Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Big 8 will be down to 6 teams.

I would assume (dangerous) that NP/Mt. Vernon would want to play, Jasper/SR, and other traditional rivalries simply due to the gate/concessions involved.  Even though it isn't all about the money these rivalry games generate an enormous amount of money for the home teams.  HH/SS would most likely still want to play as well I would think.

Just now, johnathanspencer said:

I would assume (dangerous) that NP/Mt. Vernon would want to play, Jasper/SR, and other traditional rivalries simply due to the gate/concessions involved.  Even though it isn't all about the money these rivalry games generate an enormous amount of money for the home teams.  HH/SS would most likely still want to play as well I would think.

Should be easy to pull off.

1 minute ago, johnathanspencer said:

Problem will be with the schools in the big division.  They only have 2 openings.  Jasper already plays Memorial and I would think they would want to keep that and would have to make decisions on their last non-conference game.  Same with HH I guess.  Do they normally play Jasper also?

Yeah HH plays Jasper. And GS will have a non-conference with Southport.

Edited by Titan32

The more I look at this I am realizing that big school division will be a meat grinder!  With Jasper being down the last few years and how stronger GS is and how HH seems to be bouncing back and VL on rise as well as Boonville this is a pretty tough division all of a sudden.  Poor Washington/Princeton.  They better get better!

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

Well said, and an admirable position to take...however, do you feel your position aligns with that of the SR admin?

Trust me- I’m not important enough for anyone to listen to. If I were, these “backroom” dealings and shenanigans would have been nipped in the butt a long time ago. And NP would have been reprimanded for acting as such. But alas, once the wheels are set in motion it’s a tough train to stop. Just don’t understand why we fee the need to come to the aid of another conference falling apart- 

Is Tecumseh for sure in on this if not SR could play all the same teams they do now, and Titan32 as for as the banner thing you can have all the conference ones you want as long as we have the 1982, 2002, 2006 state finalist and 2017 sate champs we are fine with them, just joking with you. Truth be known if we don't play the Jasper, HH, GS teams and the Evansville Central teams (early 2000's) we don't make these post season runs there the games that get us ready for week 10 and beyond, they are the games win or lose that make us, that is why I didn't like it when I first read this I didn't want to lose them games.

25 minutes ago, jets said:

Trust me- I’m not important enough for anyone to listen to. If I were, these “backroom” dealings and shenanigans would have been nipped in the butt a long time ago. And NP would have been reprimanded for acting as such. But alas, once the wheels are set in motion it’s a tough train to stop. Just don’t understand why we fee the need to come to the aid of another conference falling apart- 

I don't look at it as coming to the aid of another conference, I look at it as making better football. Do you really enjoy going to games that you win by 50+ points? In my opinion it will make the teams from southern Indiana better prepared for the tournament, plus it could also grow the smaller schools team size when kids realize they have a shot at competing in games. 

On 2/15/2019 at 2:16 PM, JQWL said:

So under the new proposal, would the small division teams never play the bigger division teams? I almost feel if you want to consider yourself part of the same conference, you should play 1 or 2 of the opposing division on a rotating basis.

This is my question as well?  If the “small” division never plays the “big” division, why even call that the same conference? 

Just make the “big” division the Big 8?  The small division the PAC? 

Big 8 

jasper , Boonville, Heritage Hills, Vincennes, Washington, Gibson Southern, Southridge, Mt Vernon. 

PAC 

Forest Park, Tell City, Princeton, Tecumseh, North Posey, South Spencer, Pike Central 

Mayne switch Mt Vernon & Princeton. 

2 hours ago, MERLIN88 said:

This is my question as well?  If the “small” division never plays the “big” division, why even call that the same conference? 

Just make the “big” division the Big 8?  The small division the PAC? 

Big 8 

jasper , Boonville, Heritage Hills, Vincennes, Washington, Gibson Southern, Southridge, Mt Vernon. 

PAC 

Forest Park, Tell City, Princeton, Tecumseh, North Posey, South Spencer, Pike Central 

Mayne switch Mt Vernon & Princeton. 

