Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

5A: Valparaiso (13-0) vs New Palestine (13-0)

5A: Valparaiso (13-0) vs New Palestine (13-0)  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got?

• Valparaiso
    • New Palestine

On 11/30/2019 at 9:35 PM, Boilerup said:

I said 13 -3 and the best game of the weekend. Got laughed at. 27-20 . At the beginning of the week we should have told valpo to just stay home  cause the dragons were unbeatable. If not for a bad choice by the QB on one throw. The game is different.  Great game by two great teams. New pal is a great program that is basically a suburb of Indy and they have benefited of people that move to be away from the city and are still close enough to be away from the everyday hassle of city life. We are a 4a program the  voices have cried . Give me a break.  That will change when people move into your community. HSE, fishers were there also and look we’re their at. Some how Charlie spegal was at another school his freshman year and ended up at NP. Would be a whole different story if he was not there for 3 years.  Enjoy your time on top cause it will come to a end at some point!

Now that my rant is over, #20 for new pal is one hell of a football player. Seen him over the last couple years and he is special. #54 is good but the valpo line held  him in check. If the QB for new pal plays the whole game they win by 20. Valpo had the perfect opportunity to upset them and fell short cause the lack of ability at QB.  

Great game.  

Love the region

#54 is better than good and he was doing his job against that big O line , they in no way held him in "check" lol watch the game again . Swatted down pass and 2 sacks??? O and lets not forget he did this playing both sides of the ball and not coming off the field. Guarantee the big o boys from Valpo couldn't play both ways for one quarter. I do agree with you on if starting quarter back playing all game score would have been different. Win is a Win and it was a Great game. 

Edited by Dragon Nation
wrong

6 minutes ago, Dragon Nation said:

#54 is better than good and he was doing his job against that big O line , they in no way held him in "check" lol watch the game again . Swatted down pass and 2 sacks??? O and lets not forget he did this playing both sides of the ball and not coming off the field. Guarantee the big o boys from Valpo couldn't play both ways for one quarter. I do agree with you on if starting quarter back playing all game score would have been different. Win is a Win and it was a Great game. 

Btw Charlie Spegal was at New Palestine for 2 years not 3 , his parents job relocated. 

14 hours ago, OldschoolFB said:

Just read a few of these.  New Pal beat CG soundly at CG. New Pal beat Cathedral at Cathedral(I think), soundly.   Cathedral beat Trinity soundly.  Trinity smoked Carmel. Carmel only beat CG by 3.   New Pal is better than all of them.   So is Valpo and I’m starting to think so is Dwenger.  5A was better than 6A this year.   It happens.  

2020 Indiana High School recruiting class is relatively weak compared to past several classes.  It shows up in the 6A results we saw this year.  

Only one 4 star in the group this year.  

in 2019 class, there were 8 four star and 1 five star recruits.  Huge drop off this year

https://www.scout.com/Season/2020-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=IN

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=IN

Edited by DT

On 11/30/2019 at 9:35 PM, Boilerup said:

I said 13 -3 and the best game of the weekend. Got laughed at. 27-20 . At the beginning of the week we should have told valpo to just stay home  cause the dragons were unbeatable. If not for a bad choice by the QB on one throw. The game is different.  Great game by two great teams. New pal is a great program that is basically a suburb of Indy and they have benefited of people that move to be away from the city and are still close enough to be away from the everyday hassle of city life. We are a 4a program the  voices have cried . Give me a break.  That will change when people move into your community. HSE, fishers were there also and look we’re their at. Some how Charlie spegal was at another school his freshman year and ended up at NP. Would be a whole different story if he was not there for 3 years.  Enjoy your time on top cause it will come to a end at some point!

As someone who had watched both teams play (one live, one on video) several times, I expected a close game. Valpo matches up better with NP than any team the Dragons played, but NP was the better team - especially given it had to revamp its offensive gameplan on the fly because of Roth's injury (which also affected the defense, as a couple of guys who might have gotten a breather on offense now had to play every snap since Roudebush had to move from WR to QB). The pick-6 was forced by NP's pressure and a DB being in the right spot. It was a great, well-played game. 

Now, the second point, I have no idea what you mean by "this will change when people move into your community." What will likely change is that there will be *more* people (so NP will actually be a 5A school by enrollment). I'm not sure what you mean by where HSE & Fishers are - they're pretty good football schools with a lot of recent athletic success. Same with Center Grove (a very similar community to New Palestine in terms of demographics and passion for football), as well as Brownsburg, Avon, Carmel, Zionsville ... a number of suburbs that border Indy have experienced a lot of football success along with growth. While the community is enjoying this run, we know nothing lasts forever, but three state championships and four State Finals appearances in six years - all but one in a higher enrollment class - is incredible and we'll enjoy it for a long time. This is special, we know it, but understand NP's success isn't just because of move-ins and growth. The vast, vast, vast majority of players on this team grew up in the youth football program - which is huge and well-organized. We have 50+ kids per grade in pads playing football going down to first grade. The high school program is *very* involved, and many former players are coaching and teaching in that league. The football culture in this community is unreal. Now, will you have a team like the last two seasons with multiple FBS-level recruits on the roster every year? Probably not, but you do have a foundation for sustained success that perpetuates itself. And, honestly, if you're looking for a home in the suburbs and your kid is interested in football, why wouldn't you consider New Pal? 

29 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

As someone who had watched both teams play (one live, one on video) several times, I expected a close game. Valpo matches up better with NP than any team the Dragons played, but NP was the better team - especially given it had to revamp its offensive gameplan on the fly because of Roth's injury (which also affected the defense, as a couple of guys who might have gotten a breather on offense now had to play every snap since Roudebush had to move from WR to QB). The pick-6 was forced by NP's pressure and a DB being in the right spot. It was a great, well-played game. 

