Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Top 5 Coaching Jobs

Since it’s officially off-topic season I thought I’d generate some discussion.  I see this topic tossed about frequently at the collegiate level so I figured I’d pose it to the board.

Say you are a young grad with coaching experience and opportunity comes knocking.

What FIVE coaching gigs in Indiana would most excite you were the phone to ring?  If you are looking to build/maintain a powerhouse program that competes for state titles immediately/annually.

Furthermore, what job/job(s) out there that might not appear in the above category immediately would qualify as a “sleeping giants” and excite you most over the next 5-10 years?

Why?

Have at it.

Edited by Guest

36 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Since it’s officially off-topic season I thought I’d generate some discussion.  I see this topic tossed about frequently at the collegiate level so I figured I’d pose it to the board.

Say you are a young grad with coaching experience and opportunity comes knocking.

What FIVE coaching gigs in Indiana would most excite you were the phone to ring?  If you are looking to build/maintain a powerhouse program that competes for state titles immediately/annually.

Furthermore, what job/job(s) out there that might not appear in the above category immediately would qualify as a “sleeping giants” and excite you most over the next 5-10 years?

Why?

Have at it.

Best jobs:

Carmel, Warren, Ben Davis, Cathedral, Chatard

Sleeping giants:

Mount Vernon (Fortville) and Westfield. Both rapidly growing communities with good socio-economic demographics to boost. 

• Like 1

Best jobs: 

The big 4 of the MIC (Carmel, CG, WC, BD)

Catholic school powers (Roncalli, Chatard, Cathedral, Fort Wayne Dwenger, Luers, Memorial)

Rural-type powers (Linton, Pioneer, Gibson Southern, Heritage Hills, East Central, etc)

Penn and Mishawaka (Good administrations and fan support)

Sleeping Giants:

Zionsville, Noblesville, Warsaw, Elkhart Consolidated, and Franklin Central. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Temptation said:

Why?

Have at it.

I mean, I think three are obvious. BD, Carmel, and Warren. Coach Moore has made Center Grove a great job. I think LCC, Cathedral and Chatard would be a tie for 5.

Sleeping Giants:

I think you've all hit the big ones. I'd watch out for Pike.

Edited by BDGiant93

2 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

Columbus East is a top 10 job in the entire state... not even debatable.. 

The MIC power 4, Cathedral, Chatard, New PAL, CE 

This is the most correct answer I've seen.  I'd probably add Snider and/or Dwenger to the list although I don't know enough about Ft. Wayne demographics to be sure.

44 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

This is the most correct answer I've seen.  I'd probably add Snider and/or Dwenger to the list although I don't know enough about Ft. Wayne demographics to be sure.

I could probably add Snider, Dwenger and Memorial also on that list.

Honorable Mention : Roncalli, East Central. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

Columbus East is a top 10 job in the entire state... not even debatable.. 

The MIC power 4, Cathedral, Chatard, New PAL, CE 

While I would agree East is a top 10 program over the last 10-15 years, I struggle reasoning that it is a top 10 job in the entire state and I would attribute it to their conference affiliation.

The top 4 in the MIC are all better jobs and I would say there is at least 4-5 jobs in the HCC that are all better and that doesn't include Cathedral and Chatard and that's just Indy. Elite program for sure, just not sure it's an elite landing spot.

Just my opinion.

Certainly there would have to be a lot of speculation to answer this question accurately but did anyone account for “teaching responsibilities” (or lack thereof) when making/compiling their lists?

What do most HCC/MIC head coaches do all day from 7-3?

22 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Also have zero pension when they are done so there is that trade off 

Nothing from the state?

No 401K/matching?

They get to invest their money how they want?

Interesting...

35 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

I think a more interesting question might be....what 5 attributes make a football coaching job one of the best in the state.

I like it.  In no particular order:

1.  High enrollment school relative to class.

2.  Solid community support/high SES.

3.  Top notch facilities.

4.  Solid support from administration, other sport coaches willing to share athletes.

5.  “Cush” teaching responsibilities during the day.

1) Supportive administration and community

2) Strong work ethic

3) Big toolkit in dealing with a wide variety of young people

4) Holding everyone in the program accountable

5) Excellent reflection and innovation skills

Edited by BDGiant93
  • Like 2

On 12/2/2019 at 10:57 AM, dmizers3 said:

Snider and Dwenger would be an excellent opportunity for a coach wanting to continue 5 decades of tradition. But Homestead and Carroll have the facilities and growing enrollments. Snider and Dwenger's stronghold on Fort Wayne will come to an end at some point. Carroll's community is exploding on the north side of Fort Wayne. 

