Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Time to fix the broken 6A tournament

Guest DT

8 hours ago, Temptation said:

Sorry, guess I got my posters mixed up.  I'll take the loss.

My point still stands that you get defensive when you make your mind up that folks are discrediting Moore.  Both factors (socioeconomics/numbers) and culture CAN be true and I have been steadfast in crediting both...you just choose to focus on one.

I do not know the specifics of what things were like at CG prior to Moore's arrival but I can tell you that the socioeconomics probably were not much different than they are now, but the numbers/enrollment were.

I can tell what is like before coach Moore and yes their was people well off like now.  But like now most are hard working people who have good jobs and work hard at them. 

As far as the number go.  Do not quote on me this because I  do not have the excite number but in 1995 their was around 1900 kids in the school I think it broke 2000  97-98 year

Below are comments and feedback from Commissioner Cox regarding the proposed divisional alignment for Class 6A football :

Tim,

Good evening. I have reviewed the proposal to divide the current 6A into two divisions. Please allow me to provide my perspective on the concept.

Initially, this is really creating 7A football and 6A football with 16 schools in each classification. The idea that schools in these classifications would only need to win four games to be the state champions while over 250 schools would need to win six contests to be the state champions will not receive widespread support from the majority of our membership. Secondly, as you may or may not know, member schools receive 98% of the net revenue at the sectional level. Reducing the number of contests at that level and the inevitable increase of travel distance will not be acceptable to those schools in a potential 7A and 6A.

While our largest schools dominate the current 6A classification, it was created to assist the bottom 32 schools in the former 5A classification.  That has certainly allowed the current 5A to experience successes previously unattainable.

Finally, I don’t believe creating an additional classification will significantly help our football tournament series.

Sincerely,

Bobby Cox
Commissioner
Indiana High School Athletic Association, Inc.

9 hours ago, DT said:

Below are comments and feedback from Commissioner Cox regarding the proposed divisional alignment for Class 6A football :

Tim,

Good evening. I have reviewed the proposal to divide the current 6A into two divisions. Please allow me to provide my perspective on the concept.

Initially, this is really creating 7A football and 6A football with 16 schools in each classification. The idea that schools in these classifications would only need to win four games to be the state champions while over 250 schools would need to win six contests to be the state champions will not receive widespread support from the majority of our membership. Secondly, as you may or may not know, member schools receive 98% of the net revenue at the sectional level. Reducing the number of contests at that level and the inevitable increase of travel distance will not be acceptable to those schools in a potential 7A and 6A.

While our largest schools dominate the current 6A classification, it was created to assist the bottom 32 schools in the former 5A classification.  That has certainly allowed the current 5A to experience successes previously unattainable.

Finally, I don’t believe creating an additional classification will significantly help our football tournament series.

Sincerely,

Bobby Cox
Commissioner
Indiana High School Athletic Association, Inc.

Thanks for sharing DT.  

I don't get why Indiana towns/cities let their schools get so big without building another school. In the Columbus Ohio suburbs (Hilliard and Dublin to name a few) they went from one to two or three high schools each. The largest high school in Ohio is usually Mason (Cinci suburb) or Mentor (far East CLE suburb), and neither of those schools eclipse 3,500 in four-year enrollment. What really kills me is Indiana has about 60 percent of the population that Ohio has, but they have about 6-8 schools with larger enrollment than Ohio's largest two schools.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HSFBFan64 said:

I don't get why Indiana towns/cities let their schools get so big without building another school. In the Columbus Ohio suburbs (Hilliard and Dublin to name a few) they went from one to two or three high schools each. The largest high school in Ohio is usually Mason (Cinci suburb) or Mentor (far East CLE suburb), and neither of those schools eclipse 3,500 in four-year enrollment. What really kills me is Indiana has about 60 percent of the population that Ohio has, but they have about 6-8 schools with larger enrollment than Ohio's largest two schools.

Might also explain why a lot of Ohio’s schools are dumps.  Obviously I haven’t seen all the schools but I’ve seen most of Dayton and it’s surrounding areas and it’s rough, but when you pay 3 principals, 9 assistant principals, multiple AD’s, multiple band directors, multiple football coaches, multiples of EVERYTHING, you lose a ton of money.

Carmel, in my opinion, as well as Ben Davis, Warren, etc. all thrive because they only have 1 school system.

On 12/4/2019 at 8:38 AM, TrojanDad said:

BTW, what Grover stated about Coach Moore's past in Florida was true....and he stated only because your claim of socioeconomics being the most important factor.

