Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

5A: Valparaiso (13-0) vs New Palestine (13-0)

5A: Valparaiso (13-0) vs New Palestine (13-0)  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got?

• Valparaiso
    • New Palestine

2 hours ago, DT said:

I do believe CG wins the rematch.  NP is gassed.  CG is fresh and growing.  Eric Moore never loses in season rematch games when he has lost the first game.   

NP is "gassed." 14-0 and just beat an outstanding team that was 13-0 to win the state title *without its starting QB* after beating Cathedral 35-10, after mercy-ruling the No. 8 team in 5A, but "gassed." 

I've watched almost every NP game for the last decade. They're not gassed. 

When you're wrong, and you're constantly proven to be wrong, you just need to stop talking instead of trying to talk in circles to prove to everyone how "right" you are. 

All we have to go by are on-the-field results. NP beat CG 28-9 AT Center Grove, and did so by dominating up front (where CG has a tremendous DL) in the second half. ... which came one year after NP won 31-9 over a different CG team, but one with Carson Steele. We're not discussing a hypothetical game that will never happen, we're discussing the game that was played. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Coach Hanson said:

Do not get me wrong, I do respect talent. However, I also respect investment and dedication, and right now New Pal can not be beat when it comes to dedication. I look forward to seeing what happens next year, but right now New Pal has the throne and has a lot of pressure for next year because they are losing 6-7 key players that I am not sure if they can be replaced.

We'll worry about next year, well, next week. It will be a bit of a rebuilding year for the Dragons, as CaptainHook pointed out, a lot of key players graduate. But they do return 3 starting OL (and 1 other who started a few games), Roth, Blake Austin (who had a TD yesterday and was the second-leading receiver to Hook) and 2/3 of the LB corps. Virtually everyone else graduates. Some talent in the pipeline - the JV was 7-1 this year and the froshies 6-2. And there are about 1,000 homes either under construction or approved in the New Pal district, so there's going to be some significant growth, which will likely bolster numbers at all grades. 

But for now, we'll revel in this one. 28 straight wins, back-to-back state titles in a class above NP's enrollment, done with several players playing both ways. It's really extraordinary what this program has been able to do. A mid-sized 4A public school playing for three 5A state titles in a five-year span - and winning two - is beyond description. We're going to revel in this and enjoy it. It's a historic run, led by an outstanding group of coaches and young men. This team has a high GPA, a high commitment level, they're involved in the community, they're great athletes. They're a group of guys who are going to be successful long beyond high school ... and that's a big reason why they've been successful in high school. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

NP is "gassed." 14-0 and just beat an outstanding team that was 13-0 to win the state title *without its starting QB* after beating Cathedral 35-10, after mercy-ruling the No. 8 team in 5A, but "gassed." 

I've watched almost every NP game for the last decade. They're not gassed. 

When you're wrong, and you're constantly proven to be wrong, you just need to stop talking instead of trying to talk in circles to prove to everyone how "right" you are. 

All we have to go by are on-the-field results. NP beat CG 28-9 AT Center Grove, and did so by dominating up front (where CG has a tremendous DL) in the second half. ... which came one year after NP won 31-9 over a different CG team, but one with Carson Steele. We're not discussing a hypothetical game that will never happen, we're discussing the game that was played. 

Are you the SID for NP athletics?

I have an opinion, and it's my opinion that CG wins a rematch over NP

I also happen to believe that after watching the game last night, NP looks gassed and Charlie looks worn out, both physically and mentally.  

Those are my observations.   Not yours.   You are entitled to yours and are always encouraged to engage in debate.   But let's not confuse facts with opinion.    

4 minutes ago, DT said:

I also happen to believe that after watching the game last night, NP looks gassed and Charlie looks worn out, both physically and mentally.  

Those are my observations.   Not yours.   You are entitled to yours and are always encouraged to engage in debate.   But let's not confuse facts with opinion.    

but you don't have any facts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

but you don't have any facts?

I use all available facts to formulate an opinion.

Im sure you do just the same in your everyday life to make decisions.

55 minutes ago, DT said:

Opinions can be wrong and being on the field in the midst of team, I can tell you first hand your observations and opinions are wrong. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but just because you have it, doesn't make it valid 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DT said:

I use all available facts to formulate an opinion.

