Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Big 8 will be down to 6 teams.

34 minutes ago, reitzguy said:

I personally dont think the SIAC got that much better with the addition of Jasper and Vinn. It just got eaiser on the Athletic Directors in reguards to scheduling. SIAC would have still been one of the best conferances south of Indy without the addition. Speaking from a selffish aspect I sure would have loved seeing the kid from GS playing in the SIAC his last two years of high school if he is as good as the say he is.

I think a lot of people were wanting to see that too.  As per collegefootballtoday Brady is ranked as the #1 QB and #13 overall for the class of 2022.  It’s still early though and rankings are always changing.

But I don’t think anyone in the Evansville area is going to miss out on seeing him play.  GS has been getting plenty of publicity/coverage since 2012

2 hours ago, 1984 said:

When Jasper was courting potential suiters to join the SIAC with, I'm curious why GS didn't jump at the chance.  Assumed that would have been the golden goose.

According to my source, Jasper was always looking SIAC and had Lincoln ready to commit early on if the SIAC was open to the idea.  Same person told me Boonville is not the school that got cold feet, it was the 2 schools they were trying to pair up with.  In any event, I like where the SIAC is as a 10 school conference and hope they stay there.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tango said:

According to my source, Jasper was always looking SIAC and had Lincoln ready to commit early on if the SIAC was open to the idea.  Same person told me Boonville is not the school that got cold feet, it was the 2 schools they were trying to pair up with.  In any event, I like where the SIAC is as a 10 school conference and hope they stay there.

Boonville is the cold feet school.  Your source is incorrect based on someone pretty close to this.

Edited by Titan32

13 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Boonville is the cold feet school.  Your source is incorrect based on someone pretty close to this.

Must be.  It doesn't make sense for them to not want in. Has GS approached any other schools?  MV? 

14 minutes ago, tango said:

Must be.  It doesn't make sense for them to not want in. Has GS approached any other schools?  MV? 

Not to my Knowledge.  I am curious as to MVs position though...if anyone here has insight. I do believe that their enrollment is on decline (if that’s a factor for anyone or not I’m not sure).

JMO I prefer 10.  Not interested in 12 with 2 divisions...if that’s what would happen. I hope all the city schools and two parochial schools can continue to compete in all sports. I’m not sure that happens if 2 more come in. Lots of good overall athletic programs in the area that would fit nicely in SIAC but as an old fan of the SIAC 10 is enough.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

Not to my Knowledge.  I am curious as to MVs position though...if anyone here has insight. I do believe that their enrollment is on decline (if that’s a factor for anyone or not I’m not sure).

I don't see MV as a big benefit to SIAC at all, but just wonder if GS is trying to find a date to the party..  LOL

1 hour ago, DaveMosbey said:

I could be wrong but I think if it was a football only thing like the PAC/Big Eight Proposal Boonville would have jumped all over it. Just a total guess but I'm guessing its the coach's in other sports that swung it the other way. 

I think uts exactly the football coaches that dont want to join. I would bet if you looked at all the other sports at Boonville all there trams play multiple SIAC teams yearly. Case in point with the football program. 4 wins 22 losses vs SIAC since 1994. Only 2 of those wins were regular season wins. Just saying

• Like 1

Excited about what Jasper brings to the SIAC for selfish reasons. Memorial and Jasper has been a rivalry for many years in a number of sports. Vincennes has outstanding athletics as well.  The PAC will be fine. I really like the look of the new SIAC.  

Excited about what Jasper brings to the SIAC for selfish reasons. Memorial and Jasper has been a rivalry for many years in a number of sports. Vincennes has outstanding athletics as well.  The PAC will be fine. I really like the look of the new SIAC.  

8 hours ago, reitzguy said:

I personally dont think the SIAC got that much better with the addition of Jasper and Vinn. It just got eaiser on the Athletic Directors in reguards to scheduling. SIAC would have still been one of the best conferances south of Indy without the addition. Speaking from a selffish aspect I sure would have loved seeing the kid from GS playing in the SIAC his last two years of high school if he is as good as the say he is.

