Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2A: Eastbrook (12-2) vs Western Boone (13-1)

2A: Eastbrook (12-2) vs Western Boone (13-1)  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got?

• Eastbrook
    • Western Boone

On 11/25/2019 at 1:43 PM, Old coach with love said:

Eastbrook returned 2 on defense and on offense they returned the   Qb -16  wideout-26 and one O-Linemen.  I saw Friday’s game I don’t think I have seen a def in 2A or even 3A put on a performance like they did.   Reminds me of the old Jimtown team in the 90s hard nosed open field tackling speedy lil suckers.  I talked to a few Eastbrook parents while there.   I lift saying if they man handled Andrean like this? I think I’m watching the next 2A state champs.   I know webo thinks there QB is gonna just throw all over them.   Well so did that Andrean stud!  Unless something crazy happens I look for a really great defense performance again.  No dog in this Eastbrook 34-10

😂😂😂 probably should’ve picked the other team and you would’ve been close on a prediction!

On 11/26/2019 at 12:59 PM, captainobvious said:

With each and every passing day and the more film I watch, I’m more inclined to think that the Panthers will be victorious this Saturday!  I just don’t think that the Stars will be able to keep up with Eastbrook’s team speed and tenacity through four quarters of play!  The Stars are a good team, I just think this Eastbrook team is built to outlast good teams!  Should be a great game, until Eastbrook starts to pull away late!  Good Luck Panthers!  Finish Strong!!

Eastbrook really showed up! I am so taken aback by their performance.

• Like 1
  • Disdain 3

I suspected there might possibly be a chance Eastbrook wouldn't be able to compete at the line of scrimmage this year as they turned over so many off their lines that competed last year and Western Boone returned several although probably not as deep in that area as they were last year.  Obviously still plenty good.  When I saw Eastbrook win the line of scrimmage against Andrean last week I thought they would be reasonably competitive today.  Obviously wasn't the case.

Congrats to Western Boone.  Couldn't cheer for them today but I otherwise almost always am.  Would've been interesting to see this team in the 3A tournament.  Not at Chatard's level but would've been a decent game with several of the other top 3A teams I think. 

With all the sophomores contributing for Eastbrook, I think we may see them here again in the next couple years.  It's ironic I think that the one year they didn't make it in the past four years was probably their best team and best opportunity to win it all. 

• Like 2

Going in to this game, I thought Webo would win by 10 and I didn't think there was anyway EB was going to score 20 or more.  I thought EB may break a long run or pass play to score once or twice (the reverse put them in a position to score their TD), but I felt that Webo would shut down the running game of EB. 

Webo's Starting D gave up 27 points in 6 tournament games (7 to N Put, 13 to TC, 7 to EB).  Coach Brunes is an absolute mastermind as a DC.  He took away everything EB did and with EB being pretty much 1 dimensional they struggled to move the ball.  

Spencer Wright was a man on Saturday.  The kid doesn't care about his stats (look at last year to this year) but just wants to win.  Cortez Stoudemire and Connor Hole were dudes on Saturday.  Brett Wethington & Luke Marsh were solid.  And Robby Taylor did what Robby Taylor has done all year.  And Webo's OL & DL were outstanding all day Saturday.

Congrats to EB on a great run the last 4 years. 

Congrats to the Stars on going Back to Back!

Edited by 1st_and_10
  • Like 2

When you control the line of scrimmage like Western Boone did, the Eastbrook offense isn't really designed to overcome it.  Wish they had a 2nd page to that playbook for occasions like Saturday.  Too many plays resulting in little-to-no gain and putting them in obvious passing downs.  Would've liked to have seen them throw more on early downs and maybe do more running out of the shotgun.  Unfortunately, what you see with the Eastbrook offense is what you get.  There is no plan B.  Most of the time it works but they're going to run the same stuff even if it doesn't in particular matchups.

But in the end, anything they could have done differently would have been purely cosmetic and not enough to change to the outcome of the game.  The Western Boone team that won state in 2019 was better than the one that won state in 2018.  I don't know what happened in the Western game.  Maybe Western Boone dropped that to throw everyone off but it was clearly an aberration to the rest of their season.  Eastbrook did an exceptional job to get back in 2019 but they weren't as mature and experienced on the liens I don't think.   

I have 2 questions from this game.

1. My question is with the game being such a blowout why did both teams play their starters the entire game.  A lot of subs work hard all year and deserve to get into the game.

2.  When Webo went up 41-0 why didn't the running clock rule come into play? Or does that rule exists for the state finals.

16 minutes ago, LouH said:

I have 2 questions from this game.

1. My question is with the game being such a blowout why did both teams play their starters the entire game.  A lot of subs work hard all year and deserve to get into the game.

2.  When Webo went up 41-0 why didn't the running clock rule come into play? Or does that rule exists for the state finals.

I can't answer #1.  I think Webo had some kids play that typically don't see the field a ton.  particularly Seniors.

2. There is no running clock after Sectional Final

20 minutes ago, LouH said:

For some reason, in name of sportsmanship and player safety gets thrown out after Sectionals.......    makes no sense to me either. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

For some reason, in name of sportsmanship and player safety gets thrown out after Sectionals.......    makes no sense to me either. 

I thought it might be because the IHSAA assumed that large gaps in competitiveness diminish somewhat after sectionals. 

15 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I didn't understand why either... It really doesn't make a lot of sense.  Would like them to review and leave it in for all games (tournament or regular season).

10 hours ago, BigTimeDB said:

I thought it might be because the IHSAA assumed that large gaps in competitiveness diminish somewhat after sectionals. 

But if it doesn't?  There is no harm in leaving the rule through the playoffs too.  

Edited by 1st_and_10