Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Big 8 will be down to 6 teams.

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

And great Baseball programs!

1 hour ago, Screagle said:

Find where I said SIAC went looking for VL.  They went after and got Jasper. VL didn’t hesitate to say yes immediately when asked jointly by Jasper and SIAC. Not uncommon in high school sports to drive 50 miles for a game. SIAC got better by both the new schools joining.  And both have great followings.  

First off I thought Jasper went to them? What I'm asking is for someone in the SIAC to explain how this made the conference better? You have higher costs, and no flexibility in football. You have student athletes that will have alot of late nite weekday games in conference.  I'm not trying to be disrespectful at all. Just asking for concrete reasons. If it was 12, and you had two divisions, plus real rivalry games with Jasper keeping Southridge and HH, or Boonville playing Castle I could see benefits financially. GS playing Reitz or MD would have been moneymakers. This setup created nothing like that. Congrats and good luck!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Butkus said:

First off I thought Jasper went to them? What I'm asking is for someone in the SIAC to explain how this made the conference better? You have higher costs, and no flexibility in football. You have student athletes that will have alot of late nite weekday games in conference.  I'm not trying to be disrespectful at all. Just asking for concrete reasons. If it was 12, and you had two divisions, plus real rivalry games with Jasper keeping Southridge and HH, or Boonville playing Castle I could see benefits financially. GS playing Reitz or MD would have been moneymakers. This setup created nothing like that. Congrats and good luck!

Butkus has a bit of fire to his takes, but I like it! 

I think what he is saying the SIAC already knows, just a few fans don’t agree with.  The SIAC did amend their bylaws to have a total of 12 teams.

If I’m not mistaken too, there is a conference in northern Indiana (I think the south bend area) where they have 10 schools and their football schedule has 0 out of conference games.  I believe they were talking about (or already did) making changes to allow non conference games because they feel like it is restricting.  The SIAC at 12 gives all the flexibility and locality to scheduling.  At 10, you just play your conference schedule  

The Hoosier conference has 10 teams.  You play a 4 game conference schedule and then on week 9 you play against the same team in your standings spot ie. if you are 3rd place in your group of 5, you play the other group of 5 3rd place.

North Central conference has 10 teams and plays a 7 game conference schedule with 2 non-con games.  I believe all the teams have start conference play on week 3.

Northeast Corner has 10 teams, and i really cant tell you how they decide their conference schedule other than they each play 4 conference games.

The Summit(FW) has 10 teams and play a full conference schedule.

Three Rivers has 10 teams and plays 8 conference games.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Titan32 said:

I think Boonville wanted to be the "new" Jasper....you can build a lot of "tradition" being the big fish in a little pond.

Only if your not getting your arse kicked by the smaller schools. 

17 minutes ago, 2017statechamps said:

The Hoosier conference has 10 teams.  You play a 4 game conference schedule and then on week 9 you play against the same team in your standings spot ie. if you are 3rd place in your group of 5, you play the other group of 5 3rd place.

North Central conference has 10 teams and plays a 7 game conference schedule with 2 non-con games.  I believe all the teams have start conference play on week 3.

Northeast Corner has 10 teams, and i really cant tell you how they decide their conference schedule other than they each play 4 conference games.

The Summit(FW) has 10 teams and play a full conference schedule.

Three Rivers has 10 teams and plays 8 conference games.

I did some looking and it was the Summit or SAC that I was referring to. There is an older thread on here about it...essentially though they are saying that “teams” want to better prepare for the playoffs with out of conference games. But a few members there are saying it’s pretty much just snider, the largest school.

fort Wayne and Evansville are very comparable cities in many aspects so I find this even more interesting

9 hours ago, Titan32 said:

I think Boonville wanted to be the "new" Jasper....you can build a lot of "tradition" being the big fish in a little pond.

I thought about this the other day...and I’m not up on everything Boonville, but seriously, do they even win the conference in ANY sport?? Softball?? Wrestling ?? Cause we sure as heck know it won’t happen in football...basketball no...baseball nope. 

8 hours ago, Butkus said:

Bottom line easier scheduling for the AD in all sports. Football no scheduling headachs, baseball/softball playing each team twice already 18 games scheduled, basketball will be the toughest but at least 9 games already set. Other sports not sure how big the schedule is but two less opponents to have to find now. This is not a knock on the SIAC’s AD’s, I think they do a great job but it does take some of the preasure off if them. That all being said I would still rather play in a conferance where I have no flexibility in my football schedule. 

