Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2A Semi-State: Western Boone @ Triton Central

I just dont understand why people keep bringing up "needing a good passing game"    This isnt the NFL, it isnt college,  you can have a really great running scheme, run the ball 98% of the time, and still win.  IMAGINE THAT.  

3 possibilites during a passing play, and 2 of them are bad. ill take my chances getting 4 yards and a cloud of dust, and must moving the ball at will.  I know its not pretty, its not exciting, but it WINS.

21 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

It will be interesting to see how TC will stop the Webo Rushing attack.  You can't stack the box with #7 back there.

He is a special player for sure.

1 minute ago, WCGrad92 said:

I just dont understand why people keep bringing up "needing a good passing game"    This isnt the NFL, it isnt college,  you can have a really great running scheme, run the ball 98% of the time, and still win.  IMAGINE THAT.  

3 possibilites during a passing play, and 2 of them are bad. ill take my chances getting 4 yards and a cloud of dust, and must moving the ball at will.  I know its not pretty, its not exciting, but it WINS.

He is a special player for sure.

We have won all year doing just that.  

Ill tell ya i dont know much about TC. But boy does western boone look amazing once again.

Im a warrior but cant help but wish a hell of a team the best of luck tonight!

That webo runnin game will carry em to LOS! Too physical for this TC team i think!

Western Boone: 27

TC: 19

ABSOLUTE BUSH LEAGUE move by Triton Central last night.  Webo takes 4 consecutive knees and turns the ball over on downs to run the clock out.... TC gets the ball, throws a pass... I’m thinking Ok, wants to get a kid 1 last touch... Then Takes a TO with 1.4 sec left and throws and scores... I have heard nothing but good things about Coach Abel, but that was absolutely classless.  

• Confused 1

On 11/20/2019 at 8:16 AM, WCGrad92 said:

I just don't understand why people keep bringing up "needing a good passing game"    This isnt the NFL, it isnt college,  you can have a really great running scheme, run the ball 98% of the time, and still win.  IMAGINE THAT.  

3 possibilities during a passing play, and 2 of them are bad. ill take my chances getting 4 yards and a cloud of dust, and must moving the ball at will.  I know its not pretty, its not exciting, but it WINS.

This game was a prime example of why teams can benefit from a good passing game to compliment their running game.  TC had a very strong running game coming in BUT WeBo's defense was able to control it.  TC was never able to consistently "get 4 yds and a cloud of dust" nor could they "move the ball at will", thus completely negating their previously dominant running game.  By mid way through the 2nd qtr, WeBo had 11 guys within 5-7 yds of line of scrimmage.  If TC had more ability to throw the ball, they could have stretched out the WeBo defense and maybe been able to generate more space for running game.  

When TC did throw, they usually only had 2 in the pattern, allowing WeBo to double-team and still have 7 guys in box.  Certainly some may disagree but it is hard to argue with the result last night;  TC would have been much better off if they had even a good but not great passing game.  The game was never really in doubt after WeBo's 1st 2 drives.  TC got within a TD late in 2nd qtr but WeBo responded with a quick TD, largely due to a long pass play 😎 to push lead back to 14 at half and were never challenged in the 2nd half. 

WeBo looked strong on both sides of the ball and even with a good passing game the result may not have been much different.  Good Luck to the Stars next week.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

@CaptainHook Go watch the last 1:30 of the game... You’ll see what I am talking about.  

So Triton Central was not supposed to keep playing when they got the ball back? What difference does it make if the score is 35-14 vs 35-7? I’m just trying to understand your thought process. Thanks!

I don't know why TC got away from the short throws that were successful the first drive? They were having tremendous success, heck at that point I thought we were going to have our hands full.

On 11/16/2019 at 7:52 PM, captainobvious said:

I’ll take Triton Central by 7!

Be honest, did that score surprise you or were you just picking TC with your heart?

6 minutes ago, Woody_Hayes said:

So Triton Central was not supposed to keep playing when they got the ball back? What difference does it make if the score is 35-14 vs 35-7? I’m just trying to understand your thought process. Thanks!

It’s etiquette or an unwritten rule.  We took 4 knees and turned it over in our territory.  I imagine there would be people complaining had we continued to run the ball or throwing the ball up 28.  I guess Coach Pelley and his staff have a little more class than most.