13 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

1) Supportive administration and community

2) Strong work ethic

3) Big toolkit in dealing with a wide variety of young people

4) Holding everyone in the program accountable

5) Excellent reflection and innovation skills

Ditto

What other sleeping giants are out there that haven't been mentioned?

I would think Homestead/Carroll with their population growth and playing in the SAC.

Mt. Vernon for the same reasons, plus they are in a solid 3A-5A conference in the HHC. 

Any of the struggling Evansville schools have a chance to be successful in the future (North, Bosse, Harrison?) 

I definitely think Pike has a chance to re-break through in 6A. With Moyers, they already demonstrated a chance to be a high-level team in the highest class and compete for state championships. 

Any rural schools with a tradition of success that have fallen on hard times a potential sleeping giant? 

7 minutes ago, MICFan34 said:

I would think Homestead/Carroll with their population growth and playing in the SAC.

Mt. Vernon for the same reasons, plus they are in a solid 3A-5A conference in the HHC. 

Any of the struggling Evansville schools have a chance to be successful in the future (North, Bosse, Harrison?) 

I definitely think Pike has a chance to re-break through in 6A. With Moyers, they already demonstrated a chance to be a high-level team in the highest class and compete for state championships. 

Any rural schools with a tradition of success that have fallen on hard times a potential sleeping giant? 

I think Evansville North will continue on their upward trend.

40 minutes ago, MICFan34 said:

Pretty much agree with your thought, but I still don’t buy this recently “reinvigorated” HHC as of yet.  Excepting New Pal, as a football conference overall, it still punches well below its weight.

Mt. Vernon’s recent Semistate appearance says more about the terribly weakened condition of that particular portion of the 4A bracket than it does anything else.  

I do agree that the prospects long term are more than good for Mt. Vernon and Pendleton.  Add that I do have a lot of respect for Kirschner.....but just how much longer is he going to keep plugging at it? 

10 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Pretty much agree with your thought, but I still don’t buy this recently “reinvigorated” HHC as of yet.  Excepting New Pal, as a football conference overall, it still punches well below its weight.

Mt. Vernon’s recent Semistate appearance says more about the terribly weakened condition of that particular portion of the 4A bracket than it does anything else.  

I do agree that the prospects long term are more than good for Mt. Vernon and Pendleton.  Add that I do have a lot of respect for Kirschner.....but just how much longer is he going to keep plugging at it? 

I just see teams like Delta, Yorktown, Pendleton Heights, Mt. Vernon, and New Pal, and that's a pretty decent top-half for a conference. A recently down Shelbyville program, Greenfield Central, and a resurgent New Castle, make the overall conference look way worse than what it is at face-value. 

But that's a great question. Maybe avoiding the 24/7 nature of the Ben Davis job reinvigorates him and he stays on for quite a few more years? 

21 hours ago, Titan32 said:

I think a more interesting question might be....what 5 attributes make a football coaching job one of the best in the state.

1. First and foremost, does the school already have an endzone camera? If not, are they willing to invest in one?

2. Are they willing to invest money into the football program? For instance, if you ask for an endzone camera, will they go the cheap route, or will they buy a top of the line model like a Hi-Pod X31?

3. Does the school have a digital LED down marker?

4. Does the school have a good chef for team meals? 

5. What is your recruiting budget?

Edited by Tanka Jahari
  • Haha 3

On 12/2/2019 at 10:57 AM, dmizers3 said:

Snider has had 5 coaches in its history .  The last 3 have all been from the same mold. Mike Hawley 1976-1990.  Russ Isaacs 1990-2009.  Kurt Tippmann 2009-present. All three are/were phenomenal.  

Fort Wayne buses kids all over the place so all the schools will be getting a diverse student body.   However, Snider has the best location as far as neighborhood kids go in FWCS.  It is a mix of blue collar and upper.middle class which usually makes for good football. The fan base is very loyal and passionate.  It’s a great job but the coach has to understand Snider’s culture.  

Dwenger’s fanbase is borderline insane.  However, there is also an insane amount of loyalty to the program by the alumni.  If you prove to the BD fans that you do it “the right way” and leave it all on the field, they love you forever.  They have great tailgating and have many 3rd generation kids playing football.  This alone makes it a viable place to win but they also have a great feeder system which churns our player after player. .  The traditions at Dwenger are very special and are expected to be followed but each senior class is allowed their own unique traditions as well.  It is literally an amazing culture unlike any other in the State(not necessarily better or worse, just very unique ). The job is definitely one of the best, however, you will be under a microscope by the fans.  Anything less than State is a let down with the exception of perhaps this season being the first in 5A.  Any season they don’t make Semi State is considered a huge bust.  But when you do win,  it’s a pretty  special place.