Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2A North Semi-State ANDREAN @ EASTBROOK

3 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

We have played 2 sectional championship games at Father Eckert field.   Didn't find it out of norm on anything.   2 thrilling games, however 2 losses nonetheless.  

We don't mind the walk to the school, our facilities also have a walk to contend with.  I loved the visitor side pressbox, much better than being outside like we are at home.   

I saw some pics of the field from NWI Times coverage and I see plenty of green. Most of the snow was off the field by 6:30. It's not like they were playing in West Lafayette/FW Luers level field conditions.

Edited by Boilernation

Andrean Is in Gary.  The school is outdated  and teachers leave cause the pay is terrible.  Walk inside Andrean it looks like a school from the 70s . Not saying they do but It seems the only thing they throw money to is the Baseball and softball facilities. The football field is nothing special looks the same as it did in the 80s.

Just like any other private school in the state  they have a enrollment that falls in the 2A category but they have athletes that can compete with larger schools. I bet more than half of their student body all play sports.  

Dont want to hear anyone say work harder you public schools like I have heard in the past on this site. You can’t make a kid be bigger or faster than what they are. Stronger yes. You can’t make a kid be 6’4 when he is 5’10. You can’t make a kid be 4.5 speed when he is 5.0 speed. That is public schools in a nutshell. It’s easy for private schools to always be on top when 6’4 guys come to your school year in and year out . Got to have the horses period. Once in awhile a public school gets a couple of good classes .

lets not forget Dwenger came to the inferno a couple times and left with a loss.  So it’s anyones game come Friday night. 

I will take eastbrook. To long of a drive and eastbrook might be bigger than andrean.

Edited by Boilerup
Wrong team

If the game is close towards the end, I would think Andrean has an advantage in their kicking game.  That kid is a bonafide kicker.  Watched him warm-up from the 40 yard line.  He also put all but 2 ckickoffs out of the back of the EZ.  He is accurate as much as he's strong.  If he's healthy, he's going to be a threat.

24 minutes ago, snrmike said:

If the game is close towards the end, I would think Andrean has an advantage in their kicking game.  That kid is a bonafide kicker.  Watched him warm-up from the 40 yard line.  He also put all but 2 ckickoffs out of the back of the EZ.  He is accurate as much as he's strong.  If he's healthy, he's going to be a threat.

That’s a very good point!  Having a kicker you can count on to make longer field goals in high school is a luxury and an advantage!  We’ll just hope it doesn’t come down to that.  Eastbrook won semi-state last year on a last second kick and lost the year before on one.

• Like 1

Andrean is perhaps the best team that can be recruited/assembled in that area at the 2A level, not necessarily the best team money $$ can buy though.  I'm very much pulling for Eastbrook, the CIC needs to avenge the Frankton loss against Andrean in Semi-State basketball 8 months ago.  I haven't looked at enrollment figures lately, but I'd imagine that Andrean is just a handful of kids away from being 3A in football?

Just now, franktonite said:

Andrean is perhaps the best team that can be recruited/assembled in that area at the 2A level, not necessarily the best team money $$ can buy though.  I'm very much pulling for Eastbrook, the CIC needs to avenge the Frankton loss against Andrean in Semi-State basketball 8 months ago.  I haven't looked at enrollment figures lately, but I'd imagine that Andrean is just a handful of kids away from being 3A in football?

Don't really think I'd be talking about recruiting being from Frankton. 

10 hours ago, LCKfan4life said:

Best of luck to Eastbrook. Gary Andrean has the best team money can buy in 2A. Very disappointing to get up there and see little to no effort was made to clear the snow from the playing surface. I'm sure that was no accident.

Talk to your players about extra curricular activities after the play. They are just on the cusp of being cheap - pushing after the whistle, etc.. they will try to bait you into doing something stupid, which our guy wasn't smart enough to not get involved with. 

Their line is very big on both sides and they move well. Like I said, best team $$ can buy. Would love to see the Panthers win this one!

This is the kind of whiny sour grapes that is very uncharacteristic of a classy program like Lewis Cass. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, franktonite said:

It's not recruiting, it's called "strongly encouraging" : )  Please elaborate on someone who you feel was recruited to Frankton...……….. and obviously not for football.

You got a kid from Aitch Aitch a few years back that made a positive contribution to Eagles basketball.

2 hours ago, franktonite said:

Nobody from Frankton should be throwing stones about recruiting or anything else on a FOOTBALL site, until they can at least go .500 or better!!  Sorry!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, franktonite said:

I believe their enrollment was 414. About 120 students from 3A.

3 hours ago, captainobvious said:

Nobody from Frankton should be throwing stones about recruiting or anything else on a FOOTBALL site, until they can at least go .500 or better!!  Sorry!

And nobody from Alexandria should be talking about regional or semi-state play since they've never won a sectional.  Sorry!

18 hours ago, whiteshoes said:

Their rib eye steak sandwich is worth the trip by itself.   However, throw in a great game as well and it makes a perfect night.

Now see New Pal , and the rest of the remaining venues! This  is exactly what I was talking about with concessions.  You can get people there early .Get people there, who would may not otherwise pick that specific game ,and make more money. I guess I’m headed northbound this Friday. 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 6:55 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

#8 Ryan Walsh, Andrean, get to know him, just tuned up Cass for 266 yards and 3 touchdowns.   We had our struggles with him as well, I think he got 160 some against us.   

#3 Nick Flesher, does everything from, Outside WR, Slot, Jet, Wildcat.   Very good pass catcher 

VERY BIG OL and Front 7.  

We were very successful running the ball, but had 3 turnovers led to 20 points in our 10 pt loss 2 weeks ago.   

