Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

MIC should give Lawrence schools the boot

Guest DT

Let's face it

Lawrence schools will never reach a level of consistent competitiveness in The MIC

They are at a huge numbers disadvantage and with two township schools, that will never change

The Lawrence schools should apply for membership to the HCC.  It's a perfect fit in terms of size and geography, and the competitive profile is a solid match with the HCC schools

MIC should hold tight at 6 schools.   

Work out a scheduling agreement with Cathedral where all 6 schools will play the Irish annually, similar to Notre Dames agreement with the ACC.  This will leave MIC schools with 3 open dates to fill to play either instate or new out of state competitiion

11 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

They should combine the 2 schools so they'll be able to compete with Carmel.

Dumbest thing I've ever heard

Spend $150 million dollars to combine two schools into one for high school competitiveness reasons.  Lol

1 hour ago, DT said:

Let's face it

Lawrence schools will never reach a level of consistent competitiveness in The MIC

They are at a huge numbers disadvantage and with two township schools, that will never change

The Lawrence schools should apply for membership to the HCC.  It's a perfect fit in terms of size and geography, and the competitive profile is a solid match with the HCC schools

MIC should hold tight at 6 schools.   

Work out a scheduling agreement with Cathedral where all 6 schools will play the Irish annually, similar to Notre Dames agreement with the ACC.  This will leave MIC schools with 3 open dates to fill to play either instate or new out of state competitiion

Yet the LN GBB team was in the State Finals last year, the LC BBB team was in the regional last year (defeating Warren and LN in the process), and both LN and LC are on this years short list of state contenders.  

Mallory has turned LN into a team that’s ready to breakthrough.  Just 2 years ago they beat both Noblesville and Brownsburg, both from the HCC by a combined 76-29.  💤💤💤

Earlier Carmel and CG should leave and go to the HCC because they’re better off.  Now LC and LN?  They sure won’t bring the crowd to games!

Carmel and CG aren’t going anywhere and I can tell you now that the chances of LN and LC going anywhere are even less.  The only other suitable athletic option for either would be CI and that’s NOT happening.

9 minutes ago, DT said:

Dumbest thing I've ever heard

Spend $150 million dollars to combine two schools into one for high school competitiveness reasons.  Lol

They could join the HCC, where the competition isn't so tough. Then Noblesville and Zionsville could join the HHC. Win for everyone.

• Disdain 1

14 minutes ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

Yet the LN GBB team was in the State Finals last year, the LC BBB team was in the regional last year (defeating Warren and LN in the process), and both LN and LC are on this years short list of state contenders.  

Mallory has turned LN into a team that’s ready to breakthrough.  Just 2 years ago they beat both Noblesville and Brownsburg, both from the HCC by a combined 76-29.  💤💤💤

Earlier Carmel and CG should leave and go to the HCC because they’re better off.  Now LC and LN?  They sure won’t bring the crowd to games!

Carmel and CG aren’t going anywhere and I can tell you now that the chances of LN and LC going anywhere are even less.  The only other suitable athletic option for either would be CI and that’s NOT happening.

MIC was founded as a football first conference

The Lawrence schools share similar traits with both conferences.  But from a current and future enrollment perspective, the HCC is a better fit

I also like this from a financial viewpoint for CG.  The Trojans can schedule up to 7 home games a year in a 5 team MIC.  Keep all that revenue in the home coffers

3 hours ago, DT said:

MIC was founded as a football first conference

The Lawrence schools share similar traits with both conferences.  But from a current and future enrollment perspective, the HCC is a better fit

I also like this from a financial viewpoint for CG.  The Trojans can schedule up to 7 home games a year in a 5 team MIC.  Keep all that revenue in the home coffers

I am going to have to respectfully disagree.  The MIC was mainly formed because of class basketball.  There were many more independent programs prior to class bb and because of the introduction of class basketball, many of the conferences were shuffled around and reorganized to better suit teams you’d be seeing in the tournament vs geographical location.  It just so happens that the MIC became a football conference thanks to the success of Ben Davis, then the basketball programs caught up thanks to BD on the girls side and LN on the boys side.

