Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

5A: Valparaiso (13-0) vs New Palestine (13-0)

5A: Valparaiso (13-0) vs New Palestine (13-0)  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got?

• Valparaiso
    • New Palestine

Great game from 2 outstanding teams.  I honestly think Valpo panicked a little bit with their 1st 2 possessions after New Pal went up 17.  Definitely no quit in that team.  Absolutely crazy good on defense 

1 minute ago, Temptation said:

No moral victories but damn I walked away impressed with Valpo’s resiliency.

100%

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Now THAT was an interception.

Yes it was.  New Pal is fun to watch.  So was Valpo.  Valpo actually wore New Pal down as opposed to what was supposed to happen.   What a great game with 2 great teams.  I think Valpo proved the North was much better than everyone down south thought.   

Difference in the game was New Pal coming at you on every play, very smart team, experienced team and made two huge plays on D causing TO’s that led to scores. Plus Spegal making 1 big play.   

They are a Championship caliber team for sure.  Congrats to New Pal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

I was surprised so many people "doubted" valpo.

Great hs game.

I just think a lot of people were unfamiliar with Valpo. I knew from watching them play Dwenger they would give New Pal a game. They’re too talented, huge, and physical on D to get blown out by anybody in Indiana. I still believe if those teams played 10 times Valpo would win half. They don’t though. Credit to New Pal for blowing open the 3rd quarter and making the necessary plays to win the game. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OldschoolFB said:

Yes it was.  New Pal is fun to watch.  So was Valpo.  Valpo actually wore New Pal down as opposed to what was supposed to happen.   What a great game with 2 great teams.  I think Valpo proved the North was much better than everyone down south thought.   

Difference in the game was New Pal coming at you on every play, very smart team, experienced team and made two huge plays on D causing TO’s that led to scores. Plus Spegal making 1 big play.   

They are a Championship caliber team for sure.  Congrats to New Pal. 

Outside of the Indy mega schools at the 6a level, there's not much separation in the quality of football between Central Indiana and the North. 

Congrats to New Pal. Those kids fight hard and make plays.

Edited by BTF
Additional wording
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, FWfootball10 said:

I just think a lot of people were unfamiliar with Valpo. I knew from watching them play Dwenger they would give New Pal a game. They’re too talented, huge, and physical on D to get blown out by anybody in Indiana. I still believe if those teams played 10 times Valpo would win half. They don’t though. Credit to New Pal for blowing open the 3rd quarter and making the necessary plays to win the game. 

Very hard to run up the middle against Valpo as Spegal found out.  BUT New Pal went to speed option to get Big Charlie running downhill and they broke one.  Outside of that run, I think Spegal was held in check to around 4 yards per carry.   Of course, you can’t leave that out which is why he has run for 10000 plus in his career.  

New Pal’s Hook and the kid going to MSU and their LBs impressed me a lot.  

Valpo has most of their lineman on both sides that impressed me.  Obviously #11, Plus the other DE and #33.  Burbee is very good and Valpo WR proved to be better than they were in Semi State.  

I loved that game tonight. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BTF said:

I didn't like the personal foul facemask call. It looked incidental to me. Other than that, I think the officiating has done a fantastic job. 

Two great teams. One just making more plays. Congrats to New Pal. 

You were right earlier. This game did prove Dwenger definitely has one of the best D’s in the state along with Valpo New Pal Carmel and some others.

1 minute ago, FWfootball10 said:

You were right earlier. This game did prove Dwenger definitely has one of the best D’s in the state along with Valpo New Pal Carmel and some others.

Kolkman and Garrett are doing something right at Dwenger. Their defense sold me last year at state when the held Evansville Central to 0 pts through 4 quarters. That teams was averaging over 40 a game. It carried over into this season. Great coaching, plain and simple. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

I was surprised so many people "doubted" valpo.

Great hs game.

True, I was surprised at how well Valpo was able to throw it against a very solid, experienced secondary.   Some great WR and QB play.  Outstanding football game. 

