Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Big 8 will be down to 6 teams.

On 2/15/2019 at 2:18 PM, Titan32 said:

Keep in mind the 7 team division gives them 3 non-conference games to work with. They could play Jasper, HH and GS or Linton.

20 hours ago, Titan32 said:

That assumes GS wants their second non-conference game as a game with SR. (1st being Southport).  Who knows what the staff would like, but more than a few fans would like to see them go out look for something else.

So, I am assuming that this snarky remark is being made because I bleed blue. Hey, that’s fine pal. Just don’t talk out of both sides of your mouth buddy. You say one thing, then come back at me for answering a question and and having some kind of audacity to suggest that Southridge would play GS in football. How dare I? Well, I’m glad that Southridge fans can see how you feel about their team. But please, drop them in week 9. Would love to see who you might get to replace them there. I hear Bowman Academy has an opening week 9 this year. Maybe that spot will still be open when this merger happens.

Get over it already. 

1 hour ago, TransplantedPanther said:

So, I am assuming that this snarky remark is being made because I bleed blue. Hey, that’s fine pal. Just don’t talk out of both sides of your mouth buddy. You say one thing, then come back at me for answering a question and and having some kind of audacity to suggest that Southridge would play GS in football. How dare I? Well, I’m glad that Southridge fans can see how you feel about their team. But please, drop them in week 9. Would love to see who you might get to replace them there. I hear Bowman Academy has an opening week 9 this year. Maybe that spot will still be open when this merger happens.

Get over it already. 

It wasn’t intended to be snarky at all.  I was just pointing out that your comment makes that assumption...and there are fans who probably would vote either way.

40 minutes ago, Screagle said:

TransplantedPanther, my friend, Titan32 not of fan of Reitz football or any team in SIAC for that matter. GS has become the new gold standard in SW Indiana and others need to recognize it. 

I actually have a couple kids on Memorial I supported this post season.  I have close ties to Castle and have cheered hard for a couple kids there in recent seasons.  One of my closest friends was on the Central staff this season and I am friends with Andy and his Dad.  I have also worked several camps with Coach Schnur and consider him a friend...he does a great job.  

That said some of the SIAC fans on here who constantly go after the top PAC teams because they “don’t play play anybody” .  These guys certainly make clear their knowledge of the sport very effectively.  Not to mention thier innate  ability to breathe through their mouth.  The sun certainly doesn’t rise and set in the SOS of the SIAC over the past decade...not even close.  That’s really my only issue.  

I’m guessing my comment in the other thread about teams one likes to root against got someone’s panties in a wad.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cappy said:

I don’t believe you will see GS/SR in week 9 in 2020

And ?? I don't think you'll see NP/GS, SS/GS, TC/GS, FP/GS either. 

Find it interesting that I read in another thread that Gibson "supposedly" tried to schedule MD in an effort to "strengthen" their schedule...yet want to drop SR? Hmm...pretty sure SR has a pretty good track record vs. MD the past 20 years or so....dare I even say a winning record?? But, must be an SIAC bias type of thing. Whatever, they don't think we're good enough, then fine. 

9 hours ago, Cappy said:

I don’t believe you will see GS/SR in week 9 in 2020

I think what Cappy is saying is that if the proposal is for the big schools to play non-conference weeks one and two and the small schools to also play non-conference weeks one and two plus some random week.  It will be impossible for GS and SR to play in 2020 because they will undoubtedly play HH and Jasper weeks one and two. If Southport can’t play GS in weeks one or two a couple SIAC teams might be in order for GS.

6 minutes ago, jets said:

And ?? I don't think you'll see NP/GS, SS/GS, TC/GS, FP/GS either. 

Find it interesting that I read in another thread that Gibson "supposedly" tried to schedule MD in an effort to "strengthen" their schedule...yet want to drop SR? Hmm...pretty sure SR has a pretty good track record vs. MD the past 20 years or so....dare I even say a winning record?? But, must be an SIAC bias type of thing. Whatever, they don't think we're good enough, then fine. 

I think a LOT of fans would enjoy continuing to play Southridge.  It has been really fun in the Hart era.

Just my 2 cents, if or when a Big8/PAC merger happens. These teams would be foolish not to open up weeks 1&2 for non-conference games. 

Top to bottom the SIAC offers potential opponents that offer either great traditions or dynamic team speed. Just show up at the Evansville track sectional if you need confirmation.

Playing Bosse the last few years in the sectional, it has taken us a half of football to adjust. Just can't simulate that in practice.

