Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Big 8 will be down to 6 teams.

10 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

All three of those teams could end up with three non-conference games to play with....so maybe you don't have any games to find..or maybe it's something between 0 and 3.  It might be set up where two of the games are weeks 1 and weeks 2 but the third (if not some sort of protected inter-division rivalry) could be anywhere in the schedule.

they are week 4, 6, and 9...doubt that will help...lol...oh well!

3 hours ago, Rudy said:

For a little historical perspective, North Knox was a member of the PAC from 1980 to 1982. They replaced Gibson Southern, which had gone to the Big Eight, but had to leave because of their cluster schedule commitments.

http://www.almanacsports.com/football/conference.php?conf_id=pac

Dan

Remember that well, they thought they would dominate PAC, didn't happen.

On 3/21/2019 at 10:57 AM, SEAL_63 said:

So apparently... VL and Jasper are still entertaining offers from the SIAC.  Whether this is for all sports, or just football I'm not sure. It'll be interesting to see where this goes. Vincennes already plays all SIAC schools in basketball (minus Castle) and would like to add more Eville opponents on their football schedule. Jasper is probably pushing harder for this because of the sectional competition they face in both sports.

Obviously, this would split the remaining Big 8 teams permanently. I could see VL wanting to keep these schools together in a Big PAC division.

Jasper could care less based on what I've heard...shocker.

I have heard something similar from a person with ties to one of the schools in question and connections with the SIAC. My understanding from this individual is that Jasper joining the SIAC (they’re preferred destination) hinges completely on Vincennes Lincoln joining with them.

It is my understanding that this will be for all sports. I don’t know either school’s athletic prowess outside of football but I agree that this probably doesn’t make a lot of sense for VL. Jasper, Castle, Reitz, Central, North and Harrison are all 4A in other sports, so 6 of their 9 opponents will be much larger than they are.  Could be good for Coach Salters and the football team to play stiffer competition than a weakened Big 8 schedule. 

Regardless, I don’t see Jasper joining the PAC even if there is the large and small divisions. I know they will lose a lot of money from not playing Southridge and Heritage Hills, but I guess that is a decision they are ok with. (Personally, I want to see Jasper and Castle play.)

VL would lose their game with North Knox (if they still play), forcing them to lose a big county rival and check. The PAC makes more sense for VL due to size alone. 

I think no matter what happens the southwestern part of Indiana is very interested.

I’m confused...

if Jasper joined the PAC they would still play HH every year and it would be more meaningful as it would a conference game.  Southridge has the potential to be dropped but in a format without tecumseh (7/7 division split) jasper would have 3 non conference games and they could easily fill that with a game with southridge.

maybe I’m swinging and missing here...but it seems that jasper isn’t concerned with keeping their big games or rivalries, but rather keeping the relationships in check while they actively seek out leaving all those schools in particular....just a fail safe in case they don’t get into the SIAC  don’t want to make any other school upset. 

Calling it as I see it  

Edited by DumfriesYMCA

54 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I’m confused...

if Jasper joined the PAC they would still play HH every year and it would be more meaningful as it would a conference game.  Southridge has the potential to be dropped but in a format without tecumseh (7/7 division split) jasper would have 3 non conference games and they could easily fill that with a game with southridge.

maybe I’m swinging and missing here...but it seems that jasper isn’t concerned with keeping their big games or rivalries, but rather keeping the relationships in check while they actively seek out leaving all those schools in particular....just a fail safe in case they don’t get into the SIAC  don’t want to make any other school upset. 

Calling it as I see it  

I’m also confused on what Jasper gains from joining the PAC. Even with big and small divisions, Jasper and Booneville would be the only 4A schools. So they would be in the same situation by not playing bigger schools.

Unfortunately, you only get 9 games a year in football so relationships are important. Whatever Jasper and the rest of the Big 8 decides to do will have consequences to their schedules and relationships with schools. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Coach_K said:

I have heard something similar from a person with ties to one of the schools in question and connections with the SIAC. My understanding from this individual is that Jasper joining the SIAC (they’re preferred destination) hinges completely on Vincennes Lincoln joining with them.

It is my understanding that this will be for all sports. I don’t know either school’s athletic prowess outside of football but I agree that this probably doesn’t make a lot of sense for VL. Jasper, Castle, Reitz, Central, North and Harrison are all 4A in other sports, so 6 of their 9 opponents will be much larger than they are.  Could be good for Coach Salters and the football team to play stiffer competition than a weakened Big 8 schedule. 

Regardless, I don’t see Jasper joining the PAC even if there is the large and small divisions. I know they will lose a lot of money from not playing Southridge and Heritage Hills, but I guess that is a decision they are ok with. (Personally, I want to see Jasper and Castle play.)