53 minutes ago, jets said:

I thought about this the other day...and I’m not up on everything Boonville, but seriously, do they even win the conference in ANY sport?? Softball?? Wrestling ?? Cause we sure as heck know it won’t happen in football...basketball no...baseball nope. 

Softball team has made multiple trips to state i believe.  Outside of that, i do not know.  By the way, Boonville beat SR baseball this year, so we probably shouldnt bash their baseball team.....

9 hours ago, Butkus said:

A lot of schools already play Jasper and Lincoln in multiple sports, so adding them as a conference opponent isn't all that big of a change.  I think the biggest benefit is what some have already said, it makes scheduling football easier and brings in 2 schools that have good athletic programs overall.  As I've said previously, I would have preferred Jasper and Boonville or Jasper and Gibson Southern, but I'm fine with Lincoln too.   I do know several SIAC schools have had problems scheduling non-conference opponents in football at times.  I know we have, in part because other conferences don't always use Weeks 1 & 2 for non-conference opponents.  Jasper is definitely a good gate addition for football and basketball, which are the only consistent gate revenue sports for most schools.  As an example, Jasper will be a better football gate draw for Reitz than Henderson County.  Mater Dei currently plays Indian Creek and Whiting in non-conference football, so this move will save them travel costs and I suspect both Jasper and Lincoln will travel better than either of those 2.  At this point, I'm not a fan of adding 2 more schools and going to 2 divisions.  

1 hour ago, tango said:

A lot of schools already play Jasper and Lincoln in multiple sports, so adding them as a conference opponent isn't all that big of a change.  I think the biggest benefit is what some have already said, it makes scheduling football easier and brings in 2 schools that have good athletic programs overall.  As I've said previously, I would have preferred Jasper and Boonville or Jasper and Gibson Southern, but I'm fine with Lincoln too.   I do know several SIAC schools have had problems scheduling non-conference opponents in football at times.  I know we have, in part because other conferences don't always use Weeks 1 & 2 for non-conference opponents.  Jasper is definitely a good gate addition for football and basketball, which are the only consistent gate revenue sports for most schools.  As an example, Jasper will be a better football gate draw for Reitz than Henderson County.  Mater Dei currently plays Indian Creek and Whiting in non-conference football, so this move will save them travel costs and I suspect both Jasper and Lincoln will travel better than either of those 2.  At this point, I'm not a fan of adding 2 more schools and going to 2 divisions.  

Just my obsevation but the last two times Jasper played Reitz in the Bowl their crowd was not very impressive. Both were sectional games.

3 hours ago, jets said:

Me either but I think they have been really good at softball over the years.  Don’t quote me on that.

On 3/5/2019 at 5:41 PM, DumfriesYMCA said:

Will be interesting to see how this vote goes.....1 of 2 things will happen

1) this thread blows up because it was passed and we debate this for the next 5 years

2) we come back next year for the 6th year in a row I believe and talk about if it will ever happen 

Well we have an answer. And I’m sure we will debate this conference shake up including the SIAC shake up for 5 years 

Football has to be broke down as big and small division doesnt it? If so I think the new PAC would be better for the teams that want to make their selves better come tourney time. We will see by how the teams schedule their non divisonal games.

I don’t think this was HH or GS’s 1st choice, but here we are.  If not the SIAC I wish GS and HH would have joined the Big 8 with Jasper and VL.  Then maybe Tecumseh and North Knox could have filled out the PAC.  

Moving forward will Tecumseh play in the PAC in the small division?  Big school PAC teams will now have 4 non conference games.  With Southport filling 1 of GS’s spots, it will be interesting to see who the other 3 are.  SIAC teams might not be options if they play a true conference schedule.  SR or NP could provide good gates.  These options are the true benefit of this new alignment for GS.

I heard GS non conference will be Southport, Southridge, Henderson County...

just what I heard

1 hour ago, Titan20 said:

I don’t think this was HH or GS’s 1st choice, but here we are.  If not the SIAC I wish GS and HH would have joined the Big 8 with Jasper and VL.  Then maybe Tecumseh and North Knox could have filled out the PAC.  

Moving forward will Tecumseh play in the PAC in the small division?  Big school PAC teams will now have 4 non conference games.  With Southport filling 1 of GS’s spots, it will be interesting to see who the other 3 are.  SIAC teams might not be options if they play a true conference schedule.  SR or NP could provide good gates.  These options are the true benefit of this new alignment for GS.

Tecumseh does not want to be in the small division either.

9 minutes ago, Cappy said:

I heard GS non conference will be Southport, Southridge, Henderson County...

just what I heard

Tecumseh does not want to be in the small division either.

If I sm counting right that would leave them with one more opening correct?