Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Center Grove vs Ben Davis 6A Semi-State

For some reason, Center Grove has had Ben Davis's number lately. The Giants lead the series, 15-13, but the Trojans have won five of the last six including the 2016 Semi-State Championship. Only the 2017 juggernaut BD team was able to defeat the Trojans in that time, 40-7.

We'll see what happens on Friday. BD's playing very well, but Center Grove is a different team with #30 on the field. The game earlier in the season came down to about four or five big plays despite the lopsided score. BD could have led at the half if not for a dropped TD. A pick 6 early in the 2nd half. BD then failed to field the kickoff and...the rout was on.

I would expect a low-scoring contest. BD's defense has been spectacular over the last seven games. They'll need to do that again. Winner of this one is the favorite to win it all, IMO.

Edited by BDGiant93
  • Like 1

Should also be noted that the game at Center Grove was key to where BD is now. Coach Simmons tells a great story when asked about it. Essentially, he did an analysis of the first four games and came down with some numbers. His review showed that the Giants played the majority of the first four games well, but it was the bad start vs. Brownsburg that buried them. The end of the half vs. Avon buried them. The end of the third quarter and start of the fourth against PIke prevented a bigger win vs. the Red Devils, and then the aforementioned sequence in the Center Grove game. 

He presented to the team and showed them how those small mistakes added up into big ones that were costing them games. They worked to tighten things up. He said that if they focused and reduced the seven percent of the season that was costing them games, they would win games. They did it the next week vs. Warren! Rest is history so far.

I honestly didn't think we'd be here at this point talking about the Giants in the Semi-State when they were 1-3, but here we are. Congratulations to Coach Simmons who took a lot of slings and arrows. He has, as my friend Tevin Studdard said on Twitter, "remained the same through it all."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

Closer than last time but Steele is the difference maker.  CG rolls 28-17.

I'm genuinely intrigued by this prediction... BD hasn't given up more than 14 points since CG (accounting for offensive turnovers returned for TDs and the Warren OT game). What makes you think CG and a hobbled Steele will be able to put up against 28 against one of the best defenses in the state? 

Just now, MICFan34 said:

I'm genuinely intrigued by this prediction... BD hasn't given up more than 14 points since CG (accounting for offensive turnovers returned for TDs and the Warren OT game). What makes you think CG and a hobbled Steele will be able to put up against 28 against one of the best defenses in the state? 

You think Steele is “hobbled”? 2 TDS and over 100 yards rushing, and he’s hobbled? With Steele and Wheat, that makes CG a whole lot more dangerous. 

25 minutes ago, MICFan34 said:

I think Warren’s D is on par and actually slightly better than BD’s and the Grove went to the east side and wore them down and dropped 28.  Don’t think it’s that unreasonable to expect them to do the same to BD.

Gimme CG 27-21 

On a side note with 3 of the final 4 and pretty much a guarantee to have both finalists it's sad that the MIC is so down this year. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 and I include myself who said they were down.  Well if this what down looks like, I'll take it all day.

15 hours ago, dmizers3 said:

Gimme CG 27-21 

On a side note with 3 of the final 4 and pretty much a guarantee to have both finalists it's sad that the MIC is so down this year. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 and I include myself who said they were down.  Well if this what down looks like, I'll take it all day.

You and me both!. Granted I stated earlier that the HCC had to not only beat MIC teams in regular season, but they would first have to supplant them in the tournament. Still I had expected maybe 2 MIC teams, 1 HCC team, and 1 Duneland. Ends up 3 Mic 1 Duneland. Boy were my thoughts wrong!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FastpacedO said:

You and me both!. Granted I stated earlier that the HCC had to not only beat MIC teams in regular season, but they would first have to supplant them in the tournament. Still I had expected maybe 2 MIC teams, 1 HCC team, and 1 Duneland. Ends up 3 Mic 1 Duneland. Boy were my thoughts wrong!

Likewise.

On 11/16/2019 at 6:11 PM, MICFan34 said:

Especially against those offensive juggernauts Zionsville, Perry Meridian and Southport!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Staxawax said:

Especially against those offensive juggernauts Zionsville, Perry Meridian and Southport!

Yep, the offensive juggernaut, Zionsville, that put up 44 against Brownsburg, had the leading rusher in 6A, and put up the most points against Avon this year (28).

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MICFan34 said:

Yep, the offensive juggernaut, Zionsville, that put up 44 against Brownsburg, had the leading rusher in 6A, and put up the most points against Avon this year (28).

That's really an extremely weak argument...

Yes, Perry Meridian had a weak offense.  Southport, not awful, but not great.  Zionsville, however, averaged 25.0/game (26.6/game before the BD game) and were limited to 7 points.  They wouldn't have scored at all if BD would have kept the starters in the game.  If you want to go even further, since week 5, BD defense is giving up 13.25/game which includes 24 to WC though technically 10 (2 TD were because of turnovers), 14 to Carmel, 7 to North Central and of course 7 to the lone remaining HCC team, Zionsville.

This isn't week 4 BD, just as it isn't week 4 CG.  These two teams are extremely different at this point.  This one should be quite the showdown.  I'll be watching the webcast while at the Carmel game.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Staxawax said:

Go back and look what they did against Warren, Carmel, and North Central. BD handed LC two scores, too. But yes, I'm sure they're just awful🙄.

3 hours ago, MICFan34 said:

37 points in the second half.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2019 at 9:08 AM, HoosierFB_JG said:

This isn't week 4 BD, just as it isn't week 4 CG. 

Very true. BD can't put the ball on the ground and make the mistakes they made vs. Zionsville this week. Won't work.

On 11/18/2019 at 5:31 PM, TrojanDad said:

This game will be a war.....regular seasons go right out the window....was really impressed with BD's QB last time....DL will have to rush, yet contain.

Have so much respect for BD's program....remember the Dullaghan days when CG used to try to get over the hump against his teams.  What a dynasty.  

Do you remember the classic 4-3 game when BD nipped CG with 2 safeties??  Been some excellent games over the years!!

Yes, I remember that 4-3 game. BD had a long run called back due to a hold. What an awful win...if there is such a thing. Same year BD got toasted at Warren. BD had a 76-7 loss and a 4-3 win on the docket that year as well as a loss to Terre Haute North and a shutout win over Penn. What an up and down year.

I really am impressed with the job that Jason has done this year. I have to admit that I didn't know where BD was headed at 1-3 coming off a 3-7 year last year, but it's been a fun experience seeing this group buy what Coach Simmons is selling.