Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Big 8 will be down to 6 teams.

1 hour ago, reitzguy said:

I believe the SIAC wants and thought they had 12 teams, why else would they have changed their bylaws from a 10 school cap to a 12 school cap. That right there tells you there were 4 additions at some point in the process.

No one has denied that there was going to be four. But Boonville decided what they felt was best for them was to pass on joining the SIAC. And while that was bad for Gibson Southern, Boonville believes it was good for them. 

5 minutes ago, TransplantedPanther said:

No one has denied that there was going to be four. But Boonville decided what they felt was best for them was to pass on joining the SIAC. And while that was bad for Gibson Southern, Boonville believes it was good for them. 

What Boonville is saying is that they cant compete with the tougher compitition. Mainly football because as I said earlier they are already competing against SIAC schools in all of the other sports.

2 minutes ago, reitzguy said:

What Boonville is saying is that they cant compete with the tougher compitition. Mainly football because as I said earlier they are already competing against SIAC schools in all of the other sports.

It isn’t only football. They are 1-30 against the current SIAC schools in boys basketball since 2012-2013. 

31 minutes ago, TransplantedPanther said:

It isn’t only football. They are 1-30 against the current SIAC schools in boys basketball since 2012-2013. 

That may be true but that is not going to keep them from scheduling SIAC teams for Basketball. This is just my opinion but a 4a school that would rather play in a conference with all schools much smaller is afraid  of the compitition they will have to face especially football. This is a great topic because  of the past talk from the Big 8 snd PAC about not getting any respect from the SIAC and you finally get your chance and you walk away ftom it. The state of Indiana is unique because it does not matter how you do in the conference beacuse every team in every sport gets a sevond chance in the tournament, so why wouldnt you try to play the best compitition you can during the season to get you ready for that second chance. 

Edited by reitzguy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, reitzguy said:

Just looking at the numbers, Booneville could absorb Tecumseh HS, borrow 200 students from Castle and may still be smaller than Reitz. 😂😂

14 minutes ago, 1984 said:

Just looking at the numbers, Booneville could absorb Tecumseh HS, borrow 200 students from Castle and may still be smaller than Reitz. 😂😂

Mater Dei has 881 less students then Reitz and it doesn't seem to bother them any. 

• Like 1
  • Kill me now 1

6 minutes ago, Screagle said:

Memorial has 1300 less than its rival in all sports. Top tier recruiting 😜

FJ Reitz also does an amazing job with the magical 4A number for enrollment. 🤔

Edited by 1984

7 minutes ago, 1984 said:

Some schools (from the former Big8) must just suck at recruiting.

I don't think recruiting has anything to do with it. You can look at Boonville's next year schedule and see that they don't want any part of schools their size. 3 non conference games against 2a schools. No offence to those 2a schools either. I think they are wanting to make their program better. 

Scheduling games is harder than a person would think. Boonville screwed up years ago scheduling 3 conference games to start the season. They've been asking the rest of Big8 to restructure the schedule. None of us wanted to budge. 

8 minutes ago, 1984 said:

Scheduling games is harder than a person would think. Boonville screwed up years ago scheduling 3 conference games to start the season. They've been asking the rest of Big8 to restructure the schedule. None of us wanted to budge. 

Scheduling for Boonville is going to get even harder in 2020 when the gave to try to find 9 games.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Sacked said:

I don't think recruiting has anything to do with it. You can look at Boonville's next year schedule and see that they don't want any part of schools their size. 3 non conference games against 2a schools. No offence to those 2a schools either. I think they are wanting to make their program better. 

Sorry, forgot to quote you on my last post.

2 minutes ago, reitzguy said:

Scheduling for Boonville is going to get even harder in 2020 when the gave to try to find 9 games.

Enough about Boonville. What about MTV, Wash, and Princeton. Anybody heard anything? We are all in the same boat.

3 hours ago, reitzguy said:

That may be true but that is not going to keep them from scheduling SIAC teams for Basketball. This is just my opinion but a 4a school that would rather play in a conference with all schools much smaller is afraid  of the compitition they will have to face especially football. This is a great topic because  of the past talk from the Big 8 snd PAC about not getting any respect from the SIAC and you finally get your chance and you walk away ftom it. The state of Indiana is unique because it does not matter how you do in the conference beacuse every team in every sport gets a sevond chance in the tournament, so why wouldnt you try to play the best compitition you can during the season to get you ready for that second chance. 

