Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Big 8 will be down to 6 teams.

4 hours ago, DaveMosbey said:

Any clue how they plan on doing football ?? Divisions again ??

If this was voted on yesterday how did it go on without someone leaking it ahead of time again ?

Wow...knew it was coming, but still hard to believe. Let’s make the 40th and final season of the Big 8 a good one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, reitzguy said:

If I sm counting right that would leave them with one more opening correct?

Yes GS would have one cross-over (Maybe SR) and 3 non-conference games.  One of the three would probably remain Southport.  The week one and week two games are probably unknown at this point but might include:

Columbus North, Bloomington South, Henderson KY,  New Albany, Owensboro or Clarksville TN.

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/06/05/pocket-athletic-conference-schools-ok-football-league-merger-big-eight-vote-next/3501253002/

Edited by Titan32

For GS this may work out better than perceived initially

boonville (4A) Princeton, Mt Vernon, Washington, Heritage Hills (3A) in conference. Out of conference Southport (6A) Southridge (2A, but playing in 3A) and the potential to have Henderson County/New Albany/Bloomington South/possibly others

thats a pretty good shake imo 

Edited by DumfriesYMCA

9 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Yes GS would have one cross-over (Maybe SR) and 3 non-conference games.  One of the three would probably remain Southport.  The week one and week two games are probably unknown at this point but might include:

Columbus North, Bloomington South, Henderson KY,  New Albany, Owensboro or Clarksville TN.

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/06/05/pocket-athletic-conference-schools-ok-football-league-merger-big-eight-vote-next/3501253002/

With these scheduling possibilities it looks to me like Coach Hart is not afraid to play a tough schedule. That can only make the program stronger. So you have a 3a school wanting to play 5 and 6a teams and a 4a school wanting to play 2 and 3a schools. Will never make sence to me.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, reitzguy said:

With these scheduling possibilities it looks to me like Coach Hart is not afraid to play a tough schedule. That can only make the program stronger. So you have a 3a school wanting to play 5 and 6a teams and a 4a school wanting to play 2 and 3a schools. Will never make sence to me.

I'm guessing you are talking about Boonville playing 2A teams?  Unless they make it mandatory to schedule to small school  teams, Boonville wont be forced to play any 2A teams.  I'd say they would want to play SR though.

"A logical representation of the large-school division on the gridiron is Boonville, Washington, Gibson Southern, Princeton, Mount Vernon and Heritage Hills. Realistically forming the small-school division would be Pike Central, Southridge, North Posey, Tell City, South Spencer and Forest Park."

It seems as if this would be something that would still need to be officially decided on, but this suggestion sure makes sense. If you are one of the schools in the small school division not named Southridge, you have to like this a lot, especially in football. I think it gives you the opportunity to compete with anyone in your division and schedule to benefit you in your non-conference.  

1 hour ago, 2017statechamps said:

I'm guessing you are talking about Boonville playing 2A teams?  Unless they make it mandatory to schedule to small school  teams, Boonville wont be forced to play any 2A teams.  I'd say they would want to play SR though.

Nobody was forcing Boonville to play any 2A schools this next year but it looks like that is what they went and got for their non-conference games.

Aug. 23Washington 3A 

Aug. 30atVincennes Lincoln 3A 

Sep. 6Jasper 4A 

Sep. 13North Knox 2A

Sep. 20atLinton-Stockton 2A

Sep. 27Mount Vernon (Posey) 3A 

Oct. 4atPrinceton 3A 

Oct. 11atSouth Spencer 2A

9 minutes ago, Sacked said:

Nobody was forcing Boonville to play any 2A schools this next year but it looks like that is what they went and got for their non-conference games.

Aug. 23Washington 3A 

Aug. 30atVincennes Lincoln 3A 

Sep. 6Jasper 4A 

Sep. 13North Knox 2A

Sep. 20atLinton-Stockton 2A

Sep. 27Mount Vernon (Posey) 3A 

Oct. 4atPrinceton 3A 

Oct. 11atSouth Spencer 2A

I rest my case. If this wasnt their plan all along they would have joined the big boys. Hope it works out for them. Cant respect a program that doesnt look to better themselves.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Screagle said:

Sounds like Boonville feels it has a better chance to compete for PAC title than competing with bottom half of SIAC. Just crazy IMO!!

Seems about right if you saw last year’s sectional. The best Boonville team in a generation needed to score a last minute touchdown to beat Bosse - who went 1-6 in the SIAC.

That result probably scared them from joining. 

Edit: I guess if I read the article first, I would have seen that probably was true! My bad. 

Edited by oldtimeqb

5 minutes ago, Screagle said:

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/06/06/boonville-high-school-ad-we-were-never-comfortable-joining-southern-indiana-athletic-conference/1366802001/

Sounds like Boonville feels it has a better chance to compete for PAC title than competing with bottom half of SIAC. Just crazy IMO!!

That article suggests that there will be 2 crossover games....with 1 being week 9 as a battle of division champs all the way down to 6th.

i certainly support having the division winners face each other.  But I wouldn’t want 2 games. Would create the possibility of facing the same team 2 times in the same season.  Should just be week 9: 1v1 2v2 3v3 and so on. 

Let the schools choose who they play. If they want to play a team in the other division so be it...but don’t force them to do as such 

3 minutes ago, johnathanspencer said:

If I missed this I am sorry but is this for ALL sports or just football?  Info is getting buried in this thread and I can't keep up.

