Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Tribute to Coach Bowsman

I just received this email from my good friend Jason Lowe. Coach Lowe is an assistant at Springs Valley and brother in law of Coach Bowsman. Hopefully this can spread through the state.

Good morning Coaches. As many of you know, West Washington's  head football coach/AD Phillip Bowsman passed away yesterday afternoon. Phillip was a great man, an extraordinary leader, and the best brother-in-law I could ask for. Springs Valley will be honoring Phillip by turning on our football field lights friday morning and leaving them on until Phillip's funeral services conclude Saturday. I've yet to meet anyone that loved Friday Night Lights as much as Phillip and his family. 

I'm inviting you to honor Phillip in the same way but also asking you to forward on to other schools/football programs in our area that I do not have contacts for. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Jason Lowe

• Like 10

Tremendous Idea.   Coach Lowe you have my thoughts and prayers as well.  Phillip was a great guy to talk football with, and I'm guessing was a great guy to have any conversation about actually!  I only know him from conversations we had about Linton/West Washington and many other contests over the years in my research.  Such a sad story all the way around.  Watching the video of the game and seeing the other coaches talking the the Senator Players on the break before 2nd quarter.. heart-wrenching in the harshest form.  I would hope schools, particularly those with ties to Coach Bowsman.. as well as those like ourselves in Linton.. who had some battles on the field but respect off it... would partake.  I don't know though if this being Thanksgiving week.. anyone will be around the school to do it.   I know there is great sadness is Linton over the terrible news. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JQWL said:

I just received this email from my good friend Jason Lowe. Coach Lowe is an assistant at Springs Valley and brother in law of Coach Bowsman. Hopefully this can spread through the state.

Good morning Coaches. As many of you know, West Washington's  head football coach/AD Phillip Bowsman passed away yesterday afternoon. Phillip was a great man, an extraordinary leader, and the best brother-in-law I could ask for. Springs Valley will be honoring Phillip by turning on our football field lights friday morning and leaving them on until Phillip's funeral services conclude Saturday. I've yet to meet anyone that loved Friday Night Lights as much as Phillip and his family. 

I'm inviting you to honor Phillip in the same way but also asking you to forward on to other schools/football programs in our area that I do not have contacts for. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Jason Lowe

Twin Lakes will have our lights on in honor of Coach Bowsman. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anything that those who care about this thing called Indiana Hs Football can will do, to honor the legacy of a Teacher, Athletic Director and Coach is appreciated.

I hope that the IHSAA does its best to communicate the impact that Coach Bowsman has had on the lives of the young people that were within his perview throughout the years during the 2019 State finals is warranted.

We are all a family in extracurricular education!

Amen, and God Bless you Coach Bowsman!  

• Like 3

As a tribute to Coach Bowsman, I had a cross fashioned that stands 6'3" tall (I thought he was more like 6'2", but he always said he was 6'3"). It is placed at the 50 yard line,on the home sideline just on the field of play (where Coach roamed, despite repeated warnings to "get back").

Community members, students, staff and former players and coaches have visited to share memories of coach and leave mementos and grieve the loss of a great man. We thank you all for your prayers and support. 

20191126_154210.thumb.jpg.4d32b7886befdb42414d2beab75277c4.jpg20191126_154216.thumb.jpg.b924e4a89cf29f14d2e808eec62d8d97.jpg20191126_154222.thumb.jpg.3e8b77f52413abd575b0fa621f70dd05.jpg20191126_154226.thumb.jpg.2e443ffaa00ac5b07da086343e26fae0.jpg20191126_154243.thumb.jpg.0c0e01d11505d54961ac05f0d72b95cd.jpg

• Like 6

Two things that come to mind about Coach Bowsman, whenever we played them you knew you were going to face a bunch of hard nosed, tough kids who played their hearts out for their coach and secondly, whether it was a game or 7 on 7 event they hosted, you were always treated as if you were the most important team there.  Even though our parents fed our kids after the games, they were always offered more from the WW staff.  How does all of this happen?  To quote a line from Remember the Titans...."attitude reflects leadership"  Great coach and even better person.  RIP Coach

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The outpouring of support for Coach Bowsman and his family just reaffirms what I've always said about this game, ultimately it's about relationships. I read an interview with Levon Helm a long time ago, and he made a statement I've never forgotten. "We all start out thinking we're going to change the world, at the end of the day if you just helped your neighborhood, you did alright." You did alright Coach Bowsman!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

The outpouring of support for Coach Bowsman and his family just reaffirms what I've always said about this game, ultimately it's about relationships. I read an interview with Levon Helm a long time ago, and he made a statement I've never forgotten. "We all start out thinking we're going to change the world, at the end of the day if you just helped your neighborhood, you did alright." You did alright Coach Bowsman!

Something that bonds those that have played the game to everyone else that has played the game.  Something about being part of the "warrior class" always binds you to the guy next to you and the guy across from you.  BTW, absolutely love that Levon Helm quote! 

I didn't know Coach Bowsman, but from the comments of all that have posted, I feel like I did. 

• Like 1

I have had questions after the news coverage and the previous announcement of Coach Bowsman's passing. I hope this clarifies. Thank you all for your outpouring of support. 

An Honor Walk is for people that have chosen to do a total organ transplant. In most cases the family is there and medical staff at the hospital step outside to honor the donor. The family can invite others and Beth chose to include our community and team.

The hallway is lined and the donor is walked through the crowd to have their organs harvested. 

Coach Bowsman was deemed medically deceased on Monday 1:19 PM. His body was maintained and yesterday they harvested his organs. 2 of his organs are already been matched to individuals for life saving organ transplants and can potentially save up to 8.

• Like 8

Linton Coach Brian Oliver posted this on Facebook...

In memory of Coach Bowsman, we will be joining schools across the state and turning our lights on at The Roy tomorrow through Saturday. This is to honor a great man who brought so much passion to High School football . Miner nation is sending their love and prayers to Coach Bowsman family & to the West Washington Community

• Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 9:31 AM, JQWL said:

Jason Lowe

Tri-Central high school will have it's lights on starting Friday morning in memory of Coach Bowsman.