• Like 1

Just now, dmizers3 said:

True, I was surprised at how well Valpo was able to throw it against a very solid, experienced secondary.   Some great WR and QB play.  Outstanding football game. 

That was the number 1 thing that surprised me as well.  I thought maybe a pass or 2 underneath, quick slants MAYBE 1 or 2  deep balls.  The Valpo  QB and WR s did a nice job today.  

Also have to factor in New Pal QB went out early but that’s the football and you have to adjust Which New Pal did. 

• Like 1

Man is Valpo’s front 7 on D tough as nails. I was excited to see if they could hang with New Pal’s O-Line and they definitely backed up their hype. Fighting to the end and only coming up short by 7 to New Pal is one helluva way for Valpo to go out. 

Does New Pal drink goats urine (Beerfest reference) when they’re backed into a corner? They have an uncanny ability to take back momentum and blow a game open  with big plays when the opponent is threatening. Spegal’s long TD run at the end of the 2nd quarter against Decatur Central in last years Finals comes to mind. They had multiple big plays in a short sequence to break open their game against Cathedral in the 2nd half. Tonight, Like Nowlin mentioned, Ralph went to the one running play that worked in the first half and Spegal took it to the house. After Valpo’s D held NP to a FG, NP breaks their back with another big play on the pick 6. 

That Hook kid from New Pal is a phenomenal DB. Great instincts against the pass and he can step up lay a hit on a ball carrier.  He could turn into a beast at Toledo. 

• Like 3

Very frustrating game to watch from a Valpo perspective.

Looks like the Vikes could use a lot of offseason 7 on 7 work.  

Valpo has athletes all over the place.  Why does the 6-5 QB over throw over half of his passes?  Why didn't they incorporate the big 6-5 TE into the offensive game plan?  Why didn't they throw short passes to their RB in the flats?  

How can a high school offensive line with 3 300 lb plus linemen not completely overrun a much smaller defensive line, even one as quick and athletic as New Pal?  The Valpo linemen are big, but they seemed a little soft.  They need some Nick Martin type Chatard attitude instilled in their big guys.

Valpo would be much more dangerous with some solid QB coaching and a more creative offensive game plan.  

Spegal looked slow on the 80 yard TD run.  Must be why he isn't getting much D1 attention.  I also noticed he looks uncomfortable in his gear.  Always shrugging his shoulders as if his pads don't fit well.  He looks wound up so tight in a ball out there.  Maybe some lighter gear will make him look a little faster.

9 minutes ago, BTF said:

Kolkman and Garrett are doing something right at Dwenger. Their defense sold me last year at state when the held Evansville Central to 0 pts through 4 quarters. That teams was averaging over 40 a game. It carried over into this season. Great coaching, plain and simple. 

Dwenger had the skill guys to do it, they adjusted too late to pass more and then went 4 vertical routes too often when they did.  The play BD  scored on was improvised according to the 2 kids interviewed after the game.  But man I as Valpo’s o and D line unbelievable 

1 minute ago, DT said:

Very frustrating game to watch from a Valpo perspective.

Looks like the Vikes could use a lot of offseason 7 on 7 work.  

Valpo has athletes all over the place.  Why does the 6-5 QB over throw over half of his passes?  Why didn't they incorporate the big 6-5 TE into the offensive game plan?  Why didn't they throw short passes to their RB in the flats?  

How can a high school offensive line with 3 300 lb plus linemen not completely overrun a much smaller defensive line, even one as quick and athletic as New Pal?  The Valpo linemen are big, but they seemed a little soft.  They need some Nick Martin type Chatard attitude instilled in their big guys.

Valpo would be much more dangerous with some solid QB coaching and a more creative offensive game plan.  

Spegal looked slow on the 80 yard TD run.  Must be why he isn't getting much D1 attention.  I also noticed he looks uncomfortable in his gear.  Always shrugging his shoulders as if his pads don't fit well.  He looks wound up so tight in a ball out there.  Maybe some lighter gear will make him look a little faster.

