Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Timing Issue

jets

Question

I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to notice this (but sitting in the stands this weekend as opposed to being on sideline coaching...well I guess you just notice odd things such as these) 

At the end of the New Pal/Valpo game, we are trying to do some math calculations as far as timing/running off/our the clock and we noticed either just one of those “oddities” or perhaps a flaw in the play-clock/game clock system. 

When a team gets a first down, the game-clock stops to move the chains. However the 40 starts immediately when the play is over. I probably wouldn’t have noticed, but we all were trying to figure it out so we all had our eyes fixated on the clock...probably took about 10 seconds , or ate into 10 seconds of the 40 second playclock to get the chains set. 

I don’t know if I have a question here, it was just something I’d never really payed attention to.

4 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, jets said:

I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to notice this (but sitting in the stands this weekend as opposed to being on sideline coaching...well I guess you just notice odd things such as these) 

At the end of the New Pal/Valpo game, we are trying to do some math calculations as far as timing/running off/our the clock and we noticed either just one of those “oddities” or perhaps a flaw in the play-clock/game clock system. 

When a team gets a first down, the game-clock stops to move the chains. However the 40 starts immediately when the play is over. I probably wouldn’t have noticed, but we all were trying to figure it out so we all had our eyes fixated on the clock...probably took about 10 seconds , or ate into 10 seconds of the 40 second playclock to get the chains set. 

I don’t know if I have a question here, it was just something I’d never really payed attention to.

That is correct, play clock goes. Game clock should start when the down box is set. Ideally with around 32 seconds on the play clock. 

• Thanks 1

Under the 25 second play clock the game clock wouldn't start until the 25 second play clock was started which was usually 12-15 seconds after the previous play ended. A similar pace is expected now but the game clock is often started before the ball is ready for play. IO's estimate is accurate. We shoot for 30-32. NCAA using a similar play clock wants the game clock started even sooner (34-36).

On 11/30/2019 at 10:53 PM, JustRules said:

Under the 25 second play clock the game clock wouldn't start until the 25 second play clock was started which was usually 12-15 seconds after the previous play ended. A similar pace is expected now but the game clock is often started before the ball is ready for play. IO's estimate is accurate. We shoot for 30-32. NCAA using a similar play clock wants the game clock started even sooner (34-36).

...and keep in mind that the NCAA uses 8 on-field officials for the FBS division games.  That's why they feel the ball can get set faster.

43 minutes ago, snrmike said:

...and keep in mind that the NCAA uses 8 on-field officials for the FBS division games.  That's why they feel the ball can get set faster.

Maybe a little but I find it about the same. Both are usually 28-32 seconds left on the play clock. I think the reason the FBS guys support it though is their games are so long and it's a simple way to shorten it by a couple minutes. 15-minute quarters is like playing a 5-quarter HS game!