Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

5A: Valparaiso (13-0) vs New Palestine (13-0)

5A: Valparaiso (13-0) vs New Palestine (13-0)  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got?

• Valparaiso
    • New Palestine

Two excellent football teams. I was very impressed with Valpo defense and surprised by their offense. Living in the Region, Ive heard about their D and the size and physicality but I had never had the chance to see them. Once agin, very impressed. For New Pal, Spegal is a load but didn't wow me, probably because of the defense he was facing. Great career. I actually was more impressed with #54.  He's a an outstanding football player.  He matched Vapo's physicality every play and went both ways. He is definitely a D1 player.

Agree with earlier poster, I think Valpo panicked after pick 6 on their next two possessions. TV announcers kept talking up NP secondary not sure why. They kept getting beat by and average Valpo passing attack.

Congrats to NP and Valpo.  Great teams and great seasons!

39 minutes ago, DT said:

Charlie looked a little worn down last night.  Perhaps the 300 plus carries has worn him down physically.

I think that he might be mentally worn down as well.  Im sure he is ready for a break.  

I believe CG is the most talented team in the state, and you will probably see them go on a run of 2 or 3 consecutive state championships.  They are playing now at peak effectiveness and fully healthy.  

Give us a week.  We'll play them again.  And win again.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

Give us a week.  We'll play them again.  And win again.

The way Carmel and CG are playing right now? If I was a bookie, I'd have NP as a 1-3 point favorite. They certainly aren't the best team "by far" like someone else suggested. 

But giving credit where credit is due...............they did whip CG (early in the season). They did whip Cathedral. And they did beat a very good Valpo team. New Pal has earned the right to claim "best team in the state." We can sit here and say that CG and Carmel would give NP a game and even possibly beat them. But at the end of the day, not only does NP pass the eye test, they proved it on the filed. So congrats to them. Best team in Indiana 2019. 

53 minutes ago, DT said:

Charlie looked a little worn down last night.  Perhaps the 300 plus carries has worn him down physically.

I think that he might be mentally worn down as well.  Im sure he is ready for a break.  

Translation....I will continue throw uninformed inane comments in an effort to emulate my hero....Skip Bayless

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DACNUT said:

I noted in one of my post about Valpos passing game, and Opperman, looks good, always has a clean pocket, but as we saw last night, inaccurate. In terms of 7 on 7, they all do it, but when you are whipping teams the way they have the past couple of years, he never really needed to pass the ball. With those unneeded Hail Mary passes, there was just a lack of imagination on the routes and in featuring their best athlete, Osario. He had a lot of targets, but heck he should have got more as he was the one clear mismatch on the field last night. However, New Pals secondary had a lot to do with them struggling with passing as he had a crazy amount of time to pass and kids were not getting wide open. 

Couple of post have mentioned New Pals size and that is for sure what makes this more amazing as Valpo at least for this year was pushed down somehow, still haven’t figured it out, to 5A, after going to semi-state in 6A and being larger than two other schools that are playing up, success factor math. 

I also agree with everyone that the winner of this game, New Pal is by far the best team in the state. I have no doubt they have the toughness, physical strength, and enough athleticism to beat Carmel. The one difference I also saw last night that I’ve seen in. New Pal the last two years is how they just get those turnovers. Tremendous offensive line play, just a pleasure to watch.

I’ll admit Valpo impressed me. The 2 best teams played in 5A and we can say that because they both made it there.

i agree with your statement about turnovers. I mentioned in an earlier thread that Coach Ralph mentioned their goal is 3 turnovers from the defense. They find ways to get turnovers and are well coached.

@DT New Pal has beaten Center Grove decisively with Steele and without Steele. Not just a little but decisively. New Pal has been the better team hands down

NP is 14-0 with a three-touchdown *road* win over Center Grove, a 6A finalist. If CG wins tonight, you can pretty well say NP is the undisputed top team in the state. 

