd week of Sectional travel 30 minutes to beat a below average Booneville team and to work out kinks of bye week. Sectional Championship travel 15 minutes to play the only team that beat them, Central and come away with 24 point victory.  Hard to beat a good team twice in the same season.  Regional at home vs a strong Mooresville team, win by a FG and now host a good Mount Vernon (Fortville) team for the Semi-State Championship!  

Sorry Mt Vernon, but playing Memorial at home ON A FRIDAY is not going to have a good outcome for the Marauders...  Memorial 31  Mt Vernon - 14.

Apparently none of the AD's talk to each other about playing Evansville teams on Fridays in the playoffs???  I can't believe they are playing on Friday this week???

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Art VanDelay said:

Wow, the stars have aligned for Memorial to get to the State Final this year!  First week of Sectional = bye and get healthy, 2nd week of Sectional travel 30 minutes to beat a below average Booneville team and to work out kinks of bye week. Sectional Championship travel 15 minutes to play the only team that beat them, Central and come away with 24 point victory.  Hard to beat a good team twice in the same season.  Regional at home vs a strong Mooresville team, win by a FG and now host a good Mount Vernon (Fortville) team for the Semi-State Championship!  

Sorry Mt Vernon, but playing Memorial at home ON A FRIDAY is not going to have a good outcome for the Marauders...  Memorial 31  Mt Vernon - 14.

Apparently none of the AD's talk to each other about playing Evansville teams on Fridays in the playoffs???  I can't believe they are playing on Friday this week???

Fortville is on Eastern time. Not a huge deal, but given that the 4A state finals are Saturday, why not play Saturday. Not sure it'll have an outcome on this one. I had Memorial ranked No. 1 at the beginning of the year. Go Tigers. 

Mt. Vernon matches up fairly well with Memorial. The Marauders kicking game is much better than Mooresville's, and they don't turn the ball over as much. Memorial will face an option attack with a pretty good runner at QB. The Tigers haven't seen much option football with a running QB this year. MV's sophomore QB throws a good deep ball and their receivers are adept at catching the deep ball. The Tigers defensive front will be difficult for MV's offensive line to handle. Combs will disrupt the MV offense and cause some turnovers. The Marauders will have to score 24 points to win, and that will be very difficult. MV is very young and it's best days lie ahead.

Starting to think more and more that I am underestimating the magic of Enlow.  It's been kind to the Tigers over the last two seasons when it comes to Indy schools heading to the Pocket City.  I think Mount Vernon becomes the latest victim.  

Tigers 27-14.

2 hours ago, Temptation said:

Starting to think more and more that I am underestimating the magic of Enlow.  It's been kind to the Tigers over the last two seasons when it comes to Indy schools heading to the Pocket City.  I think Mount Vernon becomes the latest victim.  

Tigers 27-14.

EM is very lucky to call Enlow Field our home.  It is particularly nice when Mother Nature graces the game with rain bc the home side is covered so fans are more inclined to come out knowing they don't have to sit in rain all night.  Are there any other IN HS fields/stadiums that have covered seating?  I'm not aware of any...