Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

3A North Semi State: Bishop Chatard @ Mishawaka Marian

12 hours ago, Knight82 said:

Congrats Chatard 45-0.  Knights hung for a quarter but it was obvious they didn't have the horses to hang with the Trojans.  Good luck next week.

Very classy, like most of the fans we encountered last night, thank you. There was one jackass heckling our kids going onto the field. Unbelievable for a grown man talking to 16-18 year old kids like that. Grow up. 

Thanks to the folks at Mishawaka Marian for being wonderful hosts on Friday.  One of my closest friends in college and a groomsman at my wedding was an RB who would have played last on the ‘77 team before he went on to play at Butler (where we both played sports).  It was kind of special to me to finally visit his Alma Mater.  

Also a shout out for “The Evil Czech” recommendation.  The chicken and waffles were, in fact, great....although probably not the best thing I could have eaten at 10:00 PM.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Indian72 said:

People were questioning how many Chatard kids were not from their feeder schools.  That same question should be asked of Marian as well.  Fair is fair.  Not that it changes anything.

Actually - outside of one school (Cathedral), I think the questions about "recruiting" and "feeder schools" and all that other stuff just needs to stop. I personally do not care how many Marian kids came from feeder schools. That is for IHSAA to police/monitor...good or bad. Every comment made is outlandish and tarnishes the team and the players who work so hard, not fair to paint them with that brush.

That being said - thank you to Marian for their hospitality and for a great game. Great families and great players. Many of whom were gracious enough to wish us luck long after the game was over - class act!

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Temptation said:

What are feeder schools?

noun

• A school from which many or most students progress to a particular higher-level educational institution.

Basically, there are several Catholic parishes in Indianapolis. Many of these parishes have schools. In Indianapolis, these schools typically "feed" the 4 Catholic high schools (Chatard, Roncalli, Scecina, and Ritter). Typically, a child who is a part of a certain parish will go to the high school associated with that parish.

Just now, Temptation said:

What are feeder schools?

In Indianapolis, each side of town has several feeder Catholic Schools that feed into the Archdiocesan High Schools. 

Southside-St. Barnabas, Saint Rose of Lima, St. Jude, St. Mark, St. Roch, Our Lady of Greenwood, St. Francis/St. Claire, Nativity, Central Catholic, Holy Name go into Roncalli. 

Eastside- Our Lady of Lourdes, Catholic Academies, Little Flower, Holy Spirit Indy, St. Lawrence, St. Michael (Greenfield) go into Scecina.

Westside--St. Monica, St. Michael's, Holy Angels, St. Gabriel, St. Malachy (Not very knowledgable on the Westside lol) go into Ritter

Northside---Immaculate Heart, St. Pius, Christ the King, St. Louis de Monfort, Our Lady of Carmel, St. Simon, Holy Spirit Geist, St. Luke, St. Matthew, St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Maria Goretti, Our Lady of Grace (Noblesville), go into Guerin or Chatard... 

But really any Catholic school student can go anywhere they'd like, but mainly you see students stay on their side of town. However, Brebeuf and Cathedral realistically pull their students from all sides of town and these feeder schools. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Trojan88 said:

Actually - outside of one school (Cathedral), I think the questions about "recruiting" and "feeder schools" and all that other stuff just needs to stop. I personally do not care how many Marian kids came from feeder schools. That is for IHSAA to police/monitor...good or bad. Every comment made is outlandish and tarnishes the team and the players who work so hard, not fair to paint them with that brush.

That being said - thank you to Marian for their hospitality and for a great game. Great families and great players. Many of whom were gracious enough to wish us luck long after the game was over - class act!

Totally agree with everything here.  Marian players stayed long after to congratulate the Chatard players and wish them luck.

As to the recruiting accusations, suggestions, assumptions;  totally bogus and ignorant of how the archdiocese and the 4 parochial schools in Indy operate.  

23 hours ago, MICFan34 said:

In Indianapolis, each side of town has several feeder Catholic Schools that feed into the Archdiocesan High Schools. 

Northside---Immaculate Heart, St. Pius, Christ the King, St. Louis de Monfort, Our Lady of Carmel, St. Simon, Holy Spirit Geist, St. Luke, St. Matthew, St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Maria Goretti, Our Lady of Grace (Noblesville), go into Guerin or Chatard... 

Non-football related, but someone told me that Guerin is actually in the Lafayette Diocese. Is that true @TeddyGuerin or anyone else that might now?

Not that it makes the above quote irrelevant, I’m just curious and too lazy to Google. 😄

9 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Non-football related, but someone told me that Guerin is actually in the Lafayette Diocese. Is that true @TeddyGuerin or anyone else that might now?

Not that it makes the above quote irrelevant, I’m just curious and too lazy to Google. 😄

Yeah, you're totally right. I spaced on that. I think LCC and Guerin play for a Bishop's trophy? @foxbat may have more details about that. 

54 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

43 minutes ago, MICFan34 said:

Yeah, you're totally right. I spaced on that. I think LCC and Guerin play for a Bishop's trophy? @foxbat may have more details about that. 

Yes, Guerin is one of two Catholic high schools in the Diocese of Lafayette-in-Indiana.  LCC is the "older, smaller brother" while Guerin is the "younger, bigger brother."  Guerin started out in 1A in 2006, but quickly grew to 2A by the 2011 season, and its current 3A class back in 2013.  The two teams play every year since Guerin started playing IHSAA football in 2006.  At stake is the Bishop's Cannon trophy which was donated by Bishop Emeritus William L. Higi who also was at the helm of the Diocese when Guerin was built.  Tradition states that the Bishop attends the game between the two "sons" of the Diocese and, so as not to show favoritism, sits on one side for the first half and then, at halftime, switches to the other side to equally support both schools.  LCC leads the series 10-4, but Guerin has won the last three meetings and four of the last six.

• Thanks 2

On 11/26/2019 at 7:01 PM, Trojan88 said:

noun

• A school from which many or most students progress to a particular higher-level educational institution.

Basically, there are several Catholic parishes in Indianapolis. Many of these parishes have schools. In Indianapolis, these schools typically "feed" the 4 Catholic high schools (Chatard, Roncalli, Scecina, and Ritter). Typically, a child who is a part of a certain parish will go to the high school associated with that parish.

I'm any given parish, what percent of children go to a parochial school? Probably under 1 percent statewide. 

22 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Probably 99 percent of children living in public school districts go to public schools.. 0.5 percent each to private / home school 

Indiana shows a bit over 5% of its students are private school students.  Homeschoolers in Indiana account for a bit over 3% which puts Indiana a bit over the national average of around 2.5%.

1 hour ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Are parochials considered privates in that study? 

Yes, but charters aren't ... they are considered in the public school enrollments.  The total number ends up being closer to 10% or so for non-public schools combined.