Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

5A North Semi State: Fort Wayne Bishop Dwenger @ Valparaiso

13 minutes ago, New Money said:
Fort Wayne Dwenger (11-1) at Valparaiso (12-0)
GAME TIME: 6:30 pm CT, Viking Field.
COACHES: Jason Garrett, 25-2 in 2nd year at Bishop Dwenger. Bill Marshall, 22-4 in 2nd year at Valparaiso.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Valparaiso, 97.72, 6th overall, 2nd in 5A. Bishop Dwenger, 86.64, 18th overall, 4th in 5A.
LAST OUTING: Bishop Dwenger defeated Harrison (West Lafayette), 35-21. Valparaiso defeated Mishawaka, 49-0.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Bishop Dwenger 63-68. Valparaiso 54-74.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: No meetings.
jh PREDICTION: Valparaiso, 35-14.

WOW, that is bold. We will know soon enough!

Valpo’s offense just methodically runs the ball behind the massive OL with the RB’s occasionally breaking big game. Two long runs for Valpo’s Burbee we’re called back for holding. One would have been a TD and the other was down to the goal line. Can’t have those types of mistakes against New Pal. They can burn a lot of clock if they can sustain drives against New Pal

4 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Valpo’s offense just methodically runs the ball behind the massive OL with the RB’s occasionally breaking big game. Two long runs for Valpo’s Burbee we’re called back for holding. One would have been a TD and the other was down to the goal line. Can’t have those types of mistakes against New Pal. They can burn a lot of clock if they can sustain drives against New Pal

More times than not, it was the illegal holding that allowed the RB to get to the endzone in the first place. Congrats to Valpo, they put more points on the board. But Dwenger may have showed tonight that they may have the best D in the state. Before tonight, Valpo's lowest scoring output was 29. 

Edited by BTF
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BTF said:

More times than not, it was the illegal holding that allowed the RB to get to the endzone in the first place. Congrats to Valpo, they put more points on the board. But Dwenger may have showed tonight that they may have the best D in the state. Before tonight, Valpo's lowest scoring output was 29. 

You got that right.  Every single run around the end could have been flagged.  

For some inexplicable reason, BD started the first two drives with the 3rd and 4th string running backs. By the time we actually decided that strategy won’t work against a team of Valpo’s caliber, we were down 10-0 and wasted  the first quarter.  But at the end of the day, we just came up a couple plays short.  Valpo scored on the first drive of the game against our first string D and were able to squeeze a FG in later.   Valpo is an awesome team and very deserving to be going to LOS.  Congratulations.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OldschoolFB said:

You got that right.  Every single run around the end could have been flagged.  

I beg to differ. I was on the field the entire game. That officiating crew had a fabulous game. Too bad they’re not eligible to work a final this year.

58 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I beg to differ. I was on the field the entire game. That officiating crew had a fabulous game. Too bad they’re not eligible to work a final this year.

I have a ruling question. On one of the fabulous punts the kicking team picked up the ball at the 2 or 3 yard line but continued his progress into the receiving team end zone. What is the correct ruling in this instance? Ball dead and placed the spot of first touch? Or touchback since the player momentum carried player into end zone after gaining possession?

12 minutes ago, New Money said:

I have a ruling question. On one of the fabulous punts the kicking team picked up the ball at the 2 or 3 yard line but continued his progress into the receiving team end zone. What is the correct ruling in this instance? Ball dead and placed the spot of first touch? Or touchback since the player momentum carried player into end zone after gaining possession?

I actually wondered about that as well. It looked like the Dwenger players thought it should’ve been moved.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, New Money said:

5 hours ago, FWfootball10 said:

I actually wondered about that as well. It looked like the Dwenger players thought it should’ve been moved.

A kick ends when a player possesses the ball, or when it becomes dead by rule, e.g., goes out of bounds. So, on a punt, the receiving team gets the ball at the spot the kicking team possesses it. Since the kicking team player possessed the ball before the ball broke the plane of the goal line, the kick ended, and it was the receivers’ ball at that spot. Once the kick is possessed, everything that happens after that is irrelevant.

Congratulations to the Vikings!

Beat NP. Keep the title in the North. Good luck at LOS. I almost enjoyed my stay at your stadium.  I was blown away at how big your stands were and how full and load. What does it hold? 4,000 plus? The hospitality from all your fans was great. 

• Like 3