Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

1A 2020 Outlook

Fresh off the end of a great state championship weekend, I'm curious what GID's thoughts are on 1A next year.  I can't speak to the strength of the teams in the south, as I haven't seen them besides Lutheran last week, but I know there will be a few teams from the north that can compete. 

LCC - I'm sure LCC will reload from the skill and big guys that they're losing.  Barrett looked the part of a multi-state championship QB and Coach Nay has done a fantastic job at getting that program back to strength.  I know LCC has a solid freshman back (#25) who played when Schrader was hurt, but not sure what else they have in the lower classes.  Anyone want to enlighten?

South Adams - South Adams definitely has a nasty taste in their mouths after county rivals Adams Central sent them home short of what many in the southern part of the county thought was a definite shot at a state title.  They have the talent to repeat in the ACAC and contend for a state title.  Arnold is back with all of his fast and extremely talented receiving weapons, but they will need to replace some people up front.  They also lose major leaders on the defensive side in the ball in Sprunger and Stuber.  I have no doubt that they'll win Sectional 43 (unless Monroe Central as something to say about it), but can they take the next step?  I know they have the skill to do so.

Adams Central - AC surprised about everybody in the state, including those in the community, by returning to the semi-state game for the 3rd time in 4 years.  They have to replace some important players, especially Schwaller at QB and Voirol at DE/TE, but they return a talented incoming junior class.  There are some freshmen who may need to play roles, but we'll let that play out this summer.  I don't think it's a guarantee that AC wins Section 44, as we got a favorable draw this year.  If we played Northfield, Busco or Southwood in round 1, I'm not sure that we win the sectional.  Busco and Southwood will surely be solid again in what I would argue is the toughest sectional in 1A.

If you have info on any of the other teams in 1A, let the posting begin!  

1 hour ago, FlyingHigh said:

Fresh off the end of a great state championship weekend, I'm curious what GID's thoughts are on 1A next year.  I can't speak to the strength of the teams in the south, as I haven't seen them besides Lutheran last week, but I know there will be a few teams from the north that can compete. 

LCC - I'm sure LCC will reload from the skill and big guys that they're losing.  Barrett looked the part of a multi-state championship QB and Coach Nay has done a fantastic job at getting that program back to strength.  I know LCC has a solid freshman back (#25) who played when Schrader was hurt, but not sure what else they have in the lower classes.  Anyone want to enlighten?

Thoughts here are solely my own and carry no official line/direction/knowledge or even correctness.  Classes coming up through LCC's ranks are pretty competent and there are also a couple of good-sized classes classes coming up as well as a couple of really small classes ... from a numbers perspective.  @LCCAlum can speak better to the 2020 and 2012 freshman classes.  Lots of guys to replace/rebuild/reload.  By my count, 7-8 on defense and 7 on offense.  Good news, or perhaps bad depending on the way you look at it, is that they are mainly two-way players.  Given that the idea is to move more toward old-school LCC of having, optimally, 22 one-way players, it might be less of an issue moving forward as you can have a guy that's a good DB, but has stone hands Also some key players coming back too that have really started to shine toward the latter part of the season too.  Look for Dienhart and Buche's little brother to more active roles in 2020 ...  although the younger Buche did see catches in roughly nine games this season. As you mentioned, Smith had some nice time and performance this season too spelling Schrader.  The latter part of season will do wonders for Barrett's confidence and leadership levels ... as you also noted by his performance at LOS in the big game on that last drive and also by his performance in the Adams Central game too.  I think @Coach Nowlin also commented positively about him and how he handled that last drive of the of the first half in the RCHS game.  I've heard others refer to that drive as being the drive that was transformational for him.  Definitely a lot of work ahead and given the exodus of starters in a rebuilding year, it makes things a bit shakier for calling next year a reload year ... I'd still classify it as a rebuild year.  With Barrett's solidified performance in the second part of this season, and especially in the tourney, perhaps "modified-rebuild" might be a better term.