Working together we can strive to elevate Southwestern Indiana football as a whole, or continue to let smaller programs continue to get beat down and eventually fold programs because of low participation numbers.

Let's be open to the fact, when all schools have some type of level of success, it's good for everyone. No one wants to be the 0-10 or 1-9 team. Let's open the doors for those looking for winnable games and those looking to test their limits.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, 1984 said:

Just my 2 cents, if or when a Big8/PAC merger happens. These teams would be foolish not to open up weeks 1&2 for non-conference games. 

Top to bottom the SIAC offers potential opponents that offer either great traditions or dynamic team speed. Just show up at the Evansville track sectional if you need confirmation.

Playing Bosse the last few years in the sectional, it has taken us a half of football to adjust. Just can't simulate that in practice.

Working together we can strive to elevate Southwestern Indiana football as a whole, or continue to let smaller programs continue to get beat down and eventually fold programs because of low participation numbers.

Let's be open to the fact, when all schools have some type of level of success, it's good for everyone. No one wants to be the 0-10 or 1-9 team. Let's open the doors for those looking for winnable games and those looking to test their limits.

Lots of thumbs up to this!  My guess is that weeks 1 and 2 will be open as part of the proposal.  That said, there has been all this talk on what the PAC schools think about this deal etc., how do the Big8 schools feel?  I don’t mean the fans....are there any Admins or coaches in the Big 8 opposed to the proposal?

2 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Lots of thumbs up to this!  My guess is that weeks 1 and 2 will be open as part of the proposal.  That said, there has been all this talk on what the PAC schools think about this deal etc., how do the Big8 schools feel?  I don’t mean the fans....are there any Admins or coaches in the Big 8 opposed to the proposal?

Above my pay grade to answer in depth.

I do have a few insights though. All Big 8 members are aware that the thought of scheduling 4 non-conference games for football could be a logistical nightmare.

I believe the Big8 would rather try and rectify the situation as a group rather than try to go it alone and disband.

The initiative was brought to the table in a way to show benefits to all involved. 

Tecumseh I feel is the one being drug along with the least to gain. They being the smallest by 25% or so of the next smallest school. They have found a workable schedule that's best for their 1A program. Not sure why they would want to change.

Would someone like to make an argument for Boonville to maybe joining the SIAC? They already have 1 Warrick county school in the SIAC and from a size standpoint they are not that far off from everyone. In my opinion I can see them competing in most sports and Boonville people want to play Castle again in football and this would force it to happen. 

4 hours ago, 1984 said:

I do have a few insights though. All Big 8 members are aware that the thought of scheduling 4 non-conference games for football could be a logistical nightmare.

I believe the Big8 would rather try and rectify the situation as a group rather than try to go it alone and disband.

The initiative was brought to the table in a way to show benefits to all involved. 

Tecumseh I feel is the one being drug along with the least to gain. They being the smallest by 25% or so of the next smallest school. They have found a workable schedule that's best for their 1A program. Not sure why they would want to change.

I was thinking more along the lines of Washington or even Mt. Vernon might not be thrilled about being placed in the big school division.

2 hours ago, SouthernFan said:

Would someone like to make an argument for Boonville to maybe joining the SIAC? They already have 1 Warrick county school in the SIAC and from a size standpoint they are not that far off from everyone. In my opinion I can see them competing in most sports and Boonville people want to play Castle again in football and this would force it to happen. 

It could also happen (Castle/ Boonville) as part of this Big8/PAC merger.

When I was a coach in the Big 8 one of my biggest issues was the strength of schedule due to the teams in the conference. I am not sure what decision will be made but the bottom line is you have to take the other sports in for consideration. I know we focus on football but what about wrestling, basketball, baseball, track, volleyball etc. I think the ADs will have a lot to think about, more than just football.

51 minutes ago, Coach_K said:

When I was a coach in the Big 8 one of my biggest issues was the strength of schedule due to the teams in the conference. I am not sure what decision will be made but the bottom line is you have to take the other sports in for consideration. I know we focus on football but what about wrestling, basketball, baseball, track, volleyball etc. I think the ADs will have a lot to think about, more than just football.

This particular proposal is only for football and won’t effect anything with the other sports.  I assume the Big 8 will stay intact for the other sports and will have to look for a replacement for Mt. Carmel in all of the other sports schedules.

4 hours ago, Coach_K said:

Sadly, I would have to agree with that assessment in regards to football over the last decade. Boonville and VL have seen somewhat of a resurgence the past two seasons, but neither have a sectional title in that time. Jasper and MC have been a shell of their 2000’s selves, and MV, Princeton, Washington are consistently bad (save for a mediocre campaign here or there).

