Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

4A: East Noble (14-0) vs Evansville Memorial (12-1)

4A: East Noble (14-0) vs Evansville Memorial (12-1)  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got?

• East Noble
    • Evansville Memorial

This poll is closed to new votes

Still can’t wrap my head around the fact that not a single player on EM has a college offer, a school of 650 students winning a state title a class up and not a single player is good enough to play at the next level? It is mind-boggling to me that college coaches do not think any of these kids are good enough to play for their programs.

Edited by ShakeDownTheThunder
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ShakeDownTheThunder said:

Still can’t wrap my head around the fact that not a single player on EM has a college offer, a school of 650 students winning a state title a class up and not a single player is good enough to play at the next level? It is mind-boggling to me that college coaches do not think any of these kids are good enough to play for their programs.

Austin Jones looks headed to UIndy.  He’s a great OLer.  Did a phenomenal job on Karlaftis in last year’s final.  But he just doesn’t have FBS size.  And size is a prerequisite at that position.

I’m sure Brock will play somewhere.  But, yeah, it’s nuts he doesn’t have an offer.  He’s a freak of nature - easily one of the best players to come out of Evansville since I’ve been paying attention.

5 hours ago, Knightmare said:

Hats off to Memorial. The more physical team won the game. That drive in the 3rd quarter was a killer, but I still can’t get over how poorly EN played offensively. A lot of that had to do with the pressure and EN’s inability to slow down the rush at all. The lack of screens, quick passes, and Hayden Jones not touching the ball at all was shocking to me. 

East Noble put too much on a couple players shoulders.  Any good defense can shut that down unless you’re dealing with a Hershel Walker type of player or if you have a dominant O Line that allows for a RB to run through huge lanes. Even Spegal was pedestrian save for the one brilliant play call by the big fella Coach Ralph.  Outside of that Spegal averaged roughly  3.5 per.  New Pal knew this and on the first drive of the game, Spegal touched the ball only once for a yard or two and New Pal still scored.  East Noble didn’t have a plan B. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheDoctor22 said:

Was just thinking the same thing. Congratulations Memorial on another great season! Very impressive considering the talent that graduated last year.

The Combs boys have been a pleasure to watch over the past few years (with the exception of one game...). I love the way they play the game. Are there any more Combs coming through the pipeline?

Yes Brady in 6th and he has a mind like Brock and built like Brock! 

10 hours ago, ShakeDownTheThunder said:

Combs is surely good enough to play at Marian or U Indy.  I couldn't believe Lindauer was overlooked either.

I could see Combs playing Linebacker, Stand up Rush D-End in a 3-4 system, or a TE/H-Back at the college level.

Very impressive tournament run by EM. Not giving up a TD in SS or state is not something many expected. I thing Harrell or Sags has EN and Hobart ahead of EM in final rankings. IMO Mooresville was by far the best 4A team EM faced this season. 

18 hours ago, jimsinchur said:

Told yall Memorial would win this one, well coached and a great program. They had played far better competition as well!

Seriously, if it is possible to send the full size rendering of your Avatar via GID Personal Messenger, I would truly love to have it.

I honestly think it is one of the funniest things I have seen here.

Thanks in advance....hopefully.

• Haha 1

I've debated putting this on here for the last few days, but decided to do it because I think we too often hear about the negative, but rarely enough about the positive.

The young man in the wheelchair is Sam (last name withheld for privacy, although he is probably more well-known in Evansville than our mayor).  Sam has Epidermolysis Bullosa (EB), a rare genetic condition.   His skin is fragile and blisters easily from even slight contact.  He endures painful bandage changes daily and has endured countless medical procedures and spent many days and weeks in hospitals.  He has literally fought EB every day of his entire life.  He loves Memorial, Memorial sports and is an inspiration to our entire school family.  And the Memorial family loves him.  He rarely misses any Memorial football, basketball or baseball games.  Saturday he watched the game from the sideline (and even attended the tailgate in the rain and wind for a little bit to help get the crowd fired up).  While he may not look it, Sam is widely known as the toughest kid at Memorial.  After the game (unbeknownst to anyone), Brock Combs, who was the clear star of the 4A game, received his medal and made his way over to Sam and hung it around his neck.  A few minutes later the trophy was presented, this picture was taken.  Very few people even knew it had happened until the following morning.   

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, people playing sports and outdoor

This, my friends, is what HS football is all about!  

Thanks to ALL the coaches across our state who sacrifice so much to help young boys become men!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, tango said:

I've debated putting this on here for the last few days, but decided to do it because I think we too often hear about the negative, but rarely enough about the positive.