Now, the second point, I have no idea what you mean by "this will change when people move into your community." What will likely change is that there will be *more* people (so NP will actually be a 5A school by enrollment). I'm not sure what you mean by where HSE & Fishers are - they're pretty good football schools with a lot of recent athletic success. Same with Center Grove (a very similar community to New Palestine in terms of demographics and passion for football), as well as Brownsburg, Avon, Carmel, Zionsville ... a number of suburbs that border Indy have experienced a lot of football success along with growth. While the community is enjoying this run, we know nothing lasts forever, but three state championships and four State Finals appearances in six years - all but one in a higher enrollment class - is incredible and we'll enjoy it for a long time. This is special, we know it, but understand NP's success isn't just because of move-ins and growth. The vast, vast, vast majority of players on this team grew up in the youth football program - which is huge and well-organized. We have 50+ kids per grade in pads playing football going down to first grade. The high school program is *very* involved, and many former players are coaching and teaching in that league. The football culture in this community is unreal. Now, will you have a team like the last two seasons with multiple FBS-level recruits on the roster every year? Probably not, but you do have a foundation for sustained success that perpetuates itself. And, honestly, if you're looking for a home in the suburbs and your kid is interested in football, why wouldn't you consider New Pal? 

Valpo lacked the physical toughness it needed to beat NP.  

As big as Valpo is, they did not leverage that size differential to their complete advantage.  

This is not surprising, as The Region has morphed from a tough blue collar manufacturing area to a softer white collar collection of communities.  

You cant teach toughness.  A school like New Prairie is rugged and tough as nails.  There was a time when Russ Radtke was mentioned for the Valpo opening. 

Coach Marshall should take a deep look into his staff and bring in some hard nosed assistants to provide a tougher edge to this program.

Edited by DT

1 minute ago, gonzoron said:

Don't recall seeing them at LOS.

Not enough talent this year, but mean as a junkyard dog, as usual.

Little New Prairie beat both Penn and Mishawaka this year.  Talking about playing over your grade.  

32 minutes ago, DT said:

Valpo lacked the physical toughness it needed to beat NP.  

As big as Valpo is, they did not leverage that size differential to their complete advantage.  

This is not surprising, as The Region has morphed from a tough blue collar manufacturing area to a softer white collar collection of communities.  

You cant teach toughness.  A school like New Prairie is rugged and tough as nails.  There was a time when Russ Radtke was mentioned for the Valpo opening. 

Coach Marshall should take a deep look into his staff and bring in some hard nosed assistants to provide a tougher edge to this program.

Your coaching experience is? Not to be mean but if you are stating what Coach Marshall should or shouldn’t be doing. Have you walked in his footsteps? Heave you been a Head Coach at this level? Do you know day to day what he is instilling into his players?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Your coaching experience is? Not to be mean but if you are stating what Coach Marshall should or shouldn’t be doing. Have you walked in his footsteps? Heave you been a Head Coach at this level? Do you know day to day what he is instilling into his players?

Valpo looked pretty physically tough both on video and in person. I was really impressed with their willingness and ability to play smash-mouth football. They're aggressive and come after you. They're one of the most physical teams I've seen all year. NP might be a little bit smaller pound-for-pound, but those players live in the weight room and condition for playing two ways four quarters and play relentless, physical football. 

29 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

I trust my eyes.  It's not difficult to discern between an aggressive team and a passive team.   We've seen them both over the years.  Valpo looked passive to me.   NP looked aggressive.  

DT an idiot....hates Valpo and region football except for Russ R and Phil Mason(though both of them got run out of tourney) ..probably the only one in the state that thinks Valpo lost because they were too soft....just so foolish not even worth getting worried about...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, roscoeguy said:

DT an idiot....hates Valpo and region football except for Russ R and Phil Mason(though both of them got run out of tourney) ..probably the only one in the state that thinks Valpo lost because they were too soft....just so foolish not even worth getting worried about...

Valpo offensive line averaged about 285

New Pal D Line about 225

Valpo should have controlled the line of scrimmage and pushed NP around with that kind of size advantage.  

Go back and watch the game tapes and compare the Valpo offensive line with the Carmel offensive line.  Both are similar in size.  Carmel however much more aggressive.

Sometimes, the biggest guys on the field are also the most passive.  

Valpo torched Munster 69-6 in the sectional.  Roscoeguy must still be licking his wounds from that brutal beatdown.  

7 hours ago, DT said:

New Pal D Line about 225

Valpo should have controlled the line of scrimmage and pushed NP around with that kind of size advantage.  

Go back and watch the game tapes and compare the Valpo offensive line with the Carmel offensive line.  Both are similar in size.  Carmel however much more aggressive.

Sometimes, the biggest guys on the field are also the most passive.  

Valpo torched Munster 69-6 in the sectional.  Roscoeguy must still be licking his wounds from that brutal beatdown.  

60 pounds per kid and and 900 more kids in your school?  Seems to add up to me.

8 hours ago, DT said:

New Pal D Line about 225

Weight room strength, conditioning and speed/quickness can neutralize size. New Pal's D-line has a Big Ten DE who led the state in sacks last year on one side and a junior DE who has had FBS interest on the other, plus a very aggressive and talented LB corps. They're used to being outsized, but they've done fine. The other team has won 28 straight games and Friday's was the only one decided by less than 10 points. They're pretty good at football.