Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Big 8 will be down to 6 teams.

3 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Any news of boonville or another team willing to join the SIAC or is it still a mess 

I think there is only one school with the stones to move to the SIAC left in the area.  A PAC expansion is probably the most likely option at this hour....but this stuff has taken a lot of twists and turns so who knows.

• Like 1

After all the talk about scheduling of non conference opponents the past decade or so it's hard to understand why the SIAC would want any more teams and have to deal with divisions. 10 teams eliminates any future scheduling concerns for football unless the IHSAA changes the number of regular season games.

As long as the SIAC stays 10 teams I can't see the PAC changing also because the options for non-conference opponents is drastically reduced with the SIAC at 10 teams.

2 minutes ago, DaveMosbey said:

After all the talk about scheduling of non conference opponents the past decade or so it's hard to understand why the SIAC would want any more teams and have to deal with divisions. 10 teams eliminates any future scheduling concerns for football unless the IHSAA changes the number of regular season games.

As long as the SIAC stays 10 teams I can't see the PAC changing also because the options for non-conference opponents is drastically reduced with the SIAC at 10 teams.

The PAC will at least examine the potential of adding the 4 former Big 8 schools.  For football one strategy might be creating two divisions with three non-conference games each.  The issue will become the SIAC will no longer be an option for non-conference games if they just set their conference up for everyone to play the new members.  Perhaps we can go after some of their old non-conference opponents. 

16 hours ago, Titan32 said:

The PAC will at least examine the potential of adding the 4 former Big 8 schools.  For football one strategy might be creating two divisions with three non-conference games each.  The issue will become the SIAC will no longer be an option for non-conference games if they just set their conference up for everyone to play the new members.  Perhaps we can go after some of their old non-conference opponents. 

Would much rather be able to schedule three tough non conference games than have a schedule of teams you already know everything about and are mediocore at best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, reitzguy said:

Would much rather be able to schedule three tough non conference games than have a schedule of teams you already know everything about and are mediocore at best.

I agree with you and Reitzguy. Don't understand how anybody right now in the SIAC can think their two team addition is good for their conference, especially if I'm Castle, Central or Reitz in football. More transportation costs, time change issues, and the fact you had a school that travels really well in football 15 minutes from Evansville that would have made you more money.  I think somebody hung them out to dry, and in a couple years they will be wishing they would have just stayed like they were. 

• Like 1

I hear the PAC is going to Add Boonville, Mt. Vernon, Princeton, and Washington. This would make the conference at 12 teams in football. Not sure how they are going to work this out. I would assume a big and small division with two cross-over games. Also not sure if this is an all-sports deal. ( I would assume it is now all sports) Not really sure what the better teams in the PAC gain out of this. Also, I don't see what Boonville gains by being the only 4A team in the conference full of 3A and 2A teams. I don't see this helping them prepare for sectional 24. 

1 minute ago, SWFootballfan said:

I hear the PAC is going to Add Boonville, Mt. Vernon, Princeton, and Washington. This would make the conference at 12 teams in football. Not sure how they are going to work this out. I would assume a big and small division with two cross-over games. Also not sure if this is an all-sports deal. ( I would assume it is now all sports) Not really sure what the better teams in the PAC gain out of this. Also, I don't see what Boonville gains by being the only 4A team in the conference full of 3A and 2A teams. I don't see this helping them prepare for sectional 24. 

Well....purely from a GS fan standpoint with no inside knowledge.  I could see something like this?:

Big = MV, W, GS, HH, P, MTV

Small = SR, NP, SS, TC, FP, PC

For us, we would play Boonville Princeton and Mt. Vernon as opposed to Tell City, Forest Park, and Pike Central.  Probably get a cross-over game or optional 3rd non-conference game (maybe a SR here).  And we get Princeton off our non-conference schedule to open up our non-conference games to some games more on the challenging end of the spectrum.  So I think there is potentially a LOT to gain.

7 minutes ago, SWFootballfan said:

What I was hearing was no crossover games if you didnt want to. Example why would 1A TellCity and 2A South Spencer schedule 4A Boonville or even power house HH and GS.

20 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Well....purely from a GS fan standpoint with no inside knowledge.  I could see something like this?:

For us, we would play Boonville Princeton and Mt. Vernon as opposed to Tell City, Forest Park, and Pike Central.  Probably get a cross-over game or optional 3rd non-conference game (maybe a SR here).  And we get Princeton off our non-conference schedule to open up our non-conference games to some games more on the challenging end of the spectrum.  So I think there is potentially a LOT to gain.

You left Boonville off your "Big" list.  So would have 7 in Big and 6 in Small?

41 minutes ago, SWFootballfan said:

While they are not 4A opponents, if Boonville played GS, HH, and SR(if they choose to play each other, i'm sure they would be opposite side of the big/small split), thats 3 games for sure that will be challenges and provide measuring sticks for Boonville.  If they would be added and PAC takes all 4, then big/small is almost a guarantee and they can schedule 4 non conference game of their choice.  They will have plenty of challenges if they wish! 