Huh? don’t think they make the SIAC better?  Have you seen the history of VL and Jasper’s sports programs?  I guess the Big Ten didn’t get any better adding Nebraska or Penn State either?  Sorry but VL and Jasper aren’t Rutgers.  I would agree with you if the SIAC added Day School and Evansville Christian.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Titan20 said:

Huh? don’t think they make the SIAC better?  Have you seen the history of VL and Jasper’s sports programs?  I guess the Big Ten didn’t get any better adding Nebraska or Penn State either?  Sorry but VL and Jasper aren’t Rutgers.  I would agree with you if the SIAC added Day School and Evansville Christian.

Sorry, about my thoughts.From the way you are looking at it you may be right but I am s Reitz person and I am only thinking football, the money making sport that helps fund the other sports mainly because I dont care about the other sports and this is s football site. What I was saying is that the football conference didnt get much better. Both of thise teams are middle of the pack football teams

47 minutes ago, reitzguy said:

Sorry, about my thoughts.From the way you are looking at it you may be right but I am s Reitz person and I am only thinking football, the money making sport that helps fund the other sports mainly because I dont care about the other sports and this is s football site. What I was saying is that the football conference didnt get much better. Both of thise teams are middle of the pack football teams

I agree with you. Gibson Southern made as much sense as anybody that joined for multiple reasons, especially in football. The three biggest being crowd size, proximity, and time zone. They would bring huge crowds that I'm not sure Vincennes would bring. The bus rides from Vincennes and Jasper will be long for all sports which will be costly, and the time change isn't going to be very friendly for the student athletes traveling to or from Jasper and Vincennes. It's also hard to understand why Boonville wouldn't want to join when they could play 4A tourney opponents or the gate playing Castle would bring? So yes not sure what the SIAC gained from just Jasper and Vincennes if you look at it financially. Not questioning their athletics programs strength in any way.  

15 minutes ago, Butkus said:

I agree with you. Gibson Southern made as much sense as anybody that joined for multiple reasons, especially in football. The three biggest being crowd size, proximity, and time zone. They would bring huge crowds that I'm not sure Vincennes would bring. The bus rides from Vincennes and Jasper will be long for all sports which will be costly, and the time change isn't going to be very friendly for the student athletes traveling to or from Jasper and Vincennes. It's also hard to understand why Boonville wouldn't want to join when they could play 4A tourney opponents or the gate playing Castle would bring? So yes not sure what the SIAC gained from just Jasper and Vincennes if you look at it financially. Not questioning their athletics programs strength in any way.  

Thank you. A voice of reason

Edited by reitzguy
Spelling

Sounds like the majority thinks GS should have gotten the offer to join the SIAC before Lincoln. Did a little research. Going back to the 2012 season, Harts first year at GS. No one doubting the Jasper choice.

GS overall 76-12. 18-7 playoff record. 3-0 vs Lincoln. 3-3 vs Memorial

Lincoln overall 43-30. 4-7 playoff record. 0-2 vs Memorial

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, reitzguy said:

Sounds like the majority thinks GS should have gotten the offer to join the SIAC before Lincoln. Did a little research. Going back to the 2012 season, Harts first year at GS. No one doubting the Jasper choice.

GS overall 76-12. 18-7 playoff record. 3-0 vs Lincoln. 3-3 vs Memorial

Lincoln overall 43-30. 4-7 playoff record. 0-2 vs Memorial

I’m not saying VL isn’t worthy. They are a solid school....but the SIAC is going to drive right by GS every time they go to play in Vincennes lol 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Screagle said:

Getting Jasper sounded like the #1 priority. Vincennes Lincoln or GS would be my next pick then Boonville.  Is there any talks of Boonville and GS making it 12 teams?

If I understood correctly, Boonville and GS were in and a few hours before the announcement Bville backed out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, reitzguy said:

I believe the SIAC wants and thought they had 12 teams, why else would they have changed their bylaws from a 10 school cap to a 12 school cap. That right there tells you there were 4 additions at some point in the process.

Just a thought, 12 schools with 2 divisions of 6 would have allowed 4 opportunities to maintain rivalries and/or reach outside the SIAC for opponents.