1 hour ago, 1st_and_10 said:

It’s etiquette or an unwritten rule.  We took 4 knees and turned it over in our territory.  I imagine there would be people complaining had we continued to run the ball or throwing the ball up 28.  I guess Coach Pelley and his staff have a little more class than most.

You mean like putting one in up 42-7 with under a minute to go in the ballgame?? 

Careful throwing stones. 

Didn’t watch the game but reading the thread I would agree that’s not great on TC’s part - but kuddos to you all for taking 4 knees (maybe the staff learned something after last years SS?) What the other team does is there decision, and they decided to play it out till the end. 

1 hour ago, jets said:

You mean like putting one in up 42-7 with under a minute to go in the ballgame?? 

Careful throwing stones. 

Didn’t watch the game but reading the thread I would agree that’s not great on TC’s part - but kuddos to you all for taking 4 knees (maybe the staff learned something after last years SS?) What the other team does is there decision, and they decided to play it out till the end. 

Are you talking about a 5 yard bubble pass our Freshman threw to another Freshman against your starters?  Because the last TD was a QB read and the freshman QB kept it and scored after a PF penalty that gave the Freshman a 1st down.  We kneed the PAT.  Lol.  

You’re a joke.  

13 minutes ago, 1st_and_10 said:

Are you talking about a 5 yard bubble pass our Freshman threw to another Freshman against your starters?  Because the last TD was a QB read and the freshman QB kept it and scored after a PF penalty that gave the Freshman a 1st down.  We kneed the PAT.  Lol.  

You’re a joke.  

Call it what you will- just responding to a comment you made about the “CLASS” when the score was 42-7 with under a minute to go in the ballgame. Like I said- careful throwing stones. 

Best of luck next week. 

Didnt WeBo chuck one down field to get to 35,  i dont have a problem with it either way,  the kid that caught the final TD for Triton Central, that was his only TD all year. probably made that kids night. But I keep forgetting, this is an  "Its all about me" world we live in this day. Dont think to wonder why something may happen, or just be happy for a kids to score his first TD. Good Luck in State.

21 minutes ago, WCGrad92 said:

Didnt WeBo chuck one down field to get to 35,  i dont have a problem with it either way,  the kid that caught the final TD for Triton Central, that was his only TD all year. probably made that kids night. But I keep forgetting, this is an  "Its all about me" world we live in this day. Dont think to wonder why something may happen, or just be happy for a kids to score his first TD. Good Luck in State.

No.  It was “chucked” down the field On 4th down with less than a minute remaining in the 1st half of a 14-7 game. 

I just think if a Coach has called off the dogs, takes knees to just run the clock out (as not to embarrass the other team any further) then some mutual respect should be shown.  I guess I am old school that way.  And if I am honest, I think TC knew it was in poor taste too... otherwise why not call timeouts as Webo is taking the knees?  My opinion, because they knew they would get the ball back around the 40  and if they take the TOs then Webo would try to move the ball to run the clock out.

2 hours ago, jets said:

Careful throwing stones. 

These Southridge fans are still tossing and turning night after night since last years semi state! They talked a big game but couldn’t play a big game, psh unreal guy get over it!

9 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

I guess I am old school that way.

I’m a coach who has been in the situation you’re talking about multiple times. I always say we’re going to take a knee four times and give them the ball back. I don’t care if they score again because what difference does it make? And when those teams have scored, it doesn’t raise my blood pressure at all, because who cares? We won the game.

Still don’t get what the big deal is, but I am trying to understand where you’re coming from. Oh, and also, I’m as old school as they come. Doesn’t get more “old school” than Wayne Woodrow “Woody” Hayes lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jets said:

Call it what you will- just responding to a comment you made about the “CLASS” when the score was 42-7 with under a minute to go in the ballgame. Like I said- careful throwing stones. 

Best of luck next week. 

10 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

You’re a joke.  