VL would lose their game with North Knox (if they still play), forcing them to lose a big county rival and check. The PAC makes more sense for VL due to size alone. 

I think no matter what happens the southwestern part of Indiana is very interested.

I have been told from a very good source with direct ties to the decision makers at Jasper that thier preferred outcome is a football merger of the PAC/BIG 8.  If done creatively they could basically keep the same schedule they have today except they trade GS for Mt. Carmel in football.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

I have been told from a very good source with direct ties to the decision makers at Jasper that thier preferred outcome is a football merger of the PAC/BIG 8.  If done creatively they could basically keep the same schedule they have today except they trade GS for Mt. Carmel in football.

You could be right. I could be right. Or there could be another answer. Like I stated above, southwestern Indiana is interested in the decision.

56 minutes ago, Coach_K said:

I’m also confused on what Jasper gains from joining the PAC. Even with big and small divisions, Jasper and Booneville would be the only 4A schools. So they would be in the same situation by not playing bigger schools.

Unfortunately, you only get 9 games a year in football so relationships are important. Whatever Jasper and the rest of the Big 8 decides to do will have consequences to their schedules and relationships with schools. 

I think you hit the nail on the head with regards to relationships. If you upset one school or a conference, it may be tough sledding to add them to your schedule at some point. 

@Titan32 jasper essentially switching their schedule for Mt. Carmel/Gibson southern would likely be a big win for them.  Simple and not many road bumps.

GS and HH probably have the toughest roads ahead given how much their schedules could change....but it seems that both GS and HH are wanting this.

22 hours ago, Coach_K said:

Bigger doesn't always mean better. Heritage Hills leads the series between them and Jasper and I would put money on Heritage Hills beating them again next year. IMO if this deal started next year I don't think Jasper would finish in the top three of the conference. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Sooooo. What’s next. Big 8 teams need to accept? 

I think they need their own vote.

1 hour ago, Knoxcounty83 said:

Did Tecumseh vote for it too or are they remaining independent for football?

They will remain Independant.

30 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

I think they need their own vote.

They will remain Independant.

Okay.  Well at least this is moving forward. Always a good sign.

as for tecumseh...I think that is for the best.  Since they are out....that would mean that the divisions either stay at 8 and 6 big to small....or they balance it out and make it 2 divisions of 7.  The only problem with this is that this is based off of enrollment so going off of enrollment, I believe heritage hills would move down.

i would hope they would switch Heritage Hills and Mt Vernon. Otherwise all this work was basically Gibson southern leaving the traditional PAC to join the “new” pac aka the BIG 8 

3 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Okay.  Well at least this is moving forward. Always a good sign.

as for tecumseh...I think that is for the best.  Since they are out....that would mean that the divisions either stay at 8 and 6 big to small....or they balance it out and make it 2 divisions of 7.  The only problem with this is that this is based off of enrollment so going off of enrollment, I believe heritage hills would move down.

i would hope they would switch Heritage Hills and Mt Vernon. Otherwise all this work was basically Gibson southern leaving the traditional PAC to join the “new” pac aka the BIG 8 

If will be 7 and 7.  HH will go up MV will go down.  MV will dip below HH next enrollment cycle anyway is my guess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sacked said:

Do you know if they voted to schedule all non conference games at the beginning of the season or not? 

I don't know if that was in what they voted on or not...but I had "heard" that the original proposal was to have 2 non-conference games at the front of the schedule with the third having the option to float around wherever it needed to be to make your schedule work.

4 minutes ago, Sacked said:

Do you know if they voted to schedule all non conference games at the beginning of the season or not? 

I don’t think that it is possible to move all non conference games to the front of the season and honor schedule contracts that already exist.

For example, Linton is scheduled to play Boonville about mid season for four years. Now another team may be taking over that contract but I doubt they can get it moved to the beginning of the season. Linton needs that game for their schedule at mid season and it’s contracted for that.

1 hour ago, Cappy said:

I don’t think that it is possible to move all non conference games to the front of the season and honor schedule contracts that already exist.

For example, Linton is scheduled to play Boonville about mid season for four years. Now another team may be taking over that contract but I doubt they can get it moved to the beginning of the season. Linton needs that game for their schedule at mid season and it’s contracted for that.

Great point...even if there is a desire to push 2 of the non conference games to the front...it might take a few years for EVERYONE to get there.

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

Great point...even if there is a desire to push 2 of the non conference games to the front...it might take a few years for EVERYONE to get there.

Then again...aren't most contracts written in such a manner that an out is provided for in situations such as this?  I mean certainly one could opt to stay in a contract in good faith, but my guess is a school could get out of one pretty easily should they so desire.