I would also have to respectfully disagree on CG getting up to 7 home games annually.  Budgets are determined a number of years in advance by most booster organizations.  Any school that would sign a contract (except for Cathedral) is going to expect a home and home series, which means if you have 7 home games in 2020 for example, most likely in 2021 you’re going to be on the road for 6 at minimum (more than likely 7.)  In the current structure, CG can make on average $120,000 on a 4-game schedule and $150,000 on a 5-game schedule.  If you cut that in half on an every other year basis, it would actually hurt the program.  Yes, you could pull money from the previous years gate, but annual operating budgets don’t work that way in the eyes of the boosters.

Just my thoughts...

48 minutes ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

I am going to have to respectfully disagree.  The MIC was mainly formed because of class basketball.  There were many more independent programs prior to class bb and because of the introduction of class basketball, many of the conferences were shuffled around and reorganized to better suit teams you’d be seeing in the tournament vs geographical location.  It just so happens that the MIC became a football conference thanks to the success of Ben Davis, then the basketball programs caught up thanks to BD on the girls side and LN on the boys side.

I would also have to respectfully disagree on CG getting up to 7 home games annually.  Budgets are determined a number of years in advance by most booster organizations.  Any school that would sign a contract (except for Cathedral) is going to expect a home and home series, which means if you have 7 home games in 2020 for example, most likely in 2021 you’re going to be on the road for 6 at minimum (more than likely 7.)  In the current structure, CG can make on average $120,000 on a 4-game schedule and $150,000 on a 5-game schedule.  If you cut that in half on an every other year basis, it would actually hurt the program.  Yes, you could pull money from the previous years gate, but annual operating budgets don’t work that way in the eyes of the boosters.

Just my thoughts...

I would think that given the overall strength of the program and the size of the home gate, CG would be able to schedule several home only agreements with better and elite level programs.

I would encourage them to do everything they can to maximize their home gate during this period of declining attendance.  CG has the best live video stream in the state and they still sell out the home side of the stadium for every game.  

Edited by DT

3 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Center Grove already plays Cathedral. I don't consider Roncalli as a better program than Carmel, Warren, or Ben Davis, do you? 

Not currently. But an argument could be made for not playing a 6A type school every week. Roncalli is, most years, going to be capable of challenging and at the very least being physical. I don't buy the idea that Roncalli is down forever. 

1 hour ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Not currently. But an argument could be made for not playing a 6A type school every week. Roncalli is, most years, going to be capable of challenging and at the very least being physical. I don't buy the idea that Roncalli is down forever. 

They used to play Roncalli and the contract was canceled as Roncalli picked up Southport.  In my opinion, this would be a one-sided affair and I have no doubt that Roncalli, by having their own stadium, would want in on the gate.

Chatard would be a solid opponent and most years, would compete very well in the 6A tournament.  They too, though, would want a home game.

You could bring in Ohio programs or some of the better Illinois or Ohio programs, but you can only get so many of them and many are already well set into their contracts.

6 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

Isnt larry central ranked number 1 in basketball first weekly  rankings?

Don't let the facts get in the way of a DT post.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Disdain 2

11 hours ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

Just my thoughts...

Of all the crazy things DT proposes, he did get this one right.  You need to study your history.  

From the MIC Conference's own website:

MIC History

The MIC Conference was originally started as a “football conference.” As Carmel, Warren Central, Ben Davis and North Central grew in size and in football stature, it was more and more difficult to find opponents in that sport, without traveling around the Hoosier state or across the borders. The “Super Conference” as it was originally nicknamed, sent out invites to schools throughout Indiana, with hopes that four more schools would join.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Staxawax said:

Of all the crazy things DT proposes, he did get this one right.  You need to study your history.  

From the MIC Conference's own website:

MIC History

The MIC Conference was originally started as a “football conference.” As Carmel, Warren Central, Ben Davis and North Central grew in size and in football stature, it was more and more difficult to find opponents in that sport, without traveling around the Hoosier state or across the borders. The “Super Conference” as it was originally nicknamed, sent out invites to schools throughout Indiana, with hopes that four more schools would join.