Of course it is true.  Some guys just don't like it when holes get poked in their excuses.

6 minutes ago, Grover said:

Of course it is true.  Some guys just don't like it when holes get poked in their excuses.

You’re embellishing and you know it.  It’s amazing what a quick google search can do.

You should be embarrassed.

13 hours ago, HSFBFan64 said:

Economies of scale. If I recall  correctly, some of the outskirts of Dallas were this way for a while back in the 70s.  Places like Mesquite, Plano, Richardson all had large, single ... maybe double ... high schools and they were heavily dominant in football.  Eventually tipping points forced some decentralization.

45 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

I think one should be embarrassed if they open their mouth and flap their gums without having any clue of knowing what they are talking about....and certainly have lived in a given location.  

Coach Moore has shared much about the community of Punta Gorda Fl and about the lives of his former players many times over the years.  He's taken people from CG into these areas while on spring break and I've also heard from them about the area.  Knowing Coach and the other individuals (friends), I don't believe one minute they have embellished anything about Charlotte High School and a number of his players lives.

But since you are a Google fan, I am sure you found information such as this:

https://www.charlottecountyfl.gov/dept/humanservices/Documents/2017-Human-Services-Community-Needs-Assessment.pdf

The demographics of those served by the Charlotte County Human Services (CCHS) Family Services Division are comparable to those of the County. CCHS assisted 8,432 individuals, representing a total of 3,506 families from January 1, 2014, through December 31, 2016, reporting years. Of those clients served, the majority were females between the ages of 24 and 44. Family Services can also report that 79% of those served were white, 20% African American, and 1% Native American, Asian, and another race(s). Much of Family Services clients (64%), fell within the 50% or lower level of income Health and Human Service guidelines. Not surprising, since 40% of Charlotte County is living in poverty or below the Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed (ALICE) threshold, which will be discussed further in this report. From 2014-2016, Charlotte 2-1-1 received and responded to 39,412 calls for information and referral. Charlotte 2-1-1’s database contains 426 non-profit & government agencies and 561 programs available to Charlotte County residents, in addition to collecting data based on the calls received.

The level of educational attainment in Charlotte County remains lower than that of the national average. From 2011 to 2015, there was no significant improvement. The most visible differences were 1.8% decrease of those with only high school diploma or GED and 0.8% increase of residents attaining a Bachelor’s degree.3 Those clients served by the Family Services Division from 2014-2016, 88% fell within the categories no diploma, high school diploma or GED and some college/no degree.

Persons (all ages) in poverty 12.4% Children under 18 in poverty 23.3% Elderly poverty 6%. With a median household income of $44,244, many Charlotte County residents struggle to make ‘ends meet’ 5 , especially when the cost of living continues to rise and wages do not.

Above are excerpts.....feel free to read the entire report.  There was nothing stated by Grover that was an embellishment.  You've never spent one second of your life talking with Coach Moore, yet you accuse others of embellishing.....seriously?

The ONLY ONE that should be embarrassed is the guy staring back at you in the mirror.

HARDLY dirt floors and towels for doors...me thinks that Johnson County lifestyle has jaded you.  Hyperbole at its best.  Used car salesman?

At least it now makes sense who fronted the most money for the "Save Coach Moore" 18-wheeler last year.

And YES, I have spoken to Eric personally.  A few times actually.  Great guy who is easy to cheer for.  But his "fan boys" on here are a bit much.  Folks in Warren and Wayne Township are laughing at those statistics above.

18 hours ago, HSFBFan64 said:

I don't get why Indiana towns/cities let their schools get so big without building another school. 

During the years I lived in suburban Detroit one of the townships had two high schools,  the high school buildings located about 100 yards apart.  Students would technically attend high school building A but may have a class or 2 in high school building B.    

I believe the two high schools shared a football field,  can't remember other sports like basketball.

56 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

you are a piece of work....if you talked to Eric personally about Punta Gorda and the environment his boys came from, you would have been smart enough not to say much.

But then again as you told us before, you pretty much know it all and listening is not a strength.  Done wasting time with you.

“Dirt floors and towel doors.”

You signed off on it too.  Talk about doubling down.

See yourself out now...

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

you are a piece of work....if you talked to Eric personally about Punta Gorda and the environment his boys came from, you would have been smart enough not to say much.

But then again as you told us before, you pretty much know it all and listening is not a strength.  Done wasting time with you.

I've got him on ignore for a reason.  It would help if you would quit quoting him.  😉