Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

5A North Semi State: Fort Wayne Bishop Dwenger @ Valparaiso

4 hours ago, BTF said:

Not sure that's a good comparison. Dwenger's defense is way better than Carroll's. Carroll had a very good passing game. Isn't Dwenger's offense built around the run? 

Care to elaborate on the comparison?

I am saying, Valpo reminds me of Carroll. Nothing bad at all. Carroll will when SAC next year. Yes Dwenger is built around the run but can pass as well. With 5 different running backs we DON'T have a stand out. To be honest Dwenger is built around defense.  Defense get dibs on the talent first. Not a fan of this but it is true.

• Like 1

Valparaiso High School is a tough place to have your senior end their high school playing career. Had to experience and witness it throughout several periods of my lifetime.  Worst part is when the team walks out of the game and has to march across the VHS parking lot to the bus and their cleats make that sound on the asphalt.  I’ll spare all the other details. 

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Valparaiso High School is a tough place to have your senior end their high school playing career. Had to experience and witness it throughout several periods of my lifetime.  Worst part is when the team walks out of the game and has to march across the VHS parking lot to the bus and their cleats make that sound on the asphalt.  I’ll spare all the other details. 

Why would Valpo be taking a bus to the game?  

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I’m going to be at Valpo Friday night observing the officiating crew. Would love to touch base with some GID folks who are going to be there.

Are you still involved with officiating in any capacity? I've seen you mention observing crews and didn't know if that was for personal enjoyment or in some kind of evaluator role.

Apologies if this has already been established but I didn't see an answer when I did a quick check

5 hours ago, javaswat01 said:

Are you still involved with officiating in any capacity? I've seen you mention observing crews and didn't know if that was for personal enjoyment or in some kind of evaluator role.

Apologies if this has already been established but I didn't see an answer when I did a quick check

Yes, I observe and evaluate crews for the IHSAA.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mebuck said:

I am saying, Valpo reminds me of Carroll. Nothing bad at all. Carroll will when SAC next year. Yes Dwenger is built around the run but can pass as well. With 5 different running backs we DON'T have a stand out. To be honest Dwenger is built around defense.  Defense get dibs on the talent first. Not a fan of this but it is true.

I agree, Carroll is very solid and should contend next year. I wanna say they are the favorite, but I'm not sure what Homestead has coming back besides Goode. And never count out Snider and Dwenger. Should be a fun 2020.

Good luck to the Saints! I've got Valpo by 7. I haven't seen Valpo play, I'm just buying into the hype. They have a good win against Merrillville and they seem to have carried their success over from last year. They've won 22 of their last 23.........only loss being to Carmel by 4. But Dwenger might be the toughest team they've seen in the last two years. 

13 hours ago, Mebuck said:

Would you call this a traditional Dwenger team that seems to have multiple backs rather then the one big time running back?

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Good luck to the Saints! I've got Valpo by 7. I haven't seen Valpo play, I'm just buying into the hype. They have a good win against Merrillville and they seem to have carried their success over from last year. They've won 22 of their last 23.........only loss being to Carmel by 4. But Dwenger might be the toughest team they've seen in the last two years. 

If you wouldn't mind being a bit more detailed about the "hype"? Also, if Dwenger (might be toughest team they've seen in last two years.) is better than last years Carmel squad, how do you not have them favored? Find your statement somewhat contradictory.

1 hour ago, Indian72 said:

Would you call this a traditional Dwenger team that seems to have multiple backs rather then the one big time running back?

Definitely by committee. The leading rusher has just over 500 yards. Two guys could easily be over 1,000 yards this season, but that isn't how they are being used.

4 hours ago, Indian72 said:

Yes, we usually have a platoon of running backs. I will say the one that started last week is a senior and it is his first year ever playing football. He was a soccer player. Toby is a beast.

Edited by Mebuck
Spell

4 hours ago, Da Region said:

If you wouldn't mind being a bit more detailed about the "hype"? Also, if Dwenger (might be toughest team they've seen in last two years.) is better than last years Carmel squad, how do you not have them favored? Find your statement somewhat contradictory.

"Hype"................meaning that Valpo appears to be good this year based on the fact that many people from that area have said so. I haven't seen Valpo play in person or on film. All I have to go by is what people are saying and the scores of their games. By no means am I using the term as a way to say that they are overrated. 

I said "toughest." I didn't say anything about them being the best or having the most talent. They probably aren't as good as Carmel and they likely have less talent than Merrillville. But they will give you their best shot. They always play hard, physical football. You might have the better team. You might have the more talented team. But, in more cases than not, Dwenger out "tough" you. Meaning...........................they will play with more passion. 

Edited by BTF
Additional wording
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, OldschoolFB said:

Why would Valpo be taking a bus to the game?  

I’m talking about the visiting team that loses to Valpo.  It is going to be a long sad 2 hour bus ride all the way back to the Summit City.  The next week at school his girlfriend is going to dump him for a Luers player.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

I’m talking about the visiting team that loses to Valpo.  It is going to be a long sad 2 hour bus ride all the way back to the Summit City.  The next week at school his girlfriend is going to dump him for a Luers player.

Tom, you need to lighten up a bit.   I had a good quality response obviously meant to be humorous.   No need to project your own  personal demons on to others.  

