Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Center Grove vs Ben Davis 6A Semi-State

17 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

And opinions are opinions. Don't confuse the two.

Attendance figures, empty seats and lack of thread views/votes are opinions?

Edited by Guest

17 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Attendance figures, empty seats

I haven't seen any facts regarding these. Where are the numbers and links?

17 minutes ago, Temptation said:

lack of thread views/votes are opinions?

Yes. Lack of thread views/votes on the GID has nothing to do with facts about 6A football in Indiana. Most of the thread views/votes/attention on the GID historically has been in the lower classes. A fact which is known by those of us who aren't relative newcomers to the site. Means nothing in the real world.

Edited by gonzoron

12 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

I haven't seen any facts regarding these. Where are the numbers and links?

Video don’t lie. Warren had about 10% of their home side filled against CG in Regionals. BD barely brought any fans to their Semi-State game, which was a short drive from Wayne Twp. The end zone seats were empty and CG had plenty of open seats on their side. 

11 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Video don’t lie. Warren had about 10% of their home side filled against CG in Regionals. BD barely brought any fans to their Semi-State game, which was a short drive from Wayne Twp. The end zone seats were empty and CG had plenty of open seats on their side. 

How many online viewers were there? 

14 hours ago, Temptation said:

It was standing room only a few years back at CG when Avon came to town yet MIC schools with a combined enrollment of 7000 can’t even fill the seats in a winner take all contest for a trip to LOS?

Yes.  In the stadium that was built the year after the Avon game.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

How many online viewers were there? 

Irrelevant.  Hobart/EN was online too...sell out/standing room only IN A SMALLER STADIUM with a TWO HOUR DRIVE.

New Pal/Cathedral...sell out/standing room only.

DT does often make himself an easy target but you guys love to team up on anyone with a contrarian/controversial opinion despite the facts being right in front of your faces.  Reminds me of middle school.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Temptation said:

Irrelevant.  Hobart/EN was online too...sell out IN A SMALLER STADIUM with a TWO HOUR DRIVE.

New Pal/Cathedral...same.

DT does often make himself an easy target but you guys love to team up on anyone with a contrarian/controversial opinion despite the facts being right in front of your faces.  Reminds me of middle school.

Not teaming up on anyone. Just asking for facts. Neither you nor DT have presented all of the facts. Only cherry picked ones that support your opinions. Why is online viewership irrelevant? Are you saying those viewers aren't interested in the game they took the time to watch? Makes no sense.

What have you seen while officiating 6A games around the State? Have you officiated enough 6A games to give a factual response to 6A attendance/viewership in Indiana?

5 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Not teaming up on anyone. Just asking for facts. Neither you nor DT have presented all of the facts. Only cherry picked ones that support your opinions. Why is online viewership irrelevant? Are you saying those viewers aren't interested in the game they took the time to watch? Makes no sense.

What have you seen while officiating 6A games around the State? Have you officiated enough 6A games to give a factual response to 6A attendance/viewership in Indiana?

What facts do you need other than tons of empty seats? The facts are right there!

You can’t tell me that in the examples I stated above, it’s not clear cut.  

Hobart to EN is 2+ hours, between two smaller schools and you couldn’t find a seat.

BD to CG is 25 minutes, has no one in the end zone seats and gaps in the seats on both sidelines...

Don't even get me started on Warren the previous week.

Both contests above were streamed online...

I’ve watched the streams, seen the stands, etc...no other facts needed.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Numbers.

How many have you officiated?

1.  Don’t have “numbers” but all of the MIC network streams are uploaded on YouTube if you want to see for yourself.  It doesn’t take a space engineer to estimate a crowd when looking at the size of the stadium and percentage of empty seats.

2.  Irrelevant.

24 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Numbers.

How many have you officiated?

Speaking of numbers, tickets sold vs tickets used is often a misnomer that athletic departments at the collegiate level use to “fluff” the numbers.  They announced yesterday’s Indiana game as a “near sell out” all week and the place was 30 percent empty.

”Get them while they last!”

