Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Scores and Updates - Week 14 - Semistate Championships

26 minutes ago, Temptation said:

It’s like the late 80’s World Wrestling Federation.  Every week the “new #1 contender” for the title is put on a pedestal.

It really is okay that I’m picking New Pal comfortably.  There’s no need to get offended.  I promise.

It seems you are the one offended if anyone picks a team to be within 55 points of New Pal. They are good yes, I think them and Carmel are the 2 best teams in the state. 

42 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

Agree.  Valpo's defense is good but no one has been able to tackle Spegal for 4 quarters.  And having watched the 2nd half of Valpo v Dwenger, Valpo isn't near as good as Cathedral on offense or defense. 

I think New Pal wins the game next week. I think the true best teams in the state are New Pal and Carmel right now. I don’t agree with cathedral being clearly better or even better in general than Valpo though. 

13 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

Nice to c the knights start a lil better than expected..... gonna b big u- dogs next week.......

Will at least be back to full strength.  Will be an interesting feeling going in as underdogs this millennium. 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

It would shock me. It would take a defense like Dwenger or Carmel to take down New Pal. At the end of the day, New Pal is probably worthy of their national ranking. Kudos to their program. 

Didn’t Valpo just defeat Dwenger and hold them to 7 points?  

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

It’s like the late 80’s World Wrestling Federation.  Every week the “new #1 contender” for the title is put on a pedestal.

It really is okay that I’m picking New Pal comfortably.  There’s no need to get offended.  I promise.

New Palestine is like 1980s Hulk Hogan and their opponents are like the revolving door of Heenan Family members that The Brain would throw out each time the previous guy would lose. Big John Studd? Loses. Paul Orndorff? Loses. King Kong Bundy? Loses. Harley Race? Loses. Hercules? Loses. Andre the Giant? Loses.

I actually thought the Valpo - Dwenger game, although characterized by great effort on the part of both teams, was pretty sloppy. Untimely penalties by both teams. Numerous trips into the red zone without scoring by both. Turnovers, etc. Either one of these teams would be cannon fodder for New Pal.

And, for what it’s worth, the officiating crew had a very, very good game. Their first semistate, and I was very impressed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I actually thought the Valpo - Dwenger game, although characterized by great effort on the part of both teams, was pretty sloppy. Untimely penalties by both teams. Numerous trips into the red zone without scoring by both. Turnovers, etc. Either one of these teams would be cannon fodder for New Pal.

And, for what it’s worth, the officiating crew had a very, very good game. Their first semistate, and I was very impressed.

You see the best teams in the world do things like this though. I would chalk it up to 2 teams not wanting to go home a week early. Everyone has their opinions though. No qualms with the officiating. 

Just now, FWfootball10 said:

You see the best teams in the world do things like this though. I would chalk it up to 2 teams not wanting to go home a week early. Everyone has their opinions though. No qualms with the officiating. 

I agree that the effort by both teams was terrific. Execution, not so much. But a great atmosphere for football. I have always felt that the semistates are the best in HS football.

• Like 1

Eastbrook played a great game. Tough team. But, man, it seemed like a couple really close calls went their way last night that were huge. 

Early on there was a fumble returned for a touchdown that could have been called an incomplete pass I thought. It was very close. 

And then Andrean finally got it to 6 points after a long drive and about 3 minutes to go in the game and executed what I thought was a perfect onside kick. But it was called for illegal touching. Obviously hard to call but I tried to capture the moment as closely as I could where the Andrean player touched the ball. His right hand and the Eastbrook player’s left hand are basically touching at the same time the ball meets them. Again, super hard to tell, but it looks like they are past the 50. If that is Andrean ball, they have a real shot at pulling off that comeback. 

Nevertheless, they shot themselves in the foot multiple times and Eastbrook prevailed. 

DB5C0911-F789-4CEE-BEFE-AB719241152D.jpeg

8 hours ago, FWfootball10 said:

I think New Pal wins the game next week. I think the true best teams in the state are New Pal and Carmel right now. I don’t agree with cathedral being clearly better or even better in general than Valpo though. 

On the outside if those two teams is Indy Chatard. Watched bits of last nights game and last weeks game, they look really good. 

9 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

Didn’t Valpo just defeat Dwenger and hold them to 7 points?  

Yes. Valpo became the 5th team this year to hold Dwenger to 15 points or less. It was Dwenger's defense that has carried them the last couple years. Valpo holding Dwenger to 7 points isn't much different than what a few other teams did this year. Dwenger holding Valpo to 10 is pretty impressive considering 29 was their lowest scoring total prior to last night. 

I still have New Pal as a 14 pt favorite over a very good Valpo team. But they won't hold Valpo to 10 points like Dwenger did. I maintain that Dwenger might have the best defense in the state.