Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

1A: Lafayette Central Catholic (11-3) vs Indianapolis Lutheran (13-0)

1A: Lafayette Central Catholic (11-3) vs Indianapolis Lutheran (13-0)  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got?

• Lafayette Central Catholic
    • Indianapolis Lutheran

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

Covenant Christian's highlights vs. Indy Lutheran for those looking for hints as to how to stymie the offense and go after the defense.

https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/covenant-christian-warriors-(indianapolis,in)/football/videos.htm?videoid=c1b8043a-cb7d-464f-992a-99b8f490a2c7

Probably the last time Covenant Christian gets LuHi film when their cameras malfunction.

4 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Where I am confused is that, without Success Factor, which is what you said, LCC would have remained in 1A in 2013 and 2014.  It's highly likely that LCC would have prevailed in 2013 and 2014 in 1A. 

No one will ever convince me that Scecina would not have cruised to the 1A title in 2013.  LCC was younger, on average, than the previous title runs, and Scecina had 23 seniors.  Had they not come up against Purichia & Co. from Ritter in the regional, they might have come out of the south in 2A.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

Covenant Christian's highlights vs. Indy Lutheran for those looking for hints as to how to stymie the offense and go after the defense.

https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/covenant-christian-warriors-(indianapolis,in)/football/videos.htm?videoid=c1b8043a-cb7d-464f-992a-99b8f490a2c7

Gold Jerry!!!  GOLD!!!     😁👍

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, kdets89 said:

No one will ever convince me that Scecina would not have cruised to the 1A title in 2013.  LCC was younger, on average, than the previous title runs, and Scecina had 23 seniors.  Had they not come up against Purichia & Co. from Ritter in the regional, they might have come out of the south in 2A.

Will a Lcc win fri convince u?.....

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

Where I am confused is that, without Success Factor, which is what you said, LCC would have remained in 1A in 2013 and 2014.  It's highly likely that LCC would have prevailed in 2013 and 2014 in 1A.  At the same time, as has been pointed out by folks like @Coach Nowlin, LCC also had an unusual run of talent bunching at that time.  The current 2019 squad looks much more like the standard LCC teams before the four-peat.  With that in mind, I think that you are right that there more of a general mix in 1A then perhaps in other classes.  I was just having a discussion with someone today who was lamenting that LCC beat up on all those county schools and they mentioned Pioneer by name.  I didn't have the heart to tell him that I think LCC and Pioneer are pretty close to split in their series against each other.

What he is getting at is that If Pioneer would have stayed down this year they would win 1A which would be 4 in a row. its like saying if we stayed down we would have won 6 in a row which I know we would have 

1 hour ago, kdets89 said:

I hadn't factored Scecina into the mix even though they had also vacated 1A due to Success Factor ... albeit without a blue ring.  I'd only run numbers on LCC vs. 1A 2013 and 1A 2014 and I'd forgotten that LCC and Scecina were on opposite sides of the 2A bracket.  Calpreps shows it as a close game, but Scecina taking 2013 by a score of 21-17.  If there hadn't been a Success Factor in 2013, there would have been with LCC and Scecina meeting for a third year in a row at a state championship in 1A.

• Thanks 1

Now I remember what I miss from the 1A threads.  How we could always have pages and pages of discussions based on different years, games, and players who have long since moved on.  Always managing somehow to make it relevant to a game about to be played this year. 🙂

2A threads are so much more boring I tell ya.

Edited by lp3coda
  • Haha 1

On 11/25/2019 at 9:55 AM, foxbat said:

Are there official feeder schools into Indy Lutheran or is it more general?  I know that Calvary Lutheran is right in Indy Lutheran's backyard ... about a 10-minute drive ...  but didn't know if it was more of a full feeder program or just a general area collector.

There are quite a few calavary kids, but st. John, zion and trinity lutheran are in the mix.