43 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

GS already plays Princeton so they are really only adding Washington, Mt. Vernon, and Boonville. So that is potentially a lot to gain???? I don't see any of those games helping them get ready for the postseason. Sure they are better than TC, FP, and PC but not by much. 

6 minutes ago, SWFootballfan said:

GS already plays Princeton so they are really only adding Washington, Mt. Vernon, and Boonville. So that is potentially a lot to gain???? I don't see any of those games helping them get ready for the postseason. Sure they are better than TC, FP, and PC but not by much. 

Any gain is a gain....but the big gain is to free up non-conference games (ie moving Princeton from non-conference to conference)....that his potentially HUGE for us!  

Edited by Titan32
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Titan32 said:

Any gain is a gain....but the big gain is to free up non-conference games....that his potentially HUGE for us!

I would think that any team from Indy down would love to get a game with us, just with the gate revenue alone. 

6 hours ago, Butkus said:

I agree with you and Reitzguy. Don't understand how anybody right now in the SIAC can think their two team addition is good for their conference, especially if I'm Castle, Central or Reitz in football. More transportation costs, time change issues, and the fact you had a school that travels really well in football 15 minutes from Evansville that would have made you more money.  I think somebody hung them out to dry, and in a couple years they will be wishing they would have just stayed like they were. 

SIAC didn’t need any team to help the conference. SIAC is helping a conference that is struggling and VL and Jasper pulled the trigger with zero hesitation.  Central had 2 years of good football and a horrible overall athletic program and suddenly we are concerned about VL and Jasper being good for Central??  

Edited by Screagle

57 minutes ago, Screagle said:

SIAC didn’t need any team to help the conference. SIAC is helping a conference that is struggling and VL and Jasper pulled the trigger with zero hesitation.  Central had 2 years of good football and a horrible overall athletic program and suddenly we are concerned about VL and Jasper being good for Central??  

So the SIAC is just being a "good guy" to help the Big 8? Out iof the goodness of their heart?  Lol! I'm sure when they look at those new transportation costs, and those parents in all those schools get tired of those late night drives from the JV swim meets, not to mention the time change they are gonna be super excited about the new members. You and I both know they wanted 4 teams. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Butkus said:

So the SIAC is just being a "good guy" to help the Big 8? Out iof the goodness of their heart?  Lol! I'm sure when they look at those new transportation costs, and those parents in all those schools get tired of those late night drives from the JV swim meets, not to mention the time change they are gonna be super excited about the new members. You and I both know they wanted 4 teams. 

I think we both know the big 8 is in trouble. Two teams looking out for their best interest took advantage of a situation without hesitation.  Next time, don’t hesitate!  

PAC voted today to add the 4 remaining Big 8 schools for the 2020-2021 school year. Don’t know if it’s been posted on here, didn’t want to go through and read all of it. Pretty predictable move when Jasper and VL jumped ship. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Screagle said:

I think we both know the big 8 is in trouble. Two teams looking out for their best interest took advantage of a situation without hesitation.  Next time, don’t hesitate!  

Once again if you think the SIAC went looking for Lincoln your crazy. Jasper needed another team to join with them when they were turned down and Lincoln was the team they called and they turned in the psperwork first. Once again I am a football guy all the way snd I can care less about the other sports but I actually think if the PAC does not require crossover games GS and HH will be in a better place with being able to schedule tougher teams if they choose where neither Jasper or Lincoln will make Reitz, Castle etc better

34 minutes ago, reitzguy said:

Once again if you think the SIAC went looking for Lincoln your crazy. Jasper needed another team to join with them when they were turned down and Lincoln was the team they called and they turned in the psperwork first. Once again I am a football guy all the way snd I can care less about the other sports but I actually think if the PAC does not require crossover games GS and HH will be in a better place with being able to schedule tougher teams if they choose where neither Jasper or Lincoln will make Reitz, Castle etc better

Once again I agree with you!

Find where I said SIAC went looking for VL.  They went after and got Jasper. VL didn’t hesitate to say yes immediately when asked jointly by Jasper and SIAC. Not uncommon in high school sports to drive 50 miles for a game. SIAC got better by both the new schools joining.  And both have great followings.  

Edited by Screagle

24 minutes ago, Screagle said:

Find where I said SIAC went looking for VL.  They went after and got Jasper. VL didn’t hesitate to say yes immediately when asked jointly by Jasper and SIAC. Not uncommon in high school sports to drive 50 miles for a game. SIAC got better by both the new schools joining.  And both have great followings.  

And great Baseball programs!

1 hour ago, reitzguy said:

Well, since this hasn’t been asked, what would your proposed divisions been if Boonville and GS had been added as well?