Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Big 8 will be down to 6 teams.

22 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

I might get it now.  District play in IL actually starts 2021.  The Big 8 feels it was being “nice” giving everyone a year to prepare for that by setting a 2020 date.  MC is basically saying screw you guys...you expect us to go out and make a bunch of one year deals?  We will just pull out now.

Yeah, nobody is looking to make a one year deal unless they are going to be the home team! 

1 hour ago, Bcaster said:

I’d be extremely surprised if the merger was moved up any sooner as a result of yesterday’s news. You’re talking about trying to mesh 15 different football schedules. That’s a significant undertaking.

I would argue doing the merger now would make scheduling must less complex at least for the Big 8 teams.  The only real challenge in my mind is the existing contacts, particularly on the non-conference side, that both Big 8 and PAC schools would have to walk away from.

13 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

I would argue doing the merger now would make scheduling must less complex at least for the Big 8 teams.  The only real challenge in my mind is the existing contacts, particularly on the non-conference side, that both Big 8 and PAC schools would have to walk away from.

The only one Jasper has to walk away from would be Memorial.  They already play HH and Southridge

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

I hate you edit timer.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

I would agree with this since MC is leaving now. It will be hard for the Big 8 teams to find a one year team to fill the void from MC. 

1 hour ago, johnathanspencer said:

Will this new conference still be called the PAC?  I know this change affects football only though.

It is not a merger nor is it a new conference, the Big 8 schools would be joining the PAC for football. The PAC decided if that is going to happen they will do a large school and small school division of the PAC, this is my understanding...

On 3/7/2019 at 1:58 PM, Titan32 said:

So glad this day has finally come. Always dreaded going across the Wabash to play. No visiting locker rooms, and they have less visitor seating at the football stadium than their basketball arena. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 12:56 PM, SWFootballfan said:

I hear the Big 8 Athletic Directors are meeting today. I am not sure if they are voting but I am sure that the main topic will be football from what I am told. I am pretty sure most are in favor. The only two schools that I could see voting no would be Mt. Vernon and Washington. Mt.Vernon really has no options other than to join and Washington because of their size doesn't really have any option either.  

I guess nothing to share after this meeting?

It looks like the main point of that meeting was to decide what to do with Mt. Carmel the final years that they could be in the Big 8. The schools decided to remove Mt. Carmel from the conference after the 2019-2020 school year. After the meeting Mt. Carmel informed everyone that they are leaving after this school year and removed Jasper, Boonville, and Washington from their schedule. I assume those are the only weeks they could get games for. 

45 minutes ago, SWFootballfan said:

It looks like the main point of that meeting was to decide what to do with Mt. Carmel the final years that they could be in the Big 8. The schools decided to remove Mt. Carmel from the conference after the 2019-2020 school year. After the meeting Mt. Carmel informed everyone that they are leaving after this school year and removed Jasper, Boonville, and Washington from their schedule. I assume those are the only weeks they could get games for. 

I am pretty certain they have secured games with at least 2 of the Big 8 schools for the 1 remaining year.  My guess is they went in with a pretty good idea that a schedule wasn't going to be a problem so they could give the two finger salute to the Big 8 on the way out the door.

Yeah, I would assume they tried to get games for every Big 8 team that was on their schedule and they could only get 3 games. So that's why those three teams got dropped. From my understanding, they still have Mt. Vernon, Princeton, and Vincennes on their schedule for next year. 

24 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

I am pretty certain they have secured games with at least 2 of the Big 8 schools for the 1 remaining year.  My guess is they went in with a pretty good idea that a schedule wasn't going to be a problem so they could give the two finger salute to the Big 8 on the way out the door.

They waited till the meeting was over, and later that evening emailed all teams what they couldn't tell them face to face.

21 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

Sorry if this has been addressed.. But is it safe to say Linton's game with Boonville in 2019 is a one year thing?   I don't really know.. haven't seen any of the Miner folks to ask.  It replaced our series with Cardinal Ritter. 

Not sure.  What week was it scheduled?  I think we can make an educated guess that if the PAC/BIG 8 thing happens (and I'm still not sold), that Boonville will most likely only have the availability for non-conference games in week 1 or week 2.

35 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

Sorry if this has been addressed.. But is it safe to say Linton's game with Boonville in 2019 is a one year thing?   I don't really know.. haven't seen any of the Miner folks to ask.  It replaced our series with Cardinal Ritter. 

I would think it would be a two year deal for the 2019 and 2020 season. The possible start date that I heard was 2021 for the new schedules to start if the merger gets finalized. With this game being week 5 I don't see these two teams playing each other past the 2020 season. Unless the game is moved to week 1/2. 

47 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

It’s possible that another PAC school may take over this contract.