Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Center Grove vs Ben Davis 6A Semi-State

8 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Not justifying anything...it is fact, that technology has had an impact.  If you don't think more watched in on local live TV or streaming today than in the past, you would be wrong.  Further, the one comparison you used isn't close to apple to apple.  If you put those people from the past Avon/CG semistate in 2015 in the stands, I am guessing your are right...there were more people there....but how much more...that I don't know.  The new venue has much more capacity.  When our son played in the old venue, you were forced to go there on friday afternoons and tape your seats off in order to get a decent seat.  The size of the old stadium was pretty dang small.  Do any of MIC teams visiting CG in the old days disagree with me??  The visitor stands were a joke.  And that is why people stood 2-3  deep....period.

I think technology has made people lazy....so many stay in their own homes to watch.  You have no clue how many tuned in on TV or streamed to watch the game that in the past would have went out in the cold.  I don't like it, but it is what it is.  

You ignoring the difference between venue size, technology, and the difference in the semi-state teams the year you referenced is what I find laughable.  Personally, I think you just like to find a single issue and complain.  (as evidenced by your posts on the other thread)  

BTW, how's the crow tasting over the "decline/demise" of the MIC?? 

Anyone with a pulse could’ve predicted technology’s impact on the game so why expand the stadium in the first place?  Seems bogus to me.

Crow tastes more salty every day as I’m reminded by butt hurt MIC fans.  Might want to take a look at the top of the tourney contest standings.  For a guy who likes to complain about certain issues, I seem to be right more than I’m wrong.  

Edited by Guest

21 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Anyone with a pulse could’ve predicted technology’s impact on the game so why expand the stadium in the first place?  Seems bogus to me.

Crow tastes more salty every day as I’m reminded by butt hurt MIC fans. 

What in God's name do MIC fans have to be butthurt about?

40 minutes ago, javaswat01 said:

What in God's name do MIC fans have to be butthurt about?

They have had false/fake outrage since September when myself (and a handful of other posters) had the audacity to speculate that the HCC might be taking the lead in terms of conference supremacy.  It was a real thing at the time as the head to head was in favor of the HCC.

It has now turned into hyperbole and speculation has turned into "you guaranteed" and "taking the lead" has turned into "you predicted its demise."

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

Crow tastes more salty every day as I’m reminded by butt hurt MIC fans.  Might want to take a look at the top of the tourney contest standings.  For a guy who likes to complain about certain issues, I seem to be right more than I’m wrong.  

Center Grove might be one of the very few facilities in the state where another round of stadium expansion still might not be enough.

They are by far the most rabid and supportive 6A crowd in the state.  And given the look of some of these young sophomores coming up, this team could be very scary in a few years, if it isn't already.

I can see why Coach Moore decided not to hang it up after the internal dust up last year.  The current and upcoming crop of CG offensive and defensive linemen are bigger. stronger and faster than their predecessors.  I thought we might have already seen the peak of Center Grove football excellence.  Now I've revised my thinking.  Its still to come.

18 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

At rush hour it's more like 45-50.

Ah, that explains why it was “friends and family night” on the BD sideline.  🙄

3 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Which turns out to be false. 

Yep, and I’ve owned it...many times.

I think we know 2 things for certain.

The MIC is still kingpin.

The HCC is closing the gap.

Outside of Zionsville, HCC post season performance was rather disapointing and tarnished a solid regular season.

Both Avon and Brownsburg were exposed as overrated teams.

HSE and Fishers never gained any real momentum.

Noblesville was a disaster.

Franklin Central pulled a few surprises.

Westfield gets no respect

Center Grove -  Carmel, while redundant, is elite level high school football.  I will take this matchup over BD-WC any day of the week.

Edited by DT

6 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Ah, that explains why it was “friends and family night” on the BD sideline.  🙄

I didn't say that. Honestly, BD has never all that well since I've been around here if I'm being honest...even when I was a student. It's not just football.