The young man in the wheelchair is Sam (last name withheld for privacy, although he is probably more well-known in Evansville than our mayor).  Sam has Epidermolysis Bullosa (EB), a rare genetic condition.   His skin is fragile and blisters easily from even slight contact.  He endures painful bandage changes daily and has endured countless medical procedures and spent many days and weeks in hospitals.  He has literally fought EB every day of his entire life.  He loves Memorial, Memorial sports and is an inspiration to our entire school family.  And the Memorial family loves him.  He rarely misses any Memorial football, basketball or baseball games.  Saturday he watched the game from the sideline (and even attended the tailgate in the rain and wind for a little bit to help get the crowd fired up).  While he may not look it, Sam is widely known as the toughest kid at Memorial.  After the game (unbeknownst to anyone), Brock Combs, who was the clear star of the 4A game, received his medal and made his way over to Sam and hung it around his neck.  A few minutes later the trophy was presented, this picture was taken.  Very few people even knew it had happened until the following morning.   

Thanks to ALL the coaches across our state who sacrifice so much to help young boys become men!

Someone shared this picture with me yesterday.  Class act by Combs!

• Like 2

I re-watched this game last night on IHSAATV. Two tough hombres in Combs and Parker. Plus based on the Parker’s mental attitude bio and that story Tango shared about Combs, it sounds like two great young men as well.

It was much more than those two. I noticed some good acts of sportsmanship on both sides as well. I think both schools and communities can be proud of the teams that competed and the great seasons they had.

6 hours ago, tango said:

Beautful man, great story!!   

Loved how you ended the post with the last sentence, so many great stories across our state just like the one above.  

Thanks for sharing!!!   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2019 at 5:00 PM, MHSTigerFan said:
On 11/30/2019 at 10:00 PM, Tiger391 said:

IMO I think Mooresville was by far best team we played in the postseason . Still shocked ! State champs! 

I agree with this.  Mooresville was very tough (and huge)!

I totally agree!

I don't want to take anything away from EM, but if they play Mooresville at Mooresville do they win that game?  If EC beats Mooresville EM heads to EC for the Regional, do they beat EC on the road at EC?

I think Home field advantage and the distance a team travels is a HUGE factor in who gets to LOS.  EM has had the best draw a team could ask for this year and last year getting both the Regional and SS at home and not traveling over 30 minutes for an away game.  In 2017 was the only time EM had to travel over an hour (not including the State Championships) in the playoffs to play Danville in the SS.

27 minutes ago, Art VanDelay said:

I totally agree!

I don't want to take anything away from EM, but if they play Mooresville at Mooresville do they win that game?  If EC beats Mooresville EM heads to EC for the Regional, do they beat EC on the road at EC?

I think Home field advantage and the distance a team travels is a HUGE factor in who gets to LOS.  EM has had the best draw a team could ask for this year and last year getting both the Regional and SS at home and not traveling over 30 minutes for an away game.  In 2017 was the only time EM had to travel over an hour (not including the State Championships) in the playoffs to play Danville in the SS.

The power of prayer....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Art VanDelay said:

I totally agree!

A lot of what ifs the ball bounced our way and we were the best team in 4A. I do agree Enlow is the best atmosphere in high school football! Big advantage 

8 hours ago, Art VanDelay said:

I totally agree!

I think the more talented team is HUGE in who gets to LOS. Away games are like home games for EM...have you paid attention to their following? EM fans come in droves to watch the Big Blue Whoop-a$$ train play. 

22 hours ago, Art VanDelay said:

I totally agree!

Don't know the answer to your questions. I will say most coaches in High School football know you have to have talented and disciplined pleys, and you have to have a little luck on your side too. Every team that wins a State Championship puts those 3 things together. Be it luck of getting a home game at the right time or really anything else. 

Looking back at the playoff run by Evansville Memorial this year, I think their toughest game was likely their game against Mooresville. Memorial took full advantage of 2 early turnovers in the game to jump up 14-0 and forced Mooresville to play from a hole. Credit to the Tigers for making plays and taking advantage of the opposing teams mistakes, and that is what good football teams do.

Congrats Memorial!

18 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Don't know the answer to your questions. I will say most coaches in High School football know you have to have talented and disciplined pleys, and you have to have a little luck on your side too. Every team that wins a State Championship puts those 3 things together. Be it luck of getting a home game at the right time or really anything else. 

Looking back at the playoff run by Evansville Memorial this year, I think their toughest game was likely their game against Mooresville. Memorial took full advantage of 2 early turnovers in the game to jump up 14-0 and forced Mooresville to play from a hole. Credit to the Tigers for making plays and taking advantage of the opposing teams mistakes, and that is what good football teams do.

Congrats Memorial!

I’ll probably take some heat from my fellow Tiger fans in saying this.  But, in a number of ways, Mooresville outplayed us.  I don’t recall the yardage figures.  But I’d be surprised if they didn’t outgain us.

We capitalized on a very poorly thrown pass and a short field thanks to a fumble on the ensuing kickoff.  Other than that, we didn’t move the ball very well.

That said, our D did its usual job at being really hard to score on, too.  It was a hard-fought game between two really tough teams.  I can see why Mooresville knocked off EC.