It goes without saying that this potential merger would only help Big 8 teams with SOS. And if you’re GS, HH, SR you have to like the idea of trading SS, PC, TC for Jasper, Lincoln, Boonville. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SEAL_63 said:

Sadly, I would have to agree with that assessment in regards to football over the last decade. Boonville and VL have seen somewhat of a resurgence the past two seasons, but neither have a sectional title in that time. Jasper and MC have been a shell of their 2000’s selves, and MV, Princeton, Washington are consistently bad (save for a mediocre campaign here or there).

It goes without saying that this potential merger would only help Big 8 teams with SOS. And if you’re GS, HH, SR you have to like the idea of trading SS, PC, TC for Jasper, Lincoln, Boonville. 

Technically SR would keep that schedule. 

For the most part though, at least for me, it’s hit and miss with who I like and who i don’t. 

My personal opinion....

i think the proposal helps the likes of a lot of teams.  Namely Tell City who always seems to be on the cusp of a team that could do great things. 

Pike central and forest park I think will love this too. I’m sure pike central would appreciate not being a homecoming stomping for some teams and would like to find some middle ground.  Forest park I think would too. 

Im not sure on south Spencer. Personally love their true to heart football field with no track. But I understand that they may wish to move to a smaller school schedule that fits them more. 

Southridge i think wins big with this. 

Heritage hills and GS win and lose. They get an upgrade in SoS and that bodes well for the two teams with how successful they have shown to be. On the other hand, maybe not in the immediate future but the future none the less, what may happen if the programs have an off year. What will the fans think?  Will there be cries for going back?

just a quick list as what I think rolls out of this if it happens

winners:

Gibson Southern, Heritage Hills, Vincennes, Booneville, Southridge, Tell city 

losers:

Princeton, Washington, Jasper, Mt Vernon 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 11:59 AM, 1984 said:

Tecumseh already plays North Posey, Pike Central, and Forest Park. Replacing the current schedule with South Spencer and Tell City is not a big difference. Southridge is the only team that is year to year going to be a big jump in competition.

7 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

For the most part though, at least for me, it’s hit and miss with who I like and who i don’t. 

My personal opinion....

i think the proposal helps the likes of a lot of teams.  Namely Tell City who always seems to be on the cusp of a team that could do great things. 

Pike central and forest park I think will love this too. I’m sure pike central would appreciate not being a homecoming stomping for some teams and would like to find some middle ground.  Forest park I think would too. 

Im not sure on south Spencer. Personally love their true to heart football field with no track. But I understand that they may wish to move to a smaller school schedule that fits them more. 

Heritage hills and GS win and lose. They get an upgrade in SoS and that bodes well for the two teams with how successful they have shown to be. On the other hand, maybe not in the immediate future but the future none the less, what may happen if the programs have an off year. What will the fans think?  Will there be cries for going back?

winners:

losers:

Why do you see Jasper as a loser here?  Are you saying they have always enjoyed being a big fish in a little pond?

10 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

My personal opinion....

winners:

losers:

If 4 of the big 8 teams are losers in the proposal, why would they want it? 

4 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Why do you see Jasper as a loser here?  Are you saying they have always enjoyed being a big fish in a little pond?

Now this is just my humble opinion but the last few years I personally believe are something to be of a bigger picture so to speak.  I have the gut feeling jasper is over the hill already and this  change will make it more difficult for them to comeback to being the top dog.  Just my opinion

1 hour ago, Titan76 said:

If 4 of the big 8 teams are losers in the proposal, why would they want it? 

Outside of what I said about jasper just above, Princeton, Washington, and Mt. Vernon all just make their schedules that much harder. Adding Gibson Southern and Heritage Hills to the mix(granted Princeton and GS already play each other). 

Maybe im seeing this the wrong way in that a tougher schedule helps these teams...regardless. Those 4 teams have find another gear if they wish to compete with how the other teams are doing

But hey you know what they say...opinions are like ________. Everyone’s got one. Maybe mine stinks? Lol

21 minutes ago, Screagle said:

YMCA I disagree with Jasper over the hill. They have a couple.500 seasons and their done?  

Just asking....so are GS fans now of the belief that regular season SOS is beneficial? 

I don’t think Gs fans have ever felt that’s SoS isn’t beneficial. But ya know...it gets old when you read and hear “you don’t play anybody” especially when the program is trying their best to work with the schedule they have.  

• Like 1