Saying someone looks slow on an 80 yard touchdown run in the state finals is an opinion based on the selfish need to troll and bring attention to yourself.  It is clearly working.....acting the fool is a phase most youngsters grow out of.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DT said:

Perhaps we are in a down cycle.  New Pal is a solid team.  But they didnt look like the top tier 6A state champs we are used to seeing at LOS

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=IN

Talent overall is down.  Highest rated player on the field was *** Kyle King.   Valpo has no players in Indiana Top 50 Prospects.

With regards to CG, this is probably the youngest team they have ever brought to LOS.  There might be 3 or 4 future **** prospects on the Trojan roster.  I believe they would take out NP in a rematch with room to spare.  These kids have grown up after playing Warren an Ben Davis twice this year as well as games against Carmel and Cathedral.  

Just my personal observation. valpo is a better team than Carmel and New Pal is still a better team than CG. After 1 half of the eyeball test.

1 minute ago, FastpacedO said:

Just my personal observation. valpo is a better team than Carmel and New Pal is still a better team than CG. After 1 half of the eyeball test.

The lack of a passing game is a critical hole in Valpos offensive scheme.   

Carmel looks very stout.  One of the bigger and tougher Carmel teams I have seen.  75 is a beast.  

9 hours ago, DT said:

Perhaps we are in a down cycle.  New Pal is a solid team.  But they didnt look like the top tier 6A state champs we are used to seeing at LOS

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=IN

Talent overall is down.  Highest rated player on the field was *** Kyle King.   Valpo has no players in Indiana Top 50 Prospects.

With regards to CG, this is probably the youngest team they have ever brought to LOS.  There might be 3 or 4 future **** prospects on the Trojan roster.  I believe they would take out NP in a rematch with room to spare.  These kids have grown up after playing Warren an Ben Davis twice this year as well as games against Carmel and Cathedral.  

1 minute ago, FastpacedO said:

I think you should use the other 1 1/2 eyeballs, then get back to us.

I said 13 -3 and the best game of the weekend. Got laughed at. 27-20 . At the beginning of the week we should have told valpo to just stay home  cause the dragons were unbeatable. If not for a bad choice by the QB on one throw. The game is different.  Great game by two great teams. New pal is a great program that is basically a suburb of Indy and they have benefited of people that move to be away from the city and are still close enough to be away from the everyday hassle of city life. We are a 4a program the  voices have cried . Give me a break.  That will change when people move into your community. HSE, fishers were there also and look we’re their at. Some how Charlie spegal was at another school his freshman year and ended up at NP. Would be a whole different story if he was not there for 3 years.  Enjoy your time on top cause it will come to a end at some point!

Now that my rant is over, #20 for new pal is one hell of a football player. Seen him over the last couple years and he is special. #54 is good but the valpo line held  him in check. If the QB for new pal plays the whole game they win by 20. Valpo had the perfect opportunity to upset them and fell short cause the lack of ability at QB.  

Great game.  

Love the region

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Boilerup said:

I said 13 -3 and the best game of the weekend. Got laughed at. 27-20 . At the beginning of the week we should have told valpo to just stay home  cause the dragons were unbeatable. If not for a bad choice by the QB on one throw. The game is different.  Great game by two great teams. New pal is a great program that is basically a suburb of Indy and they have benefited of people that move to be away from the city and are still close enough to be away from the everyday hassle of city life. We are a 4a program the  voices have cried . Give me a break.  That will change when people move into your community. HSE, fishers were there also and look we’re their at. Some how Charlie spegal was at another school his freshman year and ended up at NP. Would be a whole different story if he was not there for 3 years.  Enjoy your time on top cause it will come to a end at some point!

Now that my rant is over, #20 for new pal is one hell of a football player. Seen him over the last couple years and he is special. #54 is good but the valpo line held  him in check. If the QB for new pal plays the whole game they win by 20. Valpo had the perfect opportunity to upset them and fell short cause the lack of ability at QB.  

Great game.  

Love the region

It was a great game.  I just laugh at the lengths some of these posters go to...

I have far more pressing issues.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

It was a great game.  I just laugh at the lengths some of these posters go to...

I have far more pressing issues.