I hope the game is a clean, hard fought, injury free game.  I want Bishop Dwenger to win. I know most people don’t think they stand a chance, I happen to disagree and believe it’s worth the Saints while to make the 2 hour drive to prove they have what it takes to play in Lucas Oil Stadium.  

Let the teams take the field and leave it all out there.   This time of the year and Semi State is High School football at its finest.  

Go SAINTS!!!

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

I was a Luers player in the mid 1970's am I still eligible.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hey Hey. Good thread so far. We are pretty hyped about the trek across 30 over to Valpo tomorrow. They tell me the Saints are a 3 TD underdog in this one. If accurate, this is uncharted territory, but I don't buy it. I would take BD to cover and also take the under in this one. They have seen 3 fairly high powered offenses this year that each had a higher PPG average. And none of them came close to scoring 3 TD's on the first team Dwenger defense. However, I am always open to opposing opinions if someone wants to share their thoughts on why this week will be different. Can't guarantee a Saints victory, but the Vikings better have their chinstraps on tight because they will be challenged. 

GO BDHS!

1 minute ago, New Money said:

Hey Hey. Good thread so far. We are pretty hyped about the trek across 30 over to Valpo tomorrow. They tell me the Saints are a 3 TD underdog in this one. If accurate, this is uncharted territory, but I don't buy it. I would take BD to cover and also take the under in this one. They have seen 3 fairly high powered offenses this year that each had a higher PPG average. And none of them came close to scoring 3 TD's on the first team Dwenger defense. However, I am always open to opposing opinions if someone wants to share their thoughts on why this week will be different. Can't guarantee a Saints victory, but the Vikings better have their chinstraps on tight because they will be challenged. 

GO BDHS!

Where are people getting their information, 3TD underdogs? Not likely, not even sure they are the underdog, depends on which part of the state you ask. Should be a great ball game.

Hey All,

I am the play by play affiliate for PCTV for the Valparaiso Vikings. Their strengths are definitely with #27 Burbee and #13 Osorio as they are big key components. If you were to watch the Merrillville vs Valparaiso game, it showed a lot of struggles that occurred in that game. The Michigan City vs Valpo game was not a good one to watch because I talked to Coach Marshall briefly and he had it as a big running game. When you also look at Valparaiso's offense the quarterback CJ Opperman has begun to get tremendous all season long from the start showing impressive numbers from his last year's average. The offensive line is tough and are mostly seniors and open up big gaps for the run game led by #27 Burbee, #21 Vinyard, and #26 Tomczak who are what I call 'the big 3' and are the big portion of the Valpo offense. You also have to look to the Valpo defense which allows half the average other high school teams in terms of yards allowed and are doing great with their younger defensive secondary. The only team that the secondary has had trouble with would be Merrillville and Valpo runs a 4 linebacker defense with the two outside linebackers usually pushing back for secondary coverage if you watch game footage. The defensive line has been unstoppable so far all season not allowing other teams who are rush heavy to even have a chance at that backfield. Some things the Vikings do are plays that don't involve much movement at all and it will be tough to go against a team who has as much fun as they do. They haven't played a big competitor yet, but get ready because this game will be their first real matchup. I have studied FW Dwenger and they do show impressive numbers in the running game, but with the routes their receivers run, it will be tough to do anything against that Valpo secondary. Thanks all!

Zachary Collins

PCTV Sports

Valparaiso University 23'

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Da Region said:

Where are people getting their information, 3TD underdogs? Not likely, not even sure they are the underdog, depends on which part of the state you ask. Should be a great ball game.

Fort Wayne Dwenger (11-1) at Valparaiso (12-0)
GAME TIME: 6:30 pm CT, Viking Field.
COACHES: Jason Garrett, 25-2 in 2nd year at Bishop Dwenger. Bill Marshall, 22-4 in 2nd year at Valparaiso.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Valparaiso, 97.72, 6th overall, 2nd in 5A. Bishop Dwenger, 86.64, 18th overall, 4th in 5A.
LAST OUTING: Bishop Dwenger defeated Harrison (West Lafayette), 35-21. Valparaiso defeated Mishawaka, 49-0.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Bishop Dwenger 63-68. Valparaiso 54-74.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: No meetings.
jh PREDICTION: Valparaiso, 35-14.

4 minutes ago, Da Region said:

I've seen a couple 14 pt predictions. Not sure where the 3 TD came from. 

3 minutes ago, New Money said:
Fort Wayne Dwenger (11-1) at Valparaiso (12-0)
GAME TIME: 6:30 pm CT, Viking Field.
COACHES: Jason Garrett, 25-2 in 2nd year at Bishop Dwenger. Bill Marshall, 22-4 in 2nd year at Valparaiso.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Valparaiso, 97.72, 6th overall, 2nd in 5A. Bishop Dwenger, 86.64, 18th overall, 4th in 5A.
LAST OUTING: Bishop Dwenger defeated Harrison (West Lafayette), 35-21. Valparaiso defeated Mishawaka, 49-0.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Bishop Dwenger 63-68. Valparaiso 54-74.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: No meetings.
jh PREDICTION: Valparaiso, 35-14.

That prediction blows me away. Especially from John Harrell. I don't see it being more than a 7-10 point game in either direction. And I certainly don't think Valpo will put up 35 against Dwenger. I guess time will tell.