Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Impossible?

8 hours ago, southend said:

Can a 4a enrollment school ever win the championship 6a game? 

New Pal could this year. Not saying they would but they could. They might even be favored.  I would argue that Cathedral this year could as well.  I also think last years New Pal team could have although much less likely. 

Obviously the transitive property has holes in it but it is really all we have to go by.  I'd say its not that far fetched.

New Pal defeated BOTH Center Grove (still playing in 6A) and Cathedral.

Cathedral soundly defeated Louisville Trinity.

Louisville Trinity destroyed Carmel and beat Warren in a close one.

Carmel (still playing in 6A) beat Center Grove and Warren went 1-1 against CG.

There is more to the story than this and surely many will point to Steele's absence and CG's inexperience when they played New Pal.  Also, the New Pal/Cathedral contest was much closer than the final score would indicate.

Louisville Trinity caught both Carmel and Warren early in the season where both teams were still trying to find themselves.  (Carmel eventually did, Warren didn't.)

In a one game, winner take all like football, I'd like New Pal's chances.  

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, psaboy said:

I'll go one better. The FW Luers teams in the late 2000's & early 2010's led by Jaylon Smith would have been a hand full in 5A (That was top class back then). 

I had to do a double take when I read this. But after further review, you may have a valid argument. I'm thinking 2010 & 2011.

2019.......................I'm going with New Pal, but not by a wide margin.

c

3 minutes ago, MICFan34 said:

Other than NP, Cathedral, and CE, has a team bumped up due to the Success Factor ever won or made it to the State Championship in their new, higher class? 

LCC fell three points short in 2014 losing to eventual 2A state champion, RCHS, 17-14 in semi-state that year.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

With New Pal likely headed for 6A due to success factor, will they try to schedule Warren, Ben Davis, or Carmel?  Beating Center Grove the last two years is super impressive, so will New Pal try to take another step up and play one of the Mega schools? 

Don't see it.

If New Pal wins this year which I believe they will, that’s 4 points.  They still have to win a regional in 2020 and with the turnover on the team it will certainly be hard to get past their sectional and certainly their regional.

I’d say most of the time that the top class is always the best, but I think Luers and Chatard have had teams in the past that could’ve won the 6A title.  New Pal, Valpo, Cathedral and Chatard all could have won the 6A title this year.  New Pal is probably best in state this year, though next year they’ll certainly see a drop off.  It’s extremely hard to reload at the smaller schools, eventually you rebuild whereas the mega schools almost always reload.

• Like 2

I say it every year.  Sometimes early season games are not  indicstive of post season maturity. My examples were from bhss losing to martinsville week 2 in 2013 and 2018 by a large margin. Come playoff time bhss knocked martinsville out each season. Coach moriarity and coach moore say it all the time. We want to play out best football come playoff time.  Not sure why very few people will allow the thought process to enter their minds that centergrove losing to new pal early in the season  could possibly be reversed come playoff time. I am not saying that the scenario of 2013 and 2018 bhss/martinsville is the same as new pal/center grove . I do believe that that scenario is even more likely with new pal/center grove given the strength of center grove schedule.  CG has 2500 students they face the likes of carmel ben davis Warren pike and  basically the biggest schools in Indiana as well as cathedral during the regular season . Center grove I believe doesn't put a whole lot of stress on regular season schedule they are surviving it in my opinion so they can be healthy and prepared for the playoffs.  Too many things that I personally am not familiar with to say  whether or not new pal would win 6a.  I would have to say they would not in my opinion. I think they possibly could win  a few games along the way but when your up against those big schools for a whole tourney run I just think new pal would get worn down and injured   . Depth would be their demise. But I do think they would be close to winning it all in 6a this year , again I'm not familiar with all the factors at play.  Virtually do not know anything about new pal except their coaches name and a couple players names.  Obviously a great team tho.

35 minutes ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

If New Pal wins this year which I believe they will, that’s 4 points.  They still have to win a regional in 2020 and with the turnover on the team it will certainly be hard to get past their sectional and certainly their regional.

I’d say most of the time that the top class is always the best, but I think Luers and Chatard have had teams in the past that could’ve won the 6A title.  New Pal, Valpo, Cathedral and Chatard all could have won the 6A title this year.  New Pal is probably best in state this year, though next year they’ll certainly see a drop off.  It’s extremely hard to reload at the smaller schools, eventually you rebuild whereas the mega schools almost always reload.

They lost Neligh a couple of years back (sorry the years start blending together as I get older) and folks predicted they would take a step back and they have only gotten better.  Starting to think this may be a well-oiled machine that is here to stay.