My understanding is that this is a PAC proposal and only effects football.  Don’t know why some folks are caught up on the 2 division aspect, why does it matter?  You can call them Ketchup and Mustard, the affiliation and  administration will lie with the PAC.  It’s my understanding SR strongly desires to be in the small division which is fine...the proposal is 100% enrollment based.  GS fans...from what I can gather...are excited.  I think you will find many inter-division matchups as part of the non “conference/division”  schedule.

Edited by Titan32

42 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

My understanding is that this is a PAC proposal and only effects football.  Don’t know why some folks are caught up on the 2 division aspect, why does it matter?  You can call them Ketchup and Mustard, the affiliation and  administration will lie with the PAC.  It’s my understanding SR strongly desires to be in the small division which is fine...the proposal is 100% enrollment based.  GS fans...from what I can gather...are excited.  I think you will find many inter-division matchups as part of the non “conference/division”  schedule.

You are 100% incorrect if you think some Big 8 teams didn’t play a role in these dealings as well. The end product may be a deal that works out and/or people can live with it- but I’m telling you the way it went about was SHADY and in my opinion, unprofessional. 

43 minutes ago, jets said:

You are 100% incorrect if you think some Big 8 teams didn’t play a role in these dealings as well. The end product may be a deal that works out and/or people can live with it- but I’m telling you the way it went about was SHADY and in my opinion, unprofessional. 

Agree they did their part..ie lobbying etc.  Honestly I didn’t think anyone at HH or SR would like this deal...why I said (before I had more info.) that I thought this thing would not fly.

2 hours ago, Miner_Pride said:

LInton has enjoyed playing Southridge the last two years starting the season... course... we've lost both time plus another meeting in post-season... but will this new alignment possibly end our series? 

I don’t know about SR but I believe you may have Boonville replaced by another team...

6 hours ago, Miner_Pride said:

LInton has enjoyed playing Southridge the last two years starting the season... course... we've lost both time plus another meeting in post-season... but will this new alignment possibly end our series? 

I haven’t gotten to see the entirety of schedules yet, but, if this merger does happen, and the split happens as is being said here, and if Tecumseh does come back into the fold, and they do try to keep schedules as close to what they currently are, along with established rivalries, I believe that Linton would be off the SR schedule with the boys from Huntingburg playing non-con against Jasper (wk 2), Heritage Hills (wk 7), and Gibson Southern (wk 9). Tecumseh would be the new edition to the schedule, and considering that SR doesn’t have to swap anyone from their current schedule for conference play, Tecumseh would most likely slide into the week one game with SR. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SouthernFan said:

I still can't see Tecumseh wanting to come back, they left for a reason so why now would they want to come back? 

I'm going to guess it is to simplify scheduling. They currently schedule Pike Central, North Posey, and Forest Park, so those 3 would remain the same. They would replace  3 of North Daviess, North Knox, Perry Central, Springs Valley, and Crawford County with Southridge, Tell City, and South Spencer. Scheduling is difficult in 1A and 2A so I'm guessing this is part of the motivation.

On 2/18/2019 at 3:06 PM, TransplantedPanther said:

I haven’t gotten to see the entirety of schedules yet, but, if this merger does happen, and the split happens as is being said here, and if Tecumseh does come back into the fold, and they do try to keep schedules as close to what they currently are, along with established rivalries, I believe that Linton would be off the SR schedule with the boys from Huntingburg playing non-con against Jasper (wk 2), Heritage Hills (wk 7), and Gibson Southern (wk 9). Tecumseh would be the new edition to the schedule, and considering that SR doesn’t have to swap anyone from their current schedule for conference play, Tecumseh would most likely slide into the week one game with SR. 

That assumes GS wants their second non-conference game as a game with SR. (1st being Southport).  Who knows what the staff would like, but more than a few fans would like to see them go out look for something else.

38 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

That assumes GS wants their second non-conference game as a game with SR. (1st being Southport).  Who knows what the staff would like, but more than a few fans would like to see them go out look for something else.

Ohhh there is definitely 1 conference just to the south that I’m sure everyone wants to see GS play 😉

9 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Ohhh there is definitely 1 conference just to the south that I’m sure everyone wants to see GS play 😉

Problem is they play week 1 and 2...I don’t think that the PAC schedules are going to be radically changed...I could be wrong.