Physical team, good players, good schemes, playing very well right now.   

Size and strength of Andrean to much for the Kings.  I thought this years Cass team speed would be able to overcome their lack of size and strength upfront.  Unfortunately, I was mistaken and the Kings were physically beat.  The wet surface may have decreased the speed advantage a little.   I haven't seen Eastbrook this year.  I think you need a team like the Bombers (minus turnovers) to beat Andrean.  Cass was unable to get the passing game going due to the pressure Andrean put on them and I think the wet surface.  Couldn't run the ball consistently due to Andrean front 7 strength.  

Good luck to the 59ers and the Panthers.

Edited by Scat
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Scat said:

Size and strength of Andrean to much for the Kings.  I thought this years Cass team speed would be able to overcome their lack of size and strength upfront.  Unfortunately, I was mistaken and the Kings were physically beat.  The wet surface may have decreased the speed advantage a little.   I haven't seen Eastbrook this year.  I think you need a team like the Bombers (minus turnovers) to beat Andrean.  Cass was unable to get the passing game going due to the pressure Andrean put on them and I think the wet surface.  Couldn't run the ball consistently due to Andrean front 7 strength.  

Good luck to the 59ers and the Panthers.

This sounds extremely familiar to me! I said the same thing about us. I am going to pick Andrean on this one, as most of us along their path have underestimated just how good they are. I wish Eastbrook luck, but I do not think they will match up against Andrean.

1 hour ago, Graphic Context said:

This sounds extremely familiar to me! I said the same thing about us. I am going to pick Andrean on this one, as most of us along their path have underestimated just how good they are. I wish Eastbrook luck, but I do not think they will match up against Andrean.

Have you seen Eastbrook play much this year?

It's been a very long time since I've seen a 2A team that Eastbrook couldn't compete with in the trenches.  Even in the games they lost the past 3 years in the playoffs, I wouldn't say they lost those game at the line of scrimmage.  If Andrean dominates them at the line of scrimmage, I'll be very surprised.  

Edited by XStar
  • Like 1

Andrean is just a few years out from something that Eastbrook does not have and that's State Championships.  They were a 4A school just a few years ago because of the success factor.  Everybody says Andrean is big up front.  Eastbrook has a lot of speed and strength.  This game is going to come down to execution.  Who commits the fewest penalties and turnovers.  Eastbrook has had a great run the last few years.  Only losses this year comes against 2 4A schools on the road.  They have big game experience.  Andrean fans will pack out the small visitor's side at Eastbrook.  In the end Andrea will have a long ride back to Gary as Eastbrook pulls out the win.

https://ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/quick resources/Enrollments & Classifications/football schools 19-20.pdf

Andrean was only 35 kids away from 1a folks.    

Now, I would expect an enrollment increase once they officially break ground and build their new palace in southern Lake county, Crown Point with easy I65 access.  

The last 2 years they played in 3a was not because of enrollment, they would of been 2a, but you cannot drop from Success Factor back 2 classes based on enrollment, so when their time was up in 4a, they automatically went to 3a with a 2a enrollment.   They had a very good team last year in 3a, but was stuck with West Lafayette in sectionals. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Boilerup said:

Andrean Is in Gary.  The school is outdated  and teachers leave cause the pay is terrible.  Walk inside Andrean it looks like a school from the 70s . Not saying they do but It seems the only thing they throw money to is the Baseball and softball facilities. The football field is nothing special looks the same as it did in the 80s.

53rd and Broadway is the border of Gary and Merrillville. Andrean is definitely in Merrillville. I haven't been there in a while, but isn't Hammond Bishop Noll in worse shape than Andrean? I think Andrean has 4 factors they benefit from: 

1. NWI is either the 2nd or 3rd largest metro area in Indiana. I believe the metro population (excluding Illiniois) is higher than metro Fort Wayne, but I'm not sure. Just like Indy and Chicago, a large population base means a lot of Catholics. And a lot of those Catholics will send their kids to a Catholic HS

2. Andrean is more centrally located in Lake County than Bishop Noll is. it's also easier to get to for Porter County residents.

3. Andrean is a great option for people from Gary who don't want to send their kids to a Gary public or charter school

4. Andrean competes at a high level in Baseball, Football, and Basketball. That will attract good athletes. 

In fairness, I do think it's a little ridiculous they're playing basketball and football at the 2A level, but I'm also in favor of a multiplier being applied to Private schools.

Andrean could find themselves back in 3a with SF in 2 years.   Win this week gives them 3 points.   If they win sectional in 2020 with lots the same cast of characters, they will most certainly be at Semi State again, do not see anyone in Sec 34 coming out with all that Cass just lost and our size difference of Pioneer vs Andrean.   Maybe there will be sectional 34 surprise, I know Bremen was young too.   

Hope IHSAA streams this one.   Don't think I will be making the near 3 hour trip from CP or 2 hour 15 from Rensselaer.  

I really like Coach Adamson and his staff, love their system, Andrean has been prone to some Misdirection yards 2 weeks ago, which Eastbrook runs the Counter Iso very well.   Haven't seen any Panther film this year, but they are a plug and play system after all these years, names and numbers change, but output stays the same!!  I strive for that up here in RCHS, I think we are getting close to that.   

2 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Hope IHSAA streams this one.   Don't think I will be making the near 3 hour trip from CP or 2 hour 15 from Rensselaer.  

The listings currently say WJOB will stream the Andrean and Hobart games. I'm hoping Summit City Sports follows Dwenger to stream that game. I'll be all set from my cozy living room in Hamilton County.

• Like 1