11 minutes ago, Temptation said:

They lost Neligh a couple of years back (sorry the years start blending together as I get older) and folks predicted they would take a step back and they have only gotten better.  Starting to think this may be a well-oiled machine that is here to stay.

I agree with you to an extent

10 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Agreed.  I also thought (didn’t say it out loud) there would be a step back when Neligh and company moved on.

I know everybody talks about Jimmies and Joes but COACHING absolutely got the ball rolling at New Pal.  

Center Grove has done it on a consistent basis.  

No reason New Pal can’t sustain it as well.

21 minutes ago, Temptation said:

I'll agree but that doesn't necessarily mean legit title contenders every year.  See 2016.  Good team but not really a threat to make a deep run.

1 hour ago, BTF said:

I had to do a double take when I read this. But after further review, you may have a valid argument. I'm thinking 2010 & 2011.

2019.......................I'm going with New Pal, but not by a wide margin.

c

Yeah, I'm thinking the 2011 team, ran through the SAC pretty easily, Only Snider and Dwenger were able to get within 10 points of them (actually beat each by 11). Ran through post season and whipped up a good Evansville Mater Dei 

27 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Agreed.  I also thought (didn’t say it out loud) there would be a step back when Neligh and company moved on.

I know everybody talks about Jimmies and Joes but COACHING absolutely got the ball rolling at New Pal.  

Center Grove has done it on a consistent basis.  

No reason New Pal can’t sustain it as well.

Now, asking them to sustain it at a 5A/6A level for a long period of time may be a tall order but they are here to stay at the 4A level (if they ever get back there) for the foreseeable future in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Now, asking them to sustain it at a 5A/6A level for a long period of time may be a tall order but they are here to stay at the 4A level (if they ever get back there) for the foreseeable future in my opinion.

If they get to 6A it will be harder to sustain given the Sectional they are likely to be in plus they likely won’t have all the D1 talent Cathedral did (per their “doing more with less” mantra) to support them in their 6A stay.

Since all you need to do is win a Sectional yearly these days to stay up (2 points), it’s hard for me to believe they would ever go back down to 4A given their current 5A Sectional configuration.

2 hours ago, Knightmare said:

With New Pal likely headed for 6A due to success factor, will they try to schedule Warren, Ben Davis, or Carmel?  Beating Center Grove the last two years is super impressive, so will New Pal try to take another step up and play one of the Mega schools? 

I would say it's a toss-up whether New Pal earns 6 points in 2019 & 2020 to move up to 6A after the 2020 season. Even though they beat Cathedral & are favored to win the state title, Dwenger or Valpo will give them a battle. Don't forget-- Valpo has always been in 6A & would have remained in 6A if the IHSAA didn't make the change to 2 SF points.

Interesting sidenote: Valpo is the largest school in 5A football (2054 students) & just destroyed Mishawaka 49-0 (1477--just moved up from 4A with enrollment increase). In the Semi State, they take on FW Dwenger (1015-- bottom half of 4A enrollment but bumped up this year due to Success Factor). If Valpo makes it to LOS, the likely opponent will be New Pal (1175-- middle of 4A enrollment).

Even if New Pal takes home the state title (4 points) this year, they would need to win Regional (2 points) next season which goes thru Cathedral again.

6 hours ago, psaboy said:

I'll go one better. The FW Luers teams in the late 2000's & early 2010's led by Jaylon Smith would have been a hand full in 5A (That was top class back then). 

2011 team would have been the team to do so. Knapke slinging the ball and jaylon running the ball and playing d was a scary combination. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, southend said:

Can a 4a enrollment school ever win the championship 6a game? 

Chatard could have made an argument in 3A in the early 2000s. Roncalli as 3A in 1999 and I believe 1992...don't quote me on the latter year. The Werner days at EC/Roncalli in 2004?

In 2002 Chatard beat Heritage Hills who beat 4A champion Jasper. Only five classes then. 2007 McIntosh at Reitz probably would put up points in 6A, not sure about the defense though. I was at that CE game -- best HS football game I've ever seen. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Chatard could have made an argument in 3A in the early 2000s. Roncalli as 3A in 1999 and I believe 1992...don't quote me on the latter year. The Werner days at EC/Roncalli in 2004?

In 2002 Chatard beat Heritage Hills who beat 4A champion Jasper. Only five classes then. 2007 McIntosh at Reitz probably would put up points in 6A, not sure about the defense though. I was at that CE game -- best HS football game I've ever seen. 

I think EC/Roncalli was 03.... 04 was Roncalli/CE where Roncalli won a barn burner. I’ll never forget the 65 yard TD run called back by Stevie Brown.