Lol I noticed the shrugging on every play as well. I mean it’s obvious his speed is why he isn’t getting more offers. He literally has everything else. I think his stats are a little bloated playing in New pals conference. Teams do play in worse conferences than new pal though. No matter what he does in college he is without a doubt one of the best high school running backs in Indiana history. Once again congrats Spegal and New Pal. 5a was loaded this year towards top and they come out on top of everyone. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OldschoolFB said:

That was the number 1 thing that surprised me as well.  I thought maybe a pass or 2 underneath, quick slants MAYBE 1 or 2  deep balls.  The Valpo  QB and WR s did a nice job today.  

Also have to factor in New Pal QB went out early but that’s the football and you have to adjust Which New Pal did. 

Valpo passing game was putrid.  They connected on a few but way to many over thrown passes and a game killing pick six.  No use of the TE.  

Opperman was 13-31-1.  41% completion rate.  Balls were flying all over the field.  

Edited by DT

1 minute ago, FWfootball10 said:

Lol I noticed the shrugging on every play as well. I mean it’s obvious his speed is why he isn’t getting more offers. He literally has everything else. I think his stats are a little bloated playing in New pals conference. Teams do play in worse conferences than new pal though. No matter what he does in college he is without a doubt one of the best high school running backs in Indiana history. Once again congrats Spegal and New Pal. 5a was loaded this year towards top and they come out on top of everyone. 

I think maybe he got too big, which may have affected his speed.  He would be just as strong and powerful at 215 as he is at 230, but probably a little quicker once he hits the secondary.

6 minutes ago, DT said:

Valpo passing game was putrid.  They connected on a few but way to many over thrown passes and a game killing pick six.  No use of the TE.  

Opperman was 13-31-1.  41% completion rate.  Balls were flying all over the field.  

Putrid is what Valpo passing game was against Dwenger.   Today, it was average, some great plays, some bad plays but ultimately enough to give his team a chance to win. 

2 minutes ago, OldschoolFB said:

Putrid is what Valpo passing game was against Dwenger.   Today, it was average, some great plays, some bad plays but ultimately enough to give his team a chance to win. 

Opperman is a great athlete and he throws a beautiful ball, he just has no touch.   

1 minute ago, CaptainHook said:

What a game! I’ll be back later. Dragons put in speed option for Roudebush this week. Ended up being HUGE! Ralph is a genius!

Congratulations!!

My analysis one point come to fruition. Valpo had numerous opportunities to do what Michigan City, Cathedral couldn’t, get up on New Pal and let their larger DL and OL take control. Instead, New Pal on the possessions immediately following the other teams not taking advantage give the other teams a one two three punch. In this case Valpo a one two. Great game and awesome to see three future D1 players in Hook, King, and Jones play great and impactful games. For those of us in the DAC, we also know Jones younger and more athletic brother who is a 6-6 freshman will be with him next year in the DLine. 

Now we will get a chance up north to spend the next several months hyping up our kids and communities, to get the opportunity to help a team north of the Indy area win a title in 5 or 6A. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

What a game! I’ll be back later. Dragons put in speed option for Roudebush this week. Ended up being HUGE! Ralph is a genius!

Yes I'm sure Ralph envisioned his starting QB getting hurt and a guy who had thrown 1 pass all year playing 3 quarters at QB to win a state championship.  Just shows you how much poise Roudebush has to go in there and still run the offense and not "look" like a typical high school backup QB.  Many teams would have been done against a high quality team like Valpo and New Pal was not.

Valpo screwed up with all of the dumb direct snaps to their RB's.  Cost them big-time at the end of the 1st half, when they had a chance to go into half with the lead.  That and their passing game just looked like the QB was going to keep throwing it long and hoping for something good to happen.  New Pal looked very vulnerable trying to cover receivers and RB's in the flat and on crossing routes.  Then again, the QB lacked accuracy to make those throws a few times they tried them.  

Valpo had stretches of that game where they looked like the better team.  Just too long a drought in the 3rd quarter to beat a team like New Pal, who always makes teams pay for mistakes.