Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

5A: Valparaiso (13-0) vs New Palestine (13-0)

5A: Valparaiso (13-0) vs New Palestine (13-0)  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got?

• Valparaiso
    • New Palestine

9 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

The Culture that Coach Ralph has created December thru July is what sets them apart right now.   

The In season, game day lifts also a reason they can run all those 2 way players without concern of wear and tear. 

Its so impressive, but its just not Football program, as @crimsonace1 can attest, the work ethic of the gals of New Pal are also best in state, espeically Softball team 

Coach Ralph oversees the softball team's weight training and has been recognized with some bling from their championships, too. 

The football program's weight room culture is insane. Probably my favorite story from this entire run was the day after they won the state title in 2014, the guys were lined up at the weight room door ready to lift. Coach had to tell them to go home, relax and take a few days off. This group is a really special one. Their work ethic is unbelievable. Combine that with a talented group coming through, and you have a 4A team capable of competing for 5A state championships. 

This should be a good matchup. IMO, the score predictions are a bit high. These two teams have incredible defenses. It should be a closely-matched, low-scoring game. 

• Like 1

Against Dwenger, Valpo had an opening drive TD - at home - after waiting all day for Dwenger to arrive - and that was it. Dwenger muffed a punt return and gave Valpo field position for their field goal. If NP defense is same as Dwenger I don't see Valpo scoring enough to win, not to mention magically milking time off the clock in long, sustained drives that keep the game close. Valpo is good but NP is a nightmare. I wanted to say 35-0 New Pal but instead I'll say:

New Pal 31

Valpo 7

I see the posts about Valpo’s size on Offense and Defense up front. New Pal played Cathedral who was huge on the Offensive and Defensive lines. Cathedral was able to keep the ball away from New Pal in the first half limiting possessions. The 2nd half though New Pal did the opposite of wear down. They actually were clicking on all cylinders at the end of the 3rd and all of the 4th.

the accolades for New Pal’s Offense are tremendous. So much so the defense gets over shadowed. The defense is extremely good at creating turnovers and giving chances to the offense in the 2nd half. They are extremely disciplined along the O-line and on defense. They will get force the secondary to tackle Spegal and he will wear down those tacklers in the 2nd half and then yards will come in big chunks. New Pal’s team speed is excellent at nearly every position. 

Ill go with New Pal in this one. If I were betting I would bet their goal is to get a minimum of 3 turnovers and 30 carries for Spegal.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

I see the posts about Valpo’s size on Offense and Defense up front. New Pal played Cathedral who was huge on the Offensive and Defensive lines. Cathedral was able to keep the ball away from New Pal in the first half limiting possessions. The 2nd half though New Pal did the opposite of wear down. They actually were clicking on all cylinders at the end of the 3rd and all of the 4th.

the accolades for New Pal’s Offense are tremendous. So much so the defense gets over shadowed. The defense is extremely good at creating turnovers and giving chances to the offense in the 2nd half. They are extremely disciplined along the O-line and on defense. They will get force the secondary to tackle Spegal and he will wear down those tacklers in the 2nd half and then yards will come in big chunks. New Pal’s team speed is excellent at nearly every position. 

Ill go with New Pal in this one. If I were betting I would bet their goal is to get a minimum of 3 turnovers and 30 carries for Spegal.

Pretty much spot on here.  NP gets stronger as the game goes on, particularly Spegal.   @crimsonace1 has the stats I'm sure but Charlie's per carry average is best from carry 20 on as he and the o line just wear teams down.

• Like 1

Sagarin wise it looks like  Valpo is roughly one ratings point below cathedral. Cathedral had their chances vs new pal.  I picked new pal to win this on 38-13. More i think of it  i believe it may be closer but just not sure valpo can score.....   Maybe revise my score to 30-16 NP.  

16 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

well almost nobody.  Elkhart, Zionsville, and Carmel will make moves next season.

To The B1G?

Edited by Guest

On 11/23/2019 at 1:05 PM, DACNUT said:

Arguably the best athlete to ever play any sport in the DAC, that 01 team was awesome, unfortunately so was James Banks. No doubt he would have been a solid NFL WR, but that baseball money and longevity is hard to beat.