The top 12 to end the year in no particular order were; Lutheran, LCC, South Adams, Adams Central, Southwood, North Vermilion, Parke Heritage, West Washington, Busco, Monroe Central, Sheridan, Traders Point. 

I see mostly the same cast of characters being around. Are North Decatur, Attica, Milan, going to be players in the future? Those are schools I don't know much about save North Decatur which dropped us last year. Who else am I missing??

6 minutes ago, CoachVeatch said:

The top 12 to end the year in no particular order were; Lutheran, LCC, South Adams, Adams Central, Southwood, North Vermilion, Parke Heritage, West Washington, Busco, Monroe Central, Sheridan, Traders Point. 

I see mostly the same cast of characters being around. Are North Decatur, Attica, Milan, going to be players in the future? Those are schools I don't know much about save North Decatur which dropped us last year. Who else am I missing??

I thought that some folks had mentioned North Judson coming back stronger next season.  I'd be interested in seeing Covenant Christian given that they were the only other 1A school this season, besides LCC, to hold Lutheran under 7 TDs. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CoachVeatch said:

How will Monroe Central be?  I know they'll have Ullom for 2 more years, but I was thinking that a lot of their interior guys were seniors.  It seems like MC always have plenty of size.

4 minutes ago, FlyingHigh said:

@foxbat Do you know how many kids Traders Point is returning? They looked solid in the film against LCC for the first half or so.

I think they only return about 17 kids total.  I think their full roster was only around 25 or so for the season and I think they only dressed 20-21 kids for the LCC game.  It definitely took its toll on them in the second half, but it seemed to have less impact on them during the regular season.  With that said, LCC is a well-conditioned team since they have to compete in the Hoosier Conference, so it's probably less of an issue for higher-flying 1A teams in general 1A competition.  Like you, I also think Trader's Point looked pretty solid in their game with LCC ... just eventually succumbed to grind.  

36 minutes ago, FlyingHigh said:

How will Monroe Central be?  I know they'll have Ullom for 2 more years, but I was thinking that a lot of their interior guys were seniors.  It seems like MC always have plenty of size.

We will return 10 on offense and most of our defense. A good freshman group coming in should bolster our depth. We added a 3A week 1 opponent adding to an already tough schedule with the likes of Adams Central, South Adams, Eastern Hancock, and Shenandoah. I'm excited to continue to grow our program. 

• Like 2

This past season LCC had the most junior high football players they've had in over 10 years.  I believe the count was over 40 kids.  Both teams played very well but did not have perfect seasons.  There's several breakout players in each class and I expect the current freshman class at CC to see another state championship before their 4 years are up.  

22 minutes ago, LCC1776 said:

This past season LCC had the most junior high football players they've had in over 10 years.  I believe the count was over 40 kids.  Both teams played very well but did not have perfect seasons.  There's several breakout players in each class and I expect the current freshman class at CC to see another state championship before their 4 years are up.  

Those were a couple of good-sized classes coming up through the youth program ... the egg in the snake.  Next year's 7th grade class will be the pebble in the snake barring shaking the tree a bit.

WW returns just about everyone. Even return key players from injury. Week 1 we lost Bobby Stevens (2400 yd rusher his soph season). Week 4 saw Mike Leach lost for the season (300 pound 2 way lineman and obviously our strongest kid), and 1st sectional round we lost 2 way starter (C/LB or DT pending formation) Charles Madden go down. All 3 return for senior year to go with QB Holden Bowsman (37 TDs), TE/DE Jake strange and Lineman Bryce Brown, Jarren Roll and Landon Pearson (all 250+ and will be 3 year starters). 

Our biggest on the field loses (I'm gonna withhold all the coach stuff) are both WRs/CBs (Chase Farmer and Harrison Sanford) and 2 LBs in Hunter Pate and Mason Armstrong (split time at RB this year with current Freshman Roper McPheeters after the injury to stevens). Caleb Murphy also graduates this spring. He is a 3 star DE who is committed to IU (ranked 10th overall recruit in the state by 24/7). He missed all season this year also due to injury but his leadership was amazing all year.

