Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Roncalli Special Needs Manager Assaulted

This is wrong on so many levels!

Young people abusing this young man, an incompetent administrator bungling the initial investigation, a school not having proper processes in place to report such an incident, no one applying discipline and teaching to prevent another incident, then a decision to deny and cover their tracks.

It kept getting worse the more I read. Where are the coaches to say we don’t condone this regardless of impact to our team? Where are the parents to say my son will be taught to take responsibility for his actions? Where are the administrators to say this is not what we represent as a school or religious entity? The only answer lies in the fact it is a systemic problem. From the top down there is a problem.

Thank goodness there was at least one individual with a conscience who would write an anonymous letter. 

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, SenatorFan said:

This is wrong on so many levels!

Young people abusing this young man, an incompetent administrator bungling the initial investigation, a school not having proper processes in place to report such an incident, no one applying discipline and teaching to prevent another incident, then a decision to deny and cover their tracks.

It kept getting worse the more I read. Where are the coaches to say we don’t condone this regardless of impact to our team? Where are the parents to say my son will be taught to take responsibility for his actions? Where are the administrators to say this is not what we represent as a school or religious entity? The only answer lies in the fact it is a systemic problem. From the top down there is a problem.

Thank goodness there was at least one individual with a conscience who would write an anonymous letter. 

Agreed.  The way this is panning out, I'm hoping that there's a wholesale accounting from top to bottom and all the way out to the families on this one. 

Disgusting. The administration at Roncalli High School should be ashamed of themselves. I think the lack of action speaks to the incompetency of the leaders throughout the school. Who is going to protect these kids if the administration of the school will not. 

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Doubt HC and staff will survive this mess

as they shouldn't 

Edited by FridayNightLights
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Doubt HC and staff will survive this mess

Doesn’t look good - and it shouldn’t.

But lets be clear, the kids that did this should be punished fully....and as openly as the law allows.  

Honestly, there’s just no excuse for any of this

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

So incredibly disappointing in all senses of the word followed by anger 

I understand kids make really poor choices all the time, but I started my career as Life Skills teacher, have a great friend who has a son with special needs, I understand fully the fear that parents have with their children with special needs in school and public settings.  Easily their biggest fear is them not being able to protect themselves or manipulated into doing something like this.   Shameful.   

With that all being said, just a reminder when these stories break, the GID guidelines have always been :  

Stick to facts presented in verified news outlets (such as the link up in the 1st thread)

Juveniles have protected rights 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Basementbias said:

The IHSAA needs to give a penalty similar to the Southport Basketball team, if not worse.

While I agree this is an awful case and IF all true,  there should be numerous consequences.  This is something the IHSAA I believe should (and will) leave to their member schools.              

Has there been any other situations like this at Indiana HS's in the last several years? I just wonder if the IHSAA will have to step in or if Roncalli, or the Archdiocese, will administer punishments themselves to the administrators involved? 

I just feel for this poor kid. All he wanted to do was be a Rebel and it's forever taken away from him. Hopefully he can find the comfort and peace in a new situation. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MICFan34 said:

Has there been any other situations like this at Indiana HS's in the last several years? I just wonder if the IHSAA will have to step in or if Roncalli, or the Archdiocese, will administer punishments themselves to the administrators involved? 

I just feel for this poor kid. All he wanted to do was be a Rebel and it's forever taken away from him. Hopefully he can find the comfort and peace in a new situation. 

I feel like the school or the Archdiocese should get out in front before the IHSAA gets involved. Again this is super sad, but Roncalli and the Archdiocese need to show that they have the needs of their students front in center after this issue. As a teacher myself this bothers me to my core.

1 hour ago, TRCJunkie said:

P/p has played by different rules for years both academically and athletically, why would they think they should be held to the same moral standard now?

back up your statement with some facts - outside of that..

An absolute horrible situation - prayers to all involved.

9 minutes ago, Obi-Wan said:

I feel like the school or the Archdiocese should get out in front before the IHSAA gets involved. Again this is super sad, but Roncalli and the Archdiocese need to show that they have the needs of their students front in center after this issue. As a teacher myself this bothers me to my core.

Absolutely agree - well said!

There are many coaching staffs who teach anti-bullying and protecting those who can't protect themselves. Being a football coach involves much more than just teaching the game of football. A good football coach also teaches the game of life. I'm not saying this was or wasn't being taught at Roncalli, but it needs to be addressed by the administrators. 

Edited by BTF
correction
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

I would wonder why team leadership itself in the locker room didn't seize this situation early on, and get that behavior stopped from the get-go. 

I have a feeling it was the "Leaders" in the locker room that was apart of this. While I would have kicked the player in the first incident off the team to send a message, how do you continue to let Jack go into the locker room unsupervised? How do you not make sure there is someone supervising in the locker room period! It shouldn't have to be that way, but obviously you have a culture problem in your locker room. Totally incompetent! 

Edited by vicvinegar
  • Like 5

I am not directing this specifically to this case, but I have witnessed admins "take sides" for whatever reason and try and sweep things under the rug,  hoping all goes away.  These incidents were all at public schools I must add.

If you do not address it correctly and swiftly, it will linger and create more problems down the line.

1 hour ago, TRCJunkie said:

P/p has played by different rules for years both academically and athletically, why would they think they should be held to the same moral standard now?

Lazy comment - am I to assume then that your public school has different rules? What are they? What is your source? So easy to throw out opinions, but yours must be based on some type of fear and some type of weak "academic" public standard...if we use your logic, which I find beyond flawed.

There is a common sense moral standard that our society should be able to agree upon, but that would be another topic. Just had to respond to your careless comment which blankets a large segment of people who have nothing to do with this horrible situation.

• Like 3