After hosting Carmel in Valpo's '75 3A State Champtionship win, they haven't caught many breaks in State Championship match ups.

1985 5A Title: Jeff George

2001 5A Title: James Banks

2019 5A Title: The New Pal juggernaut

I would be curious to see the career earnings of the WR's taken in the '07 draft vs. Jeff's. I believe he's pushing $200M with his recent contract. I could be way off, and I have looked at career earnings, but my guess is only Megatron could have touched that if he kept playing.

Edited by Boilernation

On 11/24/2019 at 1:41 AM, Bemfactor7 said:

Against Dwenger, Valpo had an opening drive TD - at home - after waiting all day for Dwenger to arrive - and that was it. Dwenger muffed a punt return and gave Valpo field position for their field goal. If NP defense is same as Dwenger I don't see Valpo scoring enough to win, not to mention magically milking time off the clock in long, sustained drives that keep the game close. Valpo is good but NP is a nightmare. I wanted to say 35-0 New Pal but instead I'll say:

New Pal 31

Valpo 7

Valpo did have 2 long TD runs called back by penalty.

40 minutes ago, BTF said:

Holding by the offensive line normally opens up big holes. There is a reason why it's a penalty. 

That’s fair if the penalty had any benefit on the play. I haven’t seen the replay, but those holds, if valid calls, could have had no impact on the play or directly benefitted Burbee’s long gains. 

Edited by Boilernation

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

That’s fair if the penalty had any benefit on the play. I haven’t seen the replay, but those holds, if valid calls, could have had no impact on the play or directly benefitted Burbee’s long gains. 

Not saying it did or didn't. I get upset too when my team scores a touchdown and it's called back for holding. But after watching the replay, it seems like 90% of the time the penalty is justified by the huge hole the player made by committing the penalty. 

Edited by BTF
Additional wording
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

8 minutes ago, BTF said:

Not saying it did or didn't. I get upset too when my team scores a touchdown and it's called back for holding. But after watching the replay, it seems like 90% of the time the penalty is justified by the huge hole the player made by committing the penalty. 

I discussed the holding calls in the postgame debrief of the crew. I can assure you, they are well aware of the proper components of a holding foul, including the fact that it has to have an impact on the outcome of the play.

10 hours ago, slice60 said:

Valpo did have 2 long TD runs called back by penalty.

Dwenger did under throw two long passes that were caught that if thrown in stride would have resulted in touchdowns. We can play the what if game all day.   

Having said that, at the end of the game, Valpo scored 3 more points.  The FG was because of poor punt return coverage by Dwenger. .  2 drives stalled because we could not go 90+ yards. The reason we had to 90+ multiple times was Valpo’s punter unbelievable.  The score had nothing to do with the penalties or lack there of   Very well called game  

I believe if the game is played 10 times, it is 5-5.  Congrats to Valpo.  

One thought about the New Pal and Valpo game ithe Valpo D will not wear down against New Pal.  The line on both sides is enormous and they seem to be in very good shape.        I also don’t believe  New Pal has as many skill players as Dwenger but the New Pal  line will give New Pal enough time to make short passing plays which will be turned into large gains.   The Valpo secondary is the Achilles heal of that Valpo D.  The line will also open up much larger holes for Spiegal than Dwengers line did for its backs    

I also think Maxen Hook can absolutely eat up the DBs from Valpo if they decide to throw to him.  He is 6 2 and whatever his weight is, he plays bigger.  He is plenty fast enough.  With that combo, he will be a pain for Valpo DBs to bring down.  This could allow for Spegal to start running down hill and score enough times to beat Valpo 28-7.   Having said that, .   What could also happen is Valpo moves the ball much like Cathedral did early on.  If Valpo actually converts a few firsts downs they will control the clock and  if that happens, I will say Valpo wins 28-21.  Valpo won’t fumble the Ball and after last week won’t be passing down field as much. 

My prediction officially will be  Valpo 28 New Pal 21