This guy gets it.

Year after year we hear about the BIG8/PAC sos and the teams have mostly tried to make the best of it. But how can you pass an opportunity like this up. 

The SIAC is giving you 1/2 of the normal scheduled games and giving you 4 weeks to keep your rivalries in place, play other schools outside the area, or play schools in the other division.

they pretty much gave teams no reason to turn it down other than they have to play larger schools who are typically much more competitive.

26 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

This guy gets it.

Year after year we hear about the BIG8/PAC sos and the teams have mostly tried to make the best of it. But how can you pass an opportunity like this up. 

The SIAC is giving you 1/2 of the normal scheduled games and giving you 4 weeks to keep your rivalries in place, play other schools outside the area, or play schools in the other division.

they pretty much gave teams no reason to turn it down other than they have to play larger schools who are typically much more competitive.

Thanks, you abd Zi woukd get along good. I just want to see teams do what they can to get better

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1984 said:

Enough about Boonville. What about MTV, Wash, and Princeton. Anybody heard anything? We are all in the same boat.

What school are you with?

26 minutes ago, reitzguy said:

Thanks, you abd Zi woukd get along good. I just want to see teams do what they can to get better

I agree with you and Dumfries 100%

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DaveMosbey said:

This thread has sure turned seems just yesterday it was susposely a done deal.

Which done deal? Big8 joining PAC for football or Boonville and GS to SIAC?  Lots of changes 

On 5/23/2019 at 7:14 PM, reitzguy said:

Sorry, about my thoughts.From the way you are looking at it you may be right but I am s Reitz person and I am only thinking football, the money making sport that helps fund the other sports mainly because I dont care about the other sports and this is s football site. What I was saying is that the football conference didnt get much better. Both of thise teams are middle of the pack football teams

Well apparently the SIAC considered more than just football when making their decision and also looked at the athletic traditions of both schools. VL and Jasper, more often than not, field strong football, basketball (boys and girls), and baseball teams. 

On 5/23/2019 at 9:56 PM, reitzguy said:

Sounds like the majority thinks GS should have gotten the offer to join the SIAC before Lincoln. Did a little research. Going back to the 2012 season, Harts first year at GS. No one doubting the Jasper choice.

GS overall 76-12. 18-7 playoff record. 3-0 vs Lincoln. 3-3 vs Memorial

Lincoln overall 43-30. 4-7 playoff record. 0-2 vs Memorial

Ah yes..but Nick Hart’s arrival to GS just so happened to coincide with probably the worst stretch of Lincoln football in the last 40 years. GS and VL programs went in opposite directions almost simultaneously. 

Edited by SEAL_63

1 hour ago, SEAL_63 said:

Well apparently the SIAC considered more than just football when making their decision and also looked at the athletic traditions of both schools. VL and Jasper, more often than not, field strong football, basketball (boys and girls), and baseball teams. 

Ah yes..but Nick Hart’s arrival to GS just so happened to coincide with probably the worst stretch of Lincoln football in the last 40 years. GS and VL programs went in opposite directions almost simultaneously. 

SIAC didnt need Lincoln, Jasper did. Jasper was not getting in without another team. I would be willing to bet that Jasper made the phone call to Lincoln initially not the SIAC.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Screagle said:

The SIAC didn’t really need any teams to join. IMO Jasper along with VL or GS  would have been fine with me. I’m not buying for 1 second GS offers more in terms of overall athletic appeal than VL. 

Not sure I would agree wit that statement but that is what is good about this forum. I stiil dont think the SIAC is a great conference overall but it is a good conference. I would have rather seen it stay at 8

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Screagle said:

The SIAC didn’t really need any teams to join. IMO Jasper along with VL or GS  would have been fine with me. I’m not buying for 1 second GS offers more in terms of overall athletic appeal than VL. 

......if Gibson Southern was only girls sports they would still be better overall for athletics than VL for both boys/girls sports lol