Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Pass Interference

jets

Question

Is there pass interference BEHIND the line-of-scrimmage?? To my understanding, or what I have always known - is that behind the line-of-scrimmage, there is NO PI?? Meaning, a Defensive Lineman or Linebacker reads a screen, he has free reign to grab at the RB. Is this correct?? 

5 answers to this question

11 hours ago, Bobref said:

Agreed, grabbing and restricting a pass receiver behind the line is holding.

Ok just so I’m clear- there is holding behind the line-of-scrimmage. But if the ball is thrown and in the air, and our LB just hits the intended WR or RB who is waiting on a screen- then no foul?? 

Just now, jets said:

Ok just so I’m clear- there is holding behind the line-of-scrimmage. But if the ball is thrown and in the air, and our LB just hits the intended WR or RB who is waiting on a screen- then no foul?? 

Yes, as long as the hit doesn’t rise to the level of a personal foul. Remember, a receiver waiting on a forward pass is a defenseless player, by definition.

17 hours ago, jets said:

Meaning he can “block” him not tackle him without the ball. Not hit high or with the helmet but can push him down or out of the way