Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Breakout Juniors in 2020

Who are some of the to-be Juniors that are poised to breakout in 2020? Could be someone who is inline to inherent a great situation or someone who saw significant success as a Sophomore. Some of my favorites: 

-Clark Barrett, QB, LCC... looked impressive in the state finals game

-Gehrig Slunaker, QB, MV... going into his 3rd year as a starter... led MV to the Semi-State, also has a great to-be Junior WR in Ashden Gentry

-Houston Swan, QB, Eastern Hancock... broke almost every school record as a Sophomore and has great weapons who were also Sophomores in Cole Rainbolt and Landon O'Neal

-Colin Price, RB, Zionsville... led all 6a RB's as a Sophomore

-Omar Cooper, LN... Nearly 1k yards receiving as a Sophomore in the MIC

Would love to hear who else is out there. 

8 minutes ago, cg_holmeaid said:

I would say Caden Curry DL at Center Grove, but I don’t know if you would consider his sophomore year his breakout year or not.

I think any Sophomore playing for a state finalists is in an excellent position going into next year

Cooper Jones from Valpo.  His dad is Eric Jones played for Les Klein at Portage back in the late 80s and went on to play three years of defensive end for Lou Holts at Notre Dame.

Would like to see Cooper become the first player from the region to be named Indiana Mr. Football since he competed in the state finals.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cg_holmeaid said:

Yes

Big fan of his and the young man at LCC (QB).  They really impressed.  Sky is the limit for both.

Looked like both have the "it" factor.

If we are talking about breakout in terms of putting together a run.... Brady Allen at GIbson Southern. 

OBVIOUSLY he has already broke out onto the stage and has been there his first 2 seasons. 

but Gibson Southern hasn’t made it out of Sectionals, with losses to Evansville Memorial last year (56-28) and Heritage Hill this year (21-20).

Allen works hard in the offseason attending top camps too and there was a noticeable jump in play this year.  He has a good slate of things this offseason including the all American combine in San Antonio.  Hoping he takes his game up another level.

again he obviously isn’t a “breakout” candidate in most senses but he could breakout into a new level of play that puts him in the top of his recruiting class nationwide 

On 12/3/2019 at 11:12 AM, Tiger391 said:

Colton Pence Evansville Memorial QB. The tigers are going ask a lot of him passing and running in 2020. Should put up some big numbers! 

Colton’s going to be a senior.

But I would put Josh Russell out there as a junior-to-be to watch.  Tough kid.

Adams Central had two 1,000-yard rushers as sophomores - Blake Heyerly (fullback) and Alex Currie (wing) - behind an inexperienced line.  The OL will be improved and should open up even more holes for them.  Honestly, their stats may not be much better, as it would be best for AC if our QB and other wing got more involved in the running game.  They will both be fantastic runners and defensive players (Heyerely at LB and Currie at S).

South Adams will have one of the most athletic juniors in all of 1A in Aidan Wanner.  I'm sure SA will use him diversely as a WR and in the backfield.  Aidan comes from an athletic family with a history of carrying the SA football program.  He'll thrive with the talented class above him.

• Like 1