Edited by BDGiant93

2 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

I didn't say that. Honestly, BD has never all that well since I've been around here if I'm being honest...even when I was a student. It's not just football.

Curious to hear your opinion about what it is then because I know places like Warren even sometimes provides a fan bus, and it makes little difference.

Just now, Temptation said:

Curious to hear your opinion about what it is then because I know places like Warren even sometimes provides a fan bus, and it makes little difference.

I wish I could explain it. BD shows for certain games and will line 10th Street and buy tons of tickets when the team makes a state run, but it's difficult to get our fans out before then. I remember in the 2000 Semi-State Center Grove had probably more fans than we did at home (frigid night and snowing). It kind of is what it is at this point.

2 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

I wish I could explain it. BD shows for certain games and will line 10th Street and buy tons of tickets when the team makes a state run, but it's difficult to get our fans out before then. I remember in the 2000 Semi-State Center Grove had probably more fans than we did at home (frigid night and snowing). It kind of is what it is at this point.

Center Grove parents are more engaged, involved and attached to their children's extra curricular activities than are the parents at Ben Davis and Warren Central.  

It is most likely associated with contributing socio economic factors.

5 hours ago, MICFan34 said:

Instead of talking about an extremely well-played football game between rivals, we're talking about attendance.... but whatever helps you all sleep at night. 

I'm more interested in talking about the actual game played on the field on a FOOTBALL website but I digress. Kudos to CG's defense and their absolute wrecking-crew of a DL last Friday night, but Ben Davis was just as equally physical and making big plays defensively. 

Here Here!

I thought the Giants gave a good account of themselves on Friday night. Center Grove's youngster made two big plays on defense. Knocking the pass away from Nolen when he was on his way for six and forcing the Hassel fumble. Just a couple plays different and we're talking a tie game and who knows what happens after that. It was a physical football game. Too many flags also didn't help the Giants.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DT said:

Center Grove parents are more engaged, involved and attached to their children's extra curricular activities than are the parents at Ben Davis and Warren Central.  

It is most likely associated with contributing socio economic factors.

I'm sure I will get blasted for this, but oh well.

Even the STUDENTS are not turning out.  I have a theory as I have seen it firsthand.  At many of the "mega schools" the disconnect between the football team and the regular/everyday student body is growing larger and larger.  It's FOOTBALL and then every other extracurricular activity gets pushed to the side, causing apathy from many of those not involved.  I get that it is the big show and funds all other activities but I've seen many students who are spiteful that they are marginalized and every thing the football team is magnified.

Many football coaches at these schools don't teach and are given a cake walk.  They know why they were hired.  The game has outgrown itself and folks have forgotten what's important.  These stadiums have been built/expanded and they have tons of empty seats on Friday nights.

Doesn't help that there is no "small town feel" at the mega schools either.

3 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Even the STUDENTS are not turning out.  I have a theory as I have seen it firsthand.  At many of the "mega schools" the disconnect between the football team and the regular/everyday student body is growing larger and larger.  It's FOOTBALL and then every other extracurricular activity gets pushed to the side, causing apathy from many of those not involved.  I get that it is the big show and funds all other activities but I've seen many students who are spiteful that they are marginalized and every thing the football team is magnified.

Many football coaches at these schools don't teach and are given a cake walk.  They know why they were hired.  The game has outgrown itself and folks have forgotten what's important.  These stadiums have been built/expanded and they have tons of empty seats on Friday nights.

I wonder how much money could be raised by some of these schools if they could deconstruct and sell off excess seating capacity.

Ben Davis and Warren come first to mind.  Certainly there are others.  

Maybe New Pal or Mt Vernon would be interested in buying Warrens excess seating capacity.

Or perhaps Mooresville or Decatur Central could use some extra capacity and might make a purchase from BD.

3 hours ago, Temptation said:

Reporting back as I just saw highlights and not really sure what this says but from the looks of it, both sides were about 2/3 full on Friday night at Carmel.  Carmel (a school of 5200 I remind you) had a student section that might have eclipsed 100.  So much for boredom of playing another MIC school.  Its widespread.