NP is currently #1 in MaxPreps and will be top 40 nationally at season's end
It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out in Sagarin (right now, it's Avon-Carmel-NP, but if CG wins, combined with the ratings bump NP will get for beating top-10 Valpo, there's a good chance NP will also be #1 in Sagarin if CG wins tonight) 

1 hour ago, crimsonace1 said:

"A little worn down" - had 160 yards and the go-ahead score against one of the state's best defenses (if not the best). He also had two big first-down runs to seal the game when everybody in the stadium knew he was getting the rock. I've watched nearly all of Charlie's games the last couple of years. He looked anything but "worn down." Valpo is really, really, really good up front and he had to work for every yard. 

But consider the source ... 

The kid looks worn out.  Didnt see him smile once all night.  With the exception of the long run and the garbage time pickup yards, Valpo D held him in check.  

Ralph will be determined to prove he can win a big school state title without Charlie.  Next year should be interesting.

42 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

I’ll admit Valpo impressed me. The 2 best teams played in 5A and we can say that because they both made it there.

i agree with your statement about turnovers. I mentioned in an earlier thread that Coach Ralph mentioned their goal is 3 turnovers from the defense. They find ways to get turnovers and are well coached.

@DT New Pal has beaten Center Grove decisively with Steele and without Steele. Not just a little but decisively. New Pal has been the better team hands down

Perhaps we are in a down cycle.  New Pal is a solid team.  But they didnt look like the top tier 6A state champs we are used to seeing at LOS

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=IN

Talent overall is down.  Highest rated player on the field was *** Kyle King.   Valpo has no players in Indiana Top 50 Prospects.

With regards to CG, this is probably the youngest team they have ever brought to LOS.  There might be 3 or 4 future **** prospects on the Trojan roster.  I believe they would take out NP in a rematch with room to spare.  These kids have grown up after playing Warren an Ben Davis twice this year as well as games against Carmel and Cathedral.  

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Perhaps we are in a down cycle.  New Pal is a solid team.  But they didnt look like the top tier 6A state champs we are used to seeing at LOS

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=IN

Talent overall is down.  Highest rated player on the field was *** Kyle King.   Valpo has no players in Indiana Top 50 Prospects.

With regards to CG, this is probably the youngest team they have ever brought to LOS.  There might be 3 or 4 future **** prospects on the Trojan roster.  I believe they would take out NP in a rematch with room to spare.  These kids have grown up after playing Warren an Ben Davis twice this year as well as games against Carmel and Cathedral.  

Agree on all points Save for the “room to spare.”

12 minutes ago, DT said:

thankfully, what you think doesn't matter.  I'll take the actual results.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, DT said:

Because CG is the only team that has improved all year I guess.  I'll have to agree with @CaptainHook the results on the field speak for themselves.  Much more meaningless conjecture. 

Valpo was the real deal. Looked like and played like a 6a power. Great game with great programs and a pleasure to be a part of. Back to back is such a great feeling.

On a side note, pretty sure we could beat the Colts and people will still find a way to say someone else is a better team in Indiana. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Coach Harvey said:

Valpo was the real deal. Looked like and played like a 6a power. Great game with great programs and a pleasure to be a part of. Back to back is such a great feeling.

On a side note, pretty sure we could beat the Colts and people will still find a way to say someone else is a better team in Indiana. 

I’ve realized unless they are part of the inner circle (family, friends, part of the team, ex-alum) you shouldn’t give a damn what they think. Being nice doesn’t get people over the top majority of the time, going out and taking it from someone either with hard work, or overcoming adversity define you/program. 

Congrats on another state title.

4 hours ago, DT said:

The upcoming sophomore class might be Center Groves best ever.  Loaded

So what?  You are predicting 4 stars for sophs now?  New Pal won.  At their place.  By three scores.  CG got better?  So did NP.

3 hours ago, Donnie Baker said:

Charlie didn’t smile he must be tired. Where do you come up with this?

so stupid!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

So what?  You are predicting 4 stars for sophs now?  New Pal won.  At their place.  By three scores.  CG got better?  So did NP.

so stupid!

As I said, the sophomore class might be the best ever to come thru CG.  that would indicate there are several D1 players in this group.  Watch tonight for yourself.