12 hours ago, foxbat said:

Same thing weve heard last two weeks,  let me ask you a question,  what happen to LCC when they played teams with speed? See west Lafayette score. We are playing on the fastest field in the nfl. Lutheran 49-7 .

14 minutes ago, CP fed said:

Same thing weve heard last two weeks,  let me ask you a question,  what happen to LCC when they played teams with speed? See west Lafayette score. We are playing on the fastest field in the nfl. Lutheran 49-7 .

One other thing most people look at are common opponents,  Trader's Point was in control of the game until midway 3rd quarter against LCC until they imploded. Lutheran put up 35 points in the first quarter on the way to 63 against against TP. Ask kdets89 what their fans were saying about Lutheran. 

1 hour ago, CP fed said:

Luthern has city speed?.... I knew Jack Kennedy.... Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine..... Luthern is no Jack Kennedy.......  🤭

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sit and spin 1

18 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

Luthern has city speed?.... I knew Jack Kennedy.... Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine..... Luthern is no Jack Kennedy.......  🤭

Can't compete with Lutheran's city speed! LCC might as well not even show up.

1 hour ago, CP fed said:

1 hour ago, CP fed said:

One other thing most people look at are common opponents,  Trader's Point was in control of the game until midway 3rd quarter against LCC until they imploded. Lutheran put up 35 points in the first quarter on the way to 63 against against TP. Ask kdets89 what their fans were saying about Lutheran. 

With no disrespect, it's deja vu all over again.  That speed argument has been made before and LCC's perfectly fine playing on the fast turf of LOS.  I'm not expecting this to devolve into a "city speed vs. county speed" thread like the one in 2011, but LCC also has some kids that will be much faster on LOS turf than most folks have seen all year. 

As for speed like West Lafayette, there's not a team in 1A that has, or is close to, speed like West Lafayette.  Also, while I appreciate White's numbers, his QB rating is around 105 while Adams' QB rating was around 132.  While White's completion rate is a respectable 59%, Adams' completion rate was over 72% and Adams' put up those numbers with more completions than White had attempts for the season ... on a shorter season.

This game will be less a game of speed and more a game of defense.  I'm not allowed to comment on specific analysis, but there are two key components for Lutheran to stymie LCC and speed isn't one of them.   As for common opponents, somehow Covenant Christian was able keep Lutheran to just 28 points on Lutheran's home turf field while they gave up 38 points to Trader's Point.  The transitive properties in football, especially 1A football at tourney time, or even end of season time, don't tend to work on a linear scale.  As @BendNotBreak tends to say, sometimes it's about those intangibles.

With all of that said, LCC finds itself in a unique position of being underdog in a state title game for the first time this millennia from what I gather.  Lutheran is #1 in 1A for a reason and will be a formidable foe.  LCC has a lot to overcome and have an uphill climb, but I don't see them at a six TD disadvantage.  No disrespect intended.

Edit:  Apparently I was wrong about it not devolving into a city speed vs. county speed ala Scecina in 2011. 😀

Edited by foxbat

2 hours ago, CP fed said:

There are quite a few calavary kids, but st. John, zion and trinity lutheran are in the mix.

Do those schools have football programs?  I know they have soccer programs and St. John and Calvary are pretty good soccer teams.  At the Calvary tournament, there was a guy from Lutheran talking to the various player parents about Lutheran and the way he was talking, it was like most knew Indy Lutheran School intimately.  I know @kdets89 mentioned the Little Saints program, but do any of these other schools field independent youth football or all they all under kind of an "umbrella" of Indy Lutheran?

Edited by foxbat

10 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Do those schools have football programs?  I know they have soccer programs and St. John and Calvary are pretty good soccer teams.  At the Calvary tournament, there was a guy from Lutheran talking to the various player parents about Lutheran and the way he was talking, it was like most knew Indy Lutheran School intimately.  I know @kdets89 mentioned the Little Saints program, but do any of these other schools field independent youth football or all they all under kind of an "umbrella" of Indy Lutheran?