Yet you’re here after 10pm on a Saturday night, lol.  🙄

9 hours ago, DT said:

I do believe CG wins the rematch.  NP is gassed.  CG is fresh and growing.  Eric Moore never loses in season rematch games when he has lost the first game.   

Wanna know who looked gassed tonight?  Center Grove.  I will say this, as the sophomores go, Curry is a stud.  I've seen him live twice now, that kid can play.  Jackson was impressive when they went spread.  Seems to be a waste in the wing T if you are never gonna run a waggle now and then.  He's a spread QB.  Might be time to go with it.  The rest of the sophs have some work to do to get 4 star status.

Edited by CaptainHook

5 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

Wanna know who looked gassed tonight?  Center Grove.  I will say this, as the sophomores go, Curry is a stud.  I've seen him live twice now, that kid can play.  Jackson was impressive when they went spread.  Seems to be a waste in the wing T if you are never gonna run a waggle now and then.  He's a spread QB.  Might be time to go with it.  The rest of the sophs have some work to do to get 4 star status.

The “grind” of the MIC and the southern tournament path...😆

On 11/30/2019 at 1:43 PM, CaptainHook said:

So what?  You are predicting 4 stars for sophs now?  New Pal won.  At their place.  By three scores.  CG got better?  So did NP.

so stupid!

Just read a few of these.  New Pal beat CG soundly at CG. New Pal beat Cathedral at Cathedral(I think), soundly.   Cathedral beat Trinity soundly.  Trinity smoked Carmel. Carmel only beat CG by 3.   New Pal is better than all of them.   So is Valpo and I’m starting to think so is Dwenger.  5A was better than 6A this year.   It happens.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OldschoolFB said:

Just read a few of these.  New Pal beat CG soundly at CG. New Pal beat Cathedral at Cathedral(I think), soundly.   Cathedral beat Trinity soundly.  Trinity smoked Carmel. Carmel only beat CG by 3.   New Pal is better than all of them.   So is Valpo and I’m starting to think so is Dwenger.  5A was better than 6A this year.   It happens.  

Not sure I can disagree and though the transitive property is far from an exact science, it’s the best thing we have as we will not get the opportunity to settle this debate on the field.

The only thing giving me pause in declaring New Pal the best beyond the shadow of a reasonable doubt is that I believe WHEN games are played sometimes supersedes things.  Surely New Pal, Carmel and CG are different now than they were in September.  That is common sense.

This is also the case at the next level.  The CFP rankings are going to be released tomorrow night and Penn State will be ranked ahead of Minnesota, Notre Dame ahead of Michigan, etc...

Sure there are other examples I could point to but I watched those four teams play head to head last month and know what I saw...

Its maddening really.

Edited by Guest

On 11/30/2019 at 9:18 PM, gonzoron said:

I think you should use the other 1 1/2 eyeballs, then get back to us.

Getting back to you and I still am of the same opinion. I will explain why also. 

Carmel had 212 yards rushing and Valparaiso's defense is very stout against the run. They did a marvelous job against New Pal's rushing attack, but they had a break down on a couple of plays that led to Spegal touchdowns (Spegal has done that all year and had more of them against other opponents). A game between Carmel and Valpo would definitely be a defensive battle, however where Valpo stood out to me was in Special Teams their punting was tremendous. They can pin a team deep play good defense and get very good field position. Do I know for a fact? Nope just my own opinion.

As for New Pal and Center Grove. I have already explained that. New Palestine has beaten Center Grove 31-9 last year with Steele and this year at Center Grove 28-9. Yes it was week 2. However Center Grove and New Pal have a common opponent at the end of the year. Week 9 had Cathedral defeating CG 14-9 in a tight game and week 13 had New Pal defeating Cathedral 35-10. Yes Center Grove improved so did New Palestine. I think you would have the same result.

As for a potential Carmel vs New Pal. Carmel's defense I would say is on par with Valpo. New Pal still managed a 27-20 victory against a very stout defense. Carmel had its own Offensive struggles with Center Grove's defense, and I think New Pal's defense gets largely overlooked because of the rushing records etc of Spegal. Their defense was the real deal. I will also say that New Pal became very 1 dimensional after their QB went down which I doubt anyone would expect for that to happen. They still overcame adversity and held on to win 27-20.