All in All we should be primed for another deep run if everyone is able to return healthy. If I had a question mark for this team it would be #2 WR and DBs when we get spread out. I expect Parker Green to get shot at #1 as he has talent. Just been behind the other 2 guys. Strange is an amazing TE and is already a problem at 6'5" with good speed.  Already looking forward to it. Senior laden team next season.

Edited by WWFan
  • Like 2

I mean no disrespect to any program just my thoughts and opinions on 1A next year. South Adams will be the preseason favorite and will be absolutely loaded. They have an awesome group of young men that has size, talent and athleticism not to mention an incredible coach and staff. I think you have an incredible group of outstanding teams and amazing coaches following very close behind. I think LCC, Monroe Central, Adams Central and Sheridan will all be crazy talented and extremely well coached. I think it will take a great effort for someone outside of this group to get through this amazing group and surprise us all but that's why they play the games. Again I mean no disrespect to anyone just my personal thoughts. Everyone have a safe offseason and a blessed Christmas and New Year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CoachVeatch said:

We will return 10 on offense and most of our defense. A good freshman group coming in should bolster our depth. We added a 3A week 1 opponent adding to an already tough schedule with the likes of Adams Central, South Adams, Eastern Hancock, and Shenandoah. I'm excited to continue to grow our program. 

Good luck!!!

• Like 1

As far as Winamac goes

QB..

Theyll return Russell Compton for his Jr year. Hes thrown for  2,461 yards in two seasons. Will be 3 year guy. 

Backfield. 

Senior Trent Fox ran over 700 yards as a junior and hell be a  3 year starter .They'll have a new fullback next year with junior Beau Brandt more than likely..he started on D this past yr. Their wingback will be Hayden Clark. He missed the last 7 games this past year. Hell be a junior.  Will be a 3 year guy. Junior to be Shaun Pratt will be another kid in the mix. 

Wide Receivers

Senior to be Brayden Lynch. He tied the school record for receptions in a year with 45. Junior to be Jaden Terry and Senior to be Cale Paseresi will be other dudes along with an incoming sophomore who didnt play last year due to injuries on 12/5/18 and an incoming freshman. 

Offensive line

Theyll return Junior to bes Logan Schultz (6'6 278) and Kyle Olds (6'1 247) both will be 3 year starters. Olds missed the last 5 games last year. Senior Dakota Podell (5'11 235) will be back for his 3rd starting season. Senior Pat Kiefer who missed all of last year will be back at center (6'2 218). Had he played last year hed be a 3 yr starter. Juniors to be Brendan Day and Jaxon Roudebush got time as starters. 

Defense

DL. 

Jr to be Remi Schwartz..Logan Schultz and Kyle Olds all return. So will Dakota Podell. 

Lbs..

Patrick Kiefer will be returning. As will Hayden Clark and Beau Brandt. Russell Compton started a few games too. 

Dbs. 

Jaden Terry, Cale Paseresi, Trent Fox, Brayden Lynch started games. An incoming freshman and Shaun Pratt could be used too. 

The Warriors had 7 starters miss 36 1/2 games last year. 6 of those kids will be back. 

Edited by Ultimate Warrior
  • Like 3
  • Disdain 1

50 minutes ago, Duke of Denham said:

No idea, but that QB was a handful for anyone.  Lcc and TP probably heading to another sectional showdown next year.  

Hart was a senior this season, so they'll need to replace him, plus almost a third of the team that graduates.  What they will have going for them though is just about everyone coming back is battle-tested.  They are two-for-two on appearing in sectional championships since being cleared for IHSAA tournament play, so you are probably right that they'll pull a hat trick.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Hart was a senior this season, so they'll need to replace him, plus almost a third of the team that graduates.  What they will have going for them though is just about everyone coming back is battle-tested.  They are two-for-two on appearing in sectional championships since being cleared for IHSAA tournament play, so you are probably right that they'll pull a hat trick.

