Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Big 8 will be down to 6 teams.

I’m not sure moving to the SIAC is the best move for jasper or GS I see the argument....but I’m just like meh. 

The only positive i see out of it is there are no more “well if you played a SIAC schedule” or “team x is better than team Y via transitive property”

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 10:50 AM, Coach_K said:

I didn't realize a couple of statements from a month ago was stale.  I understand a lot has happened, but I'm sure the Big 8 schools were having these discussions internally when news broke out of Illinois.

Your statement about Washington and Lincoln getting new ADs is probably a huge factor.  Do these schools want to be in separate conferences for football and the rest of their sports?

Question here though (pardon me if this was covered): What happens if the proposal is accepted, but one schools opts out of the Big 8 or wants to leave the New PAC?  Tell City joining the PLAC would make logical sense if they feel they can't compete.

Lincoln wants this. It wasn't Lincoln wanting more "info."

Edited by D3dream

It looks like this might actually go. If the SIAC will only entertain the idea of adding two teams and not one. Which is what I have heard. So, if Jasper was looking into possibly joining they would need someone to join them. I don't see them being able to get one. That would mean that Jaspers best choice (in my opinion) would be to join the others and make the merger happen. 

2 hours ago, SouthernFan said:

EVSC already decided on this. They are NOT going to allow Boonville or Jasper into the SIAC. Big 8 tabled the vote for the merger because 3 of the schools are without AD's at this time. 

I didn't think Boonville ever wanted in the SIAC, they are a BIG supporter of the Big 8 PAC football merger.  I think your point about the Washington AD retiring and the Lincoln AD going to BNL is valid.  I do think that is a formality though, from what I can gather Washington and Lincoln are in support of the merger as well.  There are a lot of rumors as to Jasper (rumors are just that).  I will say this, the original talk from multiple sources was that the SIAC wouldn't consider just one school, I'm not so sure that is the case.

Edited by Titan32

3 hours ago, SouthernFan said:

Big 8 tabled the vote for the merger because 3 of the schools are without AD's at this time. 

This is what I was told as well, I have been told that the vast majority of programs in both conferences are for this at the AD level and above. 

2 hours ago, Titan32 said:

I didn't think Boonville ever wanted in the SIAC, they are a BIG supporter of the Big 8 PAC football merger.  I think your point about the Washington AD retiring and the Lincoln AD going to BNL is valid.  I do think that is a formality though, from what I can gather Washington and Lincoln are in support of the merger as well.  There are a lot of rumors as to Jasper (rumors are just that).  I will say this, the original talk from multiple sources was that the SIAC wouldn't consider just one school, I'm not so sure that is the case.

I'd be fine with Jasper (and more so of Boonville) in the SIAC.  Not a fan of VL joining.  I realize its about the same distance, but I hate the drive up 41.  If I had to rank the schools I'd like to see in the SIAC, it would be Gibson Southern & Boonville (equally), then Jasper, Mt. Vernon.  

10 hours ago, Titanbacker said:

I heard that there is another school in the B8 that is without an AD! But nothing has been released on it. So if that is the case that mean that there could have only been 3 ADs at the B8 meeting.

I don't have any knowledge, but I would assume Hein and Miller were both at the Big 8 meeting even though they aren't coming back.  In my experience, they have always been two very professional ADs.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Coach_K said:

I don't have any knowledge, but I would assume Hein and Miller were both at the Big 8 meeting even though they aren't coming back.  In my experience, they have always been two very professional ADs.

So can I take it that it is at least implicit in your comment you don't feel the AD turn over had anything to do with the delay?

I definitely believe that was part of the delay. 

But I think Miller and Hein said something to the effect of we know we are leaving and this situation will be someone else's decision.

Superintendents, Principals and Coaches should all be expressing their opinions both for and against for the new ADs.

Edited by Coach_K
  • Like 1

Hein has been a puppet at VL and has held no real power for years minus scheduling. Crap has really hit the fan when you're no longer welcomed or wanted to make athletic hires. 

• Disdain 1

Have NEVER been a Gordon Englehardt fan - and this article just reeks of "7th grade girl gossip". When did he become an opinion columnist? "Several texted questions" were sent ...is this how reporting is done nowadays?? I would prefer just news/facts - not speculation. 

Sorry, rant over. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SoIndRef said:

Could you give a gist of what it says?  I have used all my courier press articles for a month....

Did you know that if you open up an Incognito Mode tab, that you can open these all you want? I had no idea that Incognito Mode had a 2nd use until I found this.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jets said:

Have NEVER been a Gordon Englehardt fan - and this article just reeks of "7th grade girl gossip". When did he become an opinion columnist? "Several texted questions" were sent ...is this how reporting is done nowadays?? I would prefer just news/facts - not speculation. 

Sorry, rant over. 

I understand your frustration with the article, but Englehardt said there were several sources about the preliminary talks.  (I want to know those sources.)

He probably texted the questions because Mr. Lewis did not answer phone calls.  Mr. Lewis could control the narrative with texting the answers back. (I've been there and done that in the past.)

9 minutes ago, JQWL said:

Did you know that if you open up an Incognito Mode tab, that you can open these all you want? I had no idea that Incognito Mode had a 2nd use until I found this.

Does Chrome have one or is it on Firefox only?