All schools feed into the Jr. Saints program (grades 1-8).  Of the feeder schools, none of them have the numbers to field an independent team.

2 hours ago, foxbat said:

With no disrespect, it's deja vu all over again.  That speed argument has been made before and LCC's perfectly fine playing on the fast turf of LOS.  I'm not expecting this to devolve into a "city speed vs. county speed" thread like the one in 2011, but LCC also has some kids that will be much faster on LOS turf than most folks have seen all year. 

As for speed like West Lafayette, there's not a team in 1A that has, or is close to, speed like West Lafayette.  Also, while I appreciate White's numbers, his QB rating is around 105 while Adams' QB rating was around 132.  While White's completion rate is a respectable 59%, Adams' completion rate was over 72% and Adams' put up those numbers with more completions than White had attempts for the season ... on a shorter season.

This game will be less a game of speed and more a game of defense.  I'm not allowed to comment on specific analysis, but there are two key components for Lutheran to stymie LCC and speed isn't one of them.   As for common opponents, somehow Covenant Christian was able keep Lutheran to just 28 points on Lutheran's home turf field while they gave up 38 points to Trader's Point.  The transitive properties in football, especially 1A football at tourney time, or even end of season time, don't tend to work on a linear scale.  As @BendNotBreak tends to say, sometimes it's about those intangibles.

With all of that said, LCC finds itself in a unique position of being underdog in a state title game for the first time this millennia from what I gather.  Lutheran is #1 in 1A for a reason and will be a formidable foe.  LCC has a lot to overcome and have an uphill climb, but I don't see them at a six TD disadvantage.  No disrespect intended.

Edit:  Apparently I was wrong about it not devolving into a city speed vs. county speed ala Scecina in 2011. 😀

U said the same thing about covenant Christian last week. Our worst game of the season, still was never in doubt. I have no doubt LCC is a good team, and the players will play.  As for city or county speed thats on you. I watch the teams and see what i see as far as speed. Fast is fast

59 minutes ago, CP fed said:

U said the same thing about covenant Christian last week. Our worst game of the season, still was never in doubt. I have no doubt LCC is a good team, and the players will play.  As for city or county speed thats on you. I watch the teams and see what i see as far as speed. Fast is fast

While the game may have never been in doubt, something still kept a high-powered Lutheran offense in check.  Like you said, Lutheran put up 35 on Trader's Point in the first quarter, but put up less than that in a whole game against Covenant Christian.  Just curious as to what you think contributed to that.  Not saying it as a smart-*ss, I'm honestly curious as to your assessment as to what Covenant was able to do as a 1A school that only a 4A school was able to do in the first game.  As I alluded to before, defense was more important for that game and, I'll still hang my hat on the fact that defense will be what ends up playing the factor in Saturday's game.  I could be completely wrong on this, but if Covenant Christian can hold Lutheran to 28, then it's certainly not unreasonable that LCC could do the same.  If LCC can do that, then it becomes a question of defense ... again, as I alluded to.

4 hours ago, CP fed said:

I'm not sure that a 1-point lead at half denotes being in control of the game.  And, as for implosion, that would imply that Trader's Point brought the loss on themselves by their own actions.  I think that does injustice to both LCC and Trader's Point as Trader's Point was a very disciplined team with a lot of heart and a lot of skill.  If you were at that game, what you would have seen is that, in the 3rd quarter, LCC's defense took that game.  Trader's Point didn't give it away and they didn't make it easy.

Again, Lutheran is #1 for a reason and they have a strong program and have been close for the last three years.  LCC is happy to be where it is given that this should have been a rebuilding year and it is definitely the underdog at this point.  Tell you what ... I'm fairly sure that LCC isn't a six-TD underdog as you alluded to above.  You give me LCC and the six TDs.  Lutheran covers your spread, I'll cover your cost to be a GID Booster.  Lutheran doesn't cover your 42-point spread and you foot the bill and become a GID Booster.  A little friendly wager without really betting and either way, it's a win-win ... you get to be a GID Booster and GID gets another booster and more support ... and if Luther covers that 6-TD spread you get another win in that I pay for you to not have to see the ads.