The only game I saw was the Lcc game and TP really held their own throughout.  Pretty impressive for such a young program.  

14 hours ago, Ultimate Warrior said:

As far as Winamac goes

QB..

Theyll return Russell Compton for his Jr year. Hes thrown for  2,461 yards in two seasons. Will be 3 year guy. 

Backfield. 

Senior Trent Fox ran over 700 yards as a junior and hell be a  3 year starter .They'll have a new fullback next year with junior Beau Brandt more than likely..he started on D this past yr. Their wingback will be Hayden Clark. He missed the last 7 games this past year. Hell be a junior.  Will be a 3 year guy. Junior to be Shaun Pratt will be another kid in the mix. 

Wide Receivers

Senior to be Brayden Lynch. He tied the school record for receptions in a year with 45. Junior to be Jaden Terry and Senior to be Cale Paseresi will be other dudes along with an incoming sophomore who didnt play last year due to injuries on 12/5/18 and an incoming freshman. 

Offensive line

Theyll return Junior to bes Logan Schultz (6'6 278) and Kyle Olds (6'1 247) both will be 3 year starters. Olds missed the last 5 games last year. Senior Dakota Podell (5'11 235) will be back for his 3rd starting season. Senior Pat Kiefer who missed all of last year will be back at center (6'2 218). Had he played last year hed be a 3 yr starter. Juniors to be Brendan Day and Jaxon Roudebush got time as starters. 

Defense

DL. 

Jr to be Remi Schwartz..Logan Schultz and Kyle Olds all return. So will Dakota Podell. 

Lbs..

Patrick Kiefer will be returning. As will Hayden Clark and Beau Brandt. Russell Compton started a few games too. 

Dbs. 

Jaden Terry, Cale Paseresi, Trent Fox, Brayden Lynch started games. An incoming freshman and Shaun Pratt could be used too. 

The Warriors had 7 starters miss 36 1/2 games last year. 6 of those kids will be back. 

So this is the year they go over .500?  15-18 record under Barr I think this has to be the year where the Warriors take a step forward.  A deep run into the Sectional could really help the win/loss record at the end of the season.  

23 hours ago, CoachVeatch said:

I think if the Jones kid (frosh) commits himself to the weightroom, he could be a player. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 1:00 PM, Duke of Denham said:

So this is the year they go over .500?  15-18 record under Barr I think this has to be the year where the Warriors take a step forward.  A deep run into the Sectional could really help the win/loss record at the end of the season.  

I believed going into 17 and 19 theyd have winning records. Rogers missing the LaVille game, Tompos going from CMA to Culver for the semester and AD messing up paper work with a player forcing the warriors to forfeit nj game changed that season. 

This past year. The injuries were killer. Missing a game or two is one thing but having 4 kids miss 5+ is different. Huetten/Murray/Kiefer changes the Judson/Culver games. Podell moves from C to RG. Townsend is back at FB gives them weapon there for both. Huetten adds major deep threat and kiefer is long snapper and starts at MLB. Not to mention he starts at C.

Really close to having a winning record this past year. Should be 5-4 or 6-3 going into sect next year if we don't have major injuries. 

2021 is the big year imo

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

Parke Heritage loses 2 all state players in Austin Petrillo and Logan white. Wolves return their top 2 receivers including all state sophomore Noble Johnson and 4 out of 5 starting lineman. Freshman Christian Johnson will be starting next year at the QB position as a sophomore and I had a hall of fame coach tell me he could be the best QB hes ever had. Especially after being behind Logan White for a year. Wolves will continue to grow but I think they are going to have another good* year  

Other WRC schools:

Will attica even have a team? 

North Vermillion will be tough as usual. 

Covington will struggle. 

Riverton Parke will be horrendous.