I can show you a picture of a basketball game Vs Fishers last year at Carmel where the Carmel student section totaled 50 at most.  You’re absolutely right, football or basketball, it’s widespread.

9 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

I would say there were more CG fans at BD in 2016 too. Game was delayed for rain and it was freezing cold

21 hours ago, Temptation said:

Prime example...perfect timing.

https://www.wthr.com/article/police-investigate-alleged-assault-inside-roncalli-football-locker-room

On 11/25/2019 at 2:28 PM, Temptation said:

Students get connected to their activities here. If you don't believe there's a family at BD, come look at our performing arts and how much those kids feel a part of something. Come look at some of the Area 31 Career programs where kids feel connected. At BD you have to get connected so something, and there's a ton of things to get connected to in Giantland. May not be your idea of "small town feel" but it's definitely something like it. It may not be showing in the stands, but it shows in the hallways. 

Also, I have to say Coach Simmons does a great job encouraging his young men to go support other programs. Fall sport student sections were dominated by football players. The Basketball coaching staff also does a great job with this.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Students get connected to their activities here. If you don't believe there's a family at BD, come look at our performing arts and how much those kids feel a part of something. Come look at some of the Area 31 Career programs where kids feel connected. At BD you have to get connected so something, and there's a ton of things to get connected to in Giantland. May not be your idea of "small town feel" but it's definitely something like it. It may not be showing in the stands, but it shows in the hallways. 

Also, I have to say Coach Simmons does a great job encouraging his young men to go support other programs. Fall sport student sections were dominated by football players. The Basketball coaching staff also does a great job with this.

You don’t get it.  The normal, every day student who does not take part in anything extracurricular couldn’t care less about FOOTBALL, save for a few exceptions.  

In a school that large, many of the kids simply slip through the cracks.  It’s human nature.

The “Purple Reign” student section should be referred to as the “Purple Sprinkle” because it is usually sparse at best.  Even some of your football players were taking to Twitter over the past two years that their fan support was atrocious.

And before you accuse me of not knowing what I’m talking about, I can assure you that I’m close enough to the situation.  As close as you?  Nope.  But close nonetheless.

4 minutes ago, Temptation said:

You don’t get it.  The normal, every day student who does not take part in anything extracurricular couldn’t care less about FOOTBALL, save for a few exceptions.  

In a school that large, many of the kids simply slip through the cracks.  It’s human nature.

The “Purple Reign” student section should be referred to as the “Purple Sprinkle” because it is usually sparse at best.  Even some of your football players were taking to Twitter over the past two years that their fan support was atrocious.

And before you accuse me of not knowing what I’m talking about, I can assure you that I’m close enough to the situation.  As close as you?  Nope.  But close nonetheless.

Actually, it's Purple Rain.

I'm not disputing that fan support has been a problem. Several comments ago, I acknowledged that this is not a new issue. 

My point was only that Coach Simmons and Coach Kirschner before him have encouraged their players to go support other sports. That's all. Calm down. 

Edited by BDGiant93
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Actually, it's Purple Rain.

I'm not disputing that fan support has been a problem. Several comments ago, I acknowledged that this is not a new issue. 

My point was only that Coach Simmons and Coach Kirschner before him have encouraged their players to go support other sports. That's all. Calm down. 

“Reign” makes more sense...and I’m completely calm.

19 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

This is definitely true. Community feel at the larger MIC schools can be more difficult. Small and medium cities are more connected because more families know each other and they tend to be associated with the school regardless if they have children in the school. Carmel and Center Grove are probably as close to that as you can get in the MIC. Warren and BD have had epic crowds in the past as people from all over the city would go to that game, but that interest seems to have waned a little. That would be hard to dispute. I think communities like Westfield, Zionsville, Brownsburg, and Avon in the HCC are more similar to Carmel/Center Grove than the Marion County MIC schools, but they still aren't the level of other communities. I've worked back to back weeks where we had more fans at Mississinewa than Pike.