Edited by foxbat

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

You give me LCC and the six TDs.  Lutheran covers your spread, I'll cover your cost to be a GID Booster.  Lutheran doesn't cover your 42-point spread and you foot the bill and become a GID Booster.  A little friendly wager without really betting and either way, it's a win-win ... you get to be a GID Booster and GID gets another booster and more support ... and if Luther covers that 6-TD spread you get another win in that I pay for you to not have to see the ads.

I am not yet a booster and I still don't see ads.  There are ways.................................

2 hours ago, foxbat said:

While the game may have never been in doubt, something still kept a high-powered Lutheran offense in check.  Like you said, Lutheran put up 35 on Trader's Point in the first quarter, but put up less than that in a whole game against Covenant Christian.  Just curious as to what you think contributed to that.  Not saying it as a smart-*ss, I'm honestly curious as to your assessment as to what Covenant was able to do as a 1A school that only a 4A school was able to do in the first game.  As I alluded to before, defense was more important for that game and, I'll still hang my hat on the fact that defense will be what ends up playing the factor in Saturday's game.  I could be completely wrong on this, but if Covenant Christian can hold Lutheran to 28, then it's certainly not unreasonable that LCC could do the same.  If LCC can do that, then it becomes a question of defense ... again, as I alluded to.

I'm not sure that a 1-point lead at half denotes being in control of the game.  And, as for implosion, that would imply that Trader's Point brought the loss on themselves by their own actions.  I think that does injustice to both LCC and Trader's Point as Trader's Point was a very disciplined team with a lot of heart and a lot of skill.  If you were at that game, what you would have seen is that, in the 3rd quarter, LCC's defense took that game.  Trader's Point didn't give it away and they didn't make it easy.

Again, Lutheran is #1 for a reason and they have a strong program and have been close for the last three years.  LCC is happy to be where it is given that this should have been a rebuilding year and it is definitely the underdog at this point.  Tell you what ... I'm fairly sure that LCC isn't a six-TD underdog as you alluded to above.  You give me LCC and the six TDs.  Lutheran covers your spread, I'll cover your cost to be a GID Booster.  Lutheran doesn't cover your 42-point spread and you foot the bill and become a GID Booster.  A little friendly wager without really betting and either way, it's a win-win ... you get to be a GID Booster and GID gets another booster and more support ... and if Luther covers that 6-TD spread you get another win in that I pay for you to not have to see the ads.

I will not talk about kids play directly in Tp LCC game, but there were plays thay were missed by TP.  Covenant Christian game, we had a ton of dropped passes. Biggest miss on us, but good teams can win ugly. Saturday game, just felt off.  As for my prediction its my prediction,  you have yours too. Well find out friday. Btw, love the ads😉

14 minutes ago, rjrlittleman said:

Hope this game is on the Dish network

Probably not, unless you can get FoxSports Indiana.  For viewers outside of the Fox Sports Indiana coverage area, a live stream will be available at IHSAAtv.org. For those within the FSI coverage area, the stream will be available only on delayed basis following the conclusion of the telecast.

Edited by gonzoron

57 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Probably not, unless you can get FoxSports Indiana.  For viewers outside of the Fox Sports Indiana coverage area, a live stream will be available at IHSAAtv.org. For those within the FSI coverage area, the stream will be available only on delayed basis following the conclusion of the telecast.

I can get the live stream, but was wanting to record it. I watch them all year round

I personally find this ridiculous that 2 private schools are in the finals. It should be North Vermillion, who I personally believe is the 2nd best team in the state, vs Adams Central, which would be a good game but Lutheran is too good to handle. ILHS 55 LCCHS 14

• Like 1
  • Disdain 3