Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

MIC should give Lawrence schools the boot

Guest DT

It's not a Carmel issue

There are many schools with enrollments between 3000-4000.   Those are mega schools too

The Lawrence schools are competing with 25 to 50% fewer students against this group of schools.   Carmel is an outlyer

4 minutes ago, DT said:

There are many schools with enrollments between 3000-4000

Wrong. There are 9. 2 of those would not be candidates for the MIC due to their location. At least 1 would not be able to compete in the MIC football talent wise. No change necessary.

DT started this thread because he wanted to get everyone's underwear in a wad and it worked. Of course this is a ridiculous idea. LN and LC fit very well in the MIC both geographically and demographically. They compete in most sports. They're records aren't great in the MIC but they get wins most years and are competitive in their losses. The coaches and athletes love being in the most competitive conference in the Midwest.

There has been chatter about combining the schools but I'm not sure how serious it is. I hope they never do it.

4 hours ago, Staxawax said:

No it wasn't. You're making that up to fit your narrative.

Dude, it’s on the main part of Wikipedia.  I don’t need to make anything up.  I was an employee in a MIC school when the conference was formed and part of an oversight committee to determine if this was the right fit.

5 minutes ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

Dude, it’s on the main part of Wikipedia.  I don’t need to make anything up.  I was an employee in a MIC school when the conference was formed and part of an oversight committee to determine if this was the right fit.

Wikipedia?  Lol.  Get this guy out of here.

7 hours ago, gonzoron said:

Wrong. There are 9. 2 of those would not be candidates for the MIC due to their location. At least 1 would not be able to compete in the MIC football talent wise. No change necessary.

One is One

Two are a couple

Three are a few

Four or more is many

Nine is a bunch

4 hours ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

Being a janitor at Carmel doesn’t make you very reliable. Especially when you sight wiki.

• Haha 2
  • Disdain 1
  • Kill me now 1
  • Sit and spin 1

Not to feed the trolls on what is and has been a dumb, throw a stupid idea against the wall and see what sticks topic, but LC & LN are both Sagarin Top 25 teams this year. They're competitive programs, but the MIC is a great conference. 

And of course, there are more sports than football (which our thread starter appears to not realize), and LC & LN both hold their own in several sports. Both have *recent* state championships on their resumes. 

23 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Where should we send Warren's Girls sports?   

The girls basketball team that won the state title two years ago? 

(In hoops, a MIC team has played for a state title three straight years. Girls: Pike was the runner-up in 2017, WC the state champ in 2018 & LN the runner-up in 2019; Boys: BD won in 2017, WC beat Carmel in 2018 & Carmel beat BD in 2019). Add in Center Grove playing for the football title this year, and that's six of eight MIC schools having played for a major sport state title in the last three years. (Add to that, LC has won state titles in track & football this decade; and North Central has state titles in five different sports, including boys & girls hoops, this decade, and swept the state track titles this spring). 

20 hours ago, DT said:

There are many schools with enrollments between 3000-4000.   Those are mega schools too

Per the IHSAA, there are 11

Carmel 5286 (MIC)
Ben Davis 4499 (MIC)
Warren Central 3821 (MIC)
North Central 3727 (MIC)
Fishers 3509 (HCC)
Penn 3338 (NIC)
Lake Central 3316 (Duneland)
Pike 3295 (MIC)
Hamilton SE 3273 (HCC)
Avon 3095 (HCC)
Noblesville 3001 (HCC)

5 MIC schools, 4 HCC schools and two in Northern Indiana
As far as the rest of the MIC, LN is at 2596 (16th), Center Grove at 2521 (17th) & LC at 2290 (23rd). Both Center Grove & Lawrence Central have won football state titles this decade and Lawrence North is a traditional basketball power, so they seem to hold their own despite "only" having 2,000+ students each. 

21 hours ago, DT said:

It's not a Carmel issue

37 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Per the IHSAA, there are 11

Carmel 5286 (MIC)
Ben Davis 4499 (MIC)
Warren Central 3821 (MIC)
North Central 3727 (MIC)
Fishers 3509 (HCC)
Penn 3338 (NIC)
Lake Central 3316 (Duneland)
Pike 3295 (MIC)
Hamilton SE 3273 (HCC)
Avon 3095 (HCC)
Noblesville 3001 (HCC)

21 hours ago, gonzoron said:

Wrong. There are 9. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 1:13 PM, gonzoron said:

Nothing will address it unless Carmel decides to build another High School, which is not likely to happen. Numbers don't necessarily equate to athletic greatness. There's no need for any changes unless the schools decide they need to change. They're not going to listen to someone singing sour grapes from another region of the State.

Exactly!  All they can do is help.  I’d rather have a well-seasoned coach and hungry players any day of the week.

On 11/29/2019 at 11:12 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

Where should we send Warren's Girls sports?   

Although Warren's Girls sports do not win many state championships the Girl Baskball team captured state in 2017 and the Track Team is always ranked high in the state and has won at least 4 state titles since 2000. 

11 hours ago, Lysander said:

No cannibalism recipes, please.

Geeez....... @Gipper thought you were into kidding around until I saw your downtick...let me try a limerick then.....”There once was a girl from Nantucket......”

Since the thread is fundamentally moronic, I assumed matching humor would be much more worthwhile.

Edited by Lysander
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lysander said:

Geeez....... @Gipper thought you were into kidding around until I saw your downtick...let me try a limerick then.....”There once was a girl from Nantucket......”

Since the thread is fundamentally moronic, I assumed matching humor would be much more worthwhile.

Sorry, man.  I was in a mood yesterday.  I did set you up pretty well.

• Thanks 1