All sports... Actually 13 teams all sports and 12 for football with Tecumseh remaining independent in football.

3 minutes ago, johnathanspencer said:

If I missed this I am sorry but is this for ALL sports or just football?  Info is getting buried in this thread and I can't keep up.

All sports by all accounts. 

Jasper and VL are joining the SIAC in all sports which would leave 4 teams for the BIG8. Boonville apparently considered going independent over joining the SIAC.  

Im not sure if any of the other sports will do divisions or just football

49 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

That article suggests that there will be 2 crossover games....with 1 being week 9 as a battle of division champs all the way down to 6th.

i certainly support having the division winners face each other.  But I wouldn’t want 2 games. Would create the possibility of facing the same team 2 times in the same season.  Should just be week 9: 1v1 2v2 3v3 and so on. 

Let the schools choose who they play. If they want to play a team in the other division so be it...but don’t force them to do as such 

I hope they don't adopt the week 9 playoffs. for 1 thing with 2  Non Conference in weeks 1 or 2  unless the 3rd was in week 8 you wouldn't  know who you were playing week 9 until the week 8 games were final.

Also with Southridge still being 3A by success the first year this takes place if HH or GS would schedule Southridge as a crossover game it would be possible to not only play twice but 3 times.  Once in the crossover over game before week 9, again in the week 9 playoff and again in sectional. GS / SR would be more likely because we will be hammered by graduation after the 2019 season.

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Teams will have the choice on crossover or non-conference.

Sounds like Bville based there whole decision on football because thry cant hang with the SIAC. I really thought they were going in the right direction when they hired their new coach a couple years but I was wrong. They are going backwards instead of trying to get better. Good luck in the PAC and I am glad you didnt join the SIAC. We want teams that know the can win. That article made Bville football program look really bad. Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

What a message sent out from the Boonville AD and football coach in this article. 

“We almost got beat by a bottom-tier team in the SIAC in Bosse, who was very good but plays a tough schedule,” said Davis, referring to his school’s 42-35 win in which it once trailed by 21. “We had the best year we’ve had in 15-20 years, and then to think we would’ve been competing against that every year? From a participation standpoint, we would’ve lost a lot of kids going to the SIAC knowing we weren’t going to have an opportunity to fight for a conference title. That’s bad for our school and our community.

“We were never comfortable with it." - Boonville AD Kevin Davis .... but am sure Coach Ward was the main decision maker. 

What a message to send out to your school and community. We know we can't compete with 4 of the 7 teams in our sectional (plus we just beat Jasper for the first time since 2004 this year.... how could you ever do any better than that!!!!). We just want to play for regular season conference titles with teams that are all small than us. That's something for the players and parents of Boonville to get excited about. Why even play in the section just forfeit the games and play only the regular season games. That's something to get behind go Boonville!!!!!

18 minutes ago, SWFootballfan said:

What a message sent out from the Boonville AD and football coach in this article. 

“We almost got beat by a bottom-tier team in the SIAC in Bosse, who was very good but plays a tough schedule,” said Davis, referring to his school’s 42-35 win in which it once trailed by 21. “We had the best year we’ve had in 15-20 years, and then to think we would’ve been competing against that every year? From a participation standpoint, we would’ve lost a lot of kids going to the SIAC knowing we weren’t going to have an opportunity to fight for a conference title. That’s bad for our school and our community.

“We were never comfortable with it." - Boonville AD Kevin Davis .... but am sure Coach Ward was the main decision maker. 

What a message to send out to your school and community. We know we can't compete with 4 of the 7 teams in our sectional (plus we just beat Jasper for the first time since 2004 this year.... how could you ever do any better than that!!!!). We just want to play for regular season conference titles with teams that are all small than us. That's something for the players and parents of Boonville to get excited about. Why even play in the section just forfeit the games and play only the regular season games. That's something to get behind go Boonville!!!!!

We are on the same page. This makes Bville look so bad.

Why would a kid want to play for a staff and athletic department that doesn’t think they want or can compete in SIAC.  GS gets punished because a team is scared of a consistent challenge.  Still can’t believe some of the quotes in that article  

• Like 2

I’m just kind of blown away with how Boonville has handled this whole thing. And this article is the cherry on top.

They were in the same boat as Jasper. Both 4A schools with similar enrollments playing in the same sectional with Evansville schools as their competition. They were given a golden opportunity to prepare for said sectional on a yearly basis and declined because of one single contest against a Bosse team who was capable catching anyone(outside the SIAC top tier)off guard in 2018.

And surely they knew that had they joined with GS, it would have forced the conference to split into divisions and that they would’ve ended up in the small division? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SWFootballfan said:

We are on the same page. This makes Bville look so bad.

1 hour ago, SEAL_63 said:

And surely they knew that had they joined with GS, it would have forced the conference to split into divisions and that they would’ve ended up in the small division? 

The rumors I heard suggested the SIAC was going to split east-west down 41 (roughly). Boonville, Jasper, Castle, Harrison, Bosse, and Memorial to the east.  Vincennes, Gibson Southern, North, Reitz, Central, and Mater Dei to the west. That’s fairly balanced in terms of school size, if you consider Memorial is 3A by enrollment. 

It’s all a moot point now.