Yes, while true, it was also designed with basketball in mind.

On 11/28/2019 at 8:09 AM, DT said:

Let's face it

Let's face it. You're completely off-base and uninformed. Again. 

There is more than one sport in Indiana HS athletics, and the Lawrence schools are more than competitive. LC has played in a football State Finals in the last decade and is one of the top boys basketball teams in the state this year. LN has struggled but has historically had a decent program - if not a state-level one. LN has won multiple state championships in boys basketball and was a state finalist in girls hoops last year. Both have had really good baseball teams in recent years. And, demographically, they're two large Marion County township schools, and fit very well in a league that includes *six* large Marion County township schools, all of whom are contiguous to each other. 

I'm sure there was a "kick North Central out of the MIC" thread, but the Panthers have turned it around. The MIC is a very good conference. LC and LN fit very well in it. 

I know you have a fetish for the HCC, but the HCC is - outside of Franklin Central - a league of large suburban schools outside of Marion County. Brownsburg, Zionsville, Avon, Noblesville, Westfield ... if there's a MIC team which fits in that league geographically, it's Carmel, but Carmel does fine in a league with its rivals Ben Davis and Center Grove. 

If you go back to when the MIC was formed, Ben Davis, Carmel, Warren Central and North Central were all independents, and so it largely fit. The Terre Haute schools struggled to find teams to play, so they fit into that group. Lawrence North was in the CSAC (with Pike, Decatur Central, Franklin Central and LC), which later became part of Conference Indiana. Center Grove had been nomadic - CSAC to South Central to MIC - and didn't really "fit" in a conference. 

At the time, Pike, Franklin Central and Decatur Central were smaller schools (Pike & FC had just moved from 4A to 5A and DC was still 4A). LC didn't quite have the athletic profile of its township neighbor. Southport & Perry Meridian moved into CSAC to replace the loss of LN, Brownsburg & CG. Of course, the MIC's formation and CG bolting the South Central led to the merger of the remnants of CSAC and the SCC into Conference Indiana (and later, the MIC & Conference Indiana swapped the TH schools with Pike & LC, which had grown into mega-schools). 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Let's face it. You're completely off-base and uninformed. Again. 

There is more than one sport in Indiana HS athletics, and the Lawrence schools are more than competitive. LC has played in a football State Finals in the last decade and is one of the top boys basketball teams in the state this year. LN has struggled but has historically had a decent program - if not a state-level one. LN has won multiple state championships in boys basketball and was a state finalist in girls hoops last year. Both have had really good baseball teams in recent years. And, demographically, they're two large Marion County township schools, and fit very well in a league that includes *six* large Marion County township schools, all of whom are contiguous to each other. 

I'm sure there was a "kick North Central out of the MIC" thread, but the Panthers have turned it around. The MIC is a very good conference. LC and LN fit very well in it. 

I know you have a fetish for the HCC, but the HCC is - outside of Franklin Central - a league of large suburban schools outside of Marion County. Brownsburg, Zionsville, Avon, Noblesville, Westfield ... if there's a MIC team which fits in that league geographically, it's Carmel, but Carmel does fine in a league with its rivals Ben Davis and Center Grove. 

Still doesn't address the numbers disparity issue.   LC enrollment is slowly declining.  LN is flat.  Lawrence is in close proximity to Fishers and Noblesville.  Location is a positive.  

The historical record confirms that The Mic was founded for football.  The Lawrence schools will never be a consistent force in MIC football.  The numbers are too highly stacked against both schools

The township just spent a lot of money updating both stadiums and modernizing logos and uniforms for central and North.   Why do that for a bottom dwelling team ?   

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Still doesn't address the numbers disparity issue. 

Nothing will address it unless Carmel decides to build another High School, which is not likely to happen. Numbers don't necessarily equate to athletic greatness. There's no need for any changes unless the schools decide they need to change. They're not going to listen to someone singing sour grapes from another region of the State.

• Thanks 1