Edited by Guest

Here's what I take away from this.  East Noble and Hobart are both proud communities who are excited about playing in the Semi State because it hasn't happened in long time.  At WC, BD, CG, and Carmel, anything less than a state championship is just another game.  I don't have all the stats, but I would imagine 3/4 of those teams are in the Semi State every year, so it kind of loses its prestige after awhile correct? All of those teams have sustained success year in and year out, so their fan's expectations have to be higher.  That means its a State Championship or nothing.  

Not the case for East Noble or Hobart, which is why it was standing room only at the game Friday night.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

Here's what I take away from this.  East Noble and Hobart are both proud communities who are excited about playing in the Semi State because it hasn't happened in long time.  At WC, BD, CG, and Carmel, anything less than a state championship is just another game.  I don't have all the stats, but I would imagine 3/4 of those teams are in the Semi State every year, so it kind of loses its prestige after awhile correct? All of those teams have sustained success year in and year out, so their fan's expectations have to be higher.  That means its a State Championship or nothing.  

Not the case for East Noble or Hobart, which is why it was standing room only at the game Friday night.

WeBo’s (2A school) crowd at LOS was praised last year because they were out in full force and had more students there than WC and Carmel.

I agree that your “championship or bust” mentality at those schools mentioned has some merit but keep a close eye on the stands at LOS Friday/Saturday night.  

Just a semi state vs playing for the state title?  Will there be a noticeable difference?

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Temptation said:

WeBo’s (2A school) crowd at LOS was praised last year because they were out in full force and had more students there than WC and Carmel.

I agree that your “championship or bust” mentality at those schools mentioned has some merit but keep a close eye on the stands at LOS Friday/Saturday night.  

Just a semi state vs playing for the state title?  Will there be a noticeable difference?

Hopefully I'll be too busy celebrating an East Noble State Chamopionship drinking Knight BL's. But I will keep an eye on it 

8 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Again, Center Grove is losing tens of thousands of dollars due to poor road attendance from MIC schools

HCC is where the money is at.   CG and Carmel would be wise to jump.  

1 hour ago, DT said:

Again, Center Grove is losing tens of thousands of dollars due to poor road attendance from MIC schools

HCC attendance wasn’t very good in the tournament either.  Westfield surely wasn’t full in the sectionals.

6 hours ago, DT said:

Center Grove joining the HCC would have no impact on Ben Davis' attendance at Semi State. 

• Like 1

Instead of talking about an extremely well-played football game between rivals, we're talking about attendance.... but whatever helps you all sleep at night. 

I'm more interested in talking about the actual game played on the field on a FOOTBALL website but I digress. Kudos to CG's defense and their absolute wrecking-crew of a DL last Friday night, but Ben Davis was just as equally physical and making big plays defensively. 

11 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

You might want to do some research prior to posting.

That was prior to CG's football stadium retrofit....significantly more capacity was added on both the home and visitors sides......Significantly more capacity.

Avon came into that game winning 9 in a row....has a pretty darn good QB....Jim Harbaugh was up in the press box.  I don't think Avon had been to the semi-state much, so the excitement was big time.  CG was undefeated.  So that game has an atmosphere of its own...in a much smaller venue.

I do agree that streaming games and putting them on TV have made people more lazy when it comes to sitting out in the elements especially.  (cold, rain, etc)  Way too convenient to watch it on TV with replay.  Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the BD vs CG game televised locally on Channel 23/1023??  (Comcast)  Who knows how many people were watching?  Not all schools in the tournament had that option.

So what was the purpose of the "retrofit?"  To prepare for bigger games like Friday night's, I assume.  So folks like me (who was at that game) do not have to stand 2-3 deep along the fence in the end zone?

You are admitting that all semi-state contests do not provide the same excitement which is EXACTLY the point DT is making.  Is Gillette Stadium sold out when the Patriots make the AFC title game?  Yes, even though its pretty much an expectation there now.

A trip to the STATE FINALS should be exciting, regardless.  Your justification is laughable.

On 11/23/2019 at 8:43 PM, Temptation said:

How was Merrillville’s crowd at Carmel last night?

Reporting back as I just saw highlights and not really sure what this says but from the looks of it, both sides were about 2/3 full on Friday night at Carmel.  Carmel (a school of 5200 I remind you) had a student section that might have eclipsed 100.  So much for boredom of playing another MIC school.  Its widespread.

Edited by Guest