I mean the FRESHMAN even scored on South. LOL. They quit. They quit and wanted to go home.  You wont get thru to him 1st and Goal, I honest to god still got a Southridge guy who texts me and makes excuses about last years SS. I don't get it, they think its some sort of hotbed down there for football. I didn't go back and look but I believe Southridge has the only Title this decade(Southridge, HH,GS, whoever else gets looped in it). I hope HH wins a title this year, just so our "lower region" can get some confidence back.

1 hour ago, Sargent Dangle said:

I mean the FRESHMAN even scored on South. LOL. They quit. They quit and wanted to go home.  You wont get thru to him 1st and Goal, I honest to god still got a Southridge guy who texts me and makes excuses about last years SS. I don't get it, they think its some sort of hotbed down there for football. I didn't go back and look but I believe Southridge has the only Title this decade(Southridge, HH,GS, whoever else gets looped in it). I hope HH wins a title this year, just so our "lower region" can get some confidence back.

Seriously it’s like talking to a brick wall with you WeBo folk...borderline childish/petty. 

Here’s the jist - 

1. Before last year, I hadn’t given 2 thoughts to the WeBo football program as it hadn’t been relevant for quite some time.

2. You all put it on us last year- plain and simple. Undefeated State Champs- was super impressed. 

3. From that time on, I’ve checked in on  WeBo this season as I knew they had quite a bit returning and a good chance to repeat. (I foolishly thought that would bring them up to 3A- but the system is flawed) 

4. A fan of yours starts throwing shade at another coaching staff and claims WeBo’s staff has WAY more class than others...hit the brakes for a second...I simply cited an example from the WeBo staff that could be seen by others as “laying it on”. I didn’t necessarily think too much of it at the time and still really don’t...we should have stopped it if we didn’t want to hear about it. I was just pointing out some may have seen it as unnecessary.

- I hope Chris or some moderators will shut this thread down soon as clearly there isn’t much more to be said. Best of luck in the State Championship 

1 hour ago, jets said:

Seriously it’s like talking to a brick wall with you WeBo folk...borderline childish/petty. 

Here’s the jist - 

1. Before last year, I hadn’t given 2 thoughts to the WeBo football program as it hadn’t been relevant for quite some time.

2. You all put it on us last year- plain and simple. Undefeated State Champs- was super impressed. 

3. From that time on, I’ve checked in on  WeBo this season as I knew they had quite a bit returning and a good chance to repeat. (I foolishly thought that would bring them up to 3A- but the system is flawed) 

4. A fan of yours starts throwing shade at another coaching staff and claims WeBo’s staff has WAY more class than others...hit the brakes for a second...I simply cited an example from the WeBo staff that could be seen by others as “laying it on”. I didn’t necessarily think too much of it at the time and still really don’t...we should have stopped it if we didn’t want to hear about it. I was just pointing out some may have seen it as unnecessary.

- I hope Chris or some moderators will shut this thread down soon as clearly there isn’t much more to be said. Best of luck in the State Championship 

I had no problem with them running a play... I had a problem with the TO.  Regardless if they scored or not, we still win.  I just thought the refusal to call the TO’s as we were taking knees then running a play and calling one was bush league.  It wasn’t the TD.. It was the TO.
The TC kids on D were shaking hands and congratulating the WEBO kids (as I’d the game was over).  The TC kids were clapping at their fans (as a Thank You).  

WEBO not getting bumped isn’t their fault, but you seem salty that you got bumped and Webo didn’t... We didn’t make the rule.  And as I stated in another post, any rule regarding a success factor/bump up rule you aren’t going to make everyone happy... Just like being a coach or manager... You will NEVER make everyone satisfied.

i have been on this board for 10 years or so & I have never ever called out a coaching staff until what happened Friday.  I am actually pretty objective and understand these are 15-18 yr old kids... Ask @Coach Nowlin.... I typically don’t take shots, but felt this one was warranted for the way it all went down.  I am guessing many coaches on here wouldn’t be thrilled with the way it played out.  Maybe I’m wrong.  Doesn’t matter, it’s done and over.

If you felt that Coach Pelley and his staff were trying to run it up with a bubble pass, then I truly apologize you took it that way.  I promise that wasn’t his intent... He was letting the Freshman run their offense in a Semi State Game.
(The above is sincere.... Seriously)

Thank you for the Good Luck in the State Game.  It